PDA

View Full Version : Interested in some kind of Pod

Sidewinder
09-15-2011, 02:24
Either Peapod or PolarPod. I have some questions for you who use these.

I plan on using it in +/- 15*F. I am short 5'5. I like to sleep on a diagonal. Will I be able to do this in a Peapod or should I just get the bigger PolarPod. Also, what is the weight of the PolarPod. There are no weight specs for this model on the TTTG website.

What else will I need beside a Pod to get this these temperatures?

Thanks,

~S~

smithobx
09-15-2011, 09:24
Sidewinder, The PeaPod weighs approximately 48 oz. and is available with an overstuff option for extreme conditions. If you should consider the PolarPod is more a function of build than height. Give Dale a call and discuss it with him to make sure you make the right choice. With the proper top quilt the temps. you mention should pose no problem for either one.--John

Sidewinder
09-16-2011, 20:49
Thanks, emailed Dale with questions, waiting for a reply so I know what to order.

~S~

BillyBob58
09-17-2011, 08:07
My PeaPod weighs 42 oz, it looks like they put more down( 24.5 900fp compared to 19 wow) in the ones TTTG makes. So it is going to be even warmer than mine, even though it is rated at the same temp!

As for what else you will need to use with it, there are so many variables. A major one is which hammock you use it with. The wider/deeper/more bathtub like the hammock, the more it will lift the "top quilt" part, causing a big gap between you and the insulation, and raising the usable temp top wise. A more narrow hammock will allow the pod to maybe even- in most spots- to drape down right on top of you. Under those conditions, I have been able to easily do low 30s and even be ok in hi 20s, just using the light weight warm clothing I had with me and wore in the daytime anyway. Using those same clothes and a summer sleeping bag on top plus a space blanket in the bottom, I have been warm at 10F.

Another variable is how much you are willing to close it. Having a 6 or even 3" vent hole makes a huge dif compared to being closed down to just a 1/4" hole or even close all the way. ( I know, we worry about condensation, but I have never really had any, and some others have reported the same). If you have a significant vent near your face, the warm air will rush right out unless you have some insulated clothing you can use to make a "neck collar" to block the warm air from rushing from your chest area and lower body, right out of the vent.

I have always found the 20F bottom rating to be easily met. But again there are variables controlled by the user and how tight you adjust it. You can play with it a bit when you 1st set it up, and adjust it so that there is anywhere from a big gap under you, or so that it is just barely touching your back, but not tight enough to compress the loft. Again, the adjustment needed will vary with the hammock. Leaving a big gap can be useful when it is not very cold. Or this space can be used to add more insulation, like a down parka or quilts or whatever you have handy, to take this WAY down below the 20 rating. Same on top, adding quilts can make it WAY warmer than 20. But at some point, you run out of room for adding stuff and end up having trouble closing it on top or compressing the insulation if you do close it. A PolarPod will give you much more room for adding other insulation.

I have always been able to sleep on the diagonal. But I can not always get in some of the extreme diagonal positions which I sometimes use for fetal position without compressing the sides or even popping the Velcro open. But for the most part, I can sleep in my normal hammock positions. Again, all of this will vary with the hammock.

And again, this pod should be a good bit warmer than mine.

R00K
09-17-2011, 08:20
Wow, some detailed advice BillyBob!

Also just wanted to add that I found it tricky sleeping in much of a diagonal position while in a pod (wasn't a Speer product).

BillyBob58
09-17-2011, 09:52
Wow, some detailed advice BillyBob!

Also just wanted to add that I found it tricky sleeping in much of a diagonal position while in a pod (wasn't a Speer product).

Thanks I guess- I have the curse of being long winded. Seems I feel I must cover every possible detail every time! So, here is some more! :rolleyes:

Yes, some very few folks have reported the actual PeaPod not being big enough for them or their hammocks. I think one case was a big guy with an ENO double who really liked to get way diagonal. But at 6'1" and 210 lbs, I have not had any problems at all getting in my normal digonal position in my narrow Claytor No Net or my Speer 8.5 model. Which is not to say that there are not some positions I am able to be comfortable in in my hammocks which I can not really use with a closed up PeaPod. As wide as it is, it is just not wide enough for those positions, not if mostly closing the top layer . But normal diagonal or on side or even fetal, no problem whatsoever.

