PDA

View Full Version : Ed Speer's Spring 22st Annual SEHHA June 6-8, 08

headchange4u
05-01-2008, 10:29
Youngblood stated in another thread that Ed's next SEHHA will be June 6-8.

Here's the usual info:
Join us for the 22st SEHHA (SouthEast Hammock Hangers Association) campout the weekend of June 6-8, 2008. It's FREE! (except for your $6/nite camping fee). This is an informal group event and everyone is welcome--veteran, novice or future hammockers. See, learn and share your knowledge with other hammock enthusiasts. This will be an easy overnight campout at a commercial campground in a beautiful mountain river setting near the Appalachian Trail in western North Carolina! Join me, Ed Speer, author of the Hammock Camping book and editor of the Hammock Camping Newsletters for this fun Spring campout. Previous trips were well attended and this is another chance for hammockers to show their stuff, share ideas, learn from others, and be a part of the 'new way'. Meet old friends and make new ones! Check out the newest hammock gear!

We will camp in the popular Hot Springs Campground approximately 45 minute drive northwest of Asheville, NC or 1.5 hours east of Knoxville, TN. The campground is located on the east side of the town of Hot Springs on Highway US 25/70 directly across from the Hot Springs Resort and Hot Tubs. The campground is situated on the French Broad River and our campsite (#413) is on the rivers' west bank. Road access to the campground is from Asheville, NC or Newport, TN on US 25/US 70. Trees are available for about 15 hammocks, so please bring hammock stands if you have them--we will also provide stands (contact us to reserve one). If you have folding camp chairs, bring them. Everyone will be responsible for his or her own transportation, gear, behavior, and camping fees ($15.00/dog, pay at gate; $6/person/nite, pay Ed at campsite). Camp central for the weekend will be the camp fire and large white canopy at site #413.

Show up anytime and leave anytime, but don't miss our free Saturday evening hot dog cookout! This is now a tradition at each hammock hangers campout--it's not to be missed! Otherwise, everyone will be responsible for his or her own meals.

Upon arrival, check in at the campground gate and ask for the 'hammock group'. Karen and I will be at the campsite Friday afternoon thru midday Sunday, so arrive anytime after 2 pm Friday. The Hot Springs area abounds with outdoor opportunities like hiking, canoeing, kayaking, river rafting, fishing, mountain biking, etc--you can easily combine the hammock campout with an outdoor trip. The Appalachian Trail passes thru town and only a few hundred feet from our campsite. The French Broad River adjacent to our campsite is a popular fishing and floating stream.

Find complete campground details at:

http://camp.nchotsprings.com/

Find driving directions at: http://nchotsprings.com/directions.html

Early Fall temperatures at this elevation can fluctuate wildly, so expect daytime temps of 50-80F and nighttime temps of 30-50F. Rain is possible so be prepared.

Signing up is not necessary, but letting us know will be appreciated-- [email protected]

Everyone Welcome! See ya at Hot Springs! …..Ed "Not To Worry" Speer

peanuts
05-01-2008, 10:33
it all depends....

Hooch
05-01-2008, 10:37
Didn't you forget the "I'm Not Sure Yet" option? :rolleyes: You know for those of us moving and all. :D

headchange4u
05-01-2008, 10:42
Didn't you forget the "I'm Not Sure Yet" option? :rolleyes: You know for those of us moving and all. :D

You can just vote when you make up your mind.:p ;) :D :D

Hooch
05-01-2008, 10:50
Ok, you forced my hand. There. Happy now? :D

RAW
05-01-2008, 11:24
It all depends on whether my out-of-town family will still be here that weekend.

If they're not, I'll be motorcycling my way back to Hot Springs. :D

Hooch
05-01-2008, 11:59
I'm planning on being there. It's the weekend after my move, but I should be able to swing it. Anyone for a day hike of <10 miles?

slowhike
05-01-2008, 14:35
i hope this one will work out for me<G>.
here's an additional note Karen posted on the yahoo group...

