PDA

View Full Version : HH Tarp Problems.

skyhiker2
01-02-2007, 15:47
I bought the HH ultra-light explorer and the tarp it comes with sucks! It barely covers. If there's so much as a little wind "game over".. -- does anyone feel my pain with this one.

Now I need to get a new tarp before I thru the entire AT..

Here's my problem ( " I have no Idea what to get" ) The MacCat looks good.. but what will work the best?

I wrote HH and told them that their "stock tarp" is simply not big enough and that I have read multiple complaints about it on different forums after I bought it of course.. They said I could exchange it for a larger version called the Hex and of course pay the difference. Does anyone have experiance with this one the "Hex" . The HH company now lacks credibility on my part what if that one sucks to?

I just wish there was somewhere I could go to actually see these set ups.. Buying things site unseen/untested is not my bag... I know theres a campout at the end of Jan. but I'am not sure if I be able to make it..

Ok as much advice on this one as possible please.....

Hana Hanger
01-02-2007, 16:26
The HEX is fine...it will appear to look to small as well...but I have never gotten wet...and where I live I am in the rain daily.

But I did buy the 9 x 9 camo tarp from Sportman's just to have more room to cook under and store my scooter out of the rain etc...

blackbishop351
01-02-2007, 16:32
The stock HH tarps are definitely too small IMHO. I got a Sportsman's Guide 9x9 a while ago because it was cheap, and it worked well - but heavier than I liked (about 1.5 lbs.).

Then I made a MacCat knockoff and I love it. It's about 12' long and 11' wide, hex, and cat cut on all six sides. It gives me a TON of coverage and it only weighs 13.6 oz.

If you can sew, buy some sil and experiment. It's a lot of fun and very rewarding. You can get black sil from Ed Speer for $4/yd., so it's not the end of the world if you make a mistake.

txulrich
01-02-2007, 16:59
I also felt that the stock HH tarp was insufficient. I ended up with a MacCat Deluxe and love it. Exchanging the stock tarp for the hex and paying the difference sounds like a real bargain and prolly your cheapest option short of making one yourself.

HH has a very good reputation for excellent customer service. In most instances they will bend over backwards to see the customers satisfied.

The Breeze
01-02-2007, 21:58
i to have seen this at hh they gave me snake skins and a shirt on a returned hhul can't beat them if it will just get here!!!;)

Just Jeff
01-02-2007, 22:29
Plenty of people have done just fine with the stock HH tarps...not much room to cook or dress and not very comfortable, but with proper site selection and pitch it's adequate. Sgt Rock went through a hurricane with his.

But if you want more comfort (like most of us), there are several options. The HH Hex is one, and probably your cheapest if you take his offer. I haven't used these tarps but I've seen them - they're very roomy, if a bit heavier than some other options, and the ones I saw seemed to be well-made. The MacCats are awesome and pitch MUCH tighter than the Hex, and you can pick your size. I use the Standard and haven't gotten wet in the rain...others here like the huge Deluxe. Brian, who posts here and on several other forums, makes the MacCats. And JRB (made by Peter Pan and Smee) offers an 8x8 that gives an 11+' ridgeline and plenty of room for cooking and changing, plus keeps the ground pitching options of a square tarp.

And there are plenty of non-hammock-specific tarps that will work fine. A standard 8x10, for example.

So I wouldn't be quite so hard on HH - the tarp has been proven adequate by lots of users, and Tom H. doesn't claim that the stock tarps are large and comfortable...just that they'll keep the hammock dry when pitched correctly. So if you want more than "adequate," and many of us are with you on that one, then it's a personal decision rather than a shortcoming of Hennessy Hammocks. But that's the beauty of this kind of gear - you can customize it however you want to. And a bigger tarp is one of the options many of us choose.

JMHO, of course.

Coffee
01-02-2007, 23:20
I started out with an HH explorer ultralight. I do not posses the skills needed to stay dry in wind driven rain. I spent a couple light rain nights in, but nothing close to what Rock has.

I upgraded to the McCat Deluxe. This is a very well made tarp. One of these days I am going to finish a DIY tarp just because, but I think the McCat will hold up for my thru and then some.

I have since upgraded IMO from the HH to a DIY hammock. The HH is comfortable and a good all in one hammock, but not for me. But that is another thread.

Peter_pan
01-03-2007, 06:58
JJ states it pretty well....

