PDA

View Full Version : Good carabiner for ridgeline?

Patrick
01-04-2007, 02:41
Made my first hammock tonight following Jeff's excellent instructions. I'm deeply in love.

One thing I never liked about my HH is that the ridgeline kept it from being a really functional chair. So, on this one, I added a 550 ridgeline with a carabiner at the foot.

I really like this set-up, but I'm using a carabiner of unknown and probably low rating. Can you guys recommend some good ones that are as small and light as possible that will still be good for the 200-300 lbs I'm expecting on the ridgeline?

Also, how good is 550 for the ridgeline? It seems strong, but maybe a bit stretchy. Will it stretch and settle after a few uses or should I use something else?

Thanks a lot. I'll be posting pictures of the hammock in the next few days. There are still some things I want to finish up with it.

blackbishop351
01-04-2007, 05:47
I've tried 550 for ridgeline and didn't like it. Definitely strong enough, but definitely too stretchy. I think it's kinda like climbing rope; it's supposed to stretch so it can handle larger dynamic loads. I've tried some small climbing-type cord too (I used some this past weekend) but had the same stretch problem. I ordered some low-stretch cord from the sailing supplier that Jeff lists on his site, but it hasn't arrived yet.

As far as a 'biner, I found some small, light ~200 lb. rated 'biners at my local outfitter. I think they were around $3 apiece. They've worked great so far.

If the ridge on your HH bugs you, you can always cut it and insert a 'biner on that one, too.

slowhike
01-04-2007, 06:24
as far as the binner, i would just go into a local outfitter (if you have one close by) & find an employee that climbs & knows the equipment.
they should be able to show you the lightest binners w/ that weight bearing capacity.
sometimes they will have a digital scale. that would be helpful. ...tim

Patrick
01-04-2007, 09:44
No, no, no. I would have to put pants on, get up, and go outside. What I need is for you guys to show me where on the internet I can get just the right thing. Then I can order on-line with no personal contact whatsoever, all while sitting on the couch in my pajamas eating Fritos.

hangnout
01-04-2007, 10:07
https://www.shop.treklightonline.com/displayProductDocument.hg?productId=30&categoryId=4

I thought about ordering these. Rated at 1100 lbs .8 oz

jakethesnake
01-04-2007, 10:13
That is a great price for 2 good Carabiners. I bought a couple of climbing ones at $20 each.

Just Jeff
01-04-2007, 11:24
550 cord is designed to handle repeated stretching so it can absorb the opening shock of a parachute. It won't settle for a long time...or else a few jumps would make it useless and kill somebody. It'll work ok, but I found it too stretchy for a ridgeline, and it's a bit heavier than some other options. Just make the ridgeline shorter than you think you need and it'll stretch to the right length when you're inside.

550 is a king of multi-use, though - so I always carry two lengths...I forget the exact length, but it's the distance between the harness and chute that I cut off. 12' or so. But everything you can do with the inner core makes it worthy to be in my pack...I've sewn shoulder straps back on, sewn chairs from parachute sections and sticks (not while hiking, of course), used it for dental floss, etc.

So if you use it on your ridgeline, you can justify the extra weight by calling it emergency backup for **** near anything. It has to be real parachute cord, though - I bought some cheap stuff once that didn't have the real inner core.

Patrick
01-04-2007, 12:42
Sold, thank you very much. They even have them in a nice green. I went ahead and got the pair.

That's good to know about the 550. I'll switch to something else. I'm going to order some of that AirCore for my suspension lines, maybe I'll just use that it's so light. Jeff, as I said in e-mail, I'm going to go wild and try to pull some through some 550 sheath for purely vain, aesthetic reasons. Maybe I'll give that a go on the ridgeline first and see how it works out.

Thank you again for the link. At my desk eating hummus, but close enough :)

Doctari
01-05-2007, 09:03
Also, re 550 cord, Don't use REALLY OLD stuff. I managed to seperate the outer sheath the one time I used it for ridge line. :rolleyes:
Actually glad it happened, it had (the 550 cord) been my bear bag rope forever (7 - 10 years) & had been left out (weeks? Months?) before I tried it as ridge line. I don't think, in hindsight, I had that much stress on it, & it did'nt actually break, but the inner cords were taking ALL of the stress.