But, I must say that some of those positions can also cause potential problems with many other UQs I have used. Most of them are not quite wide enough to completely cover every thing in some of the extreme diagonal/fetal combo positions which I find extra comfy in some hammocks. But it is worse with the Pod because I am wanting to close the pod on top.

Still, despite pros and cons, the PeaPod is one mighty fine and a draft free- assuming you deal with the vent issues- system for keeping warm top and bottom.

Sidewinder
09-17-2011, 22:38
Appreciate your answers. Do you know anything about the polar pod?

I think I need one of these pods thingies but not sure which one to get. I know i said 15*f but I'm thinking now that I'd like to go as low as 0*F and not sure if the regular peapod would work. Do you know if tttg will overstuff the peapod as an option?

Thanks,

~S~

BillyBob58
09-18-2011, 16:15
Appreciate your answers. Do you know anything about the polar pod?

I think I need one of these pods thingies but not sure which one to get. I know i said 15*f but I'm thinking now that I'd like to go as low as 0*F and not sure if the regular peapod would work. Do you know if tttg will overstuff the peapod as an option?

Thanks,

~S~

It looks to me that it is already overstuffed compared to mine, it weighs 6 oz more which nearly all down. Mine was rated at 20F, but remember all pod ratings are primarily for the bottom. Top ratings are subject to so many variables such as I have already mentioned in the original post.

I'm sure my PeaPod, which has 5 oz less 900fp down than these new ones, will easily go to zero just by adding insulation as needed. For example, a down Parka or summer quilt plus space blanket/vapor barrier in the bottom will def take it way lower than the rated 20 on bottom, as will similar tricks on top. JUST a space blanket in the bottom got me to 10F OK, along with warm clothes and a summer bag on top. Again, the current heavier model should be a good bit warmer.

I don't know much about the PolarPod, never even seen one. It has an additional 6 oz of down, plus an option for more overstuff is available. It is one foot longer and 1.5 feet wider than a PeaPod, and I see it is rated to 10F instead of 20. But the main advantage I see for deep winter below zero use is that the larger dimensions will make it much easier to add all kinds of insulation at those times when you need it. Lots of room!

Sidewinder
09-18-2011, 18:42
It looks to me that it is already overstuffed compared to mine, it weighs 6 oz more which nearly all down.

I got an email from Dale yesterday stating that the Peapod weighs 38ozs and it's the Polarpod that weighs 48ozs. Something about someone making a typo on their site.

Beside more room, another advantage of the Polarpod is the ability for it to fit their Switchback line of hammocks. Dale mentioned that the extra material was incorporated to ensure complete closure on these hammocks.

I'm leaning towards a Peapod right now as the quilt to start me off into winter camping. At 10ozs lighter maybe I won't need a pulk!

~S~

Darby
09-19-2011, 07:22
Smithobx (John) confused the two weights, the PeaPod weighs approx. 38 oz. and the PolarPod comes in at about 48 oz.

Cheers, Dale

BillyBob58
09-19-2011, 08:26
Smithobx (John) confused the two weights, the PeaPod weighs approx. 38 oz. and the PolarPod comes in at about 48 oz.

Cheers, Dale

OK then, sounds like the PeaPod is pretty much unchanged from Speer's last models ( and mine ). So I guess the experiences I have had ( stated above) with mine should be pretty identical with the new ones, though YMMV. And my experience is pretty much like TTTG ( and Speer ) had rated them: 20F NOMINALLY. Meaning never a problem for me to be warm with pod alone at 20F on the bottom. And at least with the right hammock and some warm clothing that I would have with me any way, no trouble ON TOP in the 30s and OK in high 20s. But not quite as warm ON TOP with some wider or deeper hammocks, more likely to need a light TQ. Add a TQ on top or bottom, and/or a space blanket and spare clothing or even a pad to the bottom under the hammock, then you can go much colder. The only limitation is when you run out of room to add stuff.

