PDA

View Full Version : Some DIY Stuff

blackbishop351
01-05-2007, 02:51
Here's the results of a couple of projects I've worked on the last few days:

Problem 1: I got a new, pretty light, slim-line camera for Xmas. Naturally, it would lend itself well to hiking, but I didn't have a good way to keep it dry and padded.

Solution: I made a small silnylon stuff sack for the camera, then lined it with fleece. Weighs in at 0.3 oz. Not bad!

Problem 2: I find I need a pillow in a hammock. Call me a wuss, but it just seems like cutting off my own nose to get that comfortable and then stop just short of the finish line :D I've tried clothing and such, but it's hard to keep it where you want it if it's loose. Plus, I don't always have much clothing with me, especially in warm weather.

Solution: I got the idea from something Thermarest makes. I made a large (flat - no end piece) silnylon stuff sack, then added a piece of fleece to half of the inside. I can put clothes in it and not have them move. I can put a bladder (with or without water) in. Plus, I've got more waterproof storage for the trail. Overall dimensions are 18.5" long by 12" wide. Weighs only 1.9 oz.

Pics:

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=316&catid=member&imageuser=7
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=317&c=member&imageuser=7

Problem 3: Last weekend when I went to Uwharrie NF with Slowhike, I took my Marmot 15* bag with me as an overquilt. Three issues there - way too bulky (packed AND open), heavier than I'd like, and more insulation than I need for moderate temps (down to about 40*).

Solution: After reading Hammock Engineer's DIY instructions for cutting down a sleeping bag, I started looking at this old Slumberjack bag I've had since I was about 10. It's always been a good mid-temp bag (I don't remember the rating), but way too heavy and bulky to pack with. So, I started cutting.

I removed the zipper and hood part (it was a "partial mummy" bag), then trimmed for width. I made the head end ~ 50" wide, tapered to 40" at the waist (I'm kinda skinny), then cut a curve at the foot. I sewed the footbox back up about 15" toward the head.

I've slept under it two nights now, both with low temps just below 50*. I was plenty toasty, and I'm pretty sure I could get down to around 40* with it, maybe lower. It weighs in at 39.2 oz. - not great, but considering that I trimmed 33.3 oz. off of it, not bad. At 2.5 lbs., it's close to a pound lighter than my Marmot and packs a LOT smaller.

Pics:

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=313&c=member&imageuser=7
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=314&c=member&imageuser=7
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=315&c=member&imageuser=7

I also made a set of snakeskins for my BlackCat. Whole thing - tarp, skins, tie-out cords, and yes, A FIGURE 9 GIZMO - weighs 17.7 oz.

If you haven't guessed by now, I made a kinda "bulk trip" to the post office scale. One last thing - I weighed my Just Jeff All In One too - came to 4.4 oz., including two Walmart micro 'biners and a mesh stuff sack.

Just trying to keep busy! :D

Coffee
01-05-2007, 03:07
Nice pics and reasoning. I'm glad I am not the only one here who does not sleep nights and fills the time with sewing.

I just finished a stuff sack back pack using Hammock Hangers idea from a WB thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20178). Weighs in at 1.3 oz for a stuff sack that is 19"x15" with shoulder straps and draw string closure. After looking at your stuff sack with fleece for a pillow, I think I may have to add a piece of fleece to the inside.

What do you have on the horizon? I have a zipper coming next week for a bug bivy for the hammock, another set of sil and netting snake skins, and a gaiter mod.

blackbishop351
01-05-2007, 03:32
I found out that sewing fleece is NOT terribly easy. Especially when it's sitting on top of a nice, slippery piece of sil :( The thread and feed dogs tend to stretch the fleece a LOT if you're not really careful.

A couple of tips from my experience - Reducing the top thread tension helps. Biggest suggestion is to use lots and LOTS of pins. I pin almost everything I sew, but I think it may be a necessity here, even for the more experienced seam(sters?). I had to pin about every 1.5" to keep the fleece from stretching. I also ended up using a zigzag stich. The straight stitch tended to pull the fleece more, for some reason.

Next on the agenda? Let's see...

I'm still working out the design details on a gearskin-on-a-frame. Definitely going to try to get that done before the Mt. Rogers trip.

I think I'll make a HH top cover like Headchange's too. And probably a hammock sock via Jeff's instructions. If I have both, I'll have the option of bringing either (or both) hammock(s) at the end of the month.