Would add that weight, cost, and ease of pitch figure right after coverage, especially on a long or thru hike... on these counts JRB 8x8 beats all but the mac cat micro.

But, I'm biased.

Pan

Seeker
01-03-2007, 13:00
I'm probably one of the minority of hangers who prefer the stock HH tarps.

I have the original tarp that came with my HH ULBA, and it works just fine. I've survived some pretty intense Louisiana downpours, with some kick-V$$ winds, and was high and dry. And I was here during SGT Rock's hurricane, though not camped out in it. His story is what sold me on the HH. Someone offered me another "Stock" tarp cheap, so I bought it. Turns out it's about a foot longer than my original "stock" fly, and just about the same width. I'm pleased as can be with it. Coverage is WAY more than adequate now. So before you say "it's too small", try it. Learn how to use it. Set it up in your backyard. Sleep out in the rain. Learn to adjust the sides and slide it back and forth on the support ropes like it's designed to do. It's about 1/3 the weight of my 8 x 10 tarp (7 oz vs 20 oz). I prefer it for solo trips. (And please don't knock Tom Hennessy. He runs a great company.)

FanaticFringer
01-03-2007, 16:04

I have the original tarp that came with my HH ULBA, and it works just fine. I've survived some pretty intense Louisiana downpours, with some kick-V$$ winds, and was high and dry. And I was here during SGT Rock's hurricane, though not camped out in it. His story is what sold me on the HH. Someone offered me another "Stock" tarp cheap, so I bought it. Turns out it's about a foot longer than my original "stock" fly, and just about the same width. I'm pleased as can be with it. Coverage is WAY more than adequate now. So before you say "it's too small", try it. Learn how to use it. Set it up in your backyard. Sleep out in the rain. Learn to adjust the sides and slide it back and forth on the support ropes like it's designed to do. It's about 1/3 the weight of my 8 x 10 tarp (7 oz vs 20 oz). I prefer it for solo trips. (And please don't knock Tom Hennessy. He runs a great company.)

I'm glad to hear the stock tarp I sold you is working well for ya.;)

River Runner
01-03-2007, 23:38
I have the stock tarp and the hex. I prefer the stock tarp in most cases. I've had it out in several rains and never had a problem. The stock tarp takes less pack space and is easier to stow.

The hex gives more coverage and more ground space, but with my Ultralight it also increases the minimum distance feasible between trees to get a taut setup and cuts visibility from under the edge of the hammock and breezes to some extent. If I expect a lot of rain I sometimes take it. I used it on the AT last year in Georgia, but ended up wishing I had taken the stock tarp.

For the most part, the AT has shelters spaced so that you could use them if the weather were really horrible. Of course, given Murphy's Law, you may find yourself miles from a shelter when the storm hits...

skyhiker2
01-04-2007, 07:58
:D

I'am not knocking "Tom Hennessy" I'am knocking the stock tarp that comes with the HH Ul explorer " It sucks"...... And I have read the similar complaints here and other places. I've been using hammocks for long time. but when I set up the hammock with the stock tarp it will cover the hammock untill I get in it,, in which there are few inches of hammock that will not be covered or if some wind comes there are more than a few inches that will not be coverd. I thought about it and I should have taken pictures. I actually think there maybe some manufacturing defect with the size of the tarp because it was just frikkin impossible.

PS I build houses for a living If I could'nt put a hammock together inbetween two trees,, I'd kill myself and take Tom HH with me....

Touch of Grey
01-04-2007, 08:34
:D

...I've been using hammocks for long time. but when I set up the hammock with the stock tarp it will cover the hammock untill I get in it,, in which there are few inches of hammock that will not be covered or if some wind comes there are more than a few inches that will not be coverd.

Are you using the tie-outs attached to the Hennessey for the tarp or tying the tarp seperate to the tree?

This may be a part of the problem. I too have the Explorer and while I upgraded to the MacCat Standard tarp, I also learned from mistakes and comments from others on various forums about this and other concerns of the hanging life. I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination in this field. However I have been doing a lot of experimenting so that when I go on my thru this year I will be ready for almost all contingencies.