Time to remind folks of my friend who has a summer 55F rated down PeaPod which he has used for our last several trips. He has used this repeatedly in the mid 20s-30s, and been toasty warm and comfortable. He usually adds a pad under the hammock, or a space blanket, and a (30f?) TQ and is always very happy with the results.

BillyBob58
09-19-2011, 08:41
Of course, all of this is in answer to your questions based on the fact that you want to take the pod approach. I will always think this is about the most guaranteed/efficient way to be warm in a hammock. Primarily because it is the most guaranteed way to avoid drafts around the head and neck, assuming you close it most of the way or use some simple technique to block cold air running out of however much vent you use- a faux neck collar.

But it is not for every one and not optimum for every non-bridge hammock and not for some hammocks period.

Though more care will be needed to avoid drafts, something like a zero rated JRB MWUQ on a JRB Bridge ( or non-bridge ) hammock, used with a TQ which is wide enough for the user to avoid drafts ( varies with how wide/thick the user is) and used with a good hood, can be a great approach. And feels less "restricted". You do have to learn to keep things tucked when you move, but I found that is a skill I improved on over time.

Sidewinder
09-19-2011, 15:10
Ok you convinced me. I'm going with the peapod, just trying to determine how much overstuffing will help me get to 0*F. I asked Dale if the under stuff could be placed just on the bottom, since at those temps I will always have some sort of top quilt.

Getting excited about the idea of winter camping. Never done that in a hammock before. Sounds like I need to get more clothing too!

~S~

BillyBob58
09-19-2011, 16:12
Ok you convinced me. I'm going with the peapod, just trying to determine how much overstuffing will help me get to 0*F. I asked Dale if the under stuff could be placed just on the bottom, since at those temps I will always have some sort of top quilt.

Getting excited about the idea of winter camping. Never done that in a hammock before. Sounds like I need to get more clothing too!

~S~

I convinced you? :scared: I didn't mean to do that! I mean, I have like my PeaPod experience and all, but I wouldn't try to convince someone over another approach, cause I also love a JRB MW4 on a bridge, and I still don't think a HHSS is all that shabby.

But I do think you will like it, though you won't really have anything else to compare with. And it does have it's pros which are hard to beat, like the equiv of a good mummy bag when it comes to built in head warmth. Assuming it does not bother you to cinch 'er down with just a tiny vent.

And as you are getting it anyway, the versatility is really hard to beat. Here are two other tricks hard to match with most systems:
1: movable down head to middle to foot. So, If you are already using a good separate thick hood and maybe a leg pad so that you don't need so much loft under your feet, you can push most of the down towards the center, to really max out the loft around your middle. Doing this, I can get way more than the rated loft at particular spots. And wearing booties inside a sleeping bag with a leg pad, I probably don't need much of the pod loft there anyway.
2: With a narrow Claytor hammock- with which I can lay comfy on my side- (maybe some other hammocks also) I can rotate the pod after I turn so that the vent is right in front of, or a little below, my mouth/nose. I have my head propped on the edge of this hammock, so my condensing breath goes right out to the ground. And several inches of loft will be laying down right on the side of my head/neck. I'm here to tell you this is about as warm as you could wish.
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/2/2/9/img_2333_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=8040&c=member&orderby=title&direction=ASC&imageuser=229&cutoffdate=-1)

Considering heat rises, there won't be much cold air coming in or going out of the vent. I think you can see why drafts will not be a problem with this technique! And I could of course close it down even more.

But I was really hoping you would get the PolarPod and tell what that thing is like! ;)

Darby
09-20-2011, 08:19

I was the one confused, I had the weight wrong on the website. It is corrected now. I need more coffee...