I'm working on a size/shape for a kitchen bag too. I've given up on including my freezer bag cozy in this kit - it's a weird shape but it works really well and I don't want to change it. I'm trying to figure out the best design for a bag to basically hold several (5?) days' worth of food plus my Snow Creek 700 pot, which has small fuel canister and stove inside.

I'm also playing with a Packa-style poncho design. I don't know if I'd like being as enclosed as a Packa. I like the regular poncho shape because I can do stuff under it - including remove my pack without getting wet. It doesn't look like the Packa has enough room inside for that, but maybe I'm wrong. Anyway, I've been playing with several ideas on this. I'll post something when I get more concrete with it. Probably won't be done before Mt. Rogers.

So what have you got on the back burner?

Coffee
01-05-2007, 03:42
I am thinking for a back burner (hopefully the first couple weeks in Feb.) will be a second hammock, hammock sock, and bug protection. I want to have back-ups for my homemade gear I am using for my hike with my parents in case I need to replace anything during my thru.

After that I'm not sure. I think my hike may get in the way of my DIY habbit for a while. But when I get back I will have 6 months worth of projects thought out and ready to make.

blackbishop351
01-05-2007, 03:51
I'm so jealous...it'll be at least 4-5 years before I can do a thru.

You'll definitely have lots of ideas when you get back. While I like sitting around the house and thinking stuff up - and getting ideas from you guys - I find that the best ideas I get come from actually being out in the woods.

Just Jeff
01-05-2007, 08:31
bb - I can remove my pack with the Packa on. If I undo the pit zips, it feels almost as roomy as a poncho but doesn't flap around as much...I can even undo the pit zips and stick my arms out w/o removing it. Guess it depends on how big your pack is, though.

When I sewed my PeaPod hood, I just flipped it over so the DWR was against the feed dogs, and the foot doesn't stretch the fleece.

For the food bag, why not just put an extra layer of sil on the outside, sized just big enough for your cozy.

Can't wait to see all of these projects. I'm thinking about the HH top cover, too - would be good if you're unsure of the weather...maintain the HH bug protection and still get the warmth retention. As long as I can pull the hammock open enough to see out at night.

The Breeze
01-05-2007, 08:34
I found out that sewing fleece is NOT terribly easy. Especially when it's sitting on top of a nice, slippery piece of sil :( The thread and feed dogs tend to stretch the fleece a LOT if you're not really careful.

A couple of tips from my experience - Reducing the top thread tension helps. Biggest suggestion is to use lots and LOTS of pins. I pin almost everything I sew, but I think it may be a necessity here, even for the more experienced seam(sters?). I had to pin about every 1.5" to keep the fleece from stretching. I also ended up using a zigzag stich. The straight stitch tended to pull the fleece more, for some reason.

Next on the agenda? Let's see...

I'm still working out the design details on a gearskin-on-a-frame. Definitely going to try to get that done before the Mt. Rogers trip.

I think I'll make a HH top cover like Headchange's too. And probably a hammock sock via Jeff's instructions. If I have both, I'll have the option of bringing either (or both) hammock(s) at the end of the month.

I'm working on a size/shape for a kitchen bag too. I've given up on including my freezer bag cozy in this kit - it's a weird shape but it works really well and I don't want to change it. I'm trying to figure out the best design for a bag to basically hold several (5?) days' worth of food plus my Snow Creek 700 pot, which has small fuel canister and stove inside.

I'm also playing with a Packa-style poncho design. I don't know if I'd like being as enclosed as a Packa. I like the regular poncho shape because I can do stuff under it - including remove my pack without getting wet. It doesn't look like the Packa has enough room inside for that, but maybe I'm wrong. Anyway, I've been playing with several ideas on this. I'll post something when I get more concrete with it. Probably won't be done before Mt. Rogers.

So what have you got on the back burner?

If you use wax paper when you sew fleece on top then peel it off it want slide maybe this will help plus you can use it on coated sticky stuff later

Just Jeff
01-05-2007, 08:37
Good idea. I bet newspaper would work, too.

Patrick
01-05-2007, 12:01
I've been kicking around the fleece lining idea lately. This winter, I was using my fleece jacket I sometimes had with me and it was nicer. Does it get gross, though?

blackbishop351
01-05-2007, 12:08
Probably, but you can wash it like the rest of your clothes, I would imagine...it's synthetic so it should dry pretty quickly.