In answer to your question: I have found "key ring" biners actually rated to 150 Lbs. BUT, it would require you getting dressed to get one. Sorry.

I think I got my last one at Home Depot, but I could be wrong.

Doctari.

blackbishop351
01-05-2007, 09:30
I have found "key ring" biners actually rated to 150 Lbs.

Yup - the ones I have are key ring 'biners and they're rated to 200 lbs. They've got the outfitter's logo on 'em too :D

Just Jeff
01-05-2007, 10:05
And you could double them up for real cheap and still pretty light.

blackbishop351
01-05-2007, 10:09
And you could double them up for real cheap and still pretty light.

When I first cut my HH ridge I used two of 'em, but then I tried one and watched really carefully for the 'biner stretching or bending at all - nothing. So apparently one is enough, at least for me. Of course, a heavier person would need something stronger.

Jonas4321
01-05-2007, 17:58
This is just my opinion, and I have a top-loading (Speer-type) hammock, not a Hennessey, but I use 550 cord (real stuff) for the ridgeline and I like it a lot. The little bit of stretch is perfect, once I rig the thing to the right length (I disconnect it to pack the hammock into the snake-skin like thingies). There's not a heck of a lot of stress on mine once I am in it, but maybe that's because it's not strung super-taut when I hang the hammock. Is there a lot of tension on the ridgeline in a Hennessey when you are in it?

Thank you for the link to the lightweight biners! I just ordered two pair, that is a great price and light!

blackbishop351
01-05-2007, 18:00
JMHO, but if there's not a lot of tension on your ridgeline, it's not doing a whole lot for you structurally. The stuff I used last weekend was like that - I'd pull the suspension tight as can be, get in, lay there for a while, get back out, and the whole thing would be loosened. That means your sag is changing while you're in the hammock; not exactly what I wanted the ridgeline for :p

Coffee
01-06-2007, 00:29
I used para cord on my last hammock. The problem I had is it is too stretchy. Whenever I would hang something on it, the ridgeline and my stuff would be in my face. I now just use the same webbing that I use for the tieouts.

slowhike
01-06-2007, 08:31
I used para cord on my last hammock. The problem I had is it is too stretchy. Whenever I would hang something on it, the ridgeline and my stuff would be in my face. I now just use the same webbing that I use for the tieouts.

do you mean the tieouts on your tarp?
is that 1" webbing like you use for hammock supports?

Coffee
01-06-2007, 12:25
do you mean the tieouts on your tarp?
is that 1" webbing like you use for hammock supports?

No just on the hammock. I guess I need to keep up with the conversation.:)

Jonas4321
01-06-2007, 13:05
JMHO, but if there's not a lot of tension on your ridgeline, it's not doing a whole lot for you structurally. The stuff I used last weekend was like that - I'd pull the suspension tight as can be, get in, lay there for a while, get back out, and the whole thing would be loosened. That means your sag is changing while you're in the hammock; not exactly what I wanted the ridgeline for :p

I use the ridgeline primarily to keep the bugnet (or, when I finish it, spindrift tube/sock thingie) off of my face and to hang my glasses and headlamp on at night. It's under tension, not sagging, but I don't think the forces are all that great. It does alter the sag of the hammock, which I want it to do. Maybe my goals and/or procedure are just different?

When you hang your hammock (not a Hennessey, I know those are strung differently), is your ridgeline already attached, and you pull your ropes/webbing as tight as you can at the trees so that the ridgeline is taut and nearly level, or do you hang your hammock and then attach and tighten the ridgeline? Since I reattach my ridgeline pretty much the same way each time after I tie my hammock ropes to the tree huggers, I don't tighten it up while I am in the hammock.

blackbishop351
01-06-2007, 13:19
When you hang your hammock (not a Hennessey, I know those are strung differently), is your ridgeline already attached, and you pull your ropes/webbing as tight as you can at the trees so that the ridgeline is taut and nearly level, or do you hang your hammock and then attach and tighten the ridgeline? Since I reattach my ridgeline pretty much the same way each time after I tie my hammock ropes to the tree huggers, I don't tighten it up while I am in the hammock.

