PDA

View Full Version : HF members on trail

Lost
05-03-2008, 19:34
Just got back from Damascus. I had a great time this week with Nest and his friends. They left Deep Gap this morning heading toward Grayson Highlands.

Met Doctori and spent some time with him. He's having a great time and it was great to meet another HF member.

I had dinner with Shiloh early in the week (I can't keep the days straight!) He's making great time and is in great sprits.

I acually spent more time being Trail Mom than hiking, but that's what I was there for! We got Train Wreck and Pearl (new hammock converts) set up with straps and a second trap (thanks Hooch for helping get them going).

I don't know when I've ever seen Nest happier than he is right now. I enjoyed my time on the trail. My first time ever and did 7 miles the first day. I know that's not much, but hey, I'm proud!

Nest, Train Wreck and Pearl are going back to Damascus for Trail Days and spending a day working on the trail in exchange for a ride back up the trail. They are hoping to get the rest of their setup there - ridge line, rings/buckles, etc.

Just wanted to give you guys an update!

stoikurt
05-03-2008, 19:40
That's great Lost. Keep us posted. You're are link to keeping up with them since Nest and Cannibal aren't keeping their journals up. Speaking of Cannibal, where's he at?

Lost
05-03-2008, 19:48
I'm not sure where Hooch dropped him off after Hot Springs, but I think it was in Hampton, TN where I picked up/dropped off Nest and his friends.

They made it to Damascus on Tuesday morning. We were shuttled to Deep Gap and went back to Damascus to the car. We checked around before I dropped them back at Deep Gap but they hadn't signed in anywhere we went.

Hooch may be able to give us a better idea, because they may not have started from Hampton.

Nest gave me his SD card, so I will try to do some photo updates to his journal this week, then he will go in with the details. Internet access isn't the best.

slowhike
05-03-2008, 21:14
thanks for the report Lost! glad to hear about all those happy hammockers!

Lone Wolf
05-03-2008, 23:50
I live about a mile away from the AT in PA(Boiling Springs/Cumberland County Area). There is a stretch that runs parallel to my favorite creek. My son and I are planning a relaxation station off the Condiguinet Creek for his scout project. He wants to take some hammocks and coolers full of goodies for the thru hikers. Not sure exactly when he wants to do it, but I think it will be early June. If he gets it together, I will be sure to take some photos for the forum.

If any fellow hangers need assistance while your in my neck of the woods, let me know and I will do my best to help you out.

Ramblinrev
05-04-2008, 00:09
Trail magic is at the bottom of a whole lot of good stories. It can be great fun to feed those hikers. I'm was hooked on it after the first time I did it.

furtigan
05-25-2008, 12:20
Cannibal & Genuine Draft were going go to Hard Core (the work project) and then yellowblaze up to Pearisburg to catch Yazzie. However, they never actually showed up for the work. Cannibal's brother was in town and was going to drive them, but the directions sheet they were given was pretty confusing; so I'd assume they got lost, said "screw it" and went on to Pearisburg. Of course, they were in possession of a case and a half of Yuengling when last seen, so ...

Anyway, while in Damascus, Cannibal entered an eating contest, and he told me ya'll would get a kick out of the pics. I was going to start a new thread or put them in the gallery, but the forum wouldn't let me, so I'll post the link here and hope they get seen.

Trail Journals (http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=330080)

just keep clicking "next."

cavediver2
05-25-2008, 12:27
That's too funny

Lost
05-25-2008, 19:48
He probable hasn't eaten that much since his 3 AYCE meals at the lodge before hitting the approach trail!

Nest did work the Hard Core along with Pearl and TrainWreck. They are continuing to have a blast!

Shadowmoss
05-26-2008, 07:05
Where are Nest and crew? Shiloh called this weekend from Waynesboro, VA and asked where folks were and I didn't know. Shiloh is more concerned with miles lately. He did 130 miles last week. I'm thinking that Nest is having more fun at this point.

Hooch
05-26-2008, 07:07
Where are Nest and crew?
Nest, Pearl and Train Wreck were in Pearisburg on Friday.