Just Jeff
01-05-2007, 14:54
I've been thinking about a fleece-lined hammock. Fleece is more comfortable than DWR and it doesn't compress quite as much as Primaloft or similar insulations...so maybe it would be nice and comfy to around 55F or so. I know it would be bulkier and heavier than other ideas, but it's also more comfortable, and my pack weight/bulk is at the level where I wouldn't mind the change. And I would only sew down the long edges, about 7' worth, rather than making the fleece run the entire 9-10' of the hammock. I'd probably have to shape it a bit at the head and foot ends to take out some of the slack.

Probably not something I'd do for a longer hike, but for the 2-4 day trips I usually take it would be good for late spring or early fall. Fleece is nice and snuggly!

Just a thought I've been kicking around...

blackbishop351
01-05-2007, 15:02
I dunno, man...that fleece sleeping bag I got weighed around 1.5 lbs...and to really do a comfy job on a hammock, you'd have to use most of that I think. Little heavy for me, but then again, I'm nowhere near as light as you yet - I'm still on the downward slope! Maybe one day I'll be cool enough to think about ADDING weight...:D

Just Jeff
01-05-2007, 16:18
Yeah - it's a process. Once I realized I CAN get to an ~8lbs base using basically what I already have, I started loooking at what I'm willing to carry for comfort. If I can stay around 15 lbs base, I don't mind a few extra ounces of fleece, or two ounces for a more convenient support setup, etc. And the fleece would be instead of the insulated hammock or underquilt anyway, so the weight would probably be a wash. Except the fleece hammock wouldn't keep me as warm as the others, but I don't need that capability on every trip.

Or maybe I'll just use it around the house. Probably a bit of both, actually... :D

hangnout
01-05-2007, 17:01
This is funny because last night I ordered some fleece from Malden Mills to try exactly what you described. I was going to do a double layer of fleece 6 foot long. I guess it would need some shaping to keep from bunching up. I think I will sew it in on the long edges then shape it after I try it. I am making this hammock to "car camp" on some property I have on the Cumberland Plateau so weight is not a huge factor. I planned on leaving the material full width and seeing if it would wrap around a little bit. I ordered 300 wt so we will see if this thing is a brick or not! I know I won't use this one hiking.

Frolicking Dino
01-05-2007, 22:38
I notice you guys are sewing fleece and having problems with the stretching.... first, zigzag stitches work better as BB has already discovered. Second, wax paper placed between the feeder teeth and the fleece will prevent puckering (just rip it out when done. For really large projects, strips of temporary interfacing (a stick on - wash out product) will control the stretch while you sew.

hangnout
01-05-2007, 23:18
I have not got to the sewing part yet for the fleece so you probably saved me some frustration with these tips. The bunching up I was talking about was at the foot and head ends where the hammock starts tapering in if I used a full width piece of fleece. Thanks again for the advice!

Coffee
01-06-2007, 00:18
Could you make a hammock with the center 6' or so you lay on as fleece, then add a foot or so of normal ripstop to the ends to get the 8' length of most hammocks?

Or would the stress on the seams be too much?

hangnout
01-06-2007, 00:28
I have thought about that as a second layer made slightly bigger to eliminate the stress. I am leaning toward doing that on the head end and leaving the foot end open. The bunching up on the foot end should not be a problem and I could slide a pad in from the foot end if the temps dropped.

blackbishop351
01-06-2007, 07:20
Could you make a hammock with the center 6' or so you lay on as fleece, then add a foot or so of normal ripstop to the ends to get the 8' length of most hammocks?

Or would the stress on the seams be too much?

I think seams like that would compromise a hammock no matter what the material, but I'd never even dream of trying to get fleece to take a load. It's not a strong fabric and it stretches way too much.

I have thought about that as a second layer made slightly bigger to eliminate the stress.

I don't think you should need to make the fleece layer bigger; it's got so much stretch that I don't think it'd stress anything overly much if you shifted around or whatever. JMHO.

Coffee
01-09-2007, 01:38
I had the day off today. The result was 2 fleece pillows, one hammock, and one stuff sack with shoulder straps. I got a set of sil snake skins done a couple days ago.

