PDA

View Full Version : Introducing the "Dutch Edition" of our single line tarp ridge line

SmokeBait
09-26-2011, 11:18
Renowned hammockforums.net member, Dutch, crafts the ultralight Dutch Hook and Dutch Tarp Flyz. Having had numerous requests to splice these components onto our single line tarp ridge line, we have decided to list it in our store (http://shop.whoopieslings.com/Single-Line-Tarp-Ridge-Line-Dutch-Edition-with-Dutchware-CRL-DE.htm). We use 1.75mm dyneema fiber Zing It/Lash It line that results in a finished length of 30 feet. The Dutch Hook is incorporated into a spliced fixed eye on one end. The Tarp Flyz is threaded onto the line and is prevented from coming off by an end splice on the other end of the ridge line. The ridge line will be equipped with (2) of our soft shack prusiks for tarp attachment making this one of the lightest tarp suspensions available. DutchWare can be seen and purchased here (http://www.outdoortrailgear.com/trail-gear-gallery/continuous-ridgeline-package-deal/). Dutch has kindly offered a special introductory price on a Hook/Flyz combo and offered to drop ship your order to us for incorporation into your ridge line. Once your Dutchware order is received, we’ll get your ridge line made up as quickly as possible.

PLEASE NOTE: The Dutchware products are NOT included in the price listed. They have to be ordered separately. We are simply proving the line, soft shackle prusiks and splicing.

Available in grey, red or silver.

Total weight - 19 grams

http://shop.whoopieslings.com/images/Dutch%20Edition%20-%20Mosaic-1024.jpg

Raul Perez
09-26-2011, 11:42
killin me..... You'll be seeing an order tonight. That kills 1/2 ounce off my current set up.

Raul Perez
09-26-2011, 11:47
yeah who was I kidding ordered one.

StumpJumper
09-26-2011, 11:49
Dang it...... I need one. That's a solid setup.

SmokeBait
09-26-2011, 11:52
Water Monkey is first! We'll get that on its way to ya today. Thanks!

ShadowAlpha
09-26-2011, 11:54
purty!

your message to at least 10 characters

Rilmoigan
09-26-2011, 12:14
I just ordered one from the store.

Just to be clear, would you like me to order a 'hook/flyz' setup from Dutchware (shipped to you of course) to backfill you for this?

SmokeBait
09-26-2011, 12:20
I just ordered one from the store.

Just to be clear, would you like me to order a 'hook/flyz' setup from Dutchware (shipped to you of course) to backfill you for this?

Thanks Rilmoigan! Yes, please order a hook and flyz from Dutchware to backfill the ones I am providing. I did add the following in the OP as I don't want folks to think that the Dutchware is part of the price.

PLEASE NOTE: The Dutchware products are NOT included in the price listed. They have to be ordered separately. We are simply proving the line, soft shackle prusiks and splicing.

bluejeans
09-26-2011, 12:34
That is an awesome set-up and will be ordering one tonight after work. Outstanding setup:thumbup:

Rilmoigan
09-26-2011, 13:11
I have forwarded the order info to you; I placed a note in the order comments to ship the pieces to you instead of me.

Thanks!

Thanks Rilmoigan! Yes, please order a hook and flyz from Dutchware to backfill the ones I am providing. I did add the following in the OP as I don't want folks to think that the Dutchware is part of the price.

opie
09-26-2011, 14:36
I so want to buy this. What a great collaboration of minds to the end product.

BrianWillan
09-26-2011, 18:15
I so want to buy this. What a great collaboration of minds to the end product.

Opie, I am sure you've got enough 1.75mm line in your inventory that you could order the Dutch Hook and Tarp Flyz from Dutch and make it yourself. :rolleyes:

Cheers

Brian

opie
09-26-2011, 18:47
Opie, I am sure you've got enough 1.75mm line in your inventory that you could order the Dutch Hook and Tarp Flyz from Dutch and make it yourself. :rolleyes:

Cheers

Brian

Yeah, you're right I do. Be nice to have some whoopieslings.com gear though. Believe it or not, all my kit gear are prototypes from development from the business. My current rl is a hybrid of 4 different systems and is all Frankenstein.

So now I can get some Dutch and Stu gear together. I did order some of Dutches items this evening for my buddy to get his Frankenstein system updated.

Tiny101
09-28-2011, 11:34
well looks like Opie is going to be getting some more of my money pretty soon.

lilricky
09-28-2011, 17:12
well looks like Opie is going to be getting some more of my money pretty soon.