Lost
05-26-2008, 12:36
Nest and crew left Piersburg on Friday. They are just soaking up the adventure, seeing and doing everything they can.

I read Shiloh's journal last night. He is really putting on the miles, but it does seem like he is enjoying himself. Have you gotten to meet up with him since GSMNP? Not sure if I read you were meeting him or planning to meet him.

Tell him we're all thinking about him and wishing him the best.

Coffee
05-26-2008, 19:14
Cannibal & Genuine Draft were going go to Hard Core (the work project) and then yellowblaze up to Pearisburg to catch Yazzie. However, they never actually showed up for the work. Cannibal's brother was in town and was going to drive them, but the directions sheet they were given was pretty confusing; so I'd assume they got lost, said "screw it" and went on to Pearisburg. Of course, they were in possession of a case and a half of Yuengling when last seen, so ...

Anyway, while in Damascus, Cannibal entered an eating contest, and he told me ya'll would get a kick out of the pics. I was going to start a new thread or put them in the gallery, but the forum wouldn't let me, so I'll post the link here and hope they get seen.

Trail Journals (http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=330080)

just keep clicking "next."

Funny story. The great thing about camping with a group of northbounders at trail days, was they gave me all the extra beverages since they couldn't pack them out. Currently sipping on one of the Yuengling now.:eek:

Hooch
05-26-2008, 19:21
Funny story. The great thing about camping with a group of northbounders at trail days, was they gave me all the extra beverages since they couldn't pack them out. Currently sipping on one of the Yuengling now.:eek:Does that count as a Yogi if you're not on the trail? :rolleyes::D

Lost
06-04-2008, 18:34
We lost my father-in-law this past weekend, so Nest hitched a ride to the Greyhound station in 'Roanoke and came in for the funeral. Both of our kids in the Army (daughter in DC, son in Killeen, TX) were also able to make it in. Very conforting having them all here.

Nest caught a ride with a co-worker of mine that was heading to Wytheville, VA today, and will try to catch rides back to Daleville area. it was great to have all three home at once, and made the circumstances more bearable.

Any word on Shiloh or Cannibal? Not sure where either of them are.

Cannibal
06-05-2008, 17:29

I'm in Waynesboro, I think Shiloh is in Maine by now; he's flyin!

Sorry about your loss Lost. :(

stoikurt
06-05-2008, 18:34
We lost my father-in-law this past weekend, so Nest hitched a ride to the Greyhound station in 'Roanoke and came in for the funeral. Both of our kids in the Army (daughter in DC, son in Killeen, TX) were also able to make it in. Very conforting having them all here.

Nest caught a ride with a co-worker of mine that was heading to Wytheville, VA today, and will try to catch rides back to Daleville area. it was great to have all three home at once, and made the circumstances more bearable.

Sorry to hear about your loss, Lost. I know it was a great comfort to have all your kids back home even considering the circumstances.

Lost
06-05-2008, 19:37
Thanks, everyone. It's been a tough week, but having the kids here, playing travel agent and taxi driver helped a lot.

Nest was able to hitch a ride from Wythsville this morning and should be in Glasgow tonight. So Cannibal, get things ready for that aqua blaze since you're already in Waynesboro. That is going to be a blast!

Sorry to hear that Genuine Draft had to come off the trail. I got a message from her when I finally got on line yesterday.

Have fun and keep us posted as we cyber hike with you!

peanuts
06-05-2008, 20:00
cannibal sorry to hear ab[/B[B]]out genuine draft i hope she's okay...
lost, my condolences to you and your family.

Lost
06-05-2008, 21:13
Thanks, Peanuts, I appreciate it. It's wonderful that he lived to 92 years of age and planted and maintained his garden this time last year! He will be missed.