Next time you get a chance to try it, if you have not already, tie up your hammock and then tie the tarp to the trees a few inches below the huggers/ridgeline. I personally noticed that there is about a six inch sag for me (I'm 6'3" and a little north of 250 lbs.) when I get in so I try and set the tarp lines 6 - 8 inches below the huggers. This in general keeps the ridgelines of the hammock and the tarp close or in contact with each other and other than raining sideways or as I have seen it in Denver, raining up, it should protect you providing you adjust your wings to the proper pitch for the conditions (tips high for ventilation or low for heat retention/windblockage).

Experiment a little!

If you still don't like the arrangement then toss the idea and get or make your own tarp. 6 yards of rip-stop, DWR or sil-nylon are relatively cheap compared to paying for someone else's labor to get what you want exactly. Don't sew? Well neither have a lot of us on here before now. It's simple stuff once you get the hang of it.

TOG

skyhiker2
01-04-2007, 10:46
I agree with everyone, and have tried every suggestion. Theres something really wrong with this tarp though. Maybe it is me. I highly doubt it. I have sent the stock tarp back to HH and they will be exchanging it for the Hex style. As for sewing my own we'll I could, but I would rather just buy it. When this new tarp gets here I'll repost.. Hopefully with a story of sucess.

Just Jeff
01-04-2007, 11:15
One thing that often gets folks unfamiliar with Tom's hammocks - the tarp is Asym, too. So if it's on upside down, it looks like it fits except for a few inches near the hammock's asym tie-outs that are left uncovered. Flip it over on the long axis and it'll cover those up adequately.

But of course everyone makes mistakes...maybe it was a tarp defect. I had a few missed stitches on the trim on my stock tarp, but a few hand stitches took care of it. But now I carry the JRB or MacCat b/c I like the extra space.

Coffee
01-04-2007, 12:28
One thing that often gets folks unfamiliar with Tom's hammocks - the tarp is Asym, too. So if it's on upside down, it looks like it fits except for a few inches near the hammock's asym tie-outs that are left uncovered. Flip it over on the long axis and it'll cover those up adequately.

I made this mistake when I started using my stock tarp. The way I think about it know is that the tarp tie outs need to line up with the side tie-outs on the hammock. I would also get in the hammock, lay there for a few moments, and get out and readjust everything. This helped to counter act the stretch that happens in newer hammocks.

skyhiker2
01-04-2007, 19:07
I also think that regardless if I got the Tarp to work, ( weather it was me or the tarp >> LOL Probally both) I definitely need more tarp than that,, and some more space would be nice.... So here comes the Hex...
Thanks for everyones advice....

Just Jeff
01-04-2007, 20:31
Can't argue with that. I like the extra space just for peace of mind sometimes - I don't have to look for the perfect site b/c my bigger tarp can compensate for a more exposed location, for example. Plus I know I can stand up and get dressed when it's raining, unlike ground dwellers who are doing the hokey-pokey on the ground to put on their pants.

Enjoy your new tarp!

Crash
01-07-2007, 20:05
One thing that often gets folks unfamiliar with Tom's hammocks - the tarp is Asym, too. So if it's on upside down,

I found that out one night in the rain. Now I make sure.

If you know you might have rain then you don't tie out the sides. Draw the tarp tie outs straight down or even overlapped under you. I've been in the pouring rain several times without getting wet. You have to work a little harder but its worth the good nights sleep in my hammock.

Dingus Khan
01-17-2007, 17:32
just an odd curiosity - are the HH hex tarps made by HH or are they made by a third party elsewhere?
I bought my HH with an aftermarket tarp (hex - made in china label included..) and was wondering if it was the same.
it is PU coated poly, very large (don't know the exact specs) and if i can figure it out i will include a pic

http://picasaweb.google.com/dneilson/HHEXUL1106/photo#4999950319528771602

Dingus Khan
01-17-2007, 17:33
hmm, does anyone know where the picture goes once it is posted? i thought i was going to turn up with my text!!
anyways, Cheers and good luck with the tarp!

Just Jeff
01-17-2007, 18:44
HH has manufacturers that sew their gear for them. Some of it is in China and some is in Canada.

If you put a pic in the gallery (preferred method), it'll show up only in the gallery unless you include it in your message. To do that, find you pic in the gallery (sorting by date is one easy way to find it), then copy the text from the text box below the image. You can either link to it or have it show up with your text depending on which code you copy.

You can also click the attachment icon (paperclip) and attach it to your message...but then it only shows up in your message and folks can't see it when they're scanning the gallery pics. And you have a max size for attachments that adds up over time, but no max for the gallery pics.