Actually Opie sold the business to Smokebait a while back, but I'm sure if you want to send money to Opie, he'll gladly accept it! :lol:

lilricky
09-28-2011, 17:15
I've been making this type of single line tarp suspension since Dutch came out with the hooks and flyz, although for the life of me I can't splice Zing-it. I was wondering, could you offer it with the fly attached to a prussic on the line instead of simply running the line through the fly?

Raul Perez
09-28-2011, 19:57
Got this bad boy today..... 19 grams exactly! But I'm not a gram weenie so I'm saying 0.6 ounces

Dutch
09-28-2011, 20:05
How does he do that so fast?

ShadowAlpha
09-28-2011, 20:17
Got this bad boy today..... 19 grams exactly! But I'm not a gram weenie so I'm saying 0.6 ounces

Sounds like a sweet little setup!

ShadowAlpha
09-28-2011, 20:17
How does he do that so fast?

the splicing fingers faster than the eye

Raul Perez
09-28-2011, 20:31
Basically faster than a speeding bullet. I've been playing around with it for a while (think I went blind for a minute) and I do have a minor concern of fraying with extended use. Only time will tell though.

MrClean417
09-28-2011, 20:40
Well I'd order one tonight if I the flyz and hooks hadn't already shipped for me to make my own.

I'd say great minds think alike, but I'm just copying what I saw on a video. Still, 8 bucks instead of 20. Then again, I bought enough for two.

SmokeBait
09-28-2011, 22:46
Well I'd order one tonight if I the flyz and hooks hadn't already shipped for me to make my own.

MrClean, if you don't want to mess with it you can send your Dutchware here and order the ridge line. If you do want to DIY, the pics basically show what we do.

SmokeBait
09-28-2011, 22:49
I've been making this type of single line tarp suspension since Dutch came out with the hooks and flyz, although for the life of me I can't splice Zing-it. I was wondering, could you offer it with the fly attached to a prussic on the line instead of simply running the line through the fly?

We'll offer that soon lilricky. We started the way we did to keep the weight at an absolute minimum. Once I get past the initial onslaught of orders, I'll add the flyz on a prusik option.

SmokeBait
09-28-2011, 22:51

I feel better knowing at my scale has been double checked. I did the Grizz quarter test and now it passes the Water Monkey test :D

perrito
09-28-2011, 22:52
Ordered! Good deal. :)

gunner76
10-08-2011, 18:29
I broke down and ordered 2

opie
10-08-2011, 19:42
I got mine early this last week. Very well made, Stu. Just waiting for the WL Old Man Winter to show up to get it mounted.

Hooch
10-09-2011, 20:52
Just ordered mine as well. Looking forward to putting to use in a couple weeks on my upcoming fall hike with my lovely girlfriend, Dancer. :thumbup:

I have to admit it was fun ordering from Smokebait and Dutch for the first time. :D

SmokeBait
10-09-2011, 21:35
I got mine early this last week. Very well made, Stu. Just waiting for the WL Old Man Winter to show up to get it mounted.

Thanks Opie. It means a lot coming from the Master. That Old Man Winter tarp should make for a cozy hang when the weather turns.

gunner76
10-13-2011, 21:55
Just got mine in today. Weight was right on at 19 grams. Plan to give them a test on an overnight this weekend. I got one red and one yellow and I switched the prussick knots (red to yellow and yellow to red) for more constrast as the red on red ect kind of gets lost. Quaility of the splices is excellent. I am amazed how someone is able to splice a line that small.

Davros
10-13-2011, 22:15
Yesterday I ordered slings,straps, ridgeline, etc at about 4 am. I had a tracking number within a few hours. Awesome. You guys must have got up early to have a big bowl of WIN for breakfast.

SmokeBait
10-14-2011, 14:14
Just got mine in today. Weight was right on at 19 grams. Plan to give them a test on an overnight this weekend. I got one red and one yellow and I switched the prussick knots (red to yellow and yellow to red) for more constrast as the red on red ect kind of gets lost. Quaility of the splices is excellent. I am amazed how someone is able to splice a line that small.

Had I known, I could have done that for you and saved you the extra step. Enjoy!

SmokeBait
10-14-2011, 14:15
Yesterday I ordered slings,straps, ridgeline, etc at about 4 am. I had a tracking number within a few hours. Awesome. You guys must have got up early to have a big bowl of WIN for breakfast.