I think any hammock with a structural ridgeline works pretty much the same way as a HH. Or at least that's how I work mine (or try to, since I don't have decent cord for a ridge yet).

Certain
01-09-2007, 21:45
I think I asked this way back when but have slept since then. Do you use a special knot or way of tying the ridgeline to the biner?

Patrick
01-09-2007, 22:54
Michele, I tied a series of overhand knots in the ridgeline about an inch apart so that I could easily change the length of the ridgeline if needed.

When I was first setting it up, I followed Jeff's advice and just lashed it using the Hennessy method to get the length right.

Certain
01-09-2007, 23:27
Hang on....why would you want or need to change the length of the ridgeline on a HH? To tie in between a shorter distance? (just when I thought I had it all figured out :)

Patrick
01-09-2007, 23:37
No, it's a homemade, not an HH. Don't worry, I don't have a real reason, just giving myself some flexibility in case I find that I'd like it a little tighter or looser once I get out there. Maybe my body after some hard miles will want something a little different than it does after a day of sitting on my *** at the office.

Coffee
01-10-2007, 14:36
No, it's a homemade, not an HH. Don't worry, I don't have a real reason, just giving myself some flexibility in case I find that I'd like it a little tighter or looser once I get out there. Maybe my body after some hard miles will want something a little different than it does after a day of sitting on my *** at the office.

Man just when I think I have my setup all figured out someone goes and posts something that I think is a good idea and want to incorperate into my own setup.

Thanks a lot. In a good way.:rolleyes:

slowhike
01-10-2007, 15:09
Man just when I think I have my setup all figured out someone goes and posts something that I think is a good idea and want to incorperate into my own setup.

Thanks a lot. In a good way.:rolleyes:

i got another idea to throw at cha & see what yall think... but i need to finish & take pictures.
i'll try to have something to show this week. ...tim

Coffee
01-10-2007, 15:21
i got another idea to throw at cha & see what yall think... but i need to finish & take pictures.
i'll try to have something to show this week. ...tim

Keep them coming. I just ordered some rope to use as a ridgeline and to tie the hammock to the straps. I think I am going to can the idea of using the strap for a ridgeline for now. I don't think that will same me any weight because I will just make the side tieouts longer.

Certain
01-10-2007, 16:52
Keep them coming. I just ordered some rope to use as a ridgeline and to tie the hammock to the straps. I think I am going to can the idea of using the strap for a ridgeline for now. I don't think that will same me any weight because I will just make the side tieouts longer.

Hey man....you gonna stop fiddling w/that thing soon? Have you noticed the date yet? :D :D

Just Jeff
01-10-2007, 19:57
He has a date? That could get tricky in a hammock... :D

Coffee
01-10-2007, 23:07
Hey man....you gonna stop fiddling w/that thing soon? Have you noticed the date yet? :D :D

I am going to be fiddling with things up until I leave. I'm sure I will be on the ride down thinking, man I should give this a try. Once I hit the trail though I usually leave things alone. I only plan the next project.;)

Yet another reason why I don't have a definite start date or way down there yet. The bus, as scary as it may seem, is starting to look pretty good.

He has a date? That could get tricky in a hammock... :D

No, I need a new line. "Hey do you want to come back to my hammock tonight?", isn't seeming to work well for me.

wilsonbmw
01-11-2007, 09:03
As for hammock related pick up lines. Any combination of the words "swing", "hang", or "hung" should do. As in: "My hammock isn't the only thing well hung."

I appologize that my first post on this forum is an obnoxious and crude attempt at humor, but I couldn't resist.

Certain
01-11-2007, 09:53
As for hammock related pick up lines. Any combination of the words "swing", "hang", or "hung" should do. As in: "My hammock isn't the only thing well hung."

