PDA

View Full Version : Clark Hammock rain fly

montana
04-28-2008, 17:31
First I'd like to thank you guys for the info on my first question. Second question is can you use the fly on the CNA independently of the hammock to get better tension in high winds? If not, what do you fellas suggest? I've read about buying other tarps, but not really interested in that if I can make this one work.

thanks

photomankc
04-28-2008, 17:43
First thing I did was detach the fly from the hammock. Just keep in mind that it will make it more difficult at first to get the coverage right. You'll need practice. The XL will keep the hammock dry and give you some small working area in a light rain but if the wind kicks up you have to pitch it pretty steep and most of the space evaporates.

I tie the bug net out to the trees if I have the tarp higher using the bungee cords or self tensioning lines.

I actually like the XL. It seems fairly flexible and light but once again, don't expect miracles in coverage with wind plus rain.

fin
05-01-2008, 09:21
First thing I did was detach the fly from the hammock. Just keep in mind that it will make it more difficult at first to get the coverage right. You'll need practice. The XL will keep the hammock dry and give you some small working area in a light rain but if the wind kicks up you have to pitch it pretty steep and most of the space evaporates.

I tie the bug net out to the trees if I have the tarp higher using the bungee cords or self tensioning lines.

I actually like the XL. It seems fairly flexible and light but once again, don't expect miracles in coverage with wind plus rain.

Excellent advice. I leave my Clark fly attached at all times, but can see the advantages of disconnecting. The Clark fly is great for protecting the hammock, as that is what it was designed for. As soon as my first spare Clark fly arrives, I'm going to play around with adding some extra material to it, ala Grizz and his JRB tarp mod, which is why I have the post looking for Clark tarps. I want to try to elimate everyones argument that the tarp is too small for hanging out under, cooking, etc.. with a little DIY.

RAW
05-01-2008, 09:39
With some mitten hooks from Youngblood and some cord, I fashioned some longer lines for attaching my bugnet to the ridgeline pullouts of whatever tarp I use.

It holds the bugnet up just fine and allows for any tarp you wanna use . . . and pitching it as high or as low as you want.

You can see the line in this picture (that I apologize for posting so many times now).
http://steelgod.smugmug.com/photos/285878153_wZDZt-L.jpg

Hector
05-01-2008, 12:53
> I want to try to elimate everyones argument that the tarp is too small for
> hanging out under, cooking, etc.. with a little DIY.

Um, isn't making the stock tarp bigger so people won't say the stock tarp is too small kind of "a self-defeating power, warrior?" :)

fin
05-01-2008, 13:31
> I want to try to elimate everyones argument that the tarp is too small for
> hanging out under, cooking, etc.. with a little DIY.

Um, isn't making the stock tarp bigger so people won't say the stock tarp is too small kind of "a self-defeating power, warrior?" :)

Contradictory, yes; it no longer becomes a stock tarp, but it's still the basic Clark design that I like, just expanded. It's also a lot cheaper than buying a new tarp! A couple yards of $1 walmart ripstop should make a huge difference in coverage, even if it is "self-defeating" in the way I described what I'm trying for. A misstatement of my purpose - I guess I want to prove that the tarp is not useless as some suggest, with a little DIY it can be made just as worthy as any other tarp as an all-purpose tarp and not just a hammock cover.

mataharihiker
05-01-2008, 13:37
I always keep the tarp set-up separate from the hammock set-up...and actually, if I don't have to deal with 40mph wind-driven rains which switch direction in the middle of the night, the stock XL tarp is just fine for me to live under...I use the hammock as a chair and find I have plenty of room to live comfortably under the XL tarp...I think the XL would be just fine in most conditions and, if I DO have really bad winds, well, I'll deal with it...the Weathershield is a great windbreak...and, wind is one of the reasons I'm going to be using a Jetboil this year...

angrysparrow
05-01-2008, 13:38
With some mitten hooks from Youngblood and some cord, I fashioned some longer lines for attaching my bugnet to the ridgeline pullouts of whatever tarp I use.

Any issues with rain running down the cord to the bugnet in incliment weather? You must be using something for drip stoppage on that line (knot, string, etc).