I'm not sure if we got up early or were still going from the night before :lol:

Thanks!

gunner76
10-14-2011, 18:22
Had I known, I could have done that for you and saved you the extra step. Enjoy!

Did not occur to me until I was playing with them to do so. Gave me an excuse to play with them.

Hooch
10-16-2011, 06:46
Just got mine in the mail yesterday, nice piece of kit and a great collaboration between Smoke Bait and Dutch. I'm initially impressed by the quality of workmanship and the light weight. Looking forward to putting through it's paces on the trail next week for a few days.

If'n I wanted to do a video review, anyone got some pointers? I haven't done one yet and thinking of giving it a whirl.

SmokeBait
10-17-2011, 08:57
Just got mine in the mail yesterday, nice piece of kit and a great collaboration between Smoke Bait and Dutch. I'm initially impressed by the quality of workmanship and the light weight. Looking forward to putting through it's paces on the trail next week for a few days.

Good deal Hooch. Hope you get to put it to good use soon :)

KidShaleen
11-16-2011, 23:04
Ordered mine today and they shipped out today. Awesome service. Can't wait to try this out

BLUEFIN 774
11-16-2011, 23:35

If'n I wanted to do a video review, anyone got some pointers? I haven't done one yet and thinking of giving it a whirl.

Hey Hootch,

"Just Do It" as the ad says. :D Really just do a video and edit as needed. Windows Movie Maker is a decent program that is on most PCs.
With each one it will get easier. I'm pretty sure that most of us here enjoy other peoples videos whatever way they are done. I always learn something new with each video watched.

KidShaleen
11-25-2011, 15:48
Just came in the mail. Quickly set it up in the backyard.

Beautiful piece of kit. Well thought out. The dutchware bits are jewel-like. The WhoopieSlings soft carabineers are intricate and powerful. I can really crank some pressure on this thing. Mine came in at 18 grams. Love it.

I also added the MountainGoat Gear Mesh Tarp Storage Sleeves (Snakeskins) http://bit.ly/uAuPV6 - work great, seem strong enough. Great service.

My SuperFly tarp is complete.

My rigging details (all lines 1.75 mm Dyneema). Your input would be great (I'm a n00b):

4 - 8 foot guy lines with 4 small black plastic Figure 9's (not sure if these will slip. Seem to hold well enough - I set the tarp up in 10-15 knot breeze). These stayed on the tarp when I packed it away and fit well enough in the SnakeSkins.

4 - 4 foot lengths tied to doors (not sure I'm happy with this maybe shock cord is better). These stayed on the tarp when I packed it away.

4 - 4 foot length for pullouts (bowlines on both ends). Not stored attached to tarp.

2 - 8 foot guy lines for pullouts with Figure 9's

Coghlans 9 inch Ultralight Tent stakes

SmokeBait
11-25-2011, 15:54
Just came in the mail. Quickly set it up in the backyard.

Beautiful piece of kit. Well thought out. The dutchware bits are jewel-like. The WhoopieSlings soft carabineers are intricate and powerful. I can really crank some pressure on this thing. Mine came in at 18 grams. Love it.

I also added the MountainGaot Gear Mesh Tarp Storage Sleeves (Snakeskins) http://bit.ly/uAuPV6 - work great, seem strong enough. Great service.

My SuperFly tarp is complete.

My rigging details (all lines 1.75 mm Dyneema). Your input would be great (I'm a n00b):

4 - 8 foot guy lines with 4 small black plastic Figure 9's (not sure if these will slip. Seem to hold well enough - I set the tarp up in 10-15 knot breeze). These stayed on the tarp when I packed it away and fit well enough in the SnakeSkins.

4 - 4 foot lengths tied to doors (not sure I'm happy with this maybe shock cord is better). These stayed on the tarp when I packed it away.

4 - 4 foot length for pullouts (bowlines on both ends). Not stored attached to tarp.

2 - 8 foot guy lines for pullouts with Figure 9's

Coghlans 9 inch Ultralight Tent stakes

Good deal KidSaleen. Sounds like you're good to go. Thanks for the comments. Enjoy your time spent under the tarp.

FireInMyBones
12-03-2011, 13:11
I just ordered from both your site and Dutch's. I'm looking forward to this order in Gray.

SmokeBait
12-03-2011, 14:06
I just ordered from both your site and Dutch's. I'm looking forward to this order in Gray.

