PDA

View Full Version : Switchback 1.1dbl or 1.9dbl?

gtshouse
10-16-2011, 21:42
I am wanting to get a Switchback, but am curious about which one to get. After reading through a lot of the threads here, I get the impression that people are gravitating toward the 1.9 dbl. I may be wrong, but that's the way it seems.

I know with the WBBB, I thought the 1.1dbl was more comfortable that the 1.7dbl, and most people seem to prefer the lay of the lightest fabric they can as long as they're within the weight limit of the fabric.
Does the same hold true for the Switchback, or does the different, flatter lay change that for the SB?

I am 6' and 165 lbs. What is everyone close to my size using?

Sweeper
10-16-2011, 22:00
6'1, 230 and just purchased a SB 1.1. I am still dialing it in, but so far no real issues other than breaking my ingrained habit of a 30 degree hang. I may be taking it out on the AT next weekend, so I am rushing to get it dialed in before then!

I did note a bit of shoulder squeeze with too much sag, and so did my wife after she commandeered it for a 3 hour nap yesterday.

spaceweaseal
10-16-2011, 23:09
I have the 1.9 dlb and I absolutely love it.
I am 5' 9" 185lb and the 1.9 gives me the most comfortable lay over any hammock I have or had.

^shane^
10-17-2011, 06:23
I'm 6' 200# and have both a 1.1dbl SB and 1.1dbl SBLH. I've had a 1.7dbl WBBB, and the 1.1dbl SBs feel more sturdy than the 1.7dbl BB did (and definately more sturdy than my current 1.1dbl WBBB).

To me, a 1.9dbl SB would be overkill for 165#. But that's why we all hike our own hike. You won't be disappointed either way. Great hammocks.

OutandBack
10-17-2011, 06:35
I am wanting to get a Switchback, but am curious about which one to get. After reading through a lot of the threads here, I get the impression that people are gravitating toward the 1.9 dbl. I may be wrong, but that's the way it seems.

I know with the WBBB, I thought the 1.1dbl was more comfortable that the 1.7dbl, and most people seem to prefer the lay of the lightest fabric they can as long as they're within the weight limit of the fabric.
Does the same hold true for the Switchback, or does the different, flatter lay change that for the SB?

I am 6' and 165 lbs. What is everyone close to my size using?

5'9" 185# Have a 1.9 single SB Classic and love it. I would have bought a 1.7 single if they had offered one at the time.
I see no reason to get a double unless you want to use a pad between the layers. A second layer adds a lot of weight which might be an issue if you're backpacking.

Just my $0.02

hth

StumpJumper
10-17-2011, 14:02
I'm 6' 185 and opted for the 1.9dbl. There's a few reasons why:

1) I sleep on my side and wanted the flattest lay possible
2) The 1.9dbl is only 2oz's heavier than the 1.1dbl (I think they both use the same top liner) - Added to this, If I decided the double layer was overkill (weight), I could always remove the taffeta top layer on the 1.9 .... which wouldn't have been an option with the 1.1dbl.
3) I couldn't stand the colors of the 1.1's! :rolleyes:

I'm strictly an UQ user, but as ^Shane^ mentioned in an earlier post, the top layer taffeta liner is MUCH more pleasant against the skin.

I'm still dialing mine in comfort wise, but hopefully that helps.

drichi
10-17-2011, 18:44
I have a 1.1 double sb and love it. I am 6' and 215. very comfortable hammock. dave

gtshouse
10-17-2011, 20:46
Thanks to everyone for their input!

HobieCat, I was wondering if the 1.9 would allow for a flatter lay than the 1.1. Thanks!

StumpJumper
10-17-2011, 23:03
Thanks to everyone for their input!

HobieCat, I was wondering if the 1.9 would allow for a flatter lay than the 1.1. Thanks!

At your weight (165) or even my weight (180) it would probably be unnoticeable.

If you know for sure you want to keep two layers, then go for the 1.1 - I would. If you're thinking you'll never use a pad, I'd still go for the 1.9dbl.... it's only $10 more than the single and you'll at least be able to feel the 1.9 vs the taffeta fabric. Removing the taffeta would be easy to go down to a single.

SoCal Mike
10-18-2011, 21:13
I have the 1.9 SL, too. I decided to use UQs, so no dbl layer needed. The 1.9 material is plenty strong for me at 160 lbs, 6'1".

SoCal Mike

rip waverly
10-18-2011, 21:29
155# - 5'8" ..... have the 1.1 dl litehiker....
heavier than my 1.9 single classic..... i sorta liked that the 1.9 single stretched a bit more than the 1.1 double which has that taffeta liner - 1.7 i think.
i don't use pads... but appreciate the shorter length of the litehiker.

to do it again.. i wish they made a single layer litehiker.. but may just cut the liner out as mentioned

DemostiX
10-18-2011, 21:55
So: With Switchbacks and Litehiker, one of the layers in a DL "double layer" is always the same light (polyester) tafetta of unspecified weight; and the number, 1.1. or 1.9 refers to the weight of the major load-carrying outer layer.