Cheers, Dale

BlazeAway
09-20-2011, 08:27
I have the PolarPod with 6 oz. of overfill.
Fits like hand in glove with the WB Traveler.
I use it with a tq or a sleeping bag.

I love the PolarPod.

Sidewinder
09-20-2011, 13:19
I have the PolarPod with 6 oz. of overfill.
Fits like hand in glove with the WB Traveler.
I use it with a tq or a sleeping bag.

I love the PolarPod.

What temps do you bring the polar pod down to? 6 oz ov over stuff is lot! If you don't mind me asking, how tall are you and do you feel that you need the polar pod to get on a good diagonal?

What made you get the polar pod vs the peapod?

~S~

BlazeAway
09-20-2011, 13:32
What temps do you bring the polar pod down to? 6 oz ov over stuff is lot! If you don't mind me asking, how tall are you and do you feel that you need the polar pod to get on a good diagonal?

What made you get the polar pod vs the peapod?

~S~

I have had it down to -3 C.
I am 192 cm. tall.
I can not feel any restriction on how I lay in the hammock when the PolarPod is attached.

As I understand it the PolarPod is designed for lower temps than the PeaPod.

BillyBob58
09-20-2011, 16:12
I have had it down to -3 C.
I am 192 cm. tall.
I can not feel any restriction on how I lay in the hammock when the PolarPod is attached.

As I understand it the PolarPod is designed for lower temps than the PeaPod.

So you are pretty tall then, about 6'3" by our old fashioned way of measuring. And you have been to about 26 or 27F, (I think).

I can not imagine being restricted in a Polar Pod, as it is about 1.5 feet wider than a PeaPod, which restricts me only in some positions, but not in normal diagonal. ( I am 6'1")

I would love a PolarPod to play with. Especially if I lived in a colder climate. Of course the weight and bulk at first seems a little excessive. But, if you are comparing it to 2 full length size LONG winter or warmer than 20F quilts( a TQ + UQ), it(48oz) is probably not really all that excessive. Especially considering that is 30 oz of 900fp down! Plus, considering the head protection built in, you probably need to add a thick hood for apples to apples comparison.

Sidewinder
09-20-2011, 16:49
Thanks BlazeAway!

Good points BB. I am still leaning towards the peapod because of the weight. I am short 5'5" so dont think i will need the extra room of the polar pod. I asked Dale if I could overstuff the bottom 4 tubes to get the pea pod to lower temps and how much overstuff he thinks I need to get to 0*F.

~S~

smithobx
09-22-2011, 08:57
Sorry, My Bad!!- John

BillyBob58
09-27-2011, 07:42
Sorry, My Bad!!- John

So how much down do the Pea Pods and Polar Pods have? My 20F Pea Pod had either 19 or 20 oz of down, but I see the PeaPod at TTTG specs as 24.5 oz of down and 38 oz total weight?

Sidewinder
09-27-2011, 13:42
Thank you all for helping me decide what to get (especially BillyBob & Dale).

I ordered a Peapod with overstuff 2oz in the bottom 4 tubes.

I can't wait to get it and try it out!

~S~

BillyBob58
09-27-2011, 15:23
We await your test reports! Good luck, hope it works for you!

Sidewinder
10-27-2011, 01:03
:scared:Oh-My-God:scared:

This is THE Biggest, Baddest down item I have ever seen!

Words cannot describe this. peapod makes it sound smallish. Wow! Is all I can say. Just stunned, really...it's like they artfully sewed 4 high loft Sleeping bags together. I had to search around then house to find something to store it in. I am using a Huge contractor garbage bag like 42 gallon size. Nothing else I had could contain the beast!

It packs down into a 4.5x7.5x14" stuff sack and weighs 2 pounds 11 Ozs. I got it with 2 Ozs overstuff in the bottom 4 tubes for a total of 26.5oz of 900 fill down. Now that i see it, what i paid for was a steal!

It's going to be awhile before I can challenge the temp range of this thing. I will try to get pictures this weekend when I hang it.

~S~

R00K
10-27-2011, 04:40
I would love a pod for car camping/extreme cold backpacking.