Cannibal
06-06-2008, 12:31
Genuine Draft if fine, but really misses being out here. She caught the adventure bug and is working on planning an adventure of her own in the future; if I'm nice and play my cards right she might even let me go with. In the meantime, she has joined HF so she can become a hammock goddess, ya'll better treat her nice or I'll come camp in your yards! :D:D:D

slowhike
06-08-2008, 22:05
Genuine Draft if fine, but really misses being out here. She caught the adventure bug and is working on planning an adventure of her own in the future; if I'm nice and play my cards right she might even let me go with. In the meantime, she has joined HF so she can become a hammock goddess, ya'll better treat her nice or I'll come camp in your yards! :D:D:D

Well welcome to HF Genuine Draft!

Train Wreck
06-12-2008, 08:48
So Pearl and I set off on the aquablaze two days ago and were going to wait for Nest, Yazzie, Cannibal, MacGuver, and Lemur to catch up. We slept under a bridge the first night... the following day our rafts took on water. So we took our rafts back to WalMart... beat all to hell... and still dripping water and they gave us all our money back. Then we got a hitch all the way up to Harpers Ferry. Apparently the Shenadoah suck right now and we made a good call to SOBO it during leaf season. I'm not sure where the rest of the armada ended up, but given the water levels I'm sure they're struggling down the south river.
While I'm here I'd like to thank Lost (for being an awesome trail mom), Hooch (for the tarp), Doctari/Ivan (for a multitude of things but entertainment probably being the top of the list), and last but not least the parasites in Cannibals beard that keep eating all the pomegranite seeds that he gets stuck there.

slowhike
06-12-2008, 14:50
So Pearl and I set off on the aquablaze two days ago and were going to wait for Nest, Yazzie, Cannibal, MacGuver, and Lemur to catch up. We slept under a bridge the first night... the following day our rafts took on water. So we took our rafts back to WalMart... beat all to hell... and still dripping water and they gave us all our money back. Then we got a hitch all the way up to Harpers Ferry. Apparently the Shenadoah suck right now and we made a good call to SOBO it during leaf season. I'm not sure where the rest of the armada ended up, but given the water levels I'm sure they're struggling down the south river.
While I'm here I'd like to thank Lost (for being an awesome trail mom), Hooch (for the tarp), Doctari/Ivan (for a multitude of things but entertainment probably being the top of the list), and last but not least the parasites in Cannibals beard that keep eating all the pomegranite seeds that he gets stuck there.

Welcome to HF Train Wreck. Where is Cannibal getting those pomegranates<G>?

Lost
06-12-2008, 19:30
TrainWreck - great to hear from you. Got an email from your Mom last night telling me about the problems you two had. At that time she wasn't sure of your plans - glad you decided to stay out for awhile longer!

Nest told me that the weather is terrible, and is even considering doing a flip flop, but last thought was to do some night hiking after the aquablaze.

Give Pearl a hug for me and ya'll take care. Hope to have the opportunity to spend time with the two of you again.

peanuts
06-13-2008, 09:30
welcome train wreck! glad you are having a good time! send best regards to pearl!:)

Annie
06-15-2008, 17:13
Where are you folks finding computers? Libraries?

Ramblinrev
06-15-2008, 17:19
Blackberries, some cell phones allow posting
PDA's sometimes allow posting

Annie
06-15-2008, 17:20
Wow... I'm old :p

Lost
06-15-2008, 17:55
Actually, Nest has said that it is not as easy as he was lead to believe before he hit the trail. He is using them at libraries when in town, but he said most places charge by the minute, or there are so many people wanting to use them that he just passes up most opportunities. Thus, no undated trail journal unless I post after our phone conversations. (Which I haven't been doing, either:o)

Coffee
06-15-2008, 18:18
Yeah it is a pain to find internet access on the trail. Some places have it, but not much. There is way to much else to get done when you are in town than sit on the internet, mainly eating.

furtigan
06-16-2008, 20:24
And when you do get that 1-2 hours at the library, your priority is checking email or paying bills or that sort of thing, not chatting.

Unless you're in waynesboro, with 2 computers in one hostel...

cavediver2
06-16-2008, 20:56
I really wish cannibal would post more on his journal and I know he said he was not finding much time to post but DANG I was really looking forward to hearing his journey. well when he is done he better right a book about it so we all can read it.