On the fleece pillow, I used the fleece as the top and noseeum netting as the back. I figured I already had all the stuff sacks I needed and the netting should make washing and drying it in the laundry easier. The best part is I choose a checker board pattern from Walmart. So now I also have a checker/chess board if I want. Got to love the dual use. Plus the final weight is about 1.3 oz.

I just got the zipper in for my bugnetting today. That is going to take some time to make the bug bivy. Plus this is my first zipper project. After that a set of noseeum skins for the tarp, a couple of noseeum pockets for my ridgeline, a small stuff sack for my stove, and hopefully a tarp. Then I should be good to hike.

Just had to share my excitement with people that would understand.

chezrad
01-09-2007, 05:22
OK I'm missing something here. "No-see-um" skins for the tarp? What's the benefit/advantage? Or do you have the material and need to do something with it prior to sewing the bug net?

Oh, I love the idea of the checkerboard fleece!

The Breeze
01-09-2007, 09:49
sound's like a man on a mission .or a mad man and a passion or just a man and a machine wanting to diy heheehhe:D good luck let us know haw it turns out.

headchange4u
01-09-2007, 10:56
Some of my DIY gear in the last month or so:

14 stuff sacks (in one day. from silnylon scraps). Still seam sealing them.;)
12' long 10' wide hex, cat cut silnylon tarp (pics coming)
Tyvek bottom weathersheild for HH (finished last night. Pics coming)
Ripstop HH top cover
1 set of X-large, X-long snake skins (for neo and his Tom Claytor Jungle Hammock). DWR Nylon
1 set of X-Large diameter, shortened snake skins to hold underquilts
Buckle system for HH
Couple of sets of straps.
Jeff's All-In-One (My second)
Hemmed some hiking pants I got for Christmas

I'm probably missing something, but you get the idea. Although it's not gear, I've hemmed about 6 pair of my wifes pants and she is talking to me about curtains. I told her I would only sew manly stuff so unless the curtains will have pictures naked women I would have to pass.:eek: :D

Coffee
01-09-2007, 13:17
OK I'm missing something here. "No-see-um" skins for the tarp? What's the benefit/advantage? Or do you have the material and need to do something with it prior to sewing the bug net?

Oh, I love the idea of the checkerboard fleece!

The mesh allows the tarp to dry without getting the tarp out of the skins. This way if it is wet it will dry in my pack (gearskin on its way), or I can get it out and air it out on a break without sitting it up.

Coffee
01-09-2007, 13:21
sound's like a man on a mission .or a mad man and a passion or just a man and a machine wanting to diy heheehhe:D good luck let us know haw it turns out.

It's adicting. My goal is to have most of my sewing done this month. Then next month I can tie up any loose ends before I leave in March.

I ordered 80' of webbing for my 2 hammocks from Ed Speer yesturday. I told him it was for 2 homemade hammocks, but he still probibly thought it was a little strange.

slowhike
01-09-2007, 20:52
The mesh allows the tarp to dry without getting the tarp out of the skins. This way if it is wet it will dry in my pack (gearskin on its way), or I can get it out and air it out on a break without sitting it up.

jeff... do you remember where the bug net snake skin idea came from?

Just Jeff
01-09-2007, 21:31
No - I made mine so long ago that I don't remember if it was my idea or someone else's. For some reason I think I saw it on the Yahoo group but I'm not sure.

They work ok for letting the tarp air out a bit. The tarp itself is waterproof so some of the water stays in the wrinkles, but the skins also don't trap the water inside like silnylon skins do. Silnylon skins stay wet inside even after you've hung the tarp to dry unless you turn them inside out.

I like sil skins for my hammock/underquilt (even though I'm using the blackbishop sack right now), but when I use skins on the tarp I like mesh. Just personal preference.

Coffee
01-09-2007, 22:38
No - I made mine so long ago that I don't remember if it was my idea or someone else's. For some reason I think I saw it on the Yahoo group but I'm not sure.

I got the idea from your site.