They make me drool a little every time I see one.

Mmmmm... Waaarrrrmmm.

MedicineMan
10-27-2011, 05:33
Def. use the PeaPod or PolarPod with a Traveler or a hammock very similar to it--just to reinforce what has been said, the shallow nature of the Traveler will allow the Pod to lie on you removing the sizeable air space (that would need to be heated) that is created when using the more pronounced trough style hammocks.
Not that you will need more room for the diagonal lay but if you do or anyone else is compressing down or inadvertently opening the velcro study the MountainHardware Sleeping Bag Expander pictured below.
My 'normal' 30F PeaPod wasn't enough so a saint-Samaritan added 6oz of 900fp down to it and then I added the sleeping bag expander.
If you are wanting to avoid the issue of moisture inside the pod generated by completely velcroing yourself inside the pod, look at a JRB down hood--it mates perfectly with the velcro of the PeaPod....speaking of velcro and the sleeping bag expander-it comes with zipper-simply remove then and add velcro.
One reason I was compressing down in my pod system when going for the diagonal lay was because I was (and will continue when temps warrant) using a double pod system....the inner pod was/is a 20F Wallcreeper and the PeaPod the outer.
I also have the original Speer Pod rated at something (sorry can't remember the exact rating) like 45F (or was it 55F). It is sewn through construction and probably only intended for mild temps. I wonder how it would do as a comby with PeaPod or the PolarPod.....might have to experiment with that combo this winter.
Anyway congratulations on your pod!

Sidewinder
10-27-2011, 21:52
Def. use the PeaPod or PolarPod with a Traveler or a hammock very similar to it--just to reinforce what has been said, the shallow nature of the Traveler will allow the Pod to lie on you removing the sizeable air space (that would need to be heated) that is created when using the more pronounced trough style hammocks.
Not that you will need more room for the diagonal lay but if you do or anyone else is compressing down or inadvertently opening the velcro study the MountainHardware Sleeping Bag Expander pictured below.
My 'normal' 30F PeaPod wasn't enough so a saint-Samaritan added 6oz of 900fp down to it and then I added the sleeping bag expander.
If you are wanting to avoid the issue of moisture inside the pod generated by completely velcroing yourself inside the pod, look at a JRB down hood--it mates perfectly with the velcro of the PeaPod....speaking of velcro and the sleeping bag expander-it comes with zipper-simply remove then and add velcro.
One reason I was compressing down in my pod system when going for the diagonal lay was because I was (and will continue when temps warrant) using a double pod system....the inner pod was/is a 20F Wallcreeper and the PeaPod the outer.
I also have the original Speer Pod rated at something (sorry can't remember the exact rating) like 45F (or was it 55F). It is sewn through construction and probably only intended for mild temps. I wonder how it would do as a comby with PeaPod or the PolarPod.....might have to experiment with that combo this winter.
Anyway congratulations on your pod!

Thanks MedicineMan! Really appreciate the great tips. I can already tell there is going to a bit of learning curve to this thing. I'm going to sleep in it tonight with my traveler. Just tried to hang it and did a test lay. I could tell that I was compressing the down. Had the end of the pod lined up with the hammock ends and seemed too tight for the pod. Do you try to get the ends of the pod around the gathered ends or is it ok to close it up and let the gathered end stick out a little?

I will continue to fiddle with it. Report back in the morning!

