PDA

View Full Version : What sort of UQ do you use...

Cjreynol
10-23-2011, 22:26
...with your doublenest? I have been looking around, and wanted some opinions. No need for the any will do response, I am sure they are all well-made, but I'd like personal stories with maybe a pro and con or two?

Triggerhpy
10-23-2011, 23:44
I have a KAQ new river, long. They make em wider and 4" thick. Its keeped me plenty warm. But I do need one one a little wider.

JayS
10-23-2011, 23:52
My son uses, and likes, a DIY copy of a JRB Hudson River.

muddog15
10-24-2011, 05:38
Warmer tarp blanket is a lot cheaper than a real UQ and a lot lighter and it is also multi use. There wind proof and water proof, also a lot less bulk and weight to have to carry. warmer.com I think is the web site. They are around $15.00.

FireInMyBones
10-24-2011, 06:45
I made my own loosely based on the 3 season WB Yeti.

futbolfreak08
10-24-2011, 06:58
i use a diy primaloft UQ. it has a layer of 4oz and 3oz primaloft. it was relatively easy to make.

bigbamaguy
10-24-2011, 09:11
On my ENO DN's I have used the KAQ New River UQ and a DIY version of the Jarbridge UQ from Arrowhead Equipment The only con I have found is the Jarbridge is too short for my tastes, I have restless legs at night in the hammock and could not keep my feet on a pad........... Good luck in the quest for UQ Nirvana!!!!!!!

Reeper
10-25-2011, 10:03
Check out Leigh's UQ's. They are awesome and a great price. Warbonnet makes a great one too and a good price. Both are very warm.

Cjreynol
10-26-2011, 07:59
Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the input! :)

Rooster
10-26-2011, 08:14
Warmer tarp blanket is a lot cheaper than a real UQ and a lot lighter and it is also multi use. There wind proof and water proof, also a lot less bulk and weight to have to carry. warmer.com I think is the web site. They are around $15.00.

Please provide more info on this.

wyleone
10-26-2011, 11:00
Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the input! :)

Lots of input but a broad spectrum. How do you hang? Backpacking? biking? Motorcycle? Car camping?

I use a AHE KAQ Jarbridge river and it kept me warm to 35F this last weekend even in the wind. But I bought a 3/4 3 season quilt. Why? because I backpack with my UQ and a full length would be too much. Also I live on the Alabama Gulf Coast and our temps usually only get down to freezing. So I don't need a thick winter quilt.
It is like buying a vehicle. First you figure out what you need by knowing what you will do with it. I guarantee a AHE KAQ Flamethrower will be warmer than what I have and that it will go great with your Doublenest. But it will be alot of volume for Cycling or Backpacking and this not a good choice for those applications.

You can get way more specific opinions if you list how you will use it. ;)

Cjreynol
10-26-2011, 12:22
...You can get way more specific opinions if you list how you will use it. ;)

Good point, mostly going to be for backpacking if that changes anyone's opinion.

Cannibal
10-26-2011, 12:29
My favorite quilt on the ENOs and Trek Lights is my SnugFit.
Can't really tell you why, it just seems 'right'. :D

garethw
10-26-2011, 13:29
Hi there
I use the Snugpak underblanket... First really try out was this weekend... temps down to 0°C, ground frost the morning... I was warm and snug, in clothes with just a 2 season bag on top.
Very nice piece of kit... even if its not down.
cheers
Gareth

-FiveFiveSix-
11-14-2011, 19:07
I took a poncho liner, and some shock cord, made my own under quilt.. My simple homemade Poncho-liner-underquilt and zero degree bag (wiggys) kept me warm down into the teens.... I had to vent every hour or so if it got above 30..

lazy river road
11-14-2011, 19:12
I don't have a double nest but I use either an Incubator or Phoenix from Hammock Gear for all my hammocks.

muddog15
11-15-2011, 01:16
I took a poncho liner, and some shock cord, made my own under quilt.. My simple homemade Poncho-liner-underquilt and zero degree bag (wiggys) kept me warm down into the teens.... I had to vent every hour or so if it got above 30..

This is going to be my next project, I don't know how to do this yet but im going to try to figure it out. Poncho liners a great to have in your pack.

Red Wing
11-15-2011, 13:32
I use a winter incubator on my ENO double.. fits perfect, had my best sleeps in a hammock in that setup..

-FiveFiveSix-
11-15-2011, 14:07
This is going to be my next project, I don't know how to do this yet but im going to try to figure it out. Poncho liners a great to have in your pack.

Its really simple, make two slices in the end channel on the short sides of the liner.. Run para cord through them, use some barrel locks and sinch up a bit, then run some shock cord to your suspension..

ratherbecampin
11-15-2011, 14:31
This past week I just made my own from a $3 sleeping bag I bought at my local thrift store. No experience other than watching youtube videos on how to use a sewing maching. My seem is ugly, but functional. Need to make some changes but I was plenty warm down to 30 degrees. Wasnt very heavy, thinking of a way to make it even lighter. Hung in my backyard last Friday night with it to test it. Slept from 10p-6a when my wife came out a woke me(Mumford and Sons puts me right to sleep). What I have learned, dont over think it. No sense in spending tons of money on one. Sythetic insulation did me just fine. Granted Im in Alabama and it was 74 degrees TODAY, jeez where in November I thought, the coldest I have ever seen was 8 degrees. Your climate may change things.