Coffee
01-09-2007, 22:40
Some of my DIY gear in the last month or so:

14 stuff sacks (in one day. from silnylon scraps). Still seam sealing them.;)
12' long 10' wide hex, cat cut silnylon tarp (pics coming)
Tyvek bottom weathersheild for HH (finished last night. Pics coming)
Ripstop HH top cover
1 set of X-large, X-long snake skins (for neo and his Tom Claytor Jungle Hammock). DWR Nylon
1 set of X-Large diameter, shortened snake skins to hold underquilts
Buckle system for HH
Couple of sets of straps.
Jeff's All-In-One (My second)
Hemmed some hiking pants I got for Christmas

I'm probably missing something, but you get the idea. Although it's not gear, I've hemmed about 6 pair of my wifes pants and she is talking to me about curtains. I told her I would only sew manly stuff so unless the curtains will have pictures naked women I would have to pass.:eek: :D

I got the idea at work today. When we get 'done' with our DIY projects, there needs to be a thread were everyone posts a pic showing all of the DIY gear together. Should be some interesting pics.

The Breeze
01-09-2007, 23:31
lots of stufffff sacs that is you got there :D working on my under quilt right now then going to hang for the night .:p

slowhike
01-10-2007, 00:12
well i don't usually like to toot my own horn, but i guess i will this time.
i thought about the mesh snake skins not to long after i got into hammocking.
i first shared the idea w/ tom henesy at trail days in spring of 05.
that's the 1st time i met ed too.
tom liked the idea enough that he asked me to give my name & a brief description of the mesh snake skins on his recorder so that if he did any thing w/ it he could give me credit.
but i guess he didn't go w/it<g>.
shortly after that, i shared the idea on the hammockcamping yahoo group.

blackbishop351
01-11-2007, 13:31
A bit off the subject of hammocks, but pertaining to the Rogers trip...

Has anybody made their own insulated clothing? I need some lightweight warmth for the trip this month and I don't want to shell out huge bucks to get it (if I can help it).

I was looking at the Thru-Hiker jacket and vest kits. They look kinda promising, especially for someone who's never made clothing before. They come with complete materials and plans. Any thoughts?

Just Jeff
01-11-2007, 19:24
I've heard great things about AYCE's kits, and I was gonna get his insulated pants pattern when I got settled here. He hasn't turned it into a kit yet but says the pattern is ready. Guess that's on hold 'til I get back.

Coffee
01-11-2007, 19:32
Not on either subject, I just wanted to vent about my first zipper project. It is going to turn out, but is a pain getting there.

Word to the wise. If you get a continuous zipper where you buy it by the foot, buy all the pieces, then put them together yourself; put the zipper pull on the zipper body BEFORE you sew any of it on. This is very important here. If not you will be forced to pull out some of the steches at the closed end.

I'm not going to say how I know, I just know.:mad: :mad:

Bird Dog
01-11-2007, 23:01
Not on either subject, I just wanted to vent about my first zipper project. It is going to turn out, but is a pain getting there.

Word to the wise. If you get a continuous zipper where you buy it by the foot, buy all the pieces, then put them together yourself; put the zipper pull on the zipper body BEFORE you sew any of it on. This is very important here. If not you will be forced to pull out some of the steches at the closed end.

I'm not going to say how I know, I just know.:mad: :mad:

A girl with a frikkin laser on her head told me that once. BD

Coffee
01-12-2007, 02:27
A girl with a frikkin laser on her head told me that once. BD

If you see her again, give here my number.:D

BTW. I am 99% done with my bug bizy and am really happy with the way it is turning out. I'll post pics tomorrow.

blackbishop351
01-12-2007, 02:29
So my latest project has been making a gearskin-type pack. It's just about done, so I thought I'd post some pics.

I made a 'standard' gearskin body - two layers of nylon (1.1 oz. DWR outer, 1.9 oz. untreated inner), four straps each side and two on top. The difference is that rather than try and build my own suspension (that seemed WAY out of my league) or buy one (they're pretty expensive from what I can tell), I used the hip belt/lumbar pad/vented backpanel assembly from a Gregory Z-pack I bought a while ago. I also used the pads out of the shoulder straps because they were really light and pretty comfortable.

I took the pack on one trip and it didn't fit properly and ended up KILLING my shoulders. I got it home and started thinking about how to modify it to make it work for me, but eventually decided that there were only a couple of parts I actually liked. So I stripped everything off of it, saving only the stuff mentioned above.

The demolition of the old pack's been done for a while - I just haven't had time to make the rest until this week. So not counting the demo work, it's taken me about 3 decent days to make this. Man, I really hope it's as durable as it looks, 'cause I don't want to have to do that again any time soon!

