PDA

View Full Version : Calling ALL Ga Hangers: Hang Out Poll

alex30808
04-26-2008, 04:54
Were trying to decide on a place to hang out at that suits the needs of everyone....so...let us know.

alex30808
04-27-2008, 07:49
Seems most dont care where we go...lets just go...

NCPatrick
04-28-2008, 09:41
I think most folks were out this past weekend. Maybe they'll check in here today. I picked "Panter" Creek, but really if it's close and I can make it, I can meet most anywhere in North Georgia.

Youngblood
04-28-2008, 10:12
I agree with FF, the BMT bridge is a sweet spot but it gets a lot of weekend use. I think the Panther Creek Trail off of Old US441 would be a better choice because of that.

FanaticFringer
04-28-2008, 10:44
I agree with FF, the BMT bridge is a sweet spot but it gets a lot of weekend use. I think the Panther Creek Trail off of Old US441 would be a better choice because of that.

Two great spots come to mind at Panther Creek. The first is at the very first bridge you cross. Aprox. 2 miles in. You don't cross the bridge but instead continue straight and you will see a path that leads to several great wide open areas with great views.
Another is of course at the main falls. It would be especially important to claim this spot kinda early. Of course it is a 3.5 mile hike and that might be a bit more than some are interested in. Worth the hike I can promise you. I realize that the agenda is usually to mark a date some time in advance and go then. Sure would be nice to pick a weekend with really nice weather if possible. The sun rays early in the morning shining down on the multiple falls, gorges, etc are spectacular to say the least. If the decision is to go to the first area at the bridge, we could leave most of our gear there and walk to the falls the following morning. Pretty secure area there as it is off the main trail. Just my 3 cents.

Youngblood
04-28-2008, 13:47
I got out Tim Homan's guide book to check the mileages at the Panther Creek Trail. It is 1 mile to the rock outcrop that you have to go up and through. 1.4 miles to the bridge crossing and 3.5 miles to the large falls.

That rock outcrop at 1 mile is challenging without a backpack and will be more so with one. If you are worried about that you may want to have someone with you to hand it off to.

FanaticFringer
04-28-2008, 15:48
I got out Tim Homan's guide book to check the mileages at the Panther Creek Trail. It is 1 mile to the rock outcrop that you have to go up and through. 1.4 miles to the bridge crossing and 3.5 miles to the large falls.

That rock outcrop at 1 mile is challenging without a backpack and will be more so with one. If you are worried about that you may want to have someone with you to hand it off to.

There is another path just past that outcrop that leads up a fairly steep hill. It amazes me as to why they don't put either rock steps or log steps on that hill. I'm often amazed at seeing much older and real young folks past that outcrop section. Wondering how they made it up. Would be a bear trying to go up or down in a downpour. The outcrop way is pretty fun but needs to be carefully manuvered. Adds a nice "bouldering" touch to the trip.

alex30808
04-28-2008, 15:49
are we in agreement on Panther Creek then? If so...lets set a date.

Youngblood
05-01-2008, 08:36
are we in agreement on Panther Creek then? If so...lets set a date.

I suggest we do it soon before it gets hotter. I don't think there is much planning to be done or any reservations to deal with involving the hang out. I don't think we are talking about eating as a group so you bring what you want and just show up... right? If that is the case then it is something that can be done on the spur of the moment-- heck, even this weekend I guess.:) We can always do other ones later on and probably should. It isn't likely that one date will work for everyone that wants to attend and when people try to do that it sometimes implodes and doesn't even happen. Folks just have to understand that it isn't anything personnel if the date chosen doesn't work for them.

Alex, I suggest you pick a date that works for you, go with that and see how it plays out. Others can list dates that work for them and should do so real soon if they can so you can get a better feel.

Unfortunately I have a few dates to work around. Trail Days is May 16-18th in Damascus, VA. The next Southeast Hammock Hangers Association (SEHHA) is June 6-8th in Hot Springs, NC (I checked with Ed Speer yesterday). I have a 25 Year Club dinner from the company I worked at for many years on June 14th that I always try to attend.

For me it looks like the weekends of May 10th, May 24th, or May 31st would work. Then it would have to be June 21st or later.

FanaticFringer
05-01-2008, 14:59
I suggest we do it soon before it gets hotter. I don't think there is much planning to be done or any reservations to deal with involving the hang out. I don't think we are talking about eating as a group so you bring what you want and just show up... right? If that is the case then it is something that can be done on the spur of the moment-- heck, even this weekend I guess.:) We can always do other ones later on and probably should. It isn't likely that one date will work for everyone that wants to attend and when people try to do that it sometimes implodes and doesn't even happen. Folks just have to understand that it isn't anything personnel if the date chosen doesn't work for them.