I appologize that my first post on this forum is an obnoxious and crude attempt at humor, but I couldn't resist.

We'd all wonder about you if you weren't crude! :D Welcome!!

Coffee
01-11-2007, 11:58

That's a good one.

Perkolady
01-11-2007, 12:07

Careful,
Someone may want to know if you're asymetrical or deluxe

tee hee!

hangnout
01-11-2007, 20:24
I'm going to go wild and try to pull some through some 550 sheath for purely vain, aesthetic reasons. Maybe I'll give that a go on the ridgeline first and see how it works out.

Patrick, I stole your idea and put the 550 sheath around some amsteel 7/64 cord. Tried to pull through and ended up doing it the slow way, inch by inch. Looks and works great. Thanks for the idea

I wonder how many people will tell me I should not use that paracord to hang my hammock;)

Bird Dog
01-11-2007, 22:56
Welcome BMW.

BD (The D stands for Deluxe)

Jonas4321
01-11-2007, 23:57
Not to be rude and bring this back on topic or anything <grin> but my biners (the ones mentioned a few pages ago) just came in today. I have a hard time believing that these things are rated at 1100 lbs (500kg), but I am going to give it a whirl next weekend in the Adirondacks. I'll take along my regular biners just in case I am lying on my butt in the snow after one of these things snaps.

Yes, I'll be using these to hang from (that is the intent of the seller, I gather). They are about 1/5 the weight of the ones I am using right now. These things are the same size as the 150-pounders you can get at Lowes for $.99, and they don't weigh much more. I'll be using the 150 pounder for my ridgeline...

I might just end up liking this lightweight stuff. Maybe ultralight isn't so far off after all...

blackbishop351
01-12-2007, 00:16
What were these 'wonder biners' again? I looked back but I couldn't find a mention in your previous posts...

hangnout
01-12-2007, 00:24
https://www.shop.treklightonline.com/displayProductDocument.hg?productId=30&categoryId= 4

I thought about ordering these. Rated at 1100 lbs .8 oz

This is the link earlier in this thread

blackbishop351
01-12-2007, 00:45
Thanks...I may have to try those.

Coffee
01-12-2007, 02:23
Patrick, I stole your idea and put the 550 sheath around some amsteel 7/64 cord. Tried to pull through and ended up doing it the slow way, inch by inch. Looks and works great. Thanks for the idea

I wonder how many people will tell me I should not use that paracord to hang my hammock;)

What ever works go for it. I ended up on my butt on the ground last time I used para cord as a load bearing line.

What is your setup and how are you using it? I am interested to see how it is working for you when it would not for me.

hangnout
01-12-2007, 08:37

What ever works go for it. I ended up on my butt on the ground last time I used para cord as a load bearing line.

What is your setup and how are you using it? I am interested to see how it is working for you when it would not for me.

The Amsteel 7/64 cord inside the sheath makes this paracord "super secret stealth cord"

Seeker
01-12-2007, 11:01
let us know how they work out... they look exactly like a set i have that are rated to only 300 lbs... i used them successfully, but decided i didn't like pushing the envelope that much, and went to slightly heavier ones to hang from. if they do work, i've just saved another few ounces!

slowhike
01-13-2007, 13:48
i've brused my back-side (& pride) a few times, and chiped a bone in my elbow pushing the envelope w/ hammock supports<g>, so think i'll play it safe.

The Breeze
01-13-2007, 15:02
how are you using the cambiers to hold up the hammonk?

Certain
01-14-2007, 13:49
Hey everyone....quick question. I purchased a couple of those .8oz load-bearing biners for my ridgline. I went to the animted knot website and in each end of my cut ridgeline, I tied a bowline (with the loop you can form) and then I added an overhand stopper knot for extra safety.

I can now easily slip both ends of my ridgeline onto/off of 1 biner. Is there any advantage to useing 2 biners....meaning each end of my ridgeline slips onto its own biner, and then the biners attach together? I put 2 pics of what I mean. I prefer the 1 biner (save that .8 oz baby!!)

