PDA

View Full Version : coffin quilt

Dutch
04-18-2008, 15:55
I made a coffin shaped 3/4 under quilt. I haven't put a suspension on it yet but I have been sewing all day and i am going bug eyed. It weighs about 11 oz is 39" wide and 48' long.
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/0/9/Picture001.jpg

Here is a shot of all my quilts.....so far.
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/0/9/Picture002.jpg

I have plans for 2 more quilts and then i think I am done.

Hooch
04-18-2008, 15:58
Yet another nice piece of gear, Dutch. You're getting quite the quilt collection there, my friend. It's like your own little miniature quilt museum. :D

GrizzlyAdams
04-18-2008, 16:03
only 6 quilts total? C'mon, that might not be enough. You might get COLD!!!!

This shape is exactly right for non-bridge hammocks, good job.
Did you use your clever baffling trick again?

The one I'll do with my mom-90 is going with baffles using Schneiderlein's trick. It's the only way I can use the 2 linear yards of the mom-90 I have on both top and bottom. The other ways use too much material on the bottom.
Thinking about trying to get it done before next weekend, but realistically that's unlikely.

Grizz

slowhike
04-18-2008, 16:05
go dutch, go! 11ozs... not bad.
you guys have convinced me that i need a 3/4 length underquilt.

Dutch
04-18-2008, 16:30
Grizz i thought you were hiking SNP this week. Any how I went with the traditional bug netting baffle. I don't have a rolled hem presser foot yet so I baste the hems of the bug netting before I attach them. It has differential baffles again with 6.5 on the bottom and 7.5 on the top. I first made it a rectangle and before I hammed the sides I cut the corners. It was alot more hemming and I really didn't cut off too much sq inches. I'm just playing around with cheap materials anyhow. The next 2 will be with some more speer down. of course I still have 1 pound of the slavaged 730 fill down left so maybe there arte more than 2 more quilts in my future.

headchange4u
04-18-2008, 17:49
Kudos on the coffin quilt. It looks great. I wondered how a quilt shaped like that would work. Let us know how testing goes.

slowhike
04-18-2008, 19:39
the only thing i would have to wonder about w/ the coffin shape is having cold knees if a person wanted to sleep in the fetal position... & maybe part of a persons rear end would be uninsulated<G>.

of course you probably already thought of that & knew that for this compact version of underquilt, you would need to just be satisfied w/ sleeping on your back if it's very cool.

i realize that the hammock has that shape, but i'm wondering if it tapers that much, that quickly.

NCPatrick
04-18-2008, 19:46
Cool quilt, you are doing great with your collection.

There has GOT to be a more cheerful name for that shape.

schrochem
04-18-2008, 19:52
I think you should be called 'quilt man' :)
Another beauty.
I really need to make some of the stuff that's up in my head.
I did convert someone this week.
As a matter a fact he should be out hanging tonight!

Schneiderlein
04-19-2008, 12:56
Nice quit, Dutch! Looks great.

I am wondering which end is the head end. It seems like the narrow end would give you enough insulation at the head, and you could sleep on your side without your knees getting cold. Is that the way you planned it? Or is it the other way around, the wide end at the head to give you more insulation for your shoulders?

Schneiderlein
04-19-2008, 13:02
The one I'll do with my mom-90 is going with baffles using Schneiderlein's trick.

Grizz, I don't know if you saw it, but I posted another thread about the roll hem trick here (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=56395#post56395) just before you got cut off from the net. I think your roll hem foot might be very narrow making it difficult to keep the fabric feeding just right.

Shug
04-19-2008, 18:57
I made a coffin shaped 3/4 under quilt. I haven't put a suspension on it yet but I have been sewing all day and i am going bug eyed. It weighs about 11 oz is 39" wide and 48' long.

Here is a shot of all my quilts.....so far.

I have plans for 2 more quilts and then i think I am done.

Hey Dutch ..... I got a serious case of quilt envy! Your collection looks stellar.
Shug

Dutch
04-19-2008, 19:58
Nice quit, Dutch! Looks great.