Alex, I suggest you pick a date that works for you, go with that and see how it plays out. Others can list dates that work for them and should do so real soon if they can so you can get a better feel.

Unfortunately I have a few dates to work around. Trail Days is May 16-18th in Damascus, VA. The next Southeast Hammock Hangers Association (SEHHA) is June 6-8th in Hot Springs, NC (I checked with Ed Speer yesterday). I have a 25 Year Club dinner from the company I worked at for many years on June 14th that I always try to attend.

For me it looks like the weekends of May 10th, May 24th, or May 31st would work. Then it would have to be June 21st or later.

Those days in May sound good.....oh....except for next weekend...Mothers Day.:p
I agree, it is starting to heat up out there. Like I posted earlier, the weather forecast should play a roll also IMO.

alex30808
05-01-2008, 18:52
Lets go for the weekend of the 24th. I'll work a half day and head that way on Friday...will anyone else be comming up on Friday? I'll be leaving out sometime Saturday...just an over nighter. I'll be in church Sunday...

FanaticFringer
05-01-2008, 19:24
Lets go for the weekend of the 24th. I'll work a half day and head that way on Friday...will anyone else be comming up on Friday? I'll be leaving out sometime Saturday...just an over nighter. I'll be in church Sunday...

Will be getting there later on Saturday so I guess I'll miss you.

NCPatrick
05-01-2008, 20:01
Y'all have fun. I'll catch you at the next one.

RAW
05-01-2008, 20:04
I might be able to swing this.

Where would we meet on Friday?
Is there a place that would be safe to leave a motorcycle (or other vehicle)?

FanaticFringer
05-01-2008, 20:14
I might be able to swing this.

Where would we meet on Friday?
Is there a place that would be safe to leave a motorcycle (or other vehicle)?

Yes there is a nice parking area that has a gate. I would not take a motorcyle though.

RAW
05-01-2008, 20:16
I would not take a motorcyle though.

Why's that?

FanaticFringer
05-01-2008, 20:34
Why's that?

I guess it would be o.k. But given the choice, I'd take a car.

Youngblood
05-07-2008, 08:06
Where do we stand on this?

I see Alex on Friday night, FF on Saturday, and RAW as thinking about Friday?

What do we need to do, go in Friday afternoon and camp; hike past to the main falls (and possibly further) and then go back to the campsite for Saturday night; and then do something Sunday?

peanuts
05-07-2008, 09:06
like youngblood said where do we stand and would someone give me a ride?

alex30808
05-07-2008, 17:53
I am currently planning on being there. I may have my oldest with me...not sure...if so...I'll be up there late Friday night and leaving out sometime Saturday evening.

alex30808
05-11-2008, 21:03
Things have changed...I cant be there that weekend...yall have a good time....and I'll try it again at a later date.

FanaticFringer
05-11-2008, 23:20
So who do we have that's still going and when?

Youngblood
05-12-2008, 09:47
So who do we have that's still going and when?

I'm still open, you where a no-go for Friday. I don't know if RAW can make it Saturday, if he can then lets do it Saturday afternoon?

FanaticFringer
05-12-2008, 09:53
I'm still open, you where a no-go for Friday. I don't know if RAW can make it Saturday, if he can then lets do it Saturday afternoon?

Sounds good.

RAW
05-12-2008, 09:56
Don't think I can make it for Saturday night.:(
I've got a 3-year-old family birthday party to attend on Sunday.:rolleyes:

alex30808
05-12-2008, 16:42
Sorry guys...is there another date that can work?

FanaticFringer
05-12-2008, 18:24
Sorry guys...is there another date that can work?

We could go again on another date but I'm still planning on going this weekend.

Youngblood
05-12-2008, 20:52
We could go again on another date but I'm still planning on going this weekend.
Sounds like a good plan. We were going next weekend, not this weekend... are you going next weekend too?

FanaticFringer
05-12-2008, 21:26
I might. It's been too long since I last hung.

Youngblood
05-12-2008, 22:00
I might. It's been too long since I last hung.

I know what you mean, I went out solo last Friday through Sunday on the AT on the spur of the moment. First thing I did was locate Slaughter Gap, it was nice to be there again. Looked like the fire ring had been used recently.

Youngblood
05-13-2008, 09:29
I still up for this if anyone wants to go. If not, I'll probably be out it woods somewhere that weekend. This is a nice time to be out and it will get hot and buggy soon enough.

Thrasher
05-18-2008, 20:59
I think I'm going to come this weekend. I may go out friday night if I can get out there, but I may have to wait until Saturday. I'd like to see some different setups. It's at Panther Creek still right?

