PDA

View Full Version : Holy Cow! My New Hh Tarp Is Huge!

heescha
04-29-2008, 10:38
So i just opened my new hexfly tarp form HH and it is absolutly HUGE! i really didn't comprehend it's size! JEEZE LA WEEZE...I LOVE IT!

anyone have tips or tricks for hanging/using/packing it?

i plan to make some mesh snake skins for it.

Hooch
04-29-2008, 11:36
So i just opened my new hexfly tarp form HH and it is absolutly HUGE! i really didn't comprehend it's size! JEEZE LA WEEZE...I LOVE IT!

anyone have tips or tricks for hanging/using/packing it?

i plan to make some mesh snake skins for it.Cram it in a stuff sack and keep it on the outside of your pack.

attroll
04-29-2008, 11:50
How big is is? I look on the Hennessey site and could not find it. How about some pictures top show us?

jeffjenn
04-29-2008, 12:14
HH site says 132"x120" but mine is closer to 12' along the ridge. BIG! Specs are found on their site under accessory catalogue.

winger
04-29-2008, 12:34
I have the same tarp and really like it too, and relatively lightweight considering the square footage of coverage. I have a silnylon stuff sack it goes into, wet more often than not, and then I just put it into the outside stretch pocket on the ULA backpack. I'm using the JRB elastomer guy lines which are really nice in windy conditions.

heescha
04-29-2008, 13:56
what are these JRB elastomer guy lines for? is that the mod that you put shock cord in so it will stretch a little?

Anyway...what is the best way to set it up? how hight above the hammock do you guys hang it?

angrysparrow
04-29-2008, 14:04
what are these JRB elastomer guy lines for? is that the mod that you put shock cord in so it will stretch a little?

Yes, the lines have some rebound to them so that when the tarp stretches some they will prevent any looseness or sag.

JRB sells them here (http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/Self%20Tensioning%20Lines.htm), JustJeff has an article about making your own (http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearTarpTensioner2.html), and both Youngblood and HC4U have great techniques for making them from shockcord here (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3731).

Anyway...what is the best way to set it up? how hight above the hammock do you guys hang it?

Depends on the weather for me. The worse the weather, the lower and tighter to the hammock the better.

Hooch
04-29-2008, 14:05
I think Doug the Elder had one of those this past weekend at Hot Springs. If I remember correctly, he'd modified it by sewing on end extensions that could be used to completely enclose the ends. Doug, do you care to chime in on this?

Youngblood
04-29-2008, 15:57
I think Doug the Elder had one of those this past weekend at Hot Springs. If I remember correctly, he'd modified it by sewing on end extensions that could be used to completely enclose the ends. Doug, do you care to chime in on this?

That's what he had and it looked real good. T-Back has done that with a smaller hex tarp and had it at one of the Hot Springs campouts last year. I took photos of most everyone's setup last weekend, maybe I should post them. There are a lot of them so it will be job, but I guess there is a lot to learn by seeing what others did.

Hooch
04-29-2008, 16:05
That's what he had and it looked real good. T-Back has done that with a smaller hex tarp and had it at one of the Hot Springs campouts last year. I took photos of most everyone's setup last weekend, maybe I should post them. There are a lot of them so it will be job, but I guess there is a lot to learn by seeing what others did.Yep, T-Back did the same thing to a MacCat trap, but the end closures were smaller, if I'm not mistaken. Doug's were large enough to cover each other, effectively sealing each end off completely if I was looking at it right.

Youngblood
04-29-2008, 16:35
T-Backs tarp was smaller and his doors may have been. He used Velcro to fasten the edges of the doors together.

Javaman
04-29-2008, 20:35

I tie one end of mine to the tree using some paracord and a Niteize figure9 device. I then hang the other end on the hammock suspension line using the prussik knot/clip. The paracord end gets tied about 6" below the hammock treehugger.

I made up some of the paracord/elastic cord tarp tensioners found in a recent thread in the tarp section, but have not yet tried them out.

heescha
04-29-2008, 22:27
anyone have any pictures of their set up? i'm really interested in that stuff about closing the ends

BEAS
05-01-2008, 12:14
I thought mine was huge also. But not big enough to set up in the wrong direction which allows the wind to blow in with rain attached to it.

What is the best way to set this up in the rain? And what about the rain running down the string to the hammock?

Someone was looking for pics of the tarp check out my gallery. Hennessey did come up with some brilliance with the tie out storage area in the corners of the tarp. You can figure 8 the strings then stuff them in the little pocket sewn into the corner of the tie out. BRILLIANT!!

neo
05-01-2008, 12:57
HH site says 132"x120" but mine is closer to 12' along the ridge. BIG! Specs are found on their site under accessory catalogue.

the silnylon hex tarp is really big it has a 144 in ridge line:cool: neo

heescha
05-01-2008, 13:43
well i shoudl be able to test it tonight! it is supposed to rain/sleet/snow!