Hi all,
Ed will send out more details later, but here is the
basic info regarding the June SEHHA Campout in Hot
Springs. As always, it will be the second weekend in June
which is June 6-8. Unfortunately, this year it will
not coincide with the Bluff Mountain Music festival and
we were unable to change out dates to the following
weekend. ?Even without the music festival, there is
plenty to do in Hot Springs on a warm summer weekend. ?The
rafting is usually in full swing, wildflowers are in
bloom and wading in the river is always pleasant. You
can even celebrate National Trails day and go for a
hike! ?
More info is posted at:
http://www.speerhammocks.com/Assets/Articles/HotSpringsJun08.htm
Hope to see everyone in Hot Springs!

Karen

Speer Hammocks, Inc.

NCPatrick
05-01-2008, 14:36
I probably will not be able to make it back to Hot Springs so soon.

I've planned some hiking/camping trips with the kids on different weekends throughout the summer, and I think we'll need to be within a smaller radius of the house for most of them in order to be able to take more trips...

headchange4u
05-01-2008, 15:06
I can't get off that Friday but I'm gonna try and make it Saturday.

Hooch
05-01-2008, 15:19
I can't get off that Friday but I'm gonna try and make it Saturday.
Take a "mental health" day, it's good for ya. :D

headchange4u
05-01-2008, 15:24
It would take much more than a couple of days off to get my mental health back in line. :p

Hooch
05-01-2008, 15:31
It would take much more than a couple of days off to get my mental health back in line. :pCall it a step in the right direction. :rolleyes:

alex30808
05-01-2008, 19:14
I voted that I'd be there...but not sure until I hear from my supervisor...I would like to go though...anyone from Ga going?

Stumblefoot
05-16-2008, 18:48
I was looking forward to getting back with y'all but we are in the last week of school. Don't think that I can make it. Hope you have a great time.

Shadowmoss
05-16-2008, 19:56
I will be in Conroe, TX for work. So, once again I'll miss the hang-out. I'll probably miss the one in September also, as I'm scheduled to be in WA then.

Hooch
05-17-2008, 06:58
Doc and I will be hiking SOBO back in from Devil Fork Gap on the AT. We're starting Wednesday, 4 June. Anyone want to join us? :D

TattyBoBatty
05-20-2008, 08:21
My husband and I will be there!
And "Hi", as this is my first post as well. I've been lurking.

We're new to hammock camping and just got our gear, so this hangout will be the first time we'll have officially used our gear! Although, I'm trying to scope out places here at work I can try to hang it already and we plan on testing it out a few nights before the trip.

I digress...

Anyway, we will only be able to make it Friday night as we have already planned a hike with friends at Ceaser's Head/Jones Gap area.

I'm excited to see all this cool gear I've been drooling over lately and to meet some experienced hammock campers!

headchange4u
05-20-2008, 08:23
Welcome to the forum, TattyBoBatty. The SEHHA will be a great learning experience for you. Nothing like having all that hanging expertise in one spot.

Hooch
05-20-2008, 08:29
Welcome to HF, TattyBoBatty. Glad to have you with us. I'll be at Hot Springs as well, looking forward to meeting you and your hubby there.

thatscguy
05-20-2008, 15:06
i am the hubby. see you all there!

My husband and I will be there!
And "Hi", as this is my first post as well. I've been lurking.

We're new to hammock camping and just got our gear, so this hangout will be the first time we'll have officially used our gear! Although, I'm trying to scope out places here at work I can try to hang it already and we plan on testing it out a few nights before the trip.

I digress...

Anyway, we will only be able to make it Friday night as we have already planned a hike with friends at Ceaser's Head/Jones Gap area.

I'm excited to see all this cool gear I've been drooling over lately and to meet some experienced hammock campers!