FanaticFringer
05-18-2008, 21:37
I think I'm going to come this weekend. I may go out friday night if I can get out there, but I may have to wait until Saturday. I'd like to see some different setups. It's at Panther Creek still right?

Yep it's gonna be at Panther Creek. So far it's me, Youngblood, and yourself.
Saturday nite hang seems to be the consensus.

Thrasher
05-18-2008, 21:55
Alright! I'll just plan for Saturday.

peanuts
05-21-2008, 17:59
ok is this still on? and could i catch a ride with someone. i can meet you:)and what are the days?

Youngblood
05-22-2008, 20:11

Two great spots come to mind at Panther Creek. The first is at the very first bridge you cross. Aprox. 2 miles in. You don't cross the bridge but instead continue straight and you will see a path that leads to several great wide open areas with great views.
Another is of course at the main falls. It would be especially important to claim this spot kinda early. Of course it is a 3.5 mile hike and that might be a bit more than some are interested in. Worth the hike I can promise you. I realize that the agenda is usually to mark a date some time in advance and go then. Sure would be nice to pick a weekend with really nice weather if possible. The sun rays early in the morning shining down on the multiple falls, gorges, etc are spectacular to say the least. If the decision is to go to the first area at the bridge, we could leave most of our gear there and walk to the falls the following morning. Pretty secure area there as it is off the main trail. Just my 3 cents.

I'll look for folks at the spot just past the bridge about 1.5 miles in on Saturday. I'm not sure what time everyone is planning on getting there.

FanaticFringer
05-22-2008, 20:16
I'll look for folks at the spot just past the bridge about 1.5 miles in on Saturday. I'm not sure what time everyone is planning on getting there.

I will be there sometime after 6:00 PM. Have to work earlier that day. What time are you planning on arriving? I'm thinking it may be fairly crowded but who knows. That area is a very popular spot and may be taken. Although it is fairly large, I'm sure we could find some room.

Youngblood
05-22-2008, 21:05
6 pm works for me.

Thrasher
05-23-2008, 22:48
I think I'm going to go up earlier, so I'm probably going to hike to the end and meet you guys by the bridge at about 6pm. That's where you guys will be hanging, right?

FanaticFringer
05-24-2008, 04:43
I think I'm going to go up earlier, so I'm probably going to hike to the end and meet you guys by the bridge at about 6pm. That's where you guys will be hanging, right?

That sounds good. Will see ya there.

alex30808
05-24-2008, 09:04
Sorry I cant make it...Yall have fun and let me know how it goes.

FanaticFringer
05-25-2008, 12:32
Just got back from the hangout. Had a great time. Youngblood and D80 were super nice guys. Good to meet you both. I was gonna bring a camera but assumed someone else would. This might be the first group hang with no photos.:(
Hey Youngblood......how far did you make it on that side trail?

alex30808
05-25-2008, 15:21
Glad the hang was fun. I look forward to gettin with yall and doing this...Just to plan ahead...what would be another good date to do another hang? It's gona get hot soon enough...would a fall hang be better?

Youngblood
05-25-2008, 15:44
Hey Youngblood......how far did you make it on that side trail?

I went to the end. It took 20 minutes from there to the falls and it seemed like it was all down hill. Probably about a mile as it is pretty fast with all the down hill. It ended on a nice looking gravel road with space for about 3 cars.

The hill you guys could see seemed too steep to me. It had loose material on it that could make it easy for your feet to slip on the descend. I had to quick step it down and use the zip zag, down hill ski technique to feel in control. Many novice backpackers freak out on that kind of trail. I can't see carrying heavy loads down that, but I guess they do it.

I had a good trip and enjoyed seeing everyone. I hung out at the falls for a while before heading back. There were a lot of folks with dogs hiking in and the parking lot was so packed that it was tricky backing out of the parking space. About half a dozen cars were circling, looking for a space. I was surprised that about 3 or 4 drove past while I was getting my keys out to get into my trunk before one of them stopped and asked if I was leaving.

I did see a couple of snakes on my way out. One was about a 5 inch ring snake on the trail and another was a water snake in the pool at the bottom of the main falls. I like seeing snakes when they don't surprise me and scare me. I hate it when a hiking partner behind me sees a snake and just yells "SNAKE! SNAKE!" without telling me where in relation to where I am or what kind of snake it is. :D

The last time I was there was a month or so ago and I noticed a small whirlpool in a certain spot along the shore line near the pool at the bottom of the main falls- maybe an inch in diameter. I figure that meant water was draining underground there. I looked for it and didn't see it this morning. I wonder what that is all about?

Thrasher
05-25-2008, 16:22
I had a good time as well. Thanks guys for letting me check out and try out your stuff.

peanuts
05-26-2008, 09:50
so no pics, oh well, maybe i'll make it to the next one.......