Patrick
01-14-2007, 14:38
Michele,

I have two of those same biners and use just one. I might suggest that you tie a larger bowline in the non-biner end. I found it much easier to hook it in with tired or gloved hands that way.

I considered using two biners, but at the ends of the hammock, so that when the ridgeline was undone, it could be completely removed so it wouldn't be dangling. I decided that would be one more thing to worry about losing, though, so didn't end up doing it.

Just Jeff
01-14-2007, 16:20
Use a biner on one end and a larkshead on the other end. Like the pics on my hammock supports (http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock3.html) page. Then you can unclip the biner and slide the ridgeline through the loop at the other end, and remove it w/o untying the hammock.

Jonas4321
01-14-2007, 18:06
how are you using the cambiers to hold up the hammonk?

I use webbing on the trees, clip the biner to the webbing, then tie the ropes from my hammock, gear hammock and tarp to the biner. I use Technora T100 rope (5mm) on my hammock.

I like this because the biner is much kinder on the tree webbing than the thin rope is. I have seen damage on my polypro webbing tree straps from the rope. The biner leaves no marks, and that makes me feel safer.

I think it's easier to tie the ropes to the biner than to the webbing too, as I can cinch up the webbing snug to the trees. It's tough to thread the rope between the webbing and the tree if they are snugged up.

The Breeze
01-14-2007, 19:14
thanks for all the help on this formum I think I have got to the point were I feel ready enouff to go to the woods .well when i get that underquilt finishes:rolleyes:

Certain
01-24-2007, 11:13
Use a biner on one end and a larkshead on the other end. Like the pics on my hammock supports (http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock3.html) page. Then you can unclip the biner and slide the ridgeline through the loop at the other end, and remove it w/o untying the hammock.

Ok...I've been looking at your site, and I looked at how to make a larks head knot on the animated knots site, but I'm not understanding how to make one on the cut end of my ridgeline when the other end of it is still connected permanently at the HH knot. I'd LOVE to be able to tie my hammock and then be able to connect/disconnect the ridgeline w/out having to untie and retie my hammock, but I haven't figured out how yet. What you're saying here sounds like this is the way, but I'm not quite getting it. :(

I attached a pic. Obviously the two ends of the ridgeline going outward are going to the HH knot. So how do you make a larks head w/the left one? Thanks.

blackbishop351
01-24-2007, 12:09
It's possible Jeff was thinking you were talking about adding a ridge to a homemade hammock, not cutting your HH ridge...

I tied a bight in both cut ends of the original ridge. I also added a piece of my own cord (make sure it's strong enough) because the original ridgeline wasn't long enough and my bugnet was sagging a bit. Basically, you just want to end up with two bights, through which you can clip your 'biner however you want.

I can try to draw something up if you want.

Certain
01-24-2007, 12:41
It's possible Jeff was thinking you were talking about adding a ridge to a homemade hammock, not cutting your HH ridge...

I tied a bight in both cut ends of the original ridge. I also added a piece of my own cord (make sure it's strong enough) because the original ridgeline wasn't long enough and my bugnet was sagging a bit. Basically, you just want to end up with two bights, through which you can clip your 'biner however you want.

I can try to draw something up if you want.

I wondered that too at first, but thought I'd ask him anyway. Well, what I've found is that many times, after I've hung it, sat in it, hung all my gear on it and stretched it a bit, I can hook/unhook the biner without having to retie my hammock. I just have to pull pretty hard, and this was before I put nice big loops in the ends like I have now. (I'm only unhooking one end btw) I think the way I have it now will work pretty good.

I would like to see a pic of what you're talking about though. Glad to see everyone has realized how much of a dunce I am about stuff, unless I can see it. I'm an extreme version of the visual learner! :D

blackbishop351
01-24-2007, 13:27
Check out the pic Jeff took of my ridgeline at Hot Springs:

http://www.tothewoods.net/HikingPicturesHotSprings.html

If that's not enough detail for you, let me know and I'll draw something.