Anyway, I obviously haven't field tested it yet, but I loaded about 3 setups' worth of gear (only one load of water - about 3 liters) in it and walked around the neighborhood. I didn't weigh it, but I know it's WAY more than I'd ever carry on the trail, even in winter. It carried like a DREAM. Here's some pics:

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=318&c=4
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=319&c=4

If the TR looks a little "poofy", it's because I found out tonight that it's got a leak! :mad: Anybody know how to locate a leak on a wide/long 2" thick TR??

The backpanel insures that I get nice vertical stability even when I'm not carrying a pad. And nothing can poke me in the back. It's also really comfortable and cool - one thing I liked about it to begin with.

I rigged the straps specifically to get the utility Sgt. Rock mentions on his site, i.e. being able to cross the straps across the whole pack in order to take really small loads. That works well too, so far:

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=320&c=4
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=321&c=4

Here, I've got a fleece, my new birthday Jetboil (I love my wife!!!), my freezer bag cozy with a meal in it, my poncho, and a 2-liter Platy.

Anyway. Just thought I'd share. I'll be taking it on a couple of day hikes (with a decent amount of gear) soon, but I won't get to do an actual trail test until Mt. Rogers. Assuming it continues to hold up and work well on my day hikes, I'll definitely be using it then.

Coffee
01-12-2007, 02:54
BB, nice pics. I can't weight until my gearskin comes.

On a side bar I like all the hammock talk on this webiste. But I am really starting to like all of the DIY gear I see on this site.

blackbishop351
01-12-2007, 03:00
Yeah, me too. There's so much traffic on WB that it's hard to pick out the DIY stuff you want to see....and the Yahoo group format doesn't lend itself well to pics and instructions.

I've still got a few details to finish on it, but I'm loving it so far. Now I've just got to figure out how to pack it! :p I've just stuffed everything into sacks like 'normal' up 'till now, but that's not taking full advantage of the design. I'll have to play with it some more.

headchange4u
01-12-2007, 08:33
BB,

Any easy way to find air leaks is to use soapy water and a brush. Blow the pad up and then start painting on the soapy water solution. It will start to bubble when you put it on an air leak.

blackbishop351
01-12-2007, 08:40
Yeah....leaky tire method...there's just a lot of real estate to cover on that thing :(

Just Jeff
01-12-2007, 08:56
Fold it in half and put it in the bathtub. Look for the bubbles. It might take a while...

blackbishop351
01-12-2007, 09:01
Hey that's an idea...might be quicker than spraying it.

Perkolady
01-12-2007, 09:09
BB,
Great job on your pack ! :cool:
I really like the color, and how you recycled - great idea!

I hope I get to see it at Mt Rogers. :)

Perkolady

Just Jeff
01-12-2007, 09:12
Maybe. The tricky thing is that some small bubbles will stick to the pad when you first put it under, and if it's a really small leak it'll only create small bubbles. So it can still take a while depending on the leak.

I'd be leery of using an inflatable on a gearskin like that just because of leaks. A poke to CCF isn't a big deal but a poke to an inflatable might mean an uncomfortable night. Maybe you could fold it in half lengthwise, then put it inside your gearskin...that would keep it from sticking out so far on the sides but still give you a good taco for your other gear.

blackbishop351
01-12-2007, 09:16
Maybe. The tricky thing is that some small bubbles will stick to the pad when you first put it under, and if it's a really small leak it'll only create small bubbles. So it can still take a while depending on the leak.

Good point. I guess I'll just have to give it a shot.

I'd be leery of using an inflatable on a gearskin like that just because of leaks. A poke to CCF isn't a big deal but a poke to an inflatable might mean an uncomfortable night. Maybe you could fold it in half lengthwise, then put it inside your gearskin...that would keep it from sticking out so far on the sides but still give you a good taco for your other gear.

Yeah I have the same concern. On the other hand, I've been carrying my 3/4 length TR on the outside of my pack for YEARS and never poked a hole in it. I'm not sure what happened with the big one, but I suspect cats might be involved... :mad:

With an underquilt, I may not need that much insulation so I may just end up bringing my small one anyway. It's 5" narrower so it doesn't leave as much exposed. The big one would have packed better too, but by the time I got everything buckled it was near fully inflated :p

blackbishop351
01-12-2007, 17:41
Yet another project...

I just finished a HH overcover, inspired by Headchange's design. I think it might've ended up a bit too big, but that's OK. Just gives me more coverage if I need it.

