PDA

View Full Version : Faster vs cheaper shipping

Dutch
10-27-2011, 09:54
I ship almost everything first class and things arrive in about a week after shipping. It means;
cons
I have to go to the post office every day and get everything weighed.
I don't get any tracking
It takes 3 to 7 days instead of 2 to 3 for priority.

pros
I save my customers a couple dollars.
I reduce my packaging to just what is needed.

One of the challenges is my merchandise is small and relatively inexpensive. Who would want to pay $5 to have a pair of tarp flyz sent..maybe some.

It would be great to get some feedback from you as to what is imprtant. I now ship for about $1.75 to $3 and it would likely go up to $5 for priority.

Bubba
10-27-2011, 09:58
Don't know what your cost differences are for Canada but cheapest is best IMO. We typically have to wait longer anyways so any extra postage would not make that much difference.

Rooster
10-27-2011, 10:00
I say to continue your current shipping procedure if you are satisfied with it.

If a customer wants faster shipping, let them know what options are available and have them pay the difference in price.

Boothill
10-27-2011, 10:04
I say to continue your current shipping procedure if you are satisfied with it.

If a customer wants faster shipping, let them know what options are available and have them pay the difference in price.

+1, this is exactly what i was gonna say

i like the way you pack things too, minimal packing = less trash and less resources used

boot

Hawk-eye
10-27-2011, 10:06
Stick with what you're doing unless someone makes a special request would be my suggestion. I know what your doing works great!

pgibson
10-27-2011, 10:07
Dutch. On the first class side, you could get a relatively inexpensive scale for $20-30 and do your shipping though paypal. You get delivery confirmation(tracking) included, an email with the tracking is sent to the customer and you can print the label all in a couple steps. Then schedule pick up on line if dropping by the post office is not convenient. You can use Priority though paypal as well. Internationals are the only ones that don't work well as it forces you to use priority international rather than 1st class international which really jacks the price up.

PM me for phone if you want some details on how to set up paypal to do it.

Poppabear
10-27-2011, 10:18
Dutch, I have purchased from you a couple of times. I'm extremely happy with the way you do things and have had no complaints. There is an old saying that applies here "if it ain't broken don't fix it".

AScott
10-27-2011, 10:21
I've gotten everything you've sent me in 3 days. I prefer less expensive to fast unless I really need fast. If I need it, I'm glad to have the option to pay for it.

I guess I'm echoing others in saying First Class is fine, but giving the option of faster if the customer wants it would be great.

aboyd
10-27-2011, 10:36
Dutch, I have purchased from you a couple of times. I'm extremely happy with the way you do things and have had no complaints. There is an old saying that applies here "if it ain't broken don't fix it".

+1, keep doing what your doing....:D

TFC Rick
10-27-2011, 10:43
I think you should ship in a "Dutch envelope" (invisible lightweight envelope made out of TI that is the worlds best envelope and easy on the eyes) via the Dutchatros birds. I've always wanted to get a package like those kids in Harry Potter.

peanuts
10-27-2011, 10:46
cheap, what i have ordered from you has shown up in 2-3 days. that is one of the reason i don't order online much is the shipping... and besides, your mdse is small and does not weigh much...reg mail is just fine.!!(savings pennies for the latest dutch product..):boggle:

Cranky Bear
10-27-2011, 10:48
Hey man it don't matter to me as long as I get my darn Dutchware, hehe!

Seriously no matter what you decide I will still get gear from you!

nothermark
10-27-2011, 10:49
Worked well for me. I was surprised and happy at the way you shipped to me.

2Questions
Agree with pgibson.....one benefit with customers paying via paypal is the first class shipping. When not shipping priority, I ship first class that way most of the time. That saves me many trips to the post office. Contact pgibson!!:) ZQ

R00K
I think you should hand deliver each shipment down the chimneys of customers at night, like a Ti Santa.

Or keep it the same. It's fair priced and usually not too slow (but I do live close).