Certain
01-24-2007, 20:16
Ok, I looked at the pic again. Here's what I see. You tied two pieces of some other cord to the ends of your cut spectra. Those new pieces are tied to the biner.

2 questions now. How does this allow you to keep the hammock tied and remove/hook up your ridgeline? And what exactly is a bight? Is it something adjustable?

Man...you've done it now huh? haa haa haa

blackbishop351
01-24-2007, 20:22
Lol nah...no problem.

A 'bight' is a knot-tying term for a static loop. Nothing fancy to it. Double overhand, double figure eight, etc.

With the two loops and the 'biner, I can go one of two ways on doing/undoing the ridge. Generally, I leave the hang pretty loose when I first get into camp. I undo the ridge. Then I can lounge to cook and whatever. When I'm ready for bed, I rehook the ridge and tension the supports the rest of the way - I like my HH pretty tight.

The other thing I've noticed is that, even after extended use, I still get some stretch in my setup after I've been in it a while. I don't know if it's in the suspension or the hammock itself, but it's there. That allows me enough slack to undo the 'biner after everything's been tightened, like in the morning for cooking.

The extra piece in my ridge is just some of the stock HH support spectra, which I added to lengthen the ridge - it was too short when I got it, like I said. If yours isn't, you shouldn't need that part. The extra length of the 'biner should account for the ridge cord you use up tying the bights.

Feel free to ask away! :D

Just Jeff
01-24-2007, 20:29
Michele, I thought you were trying to completely remove the ridgeline...forget about what I said. Just use the biner like Patrick says. Sorry about the confusion.

Jonas4321
01-26-2007, 19:16
Just an update on those 500kg biners-

I used them last weekend and was perfectly fine with them. Before I left, I hung my hammock in the basement (the floor joists are perfectly spaced!), sat in my hammock and BOUNCED as hard as I could at least a dozen times, putting WAY more stress on my hammock and those biners than I EVER would in real life.

No sign of any deformation.

I'm sold! I put away my heavy biners and these are now the standard equipment for hanging my hammock!

Once more with the link to the biners in question:

https://www.shop.treklightonline.com/displayProductDocument.hg?productId=30&categoryId=4

Jonas

Certain
01-26-2007, 23:24
Michele, I thought you were trying to completely remove the ridgeline...forget about what I said. Just use the biner like Patrick says. Sorry about the confusion.

Ok...cool. I thought I'd smoked too much crack or something when I couldn't figure out how to use those knots you suggested! :D

I think I've got something that works really good now. Just gotta get out there and test it. I'm going to try to do an overnighter in this cold Michigan weather in late February.

Coldspring
08-22-2008, 17:38
Now that I have a zipper mod on my HH, I want to get a carabiner on my ridgeline, and upgrade the ridgeline center cord. I can't seem to find what I'm looking for in the old threads.

What is a good carabiner to put on the ridgeline? Obviously I want small and light, but I also want to avoid shiny silver or obnoxious colors.

And how about good cording for the ridgeline? I suppose the stock cord is satisfactory, but what else is out there, in a subdued color?

GrizzlyAdams
08-22-2008, 20:58
Now that I have a zipper mod on my HH, I want to get a carabiner on my ridgeline, and upgrade the ridgeline center cord. I can't seem to find what I'm looking for in the old threads.

What is a good carabiner to put on the ridgeline? Obviously I want small and light, but I also want to avoid shiny silver or obnoxious colors.

And how about good cording for the ridgeline? I suppose the stock cord is satisfactory, but what else is out there, in a subdued color?

The ridgeline shouldn't have more than 100 lbs of force on it---can have way less if you understand what you're doing when you hang---and so the cheap lightweight biners you can get in a big box like Home Depot ought to be just fine.

LashIt is some really strong, really light stuff, and is available in grey. That's what my ridgeline is made of these days.

Grizz

Reeper
08-26-2008, 20:49
I got mine from REI. THey have a great selection. Small and lite. When I got them I was around 275bl and have held great.