I used the same 1.9 oz. ripstop from Walmart that I've used for a lot of stuff, including my Speer-type hammock. It's got some kind of water resistant coating on it, but doesn't repel as well as full DWR does.

At first I just cut, hemmed, and added shock cord to the perimeter. When I mounted it to my HH though, it wasn't as snug as I wanted. Maybe because I got it too big - I dunno.

My solution was to add some cross-cords. I added 1/2" grosgrain loops to the midpoint of each side. Then I put a short piece of shock cord on each end, between the appropriate loops. I tied the cord on one end and used a cordlock/toggle to secure the other end. This way, I can adjust the tension for more or less ventilation. It also lets me move the foot-end cord out of the way for easier entry/exit.

I think it's going to work great. It's up to 55* here right now, but windy, and I could definitely tell the difference in temps inside. I really need to get a thermometer! :p

As far as adjustments, the cross-cords work great to really snug the cover down. Assuming I can use it this way (Jeff's hammock sock tests are encouraging), it'll be really nice and warm. I can also loosen or detach the cross-cords and then tighten the perimeter cord. This pulls the long sides of the cover higher, giving me as much or as little cross-ventilation as I want.

All in all, looks like a good piece of gear. I'll have to weigh it (yet another trip to the post office), but it's not heavy at all. A few ounces would be my guess. It also fits in my stuff sack with my HH, but just barely - this 1.9 oz. stuff is light, but kinda bulky. Oh well...I needed to make some more stuffsacks anyway!

I posted some pics in the homemade gear gallery.

headchange4u
01-12-2007, 18:00
Glad to hear you finished your top cover. I can't wait to see pics. Mine is pretty big also and when I tighten it down it curls under the hammock a couple of inches. I like this fact because it really cuts down on the spots for wind to sneak in. I'm glad you confirmed that it makes a pretty noticable difference inside the hammock.

I also added cord locks (see pic) on the bungie cord at the head and side tie-outs. The head allows me to adjust overall tension on the cover and with the locks on the side tie-outs you can adjust each drawstring channel to get a better fit. I used a wire tie as a cord lock stopper. It takes me a few minutes to get everything adjusted the way I want.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/headchange4u/cordlocks002.jpg

EDIT:

I frikkin' love how you put the cover inside the stuff sack to store it! :eek: :D

Coffee
01-13-2007, 00:43
I'll have to weigh it (yet another trip to the post office), but it's not heavy at all. A few ounces would be my guess.

Look at postal scales on ebay. I got one that weighs up to 35 lbs with .1 oz precision. I havened tested it against anything of a known weight, so I can not speak to it's accuracy. But it seams right. I think I paid around $20 with shipping. It gets lots of use right now.

Just Jeff
01-13-2007, 07:56
I got mine at Walmart. I think it was about $15 and it's good to 2 g or 1/8 oz. Haven't checked the accuracy but it seems right.

The Breeze
01-13-2007, 09:05
my Climashield XP want be here till tuesday for my under quilt but then we will see how low will she go .:cool:

blackbishop351
01-13-2007, 09:31
I finished up and weighed my new pack last night - 23.7 oz., just under a pound and a half. Not bad! I actually thought it would turn out heavier than that. It may end up being lighter yet - I made all the male-end straps a good bit longer than they probably need to be. I'll get some trail time in before I trim them though - that way I can make sure they remain long enough for the system flexibility I want.

The Breeze
01-13-2007, 09:45
ya thats a gooododood looking pack need to get with you on that tarp program going to make me one like yours!!!!!!!!!! no copy right yeha :rolleyes:

Coffee
01-13-2007, 11:56
That's pretty good. Jonathon from gearskin told me that my gearskin would weigh close to 20 oz.

blackbishop351
01-13-2007, 12:44
Yeah I was surprised like I said. I figured using the backpanel would add a lot more weight than that; it's pretty nice and padded. Of course, I think the hip belt that's attached to it is a bit skimpier than the one Moonbow uses, and I'm positive the shoulder straps are. I didn't need much for shoulder straps because I made the thing extra-tall so the straps won't take much (hopefully NO) load.

The Breeze
01-13-2007, 15:19
let me know might have to make me one of those . great looking pack.