Train Wreck
06-17-2008, 22:40
I pack out a desktop and plug it up whenever I smell a WI-FI connection.

Hey Lost, Where is Nest? We're looking to cross paths with him again. It's weird hiking without him even though hiking is weirder with him.

Train Wreck
06-17-2008, 22:48
I really wish cannibal would post more on his journal and I know he said he was not finding much time to post but DANG I was really looking forward to hearing his journey. well when he is done he better right a book about it so we all can read it.

It would be a very short book, consisting mostly of chapters beginning with "So I was in a car (truck, van, etc.) hitching [insert random double digit number] miles up the trail..."

Baaaaa-zing!

Nest
06-18-2008, 15:41
I'm in DC right now. Planned on spending a few days here but got too buggy with all the people around. So I plan on going back to Harpers Ferry tomorrow. The library thing is a pain. The biggest load of BS is that I went tnto the Library of Congress, which is supposed to be the king of libraries in America, and they wouldn't let my use the internet or get a library card! Instead they tried to talk me into some kind of tour, but before she could start her speil about how we can travel the dewey decimal system with a tour guide I just left. So for future thru hikers, the Library of Congress sucks, and is nto hiker friendly. They probably wouldn't let me use their internet because they thought I was homeless and wanted to mapquest the local mission. Then print off the directions and not pay the 10 cents for the copy. Oh well, I need to get hiking again anyways.

Lost
06-18-2008, 19:26
I love my son. He makes me laugh!

I am always in for a surprise when he calls with a report of where he is! Can't you just imagine what the people were thinking with the hair, beard and hiker funk going on??

And TrainWreck - that wasn't nice. Funny, but not nice:D

Miss you guys.

Shadowmoss
06-19-2008, 08:04
**Shadowmoss looks to see where the AT crosses through DC**

hmmm. Oh, well, sending hugs. I know you must miss me as much as I miss you.

Nest
06-19-2008, 08:30

You'll always be the first girl in my hammock.:cool:

Hey, if you do manage to start a thru hike next year we will be on the trail together most likely. Right now I am planning on doing it again next year. Then maybe the year after that, and the year after that. For right now though, the plan is to do another hike next year. Maybe not do the whole thing, but to just be out here for 6-8 more months.

Coffee
06-19-2008, 09:12

You can catch a train from Harpers ferry.

Don't miss the NYC Train station right on the trail in NY. I didn't go in, but almost everyone else seemed to.

Shadowmoss
06-19-2008, 20:33
Not next year, 2010. I have a few detours to make before then. Including possibly heading to Iraq for 3 weeks in August. I will find out if I get to go next week. I would consider it an honor to go, especially if only for 3 weeks. I figure I can see all of the sandbox I need to see in that time, and not leave post while doing it. This would be work related. It's either there, or Salem, Oregon in August and Ft. Lewis, WA in September.

And, I really do miss you.

Oh, Shiloh is in Delaware Water Gap tonight. He called earlier today.

attroll
06-20-2008, 00:24
Well them maybe we will bump heads in 2010. I am thru hiking in 2010.

Shadowmoss
06-20-2008, 08:33
attroll: I look forward to bumping heads on the trail :) .

Train Wreck
06-20-2008, 18:26
We were walking through Pennsylvania and decided we were tired of the trail. We're going to go adventure elsewhere... don't know where... but the trail just wasn't fun anymore.
Nest and Cannibal, we'll see you guys again! Still plan on doing HF to Peaks of Otter South in October. Nest you have our number, get at us when you're around.

Lost
06-20-2008, 18:39
Just talked to Nest and he's back on the trail trying to catch up with the two of you! I'll PM you my number, would love to talk to you.

peanuts
06-21-2008, 09:33
sorry to hear that tw and pearl.....hope you will return to the trail someday!