~S~

MedicineMan
10-27-2011, 22:27
The gathered ends can be as way out of the pod as you need.....or on one end the gathered end can be inside the pod. For me both ends of the hammock are 6-8 inches out of the pod and I use the cord from the pod to cinch down the hammock at the point where the distal ends of the pod wrap around the hammock.
In my youtube channel there is a vid showing my step by step approach to the double pod system but cant remember if it details the ends but I know it covers the JRB hood attachment and the sleeping bag extender inserted into place---that extender gives me 8 inches more of girth where I needed it to prevent down compression.
Def. tell us how it goes with the pod. The PeaPod was/is one of the great hammock inventions and with the Traveler and those like it you dont have to carry the extra insulation on top so you are in essence carrying a full length UQ and TQ just all connected into one; so I wonder why its not used more.
I think Wisenber has several PeaPods--one rated to 30F and one to 20F so I think the 30F model could see much use throughout the year.
If you are like me, when using the PeaPod on a several night journey I dont separate the PeaPod from the Traveler once it is set up----or even set it up at home--then both together go into the stuff sack. Once in camp up goes the tarp then the Pod/hammock and done! much quicker than dealing with a UQ and TQ and hammock.
Now another combo I've used is with another great invention in hammockdom...combining a PeaPod and the MacIX hammock sock...in the deep winter when anything coming down H20 wise will be solid there is no need to carry a tarp!
Last year on Roan first night I was with full on winter tarp set up---second night per Mac's suggestion just the pod system and the hammock sock and I was good to 1.6F in the non stop 20k winds we had.
What has gotten me excited was watching BlazeAway put his PeaPod into a ULA Ohm!

Sidewinder
10-28-2011, 15:35
Ok, so I spent the night in the "Pod" It was about 50*F when I went in. I was very warm. Sometime in the middle of the night, I got over heated and had to opener her up to vent.

Around 4 or 5am the temp dropped to 41-42*F and I closed it full over me. I was a little afraid of re-breathing my own CO2 that I stayed awake. I was feeling some chill and noticed that it was coming from the Velcro area. I was wearing shorts and a tee shirt (normally I wear a smartwool base layer) but thought I would see how warm it was with just minimal clothing. Also had on a fleece hat. The cold seeping from the Velcro area was enough to make me worry about the 20 degree temp rating. I think it would be a better design if the Velcro area overlapped by a few inches or had some collar or baffle that sleeping bags often have next to the zippers.

On inspection I also noticed that there are 8 tubes that make up the quilt. The bottom 4 and the top 2 have baffles between the tubes. However, between the bottom 4 tubes the two top tubes, my quilt has sewn through stitching. I am not sure if all the Pods are that way or not. Maybe they had to do that in order to add the overstuff and sew it back? It seems like an area where cold could seep in as well. Now granted I am cold sleeper and have to take away about 10 degrees in warmth to any rated sleeping bag/quilt to get an accurate number for me. I also feel that I could have gotten the quilt closer to the bottom of my hammock. As it stood there was about an inch or two gap between the hammock bottom and the quilt.

It is the warmest quilt I have, but I think it's going to take a while before I can dial it in. For starters, this thing is so long that there is a lot of space (air) that I am sure my body is not doing a good job of heating. I am not sure why the Pod is as long as it is but for me if it were a foot shorter on both ends, it would be more thermal efficient. My thoughts at this point are to stuff clothing that I already carry to fill up the voids at the ends of the hammock. I think with this quilt I will need to have some sort of top covering to reduce exposure to the heat loss on from the Velcro closure. I may try installing some sort of batting over the Velcro area to correct it.

When I think of the difference between my traditional quilts and the Pod, they are many. One of the nice things I really appreciate about the Pod is that I move around a lot, back to side, side to stomach and repeat. With my traditional quilts, I always feel the draft as I shift and have to reposition the quilts to accommodate my new body position. Once inside the Pod, I can move around a great deal without introducing drafts.

The feel of the Pod is really different as well. Kind of like being in big roomy mummy sleeping bag. It was difficult to tell where the hammock ended and where the quilt started. Overall I am intrigued by the Pod and what it can do. Theoretically this set up should be a lot warmer then the equivalent UQ/TQ because of the way it wraps around you. I will be spending the next few months trying to bridge theory and reality.