Is that right, and unlike the meaning of [1.X] DL for BlackBirds, where 1.X is always the same weight for each of two nylon layers?

rip waverly
10-18-2011, 21:59
So: With Switchbacks and Litehiker, one of the layers in a DL "double layer" is always the same light (polyester) tafetta of unspecified weight; and the number, 1.1. or 1.9 refers to the weight of the major load-carrying outer layer.

Is that right, and unlike the meaning of [1.X] DL for BlackBirds, where 1.X is always the same weight for each nylon layers?

that is my understanding.... that inner taffeta layer appears to be the same type of material as the wbonnet 1.7 or even the grand trunk ul travel hammock-- at least as distinguished by my underdeveloped fabric eye.

it is definitely not a 1.1 or 1.9 ripstop like the outer shell.

gtshouse
10-18-2011, 22:40
Does the taffeta liner make a big difference in the feel on your skin? Unfortunately, I don't do a lot of long hikes, so weight is not the main concern, comfort is.

^shane^
10-19-2011, 06:24
Does the taffeta liner make a big difference in the feel on your skin? Unfortunately, I don't do a lot of long hikes, so weight is not the main concern, comfort is.

The taffeta liner is like silk and makes the ripstop feel a bit like sandpaper. If you are all about comfort, get the double layer with the taffeta liner.

Darby
10-19-2011, 09:32

Is that right, and unlike the meaning of [1.X] DL for BlackBirds, where 1.X is always the same weight for each of two nylon layers?
That is correct. Our second layer is taffeta, it is more comfortable & breathable and reduces the amount of stretch. I would NOT recommend cutting it out of a LightHiker.

Cheers, Dale

DemostiX
10-19-2011, 23:19
I'm having one of those moments like when Knottie revealed that the bed of the Hennessy hammock was a perfect rectangle, gathered to preserve symmetry.

I just went to the the Warbonnetoutdoors web page and missed a statement describing a difference in the material of the two layers for the double layer hammocks. I doubt I'm the only hammocker who has not been in a WBBB who missed that.

But, to stay in this thread:
My understanding of polyester fabric in its non-knit variety is that it is strong, but stretches much less than nylon, and that its hand is softer. Are these the qualities employed in the inner layer of the TdT hammocks?(Claytor constructs and describes the Expedition model that way) Is the same polyester tafetta used in all the TdT hammocks? Does the number in the hammock designation refer, then, to the outer nylon layer only, or to the combined fabric weights (per yard) of both layers?

Darby
10-20-2011, 09:20
I'm having one of those moments like when Knottie revealed that the bed of the Hennessy hammock was a perfect rectangle, gathered to preserve symmetry.

I just went to the the Warbonnetoutdoors web page and missed a statement describing a difference in the material of the two layers for the double layer hammocks. I doubt I'm the only hammocker who has not been in a WBBB who missed that.

But, to stay in this thread:
My understanding of polyester fabric in its non-knit variety is that it is strong, but stretches much less than nylon, and that its hand is softer. Are these the qualities employed in the inner layer of the TdT hammocks?(Claytor constructs and describes the Expedition model that way) Is the same polyester tafetta used in all the TdT hammocks? Does the number in the hammock designation refer, then, to the outer nylon layer only, or to the combined fabric weights (per yard) of both layers?

Hey DemostiX,

We use nylon taffeta in our hammocks. The 1.9 vs. 1.1 is for the hammock body material only, ie; 1.9 DL (double layer) & 1.9 SL (single layer), same with the 1.1"s

Cheers, Dale

spaceweaseal
11-10-2011, 11:51
I love my SB 1.9dlb
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k134/spaceweaseal/8c129408.jpg
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k134/spaceweaseal/c3324d11.jpg

Scooter
11-10-2011, 14:00
Spaceweasel, what are you using for the spreader bars for the bug net? The hammock does not come with these, correct?

spaceweaseal
11-10-2011, 14:27
Spaceweasel, what are you using for the spreader bars for the bug net? The hammock does not come with these, correct?

I used garden stakes...
They are plastic coated aluminum tube. They work really well and are pretty light weight.. It gives me enough space to sit up in the hammock without the net touching me...
No bars come with the SB..
Here is a shot with out the bars or the net. :)
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k134/spaceweaseal/7acd28b8.jpg

Scooter
11-10-2011, 14:35
Gotcha ... BTW, with the spreader bars, it looks like you have cathedral ceilings in that rascal! Also, the Incubator looks like it was made just for the SB. Nice looking rig.

rip waverly
11-10-2011, 14:38
outandback modded some clark spreaders for his,

and if you email darby, he'll hook you up with the plans
on how they used to build the bars with aluminum poles
and sleeves.

Scooter
11-10-2011, 14:44
Appreciate the heads up, rip.