The Breeze
01-13-2007, 19:46
Just finshed my hammonk cover works good but with my weight I have a little crack showing about 1/4 inch 6 mm what ever but good vent I guess. here a few pics.will the kickass under quilt come up on the sides any to help cover this crack?

headchange4u
01-13-2007, 20:44
Looks great The Breeze. Nice sewing skills. You could add a drawstring channel around the edge to help get rid of the gap or you could add a cord that goes under the hammock like blackbishop did. Is that a vent hole in the top?

The Breeze
01-13-2007, 21:09
ya thats a vent hole in the top right at my face. just incase it starts to vapor up. plus the one on h and h site had the same hole. I really didnt want to add shok cord because of the weight but I didn't add for sag with me in it .:mad:so I may have to or sew velco tabs on the hand h :confused: think think here we go again:eek:

The Breeze
01-13-2007, 23:35
put the 3in sil shock cord around the edge so that fixed the gap and it looks alot better tan digel breakup :rolleyes: my faverite thanks for all the help!!!:D

Perkolady
01-14-2007, 17:22
Looks good ! :cool:

Congrats !
Perkolady

The Breeze
01-14-2007, 19:09
thanks couldn't have done it with out this forum and you all.

blackbishop351
01-14-2007, 23:41
Went for a 5 mile hike in town today - there's some nice trails in a park here. Loaded up my homemade gearskin with my winter setup (as it stands right now), including both of my hammocks and tarps. I threw in a bunch of extra stuff too, just to fully test the pack. There's a bit of a learning curve on packing the thing, but I'm getting better at it. Give it a few more times and I'll have it down to a science.

Anyway, the test was very successful. I got no pain in my shoulders with the high shoulder straps, and the hip belt (although pretty minimal) was plenty comfortable. I thought I might need to add load stabilizers to the hip belt, but the load was plenty stable - even as big as it was. The amazing part is, this thing still has plenty of room for even MORE gear! I might could fit my whole house in there...

So, it carried way more weight and bulk than I should ever need, and did it like a champ. I'm thrilled at finally finding a setup that's light, flexible, and doesn't HURT!!

I posted some pics with the pack on, too.

As a side note, my wife came with me. She likes to hike, so I suckered her out there with the promise of a nice walk, then hit her with "want to try out this hammock? They're really comfy..." I think I might have her hooked...have to wait and see, but she loved my homemade hammock. I may be able to convince her to try camping - or even backpacking :eek: - when it gets warmer!

Perkolady
01-14-2007, 23:49
As a side note, my wife came with me. She likes to hike, so I suckered her out there with the promise of a nice walk, then hit her with "want to try out this hammock? They're really comfy..." I think I might have her hooked...have to wait and see, but she loved my homemade hammock. I may be able to convince her to try camping - or even backpacking :eek: - when it gets warmer!

Very good news, BB !!

Sounds like you may need to oil up that sewing machine (hopefully) :)

Perkolady

Coffee
01-15-2007, 00:22
Nice pics. Man that is a lot of gear. I can't wait until my gearskin comes. I might have to hit you up for packing advice.

Question. Are you planning on using a pack cover with that, or just a pack liner? I still have not decided about which direction to go in with the gearskin.

blackbishop351
01-15-2007, 02:19
Everything I pack is going to be (when I get around to it) packed in sil stuff sacks anyway, so I'll just stick with a pack cover. The outer layer of my pack is also DWR, which should help keep any dripping between my back and the pack from seeping through. I also use a poncho instead of a rain jacket, which gives me even more protection. All in all, I really don't see anything getting wet. Maybe I'm just not paranoid enough :p I guess if I knew I'd be out in some seriously wet weather, I might use a liner too.

Coffee
01-15-2007, 03:05
I think I am just overly paranoid. Sometimes I think I need to be able to go for a swim with my pack on and be fine. Too much canoing with beverages I guess. :)

Coffee
01-15-2007, 03:07
I added pics to my gallery for my stuff sack backpack and my version of the fleece pillow stuff sack. My pillow has fleece from walmart on one side and noseeum on the back. Hopefully that will make it easier to wash. Updated bug bivy pics to come tomorrow.

blackbishop351
01-24-2007, 22:03
In the spirit of always posting DIY pics, I've put a couple up of my setup as it is right now: homemade Speer-type hammock, buckle suspension system, Kickass underquilt (thanks, Jeff!), and hammock sock (and...thanks again, Jeff!).