~S~

MedicineMan
10-28-2011, 16:36
Was the PeaPod on top draping onto your body---or was there any air gap? If so you must fix that.
Getting rid of the gap between the hammock and the bottom of the peapod is easy fix too--just take the ends of the peapod further away from the hammock body, like maybe beyond the gathered ends before cinching the ends of the peapod down.....this will also reduce the air space on the ends your body must heat.
Excess clothing in the ends is smart to further reduce heating volumes.
That sleeping bag extended (once zipper is removed and velcro added) does overlap on each side of the velcro closure much like a draft tube...but at your side I dont think you need the extra width it provides.
Here is my vid on my pod system:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO_haqJkVAE
Probably wont help too much to watch but cant hurt.

Sidewinder
10-28-2011, 16:51
Was the PeaPod on top draping onto your body---or was there any air gap? If so you must fix that.
Getting rid of the gap between the hammock and the bottom of the peapod is easy fix too--just take the ends of the peapod further away from the hammock body, like maybe beyond the gathered ends before cinching the ends of the peapod down.....this will also reduce the air space on the ends your body must heat.
Excess clothing in the ends is smart to further reduce heating volumes.
That sleeping bag extended (once zipper is removed and velcro added) does overlap on each side of the velcro closure much like a draft tube...but at your side I dont think you need the extra width it provides.
Here is my vid on my pod system:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO_haqJkVAE
Probably wont help too much to watch but cant hurt.

The pod was on top of me with the exception of my left side. There the wall of the traveler pushed the material of the pod up slightly. I did find myself pulling the top of the pod over me from time to time. That how I felt the cold from the Velcro.

Wow, just watched your video! Your set up looks awesome. I bet you can get well into the negatives with that. How low have you taken it?

The MH extender looks cool, did you sew the Velcro yourself? I have zero sewing skills and would have to get someone to do that for me. Good idea though. Will have to think about that for sure. I really appreciate your help. Doesn't seem like there are many people using the pod.

~S~

MedicineMan
10-28-2011, 17:02
Not many using the pod---and that is strange indeed---the use of the Traveler with the pod (Thanks to Billy Bod) made all the difference in the world.
NO I dont sew yet--this winter will try to sew two pieces of material-still looking for kevlar gloves to protect myself in this risky venture! HA!
Have a little granny type seamstress that did it for me--$10 for her efforts.
Did you see in the vid how the sleeping bag extender is over the velcro joint?
Back to the velcro joint----do take the time to seal it up fully seated--a pain in full on gloves I know been there....when I'm double podding like in the vid I zip up the wallcreeper 3/4 of the way so at least i'm already warming up while I velcro the pod in place. Sometimes I've wondered if a zipper might be better with the pod but then again I love the way the extender and just as importantly the JRB hood mates up with the velcro....so I'll stay with velcro.
OH, when done the whole system goes into one event stuff sack minus the tarp if it is even taken.

stevebo
10-28-2011, 17:17
I have used my peapod for the last 2 years, with great success! Just add a light topquilt, and you can easily hit 20 degrees very comfortably. Ive even used it in the summer time, with a sheet over me----its pretty versitile! I really like the way there isnt a draft problem, between the uq and the hammock--------its pretty easy to set up! On a recent trip, I slept in the peapod with no topquilt, and just some polypro long underwear----it was 50 degrees and windy, and I was very comfortable!----
As for why more people dont use peapods---I think its a combination of things----you are a little restricted in what kind of hammock you use,(it cant be too wide, or have a built in bug net) and also some people find them confining--------------also, it may seem like alot of money, but by the time you buy a good TQ and UQ, youre going to spend even more! Like every thing else, its just personal preference! Good luck, and enjoy! (also, if you buy one and change your mind later, they seem to hold their resale value pretty well)

stevebo
10-28-2011, 19:04
Billey bob, did you ever get the velcro working on your peapod? What did you end up doing?

BillyBob58
10-28-2011, 23:23
Billey bob, did you ever get the velcro working on your peapod? What did you end up doing?

Stevebo: Nope, it is still not up to par. I tried using animal/pet combs to clean the Velcro, but not much luck yet.

I need to get on that with winter just beginning, but I am being lazy due to the luxury of having several more options available to me(MW4UQ, synthetic Yeti, HHSS). Also, it is not exactly unusable, it will stick together and stay together well enough for use. It is just not anywhere near as quick and easy to get it closed up as it used to be.