Also, OT, I like those little Kermit Chairs. Too bad they're too heavy for backpacking.

mataharihiker
05-01-2008, 13:43
My chair of choice? The original Slinglight...it weighs 1 pound 4 oz with the headrest and I would NEVER forgo the headrest...I've fallen asleep in that chair...not for heavier folks (over 250) or those with bad knees, I might add...I even dayhike with my Slinglight....

http://inlinethumb56.webshots.com/4407/2164479510046140551S425x425Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb55.webshots.com/2998/2177409490046140551S425x425Q85.jpg

Youngblood
05-01-2008, 17:13
Any issues with rain running down the cord to the bugnet in incliment weather? You must be using something for drip stoppage on that line (knot, string, etc).

Good question. Usually the knot tying the ridgeline to the tarp acts like a drip stopper. RAW will have that and the knot on the mitten hook that ties to it. He hooked the mitten hook over the tarps ridgeline. Maybe all that will work.

When you have a line with water running along the bottom edge, the water can either follow the slope of the line or fall directly to the ground. Which happens is a function of the slope of the line versus the surface tension(?) between the water and the line. If water runs down the line, then you need a drip stopper or something to divert it from where you don't want it to end up. With the slight slope and the thin line used on tarp ridgelines, I haven't noticed water coming down it as a problem. When I have thought to look, I have only seen a little dripping from the knot tying the ridgeline to the tarp.

RAW
05-01-2008, 17:44

Also, OT, I like those little Kermit Chairs. Too bad they're too heavy for backpacking.

No issues so far, but . . . it didn't rain much after I made this change.

With the way I had it though . . . the top mitten hook would probably be the drip point. And the line is all safely under the tarp.

Time will tell.

Mule
05-19-2008, 14:17
I just ordered the nx 200 and don't know about using the tarp. I don't like the looks of the tarp from the pictures, so how many of you use something else. I have a costom made MacCat with a 14 foot ridgeline that works great for my Claytors. Any advice? Mule

RAW
05-19-2008, 14:48
Hiya, Skinner!

Welcome to the Clark club.

I have a Speer Winter Tarp.
But I've been discussing a custom tarp with Brian.

I ordered my NX-200 without the fly.

I have some line tied to the bugnet tie-outs. Then I have a single section of shock-cord tied into each of those lines (just like the tarp tensioner mod . . . but without the shock-cord being doubled over in a U shape) . . . and then I tie those lines out to the ridgeline tie-outs. Works great.

My new custom tarp will have some flat loops on the underside of the ridgeline, spaced about 8 ft. apart (though the bugnet tie-outs are at 5 or 6 feet if I remember correctly).

cavediver2
05-19-2008, 15:18
I just ordered the nx 200 and don't know about using the tarp. I don't like the looks of the tarp from the pictures, so how many of you use something else. I have a costom made MacCat with a 14 foot ridgeline that works great for my Claytors. Any advice? Mule

Well skinner

I hope you like your clark as much as you do the Claytor. The new tarp is longer that is for sure. If you use a hiking poles on one side you should have plenty of room underneath for shade. I sit in mine instead of useing a stool or some other type of seat. as for getting changed under it there is enough room to do so but you will have to be leaning over to do it if you dont use hiking poles or some kinda tie out like it.

I have a MacCat Deluxe tarp as well and have not used it with it yet but I plan on it tomorrow im going to load my bass boat up and go down the ohio river and find a place to camp for the next two days.

I have a 9x9 neo tarp and have used it with the N/A and it does not work good at all does not give enough coverage on the sides at all in my opinion.

Mule
05-22-2008, 12:23
I got the Clark Tuesday morning and had it on it's way back by early afternoon. I thought it was a nice hammock, but to me, not a comfy as a Claytor, especially my DIY model. I was expecting to be impressed by the NX-200 as many of the Clark users are, but for me, for me....... I didn't like the overall design. Good design and good craftsmanship, but just is not for me. Thanks to all who helped me to get to the place where I could at least consider one. I had to go that far for curiosity's sake. Steve