Youngblood
06-21-2008, 13:00
We were walking through Pennsylvania and decided we were tired of the trail. We're going to go adventure elsewhere... don't know where... but the trail just wasn't fun anymore.
Nest and Cannibal, we'll see you guys again! Still plan on doing HF to Peaks of Otter South in October. Nest you have our number, get at us when you're around.
Most folks get tired of the trail and want to get off. My advice is to go into to town, stay a few days, and then decide. Sometimes you just need a few days to regroup.

The trail is definitely hard and can get monotonous and boring in sections, but it has its perks too. It is suppose to be something you do because you enjoy it and if you don't, then you don't.

Train Wreck
06-23-2008, 09:25
Most folks get tired of the trail and want to get off. My advice is to go into to town, stay a few days, and then decide. Sometimes you just need a few days to regroup.

The trail is definitely hard and can get monotonous and boring in sections, but it has its perks too. It is suppose to be something you do because you enjoy it and if you don't, then you don't.

HEy Youngblood!
Thanks for the Plackers.
Hiking is great, but I think I'd rather live in the woods than walk in the woods.
By the end of the fall we will have completed half of the trail, I think we're going to do mostly camping for the rest of the summer.

Train Wreck
06-23-2008, 09:27
sorry to hear that tw and pearl.....hope you will return to the trail someday!

Don't be sorry for us. My feet are losing their swell and I'm already growing my pinky toenails back.

Annie
06-23-2008, 10:18
How many miles have you gone all together?

Train Wreck
06-23-2008, 12:46
From where we stopped in PA... around 800 (give a little). Then we're going to hike the rest of VA in the fall when the leaves are changing. That will put us at 1050 and some... right around half of the trail will be completed.

Youngblood
06-23-2008, 17:01
Don't be sorry for us. My feet are losing their swell and I'm already growing my pinky toenails back.

That brings back a memory. I was about ready to leave the trail as I was finishing up PA because the bottom of my feet were not just going numb, they were almost numb. I barely had any feeling left in them.

I had been using low cut hiking shoes/boots that had Vibram soles and extra ccf insole underneath Super Feet insoles. At the last town in PA (Wind something) I bought some New Balance 802 trail runners and tied my shoes/boots on my pack. I started getting some feeling back in my feet immediately, tossed the shoes/boots at the next town, and finished the trail with the trail runners. I replaced them every 200 to 300 miles when I could find them to have fresh threads and cushy insoles. It took a few years to get all the feeling back in my feet.

You have hiked a long ways and seen lots of new things. Congratulations on that and always remember the trail will be there for you if you decide you want to see what was beyond that next mountain.

I was ready to be done with the trail towards the end of my hike but a couple of years later I really wanted to do it again... not so much these days, but that can change.:) For a few years I hiked 100 mile or so chunks of trail every couple of months until injures slowed me down. Now I'm happy with 30 miles chunks.

Annie
06-23-2008, 17:50
I wore New Balance on the Camino.
Worth every single cent.

I have short wide feet and these have a LOT of toe room which = no blisters.
I love them!

I wore them out of the shop and right onto the trial -- never had to break them in.

I bought inserts for $30 also, and those REALLY helped too. My feet only bothered me the first day, but no big blisters, and really no problems. They were only tired because I wasn't used to walking 30 km.

I'm still wearing those same shoes after all those miles, but will get a new pair before my next trek.

riverkeeper
06-24-2008, 00:12
Yep.

I've only used New Balance trail runners since about 98.

While working as a summer wilderness ranger too.

Soft Spenco insert and an arch.

Nest
06-24-2008, 00:21
Yeah, I'm off the trail too. Got bored. I've never really liked hiking, and was just doing the trail because I like adventure and journeys. Now that I was getting north it wasn't as much fun to go do things off the trail. It cost too much, not as much to do it seemed, and the terrain and weather just stopped being fun. The Roanoke ATC ruined the trail and they just pushed me over the edge. So I figured the fun was over, so I came home. Now I'm looking into another adventure to finish this year off perfectly.

neo
06-24-2008, 08:58
Yeah, I'm off the trail too. Got bored. I've never really liked hiking, and was just doing the trail because I like adventure and journeys. Now that I was getting north it wasn't as much fun to go do things off the trail. It cost too much, not as much to do it seemed, and the terrain and weather just stopped being fun. The Roanoke ATC ruined the trail and they just pushed me over the edge. So I figured the fun was over, so I came home. Now I'm looking into another adventure to finish this year off perfectly.

hey zak.we are having a pizza get together at fletchers tommorrow nite,i hope you can make it:cool:neo

Coffee
06-24-2008, 09:06
Nothing wrong with getting off. I keep telling myself that if I was consistantly for days not having fun and enjoying things, than what was the point. It is supposed to be a fun vacation.