Just made yours up and it's out in the mailbox for today's pickup. I had some extra hook/flyz on hand. Dutch will replenish my stock with your order from him.

Thanks!

L.D. Cakes
12-03-2011, 14:34
Now that's teamwork!

FireInMyBones
12-03-2011, 14:36
Just made yours up and it's out in the mailbox for today's pickup. I had some extra hook/flyz on hand. Dutch will replenish my stock with your order from him.

Thanks!

No, thank you! When I received the email notification saying it already shipped, I almost fell out of my chair. Thank you both very much.

Now that's teamwork!

No kidding!

SmokeBait
12-03-2011, 21:45
Now that's teamwork!

Dutch is a real pleasure to work with. Have really enjoyed it.

FireInMyBones
12-06-2011, 16:20
I was so glad to see it in the mail today, so I just played around with this for a little while. Considering that I can now reach between trees I could not before and center my tarp with such ease, I am not upset adding only 2g to my set up. ;)

Another nice feature this allowed, was to be able to get rid of my "extra tarp line" I had been carrying at 6g.

Overall, this set up saved me 4g and opened up new hang possibilities. Did I mention its extremely easy to set up?

SmokeBait
12-06-2011, 19:43
I was so glad to see it in the mail today, so I just played around with this for a little while. Considering that I can now reach between trees I could not before and center my tarp with such ease, I am not upset adding only 2g to my set up. ;)

Another nice feature this allowed, was to be able to get rid of my "extra tarp line" I had been carrying at 6g.

Overall, this set up saved me 4g and opened up new hang possibilities. Did I mention its extremely easy to set up?

Thanks for the feed back Fire. Glad it worked well for you. Enjoy it :D

ftroop94
12-10-2011, 09:21
Stu,

I've had the set up sitting here for a week or so waiting on a new GT UL. After the postal service lost my first package, Amazon overnighted me another. I've already outfitted it with your slings and ridgeline, so now I'm ready to check out this tarp set up. Much appreciated!

SmokeBait
12-10-2011, 11:18
Thanks Ftroop, hopefully you'll get to try everything out soon. Enjoy!

FireInMyBones
12-24-2011, 13:59
Mine broke. Email sent.

SmokeBait
12-24-2011, 14:51
Got it and reply sent. Please take a look and get back to me.

Thanks,
Stu

KidShaleen
12-24-2011, 14:52
Mine broke. Email sent.

How'd it break? line or hardware failure?

SmokeBait
12-24-2011, 14:56
The line broke right where it exits the Flyz. I want to get the Flyz back to inspect the edge. It may have just been overtightened. Don't know yet.

FireInMyBones
12-24-2011, 15:26
Return email sent. Fly is a little sharp, but we'll get everything worked out. Thanks for your help. Over tightening is still a possibility, but to get sil good and tight I needed to crank it down some, but I do not think it was too tight.

SmokeBait
12-24-2011, 23:23
Dutch and I reviewed the good pictures that FireInMyBones sent me. The conclusion is the the flyz did not get the final dressing with a Dremel to eliminate the sharp edges. Thus under a heavy load, it cut through the line. I am sending a FireInMyBones a replacement ridge line.

FireInMyBones
12-24-2011, 23:45
What great customer service! And so helpful on Christmas Eve. Another reason to buy Cottage.

SmokeBait
01-04-2012, 23:59
The link to our webstore has changed for this item. It is now here (http://shop.whoopieslings.com/Single-Line-Tarp-Ridge-Line-Dutch-Edition-with-Dutchware-CRL-DE.htm). We have purchased a supply of Dutch Hooks and Tarp Flyz from Dutch to facilitate orders with. It is no longer necessary to order these from Dutch. I wanted to revise the original post but am no longer able to edit it.

FireInMyBones
01-05-2012, 07:50
Very nice. Way to make it easier.

Chadx
02-22-2012, 10:56
It is now here (http://shop.whoopieslings.com/Single-Line-Tarp-Ridge-Line-Dutch-Edition-with-Dutchware-CRL-DE.htm). We have purchased a supply of Dutch Hooks and Tarp Flyz from Dutch to facilitate orders with. It is no longer necessary to order these from Dutch.

So my final excuse is out the window. I'll get an order in next week.

SmokeBait
02-23-2012, 10:36
So my final excuse is out the window. I'll get an order in next week.

Thanks Chadx, we keep them in stock so whenever you are ready.