Cedar Tree
10-27-2011, 10:54
I ship almost everything first class and things arrive in about a week after shipping. It means;
cons
I have to go to the post office every day and get everything weighed.
I don't get any tracking
It takes 3 to 7 days instead of 2 to 3 for priority.
I reduce my packaging to just what is needed.

I bought a small digital scale (up to 3lbs, metric) for $20 or so at Walmart.
I like Priority Mail mainly because I can print all my shipping from my home computer, place shipments in my mailbox and not have to go to the Post Office. Printing at home is a little cheaper than Post Office rates too, and delivery confirmation is free vs $.70 at PO. All the shipping envelopes are free too. I get them in bulk, my Post Office folks all know my name and about the Packa. You still have to go to the Post Office for international orders, but you can print out the postage and customs forms at home first. Saves a bunch of time over hand writing those customs forms.
ct

the_gr8t_waldo
10-27-2011, 10:59
when it comes to reciving stuff . i want two things...1-cheapest works for me 2- and whatever servivce the shipper uses, it does me no good if the service won't leave it at my door step,mail box, what have you. in the case of the usp, they try to deliver it once and after that it's either phone tag or i end up having to make a trip to the po station to pick up (so much for convience)

Dutch
10-27-2011, 11:28
Great feedback. I expected a mixed bag but I like to reduce tha packaging as much as possible. Paul expect that PM, just not to day I am going to bed. Still would love a lesson.

pgibson
10-27-2011, 11:34
Paul expect that PM, just not to day I am going to bed. Still would love a lesson.

Any Time....good nig.....Day?

:lol:

Rug
10-27-2011, 11:38
I will agree with others and state that I like how small your packaging is. Quite frankly; if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If somebody wants it differently, let them know that options are available but it will cost them. I prefer to have a tracking number on all of my purchases and would gladly pay more to have that feature.

lazy river road
10-27-2011, 11:42
What your doing works so IMHO why change it. :).

2Questions
10-27-2011, 12:02
What your doing works so IMHO why change it. :).

The reason he wants to change it.....it is a huge hassel to have to go to the post office everytime you need to ship first class. If he gets a scale, ships First Class USPS through paypal...it will make his life a whole lot easier!! He can still ship the most economical way...but with a lot less time involved!:D ZQ

lymphocytosis
10-27-2011, 12:10
Dutch, I also ship first class through paypal. I would imagine you could just drop virtually all your packages in a mail box (less than 13 ounces). I just mail everything on my walk to or from work.

lazy river road
10-27-2011, 12:28
The reason he wants to change it.....it is a huge hassel to have to go to the post office everytime you need to ship first class. If he gets a scale, ships First Class USPS through paypal...it will make his life a whole lot easier!! He can still ship the most economical way...but with a lot less time involved!:D ZQ

Thanks ZQ, I then change my vote to change the shipping method. The easier and faster it is for you to ship your gear the more time you'll have to develop new gear for us :laugh:

FireInMyBones
10-27-2011, 12:43

i like the way you pack things too, minimal packing = less trash and less resources used

boot

I prefer less expensive to fast unless I really need fast. If I need it, I'm glad to have the option to pay for it.

I guess I'm echoing others in saying First Class is fine, but giving the option of faster if the customer wants it would be great.

+1 on the above.

Caribou Bentspoke
10-27-2011, 20:15
First class isn't always slow, closer zones are just as fast a priority. With Paypal and a scale, all you have to do is weigh it, throw it in an envelope, and hit "print shipping Label". Done

If that is your machine shop I just saw on a hammock sock video, I think you can handle this small task.:lol:

Catavarie
10-27-2011, 20:34
I say just sneak it into your work's mail room. MUWAHAHAHA!!! :sneaky:

But seriously, go with what works for you, Dutch. Us Ti worshiping minions will just be happy to recieve it in our greasy, grubby hands. :D

PapaSmurf
10-27-2011, 20:55
Then schedule pick up on line if dropping by the post office is not convenient.