Good luck on the next adventure.

Nest
06-24-2008, 12:23
Yeah, I'll be at the pizza thing.

I still plan on getting on the trail again next year with my dog this time. Don't plan on finishing it then either, just to be out there as long as possible and enjoy myself. Maybe another 4-5 months and only make it halfway again.

Shadowmoss
06-24-2008, 12:59
Yeah, I'll be at the pizza thing.

WOOT!!!! :D

Cannibal
06-25-2008, 16:58
I ain't leavin! This is where I live now and I like having a new home every night. You three will be missed out here. :(

The book will be great! LOL. I've yellow blazed about 220 (mostly from Waynesboro to Harpers), but have already made plans to hike the missed miles after my Summit. Plus, I got to do the double decker tour bus in DC, which is way more fun with beer! :D They wouldn't let me hang from the cherry trees; dang nab it.

Staying at a mansion tonight in some park in S. PA; no Warbonnet tonight. :eek:

Shadowmoss
06-25-2008, 17:49
I'm sitting in Fletcher's right now waiting on everyone, especially Zak/nest/whatever he's called now...

rigidpsycho
06-25-2008, 17:51
Don't flirt with him to hard Shadowmoss, he is just frsh off the trail. He may be a little trail lagged.

Shadowmoss
06-25-2008, 22:02
I had to remind him how to give a hug. Other than that Nest came through the evening unscathed. A good turnout, and a good time was had by all, I believe.

furtigan
08-01-2008, 10:27
Nest and Cannibal, we'll see you guys again! Still plan on doing HF to Peaks of Otter South in October. Nest you have our number, get at us when you're around.Hey Trainwreck, Chainsaw here. Sorry to hear you guys are off, but glad that it's for good reasons. Hope to see you in the woods sometime.

I'm in Kent, CT, killing time waiting for a maildrop...

Cannibal
08-11-2008, 08:48
Well, I'm off the Trail. :( :mad:
For a lousy reason too; I ran out of money.

I made it to Vermont and had to come home. Can't even begin to describe how upset I am about the decision. I could have finished, but would have been completely destitute coming off. That would have meant living with my parents for who knows how long and I was not willing to do that.

However, WHAT A RIDE! The experience was amazing and NOT ONCE did the Cannibal sleep on the ground or shelter floor (except a couple of spontaneous naps).

I will be starting over at Springer within the next two years. I started out to accomplish a thru hike and I will. At least I got all the tourist part of the thru hike out of the way, that should save me some cash the next time around. ;)

I'm in the process of moving out to Colorado, I'll catch up on everything when things settle a bit. Just wanted to let everyone know the Trail is safe again...Cannibal is home.

Coffee
08-11-2008, 10:32
Well, I'm off the Trail. :( :mad:
For a lousy reason too; I ran out of money.

I made it to Vermont and had to come home. Can't even begin to describe how upset I am about the decision. I could have finished, but would have been completely destitute coming off. That would have meant living with my parents for who knows how long and I was not willing to do that.

However, WHAT A RIDE! The experience was amazing and NOT ONCE did the Cannibal sleep on the ground or shelter floor (except a couple of spontaneous naps).

I will be starting over at Springer within the next two years. I started out to accomplish a thru hike and I will. At least I got all the tourist part of the thru hike out of the way, that should save me some cash the next time around. ;)

I'm in the process of moving out to Colorado, I'll catch up on everything when things settle a bit. Just wanted to let everyone know the Trail is safe again...Cannibal is home.