**Im no expert**

fuzzie
11-15-2011, 15:01

Please provide more info on this.

Bump...Bump...Bump

Red Wing
11-15-2011, 19:38
One thing to consider about a waterproof under insulation is condensation. Only insulating system I know of that uses a vapor barrier (waterproof) , which is actually a space blanket, get reported to have condesation issues more than any other insulation I've seen used. Something to consider, definitely try out your insulation ideas with a safety net in case you run into an issue like this.

Kodiak1
11-15-2011, 19:46
Please provide more info on this. Warmer tarp Thanks

muddog15
11-16-2011, 07:56
Slo is right about condensation with the tarp space blanket I suggested in my other post. But I havent had a problem with condensation only using the tarp/blanket as an underquilt, I have had problem with conditionsation using the things as a blanket. I live in a humid environment so I'm going to have condensation problems, if you live in a dryer climate you shouldn't have as much of a problem, with the thing hung under your hammock. I have used this blanket down to 40 degree nights. They almost work to good. I'm also as soon as I can get around again, (back surgery), try a military poncho liner for an UQ. I hope for my climate it will work better, back to the space blanket. I would only recommend one of these space tarp/blanket if your humidity is low, I got to warm the few times I used it, but I like being comfortably cold even when I sleep. I have no experience hamock camping in snow country so I don't know if it would work or if humidity would be a problem or not. The blanket/tarp is water proof and wind proof, the manufacturer says it will reflect up to 80%

BillyBob58
11-16-2011, 09:59
Slo is right about condensation with the tarp space blanket I suggested in my other post. But I havent had a problem with condensation only using the tarp/blanket as an underquilt, I have had problem with conditionsation using the things as a blanket. I live in a humid environment so I'm going to have condensation problems, if you live in a dryer climate you shouldn't have as much of a problem, with the thing hung under your hammock. I have used this blanket down to 40 degree nights. They almost work to good. I'm also as soon as I can get around again, (back surgery), try a military poncho liner for an UQ. I hope for my climate it will work better, back to the space blanket. I would only recommend one of these space tarp/blanket if your humidity is low, I got to warm the few times I used it, but I like being comfortably cold even when I sleep. I have no experience hamock camping in snow country so I don't know if it would work or if humidity would be a problem or not. The blanket/tarp is water proof and wind proof, the manufacturer says it will reflect up to 80%
In my experience at least- YMMV so experiment with safe bailout plan - keeping the space blanket/vapor barrier "warm" is the key. If it is close to your back(as in right under the hammock) AND between you and the insulation, condensation is going to be much lower and likely for me even insignificant.

If any non-breathable layer- a sil-nylon undercover, or UQ protector, or VB or space blanket- is exposed to the cold air(without another "warm" VB between you and insulation), get ready for condensation when your warm, vapor filled insensible perspiration contacts these cold layers. (think of your car's cold windshield if you don't blast it with warm air from the defroster) I think this is worse for layers which are above you, considering warm(vapor filled) air rises. Even if kept warm, then you run into the normal vapor barrier issues. The moisture has no where to escape to, and soon things become very humid and damp, even if that VB layer is kept warm. But a space blanket hung under my hammock- say in a HHSS or inside a PeaPod- is not in tight contact with my back, So if it does not condense on this layer- because this layer is close to body temp- this humid air may be able to "rise" and "escape', especially when I move around.

But that is just my theory, or WAG. For some reason I have only had the most minor of condensation(might have been sweat) occur on my space blankets. Mostly, I get none far as I can tell. But this is always a warm layer close under me. I seem to be able to use this approach to significantly boost warmth with any UQ. (For example, I was able to have a warm back at 10F in a 20F rated PeaPod) Plus it keeps my insulation drier on week long trips. Some other folks are just as lucky with this approach, some others are not. So again, YMMV. Safe experimentation highly recommended.

djminnesota
03-07-2012, 22:49
i made my own out of an old rectangular sleeping bag i found in the attic. 1.50 for a bit of thread, and i had my self a nice little uq that ive take down to around 20*

Catavarie
03-08-2012, 02:38
I'm a DIYer, so I made mine out of some of Hancock's ripstop and down harvest from a pillow. Total cost me around $30 for a nice down UQ that should get me down to mid 30s. Yet to have a chance to test it out at those temps thus far though. Already planning my next made of M50 and 900+ down from Thru-Hiker. I'm figuring a 20* 3/4 quilt weighing around 10oz with full suspension and costing around $100. :D

RGR
03-08-2012, 14:16
HammockGear Incubator for me but I have a custom wider UQ coming from underground quilts which I am anxious to try out. Slept pretty good with the 20* incubator in 10* weather last week.

Big Papi
03-08-2012, 17:50
I use hammockgear's 0 degree custom wide and long quilts. I have another set from another mfgr, but the quality in the hammockgear is second to none, plus i love the head closer snap idea.

Boomer
03-10-2012, 23:07
I've used a sleeping bag (moves around) WallyWorld blue CCF (moves around, sweaty back & cold shoulders), Jarbridge (ok), Winter Yeti (warmer, but shorter than the Jarbridge), FlameThrower (As long as the Jarbridge - Great for summer) and Incubator 0*s.

My favorite is the Incubator, as no cold toes. HG's workmanship has been second to none so far.