T-BACK
05-30-2008, 06:45
It looks like I'm finally going to make it to a Hangout after all this time. I have managed to partner up (with a female hiker that my wife approves of, if you can believe that:eek:) for the AT section of my hike.
Since conditions are still a little dicey at the North end, we have decided to join you fellow hammock hangers for a weekend of fellowship at Hot Springs NC and then get a shuttle out for a week long shakedown hike before heading up to Maine. It will be strange to hike with someone after soloing for almost 2000 miles from Key West to Springer. I made my own decisions answering only to myself but the loneliness kind of got to me after a while. I think it will be a good change and we both seem very compatable and committed. Anywho, I was wondering if we could pay anyone to shuttle us from the campground to a point a weeks walk away (we were thinking Erwin but South would work too). I know that Miss Janet used to shuttle from there but I don't know if she does anymore. My friend will have a tent and I told her that she was welcome but to prepare for a little razzing.
It will be good to see you all once again. The last section of my hike to Springer was a really hard one for me mentally but I'm in better spirits now and am looking forward to seeing you all. So many new names here that I can't keep track of them all but I hope to meet some of you face to face. Good hiking!

DougTheElder
05-30-2008, 12:26
I enjoyed the Spring Hangout and had hoped to make this one, too, but, I have realized that it is the same weekend as the wedding of the son of a longtime family friend. DougTheYounger and MrsDougTheYounger are flying in from Portland to be in the wedding. I guess that's reason enough. Y'all have fun and say pleasant things about each other and especially about those who are not there. Pass my regards to Ed and Karen.

Crawldaddy
06-02-2008, 12:25
Looks like I will finally be able to hang with ya'll this Sat nite. I might be able to bring a newbie with me. I told him all the experts will be there and he could pick your brains.

RAW
06-02-2008, 13:03
Still hoping to make it, but . . . potential mediation date with our general contractor may throw a wrench in the works.

Hooch
06-04-2008, 16:10
I still want to go to Hot Springs this weekend, but can't justify the cost of gas. Anyone want to carpool with me and split the cost? PM or e-mail me if you're interested.

Lost
06-04-2008, 18:25
Was planning on coming, but family emergencies came up. We lost my father-in-law over the weekend. Unbelieveable, all of our children were able to get home which made it a lot more conforting to my husband.

Hope you all have a great time, and I'll see you all in the Fall!

NCPatrick
06-04-2008, 19:32
Lost, sorry to hear about your loss. Glad everyone could make it to help comfort each other during this difficult time.

slowhike
06-04-2008, 21:49
I'm sorry to hear that Lost. I pray for the comfort.

slowhike
06-04-2008, 21:55
It looks like I should be able to make it!!!
My mom's going to be taking therapy for a week or so & I'm planning to car pool part of the way w/ Hooch, so that will cut the fuel bill a little!

I hope all those that are still trying to make it will be able to.
It's always good to meet new faces. ...Tim

headchange4u
06-05-2008, 09:55
I just realized that this weekend is the hang out. I was going to try and make it Saturday but I ended having to work to cover a guy on vacation so I won't be able to make this one...again. I really wanted to be there.

RAW
06-05-2008, 10:02
Still hoping to make it, but . . . potential mediation date with our general contractor may throw a wrench in the works.

I'm out for this weekend.
Sorry I'll miss it. I was really looking forward to some hanging and hiking.

Touch of Grey
06-05-2008, 13:07
Sorry, I cannot attend this year. I thoroughly enjoyed myself last year at this event and have to admit that it will probably be a little nicer to be at the campgrounds without the crowd. I got there a day early and camped the night before closer to the railroad tracks. Bad mistake! However, the next two evening were nice because I was farther away and to some extent had gotten used to the noise in the middle of the night. That and the simple fact that every camp was filled with someone or something so the noise had to get thru all of the others before getting over to us by the river.

I am in my last weeks of classes and graduate next weekend here in Orlando, Florida and not a moment too soon. It's freakin' hot already and humidity is just ridiculous. Yeah for me! Back to Michigan at the end of the month with my degree in Hospitality and Restaurant Management to start my second career.

I hope everyone who goes enjoys themselves and that some instruments are brought along so that there are jam sessions like last year.