Either way is fine.

Coffee
01-18-2007, 20:14
just an odd curiosity - are the HH hex tarps made by HH or are they made by a third party elsewhere?
I bought my HH with an aftermarket tarp (hex - made in china label included..) and was wondering if it was the same.
it is PU coated poly, very large (don't know the exact specs) and if i can figure it out i will include a pic

http://picasaweb.google.com/dneilson/HHEXUL1106/photo#4999950319528771602

There was some talk about this on WB last year. I have the HH UL Explorer. It is labeled made in USA.

I sent an email asking them. They are really helpful and send the following response. The info is a year old, before their hex tarp was offered (I think).

"We used to make everything just in the US and Canada. Now, we make some of our models in China and some are still made in the US and Canada. The breakdown is as follows:

Scout - made in China
Standard Expedition Asym (currently our holiday special) - made in China
Ultralight Backpacker Asym - made in US and Canada
Explorer Deluxe Asym - made in China, some made in US and Canada
Explorer Ultralight Asym - made in US and Canada
Safari Deluxe - made in US and Canada
Adventure Racer and Lite Racer - made in US and Canada
Military Expedition Asyms - made in US and Canada
Special run hammocks including non standard Expedition Asyms - made in US and Canada

Made in US and Canada generally means manufactured in the US with some assembly and packaging done in Canada.

For any questions related to this topic or any other hammock related inquiries, please feel free to call 1-888-539-2930 or email [email protected]"

Dingus Khan
01-20-2007, 00:10
Aha!!

You guys are a great help, HE dunno how you dug that one up! I have the explorer UL, so it seems that the hammock was made at home (CAN - even though i live in the USA i grew up in Quebec City) and the fly could have been built in china, as the label indicates.... hey, what the heck, it works fine - except I need to add some tarp tensioners and learn to hang it lower than my hammock without it getting caught up in it. I still haven't figured that one out yet.
Here is the link for my pics, instead of figuring out the gallery option, just go to my personal site... feel free to ignore the other pics, not much on there of interest really... (yeah, let the rag fest begin!! :))
http://picasaweb.google.com/dneilson/HHEXUL1106

Cheers

FanaticFringer
01-20-2007, 00:29
Nice pics.

Coffee
01-20-2007, 00:59
I only found that b/c I remember posting it. What I thought was funny was that there was about 3 pages of people going back and forth about it and I was the only one to contact them about it.

How old is your HH. When I first got mine I would hang it, get in it for a couple seconds, and then get out and retighten it. That seemed to help. Also try hanging the tarp a few inches below the hammock on the tree. My ridgeline usually touches or comes close to touching my tarp before I get in it. After I get in it hangs a few inches below it.

Hope it helps.

Dingus Khan
01-20-2007, 11:05
Thanks HE and FF,

I will have to try it tomorrow afternoon, I am going to see if I can both ridgelines to basically be parallel and flush prior to laying down in it and see if that helps. Normally I hang my tarp up first (practicing for wetter weather) and then the HH, so I will see if I can get it right.
As for now, I am going to cut out the ridgeline of the HH and replace it with some 6mm cord. People have been discussing using carabiners at either end, but wouldn't it be simpler and lighter to cut below the knots at either end, (leave the loop for some other use) and with a fixed length of rope use two larks heads? It seems as though it would be fine except I would have to retighten the HH every time. I have not heard anyone say that they were able to use biners without retightening either though, since the force would be pretty great if you wanted a real taut ridgeline.

I'll figure out what works best for me and post some ideas. Any suggestions?

blackbishop351
01-20-2007, 11:12
I use a 'biner out of convenience. I decided the little bit of weight for the 'biner was worth avoiding the pain of having to mess with a loop or a knot, especially since you have to reach in through the slit to do either. Also, if you hang with medium-high tension, the 'biner lets you remove/reattach the ridge without having to retighten. Less than super-high tension on my HH doesn't work quite as well as I'd like, but I've had good results so far on my homemade hammock (with ridgeline).

Dingus Khan
01-21-2007, 19:03
BB - i set it up and you were right, was unable to remove either larkhead without loosening the HH. Threw a biner on the foot end - voila- piece of cake, and like you said, after hanging in it for a while it the ridgeline is just loose enough to be able to get that biner off and back on without messing with the hang.