I am wondering which end is the head end. It seems like the narrow end would give you enough insulation at the head, and you could sleep on your side without your knees getting cold. Is that the way you planned it? Or is it the other way around, the wide end at the head to give you more insulation for your shoulders?

It is wide end at the head. The top corners are cut off too but not much just like 5 inches at a 45 degree angle. I really only plan on it covering from the top of my neck to the knees. I use a pillow so my head is covered and for some reason you really don't need anything for you lower legs. When I was a pad person I always used a 3/4 pad except for the lowest temps. I have thrown my pack or my rain gear under my legs if the got cold. I only sleep on my back and I think I got the shape right. I just worry the shoulders aren't wide enough. I only guessed that the weight is 11 oz but I'm sure it is less. I will know Monday when I go to work and weigh it.

Schneiderlein
04-19-2008, 20:14
Thanks, Dutch. It makes a lot of sense if you don't have your head on top of the quilt, the wide end should be the head end. I used to use a DIY SPE with a 3/4 pad like that, and it worked well. Let us know how this quilt works out. I am curious because I plan on making a summer underquilt after discovering that my 3/4 UQ is too warm. Or that's what I tell myself anyway to justify making another quilt. That will be #4 for me, and I haven't really set myself a limit yet.

GrizzlyAdams
04-19-2008, 22:05
Grizz, I don't know if you saw it, but I posted another thread about the roll hem trick here (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=56395#post56395) just before you got cut off from the net. I think your roll hem foot might be very narrow making it difficult to keep the fabric feeding just right.

Thanks. I've been using a 4mm foot, but the problems are (i) not really so frequent, and (ii) almost entirely when sewing uncoated 1.1 oz material, which might be the problem.

I'm confident and good enough to have a run at that mom-90 quilt, when I get the time.

Grizz

Dutch
06-07-2009, 13:19
I put my coffin quilt on my BB last night. It works perfectly. The side tieout match the two tieout on the wings. You wouold have thought I made it for the BB, but I made it befor the BB was invented. I think I have to make another with some Speer 900 fill down. On second thought I should open this one and put 900 fill down in it.

fin
06-07-2009, 22:39
I put my coffin quilt on my BB last night. It works perfectly. The side tieout match the two tieout on the wings. You wouold have thought I made it for the BB, but I made it befor the BB was invented. I think I have to make another with some Speer 900 fill down. On second thought I should open this one and put 900 fill down in it.

Then your next task is to make one for me.:cool::lol: And have it done by your flight time on Wednesday, OK?

animalcontrol
06-08-2009, 06:09
nice lookin quilt Dutch...

how much down? loft? expected temp rating? bringing it this weekend? :D

Dutch
06-08-2009, 07:08
I can't remember the amount of down and I wound up adding some last fall. It has about 2" of loft and I think it weighs 11 ounces. The down isn't very good, I think it is about 600 fill at a guess. This peticular quilt isn't very good because I didn't use top notch material. It was an experiment with trying to make a wide quilt from the shoulder to the elbow. I never posted about the suspension. It has 4 loops on the corners JRB style and it had 4 more tie out, 2 on each side. The side tie out use 1/4 elastic with a swimsuit hook and a cord lock to attach to the tie outs of the wings.http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=3095&catid=member&orderby=title&direction=ASC&imageuser=409&cutoffdate=-1 Since it has differential baffles I can really make it snug against. It nweeds remade with momentum90 and 900 fill down. I was reposting because the shape really lends itself well to the BB. I probably won't bring it this week but who knows. I need more testing before I'll commit to 4 nights.

keys?
06-16-2009, 12:47
So that's what you were talking about! Very nice.

titanium_hiker
06-17-2009, 06:40
1) photos of it attached to hammock, please!

2) make the next one with red one one side and black on the other, call it "the vampire" (or VQ) (is this more cheerful than coffin, or worse? :lol:)

TH