All the best to everyone! Marty - 'Touch of Grey'

slowhike
06-05-2008, 16:09
Sorry you won't make it to Hot Springs but glad to hear you've accomplished a worthy goal!
I hope it continues to go well for you. ...Tim

slowhike
06-05-2008, 16:11
HC4U & RAW, sorry to not have you guys there. Maybe this fall.

gridge
06-05-2008, 18:47
It looks like I'll be going to my first hangout this weekend! I'm new at this so I'll probably be asking lots of dumb questions. My wife, 8 y.o. grandson, and our small dog will be there as well, although they'll be sleeping in our VW van. We hope to leave tomorrow evening from High Point, NC. Not sure if we'll be there before dark...

I look forward to meeting y'all there.

Hooch
06-05-2008, 19:40
It looks like I'll be going to my first hangout this weekend! I'm new at this so I'll probably be asking lots of dumb questions. My wife, 8 y.o. grandson, and our small dog will be there as well, although they'll be sleeping in our VW van. We hope to leave tomorrow evening from High Point, NC. Not sure if we'll be there before dark...

Cool deal, looking foreward to meeting y'all there! Slowhike and I should be in by about 8 or so, hopefully. Anyone for a day hike Saturday? :D

slowhike
06-05-2008, 21:35

Great! Looking forward to meeting you all.
I believe it's going to be a warm weekend in the campground, but it should be several degrees cooler there than here<G>. ...Tim

fin
06-09-2008, 20:58
So how was the hang? Did anyone go to this?

headchange4u
06-09-2008, 21:02
I can't believe there hasn't been pics or anything else posted yet!:eek:

What's up people?:p

slowhike
06-09-2008, 21:06
Yep, it was good. Small group, but sometimes that makes for a really peaceful, laid back weekend.
Ed, Karen, Youngblood, Hooch, Tback & his hiking partner, Gridge w/ his wife, grandson & dog, & myself were there.

A little hotter than I really like during the day but it cooled off just enough to pull the quilt over me before morning.

slowhike
06-09-2008, 21:08
I can't believe there hasn't been pics or anything else posted yet!:eek:

What's up people?:p

Sorry, it was such a low profile weekend, i only took 3 or 4 pictures<G>.

T-BACK
06-12-2008, 06:39
I wanted to take a minute to thank everyone for the great weekend that Janette and I had with you. It was so good to see old friends again and to meet Gridge and his family.
We finished our shakedown hike. It went really well. J's knee did much better than I expected and Ed and Karen suggested that we hike into the Wilson Creek area. It was a good choice as we were visited by the fabled blue fireflys of that area. I can only say that it was an incredible experience. It rained on us twice but my new SH Winter tarp kept me bone dry. The "strap to rope" tie off that Youngblood showed me has worked flawlessly and and not a drop of water made it past the webbing toward my hammock. Thanks Dave! We are taking care of a few things locally and will be flying up North for our ME-GA hike on Saturday. I will keep in touch as I am able.

Coffee
06-12-2008, 07:32
I wanted to take a minute to thank everyone for the great weekend that Janette and I had with you. It was so good to see old friends again and to meet Gridge and his family.
We finished our shakedown hike. It went really well. J's knee did much better than I expected and Ed and Karen suggested that we hike into the Wilson Creek area. It was a good choice as we were visited by the fabled blue fireflys of that area. I can only say that it was an incredible experience. It rained on us twice but my new SH Winter tarp kept me bone dry. The "strap to rope" tie off that Youngblood showed me has worked flawlessly and and not a drop of water made it past the webbing toward my hammock. Thanks Dave! We are taking care of a few things locally and will be flying up North for our ME-GA hike on Saturday. I will keep in touch as I am able.

Enjoy your Southbound Hike. I still say it is the only way to go. Say hello to all the biting bugs for me.:D

headchange4u
06-12-2008, 07:57
We finished our shakedown hike. It went really well. J's knee did much better than I expected and Ed and Karen suggested that we hike into the Wilson Creek area. It was a good choice as we were visited by the fabled blue fireflys of that area. I can only say that it was an incredible experience.

Blue fireflys? I never heard of blue fireflys. I bet that was cool.

slowhike
06-12-2008, 14:43
Good to see you guys & glad to hear about the positive shake down hike.
Looking forward to hearing good reports from the trail.