Also, I figure after a while this problem will show up with other pod users. The Velcro for the bottom closing of my older HH Explorer UL is MUCH looser than the one on the "new"( a demo) Expl UL I have been trying out lately. So I'm guessing this is just something that happens with Velcr: become weaker over time. Weaker, but not useless.

Here is what I am thinking.
1: Learn to use a sewing machine or find a seamstress, and just replace the Velcro. I suppose when I pull the stitches out, down is going to try and fly out?
2: Get some Velcro or that Velcro substitute ( 3M?) I have read about, and sew on(get someone to sew on) a few small reinforcement patches over the top of the original Velcro.
3: install a few snaps.

Anyway, I need to get this done. Because I think the best overall 10*F I have spent in a hammock was in my PeaPod. Why? Because of the superior head area insulation I had compared to other set ups. Which meant less condensation in the area of my face/chin/neck. Really none that I can remember.

Sidewinder:Around 4 or 5am the temp dropped to 41-42*F and I closed it full over me. I was a little afraid of re-breathing my own CO2 that I stayed awake. I was feeling some chill and noticed that it was coming from the Velcro area. I was wearing shorts and a tee shirt (normally I wear a smartwool base layer) but thought I would see how warm it was with just minimal clothing. Also had on a fleece hat. The cold seeping from the Velcro area was enough to make me worry about the 20 degree temp rating.Sidewinder: keep in mind that Ed Speer (pod designer), a self proclaimed extra cold sleeper, rated ( for Ed ) the 20F pod- used by itself- at 50F ON TOP. This no doubt was when used with his Speer hammock, which I think pushes the pod upward and causing more gap than most other hammocks. Filling the gap- and also blocking the warm air from rushing out any vent hole you might open, is the key to toastiness in the pod. The Speer PeaPod would have no trouble reaching a 20F rating top side if you were sleeping on the ground where it could completely drape down on you. But some hammocks cause a lot of gap, it varies. If you were OK at 42 with very little clothing, you are probably doing pretty darn good.

If you hike with any form of puffy clothing, it can be a big help. I don't wear it, but just drape it over my chest/neck area to fill gaps or make a faux neck collar. Or I put it on "backwards" with arms through the sleeves. This seems to make it puff up better.

But even way better if you don't mind a little extra weight and you have something available: a light- even summer weight- TQ draped over you. This not only will fill most gaps head to toe and allow you to have a bigger vent with out all of your warm air rushing out, consider this:
If you have 2.5" of loft in the pod, and you fill any gaps with say another 2 or 2.5" of loft from a summer TQ or even bag and maybe some puffy clothing, now how thick is the top side loft? 4 or 5", which is deep winter insulation.

The Pea Pod probably won't be as warm on top( due to top gap) as a separate 20F TQ of 22 oz or so, which would drape right down on you. Then again, the built in head protection and lack of draft will make up for some of that. Maybe a lot.

The pod was designed for the 8.5 ft long Speer hammock, and it never goes over the end knots, that would be way too tight. Isn't a Traveler 10 ft long? So clearly you are going to need some hammock outside the pod on the ends. That is why it is a good thing it is 9 ft long.

With my ( very narrow) 10 ft long Claytor No Net and the Speer hammock, I would usually adjust/ tighten it on the ends so that I have at least 5 or 6" between the inside bottom of the open pod and the unoccupied hammock. Then when I get in, the hammock sinks down into the pod, and when I close it it is just about touching my back, with pretty much full loft.

MedicineMan
10-29-2011, 00:20
When you replace the velcro (if you do) consider adding two more running lengths of it, so when you bring the two sides together you are mating two pieces of velcro- 2 on top of one side and 2 on the bottom of the other side. The running lengths about 2-3 inches apart and overlap them. Does that in any way makes sense! HA! words when I need a diagram :) Well just thinking of a method to gaurantee no gaps.