At least you went that far. Not too many people can say they decided to follow their dream and do something that most people would never try and think you are stupid for doing. Whatever you do, don't look at what you accomplished as anything close to a failure.

I'm sure you'll be back out. Hey maybe even southbound like all the cool kids.

Oh and the adjustment process sucks. I'm still feeling it 6 months later. Shopping is the worest. I need to make shopping lists when I am getting food, or almost anything else, and stick to it. If I don't it usually ends in lots of walking around and just getting enough to make it another day.

Lost
08-11-2008, 14:16
I'll tell Nest he can slow down. He's been trying to catch you for 2 weeks!

Yeah - he went back. Three weeks at home was enough!

Cannibal
08-11-2008, 23:39
Whatever you do, don't look at what you accomplished as anything close to a failure.

Failure is defined by the perceptions of each person. Did I fail? Absolutely! I set out to accomplish a thru hike; I did not accomplish that = failure. Do I believe we learn from failure? No doubt. I'll win in the final analysis, but for the time being...I failed. I have no intention of making the same mistake again; I've learned.

I also got the experience of a lifetime. I wouldn't trade it for anything. My nipples are hard with anticipation of my next journey on the AT.:D I'll try to make do until then with all the really crappy hanging in the Rocky Mountains. Might be tough. ;) I know you have a soft spot for Colorado, so just let me know when you want to come out, I'll pick you up at the airport.

Family is already saying I quit before finishing just so I had an excuse to do it again. I wish I could argue with them.

Three weeks at home was enough!

You're **** right! One week is driving me nuts.

I've got some reviews to do on my equipment which I will try to post soon. My trusty Warbonnet didn't let me down, nor did my JRB quilts. I have no idea why people are still sleeping on the ground; crazy!

HAMMOCKS RULE; others drool!

Hooch
08-12-2008, 07:21
My nipples are hard with anticipation of my next journey on the AT.......You're a kinky man.

Coffee
08-12-2008, 08:05
I've got some reviews to do on my equipment which I will try to post soon. My trusty Warbonnet didn't let me down, nor did my JRB quilts. I have no idea why people are still sleeping on the ground; crazy!

I enjoyed my month and a half worth of nights in the shelters.:eek: Raining, cold, snowy, and I'm alone with a huge air mattress and the shelters are not that bad.

On a side note I am going to have to get a tent. Not because of wanting to. More of going to places on the beach without trees. With the storms that come through down here I don't want to mess with portable stands.

Shelters rule!

Youngblood
08-12-2008, 10:08
With a plush air mat you can certainly laugh at hard shelter floors.

Coffee
08-12-2008, 12:56
With a plush air mat you can certainly laugh at hard shelter floors.

Yep 2.5" thick dual core Big Agnus pad on a torso length ccp with my 3.5" loft quilt inside my montbell super stretch #2 bag make it nice and cozy on those cold winter nights.:D

slowhike
08-13-2008, 05:43
Hey Cannibal... sorry you had to let this one go, but glad to hear that you're moving on & looking forward to the next one!
I like this...
HAMMOCKS RULE; others drool!

Nest
08-13-2008, 13:02

headchange4u
08-13-2008, 14:44
Sorry to hear that you had to get off the trail. You should be very proud of the distance that you covered, and you should be very proud that you never went to ground!

Train Wreck
08-15-2008, 00:18
Hey, congrats on making it as far as you did Cannibal. I learned a lot on the trail... mostly that walking up and down mountains that can be easily circumnavigated is about as much fun as walking up and down mountains that can be easily circumnavigated. I still love the woods and I still love my hammock, but I also like that faculty of my feet. Enjoy colorado, hope to run into you again.

Chainsaw it's all you man. Let me know when you make it to the Big K.

Lost
09-04-2008, 15:16
Talked to Nest today. He just came down the first mountain in the Whites. Night hiked up - said that was pretty fun!

Currently in New Woodstock, NH. Still feeling good and looking for some good fattening fast food today.

NCPatrick
09-04-2008, 20:47
According to Certain's log, she is now in Maine! Bethel was where her last post is from.