Keep in mind, you must have at least 1 Priority package to schedule a pickup online. Otherwise, you have to drop First Class mail off at the Post Office.

My mailman picks up and drops off my packages on my dining room table.

2Questions
10-27-2011, 21:07
Keep in mind, you must have at least 1 Priority package to schedule a pickup online. Otherwise, you have to drop First Class mail off at the Post Office.

My mailman picks up and drops off my packages on my dining room table.

Althought 1 priority package is a must for scheduling a pick up, I put first class mail packages out for the mailman all the time, and he picks them up without any issues. ZQ

PapaSmurf
10-27-2011, 21:21
Althought 1 priority package is a must for scheduling a pick up, I put first class mail packages out for the mailman all the time, and he picks them up without any issues. ZQ

Yes, that's true. I wasn't thinking about leaving it out by the mailbox. I was thinking bigger stuff than Dutch is likely to send out.

2Questions
10-27-2011, 21:24
Yes, that's true. I wasn't thinking about leaving it out by the mailbox. I was thinking bigger stuff than Dutch is likely to send out.

Yes, PapaSmurf, you are correct....bulk amounts might be an issue, but if Dutch tied the packages together or put a rubberband around them...something to keep them together as one...I think the post man would pick them up...I might be wrong..but worth trying.:) ZQ

dippyhippie
10-29-2011, 07:53
Keep it cheap. First class works just fine.

ShadowAlpha
10-29-2011, 08:56
Yes, PapaSmurf, you are correct....bulk amounts might be an issue, but if Dutch tied the packages together or put a rubberband around them...something to keep them together as one...I think the post man would pick them up...I might be wrong..but worth trying.:) ZQ

I gave my post lady a couple of bottles of wine. ;) she drives up my driveway many days & beeps the horn when I have small packages -even if they can fit in my mailbox. She knows I work from home

Roadrunnr72
10-29-2011, 09:30
Hey, Dutch. What ever works the best for YOU!!!! I know that what ever I order, will show up. I like the cheaper is better, but if it makes it easier for you and cost me a few dollars more, then so be it. The stuff you make, only you make. It's not like I can go down to Gander Mtn, Bass pro, or wally world and just pick it up. You have great products, and I will continue to use them, even for a little more on shipping.

It sounds like some others (pgibson, papasmurf, and ZQ) have great ideas for you.

Dutch
10-29-2011, 09:47
I've made it so first class is the norm, but you have an option of Priority if you wish for a few dollars more.

dkperdue
10-29-2011, 12:31
How much do you ship?
I set up an Endicia account that runs $9.95 a month and can print as much postage as I need. You get to buy postage online as you need it, have the option for the various types of mail (Media, 1st Class, Parcel Post, etc.)
With this sort of printed labels with the pre-paid postage you don't have to take items over 13 ounces to the counter, you can just stick them in the mailbox.
Also, I get to put insurance on it if I want and Delivery Confirmation (DC is usually free)

DKPerdue

G.L.P.
10-29-2011, 13:04
i think you should ship Pony Express .....

Dudorino
10-29-2011, 13:50

+1
Planning ahead on the part of the buyer is always wise and should nearly eliminate the need for rushed shipping.

gunner76
10-30-2011, 14:14
I use a Dymo Turbo 450 http://www.labelwriter.com/ for my businesses it allows me to print address labels and postage from the same printer. Search places like Newegg and you can often find it for much less that what the manufacture sells it for.

On Priority mail, I go direct to the Post Office online site to do my Priority Mail labels as the Post Office will discount Priority mail label costs if you do it on line and you can request the Post Office to pick up the package at no extra cost.

If you need Priority mail boxes, set up an account with the Post Office, order the boxes on line and they will deliver them to your door for free.

Most of my shipping is First Class, small packages under 12oz and Priority Mail. I rarley ship parcel post any more.

My 2 cents worth