PDA

View Full Version : Ridgeline?

Narwhalin
05-04-2008, 09:52
This is a neat way of rigging the tarp. Go to tarp setup: http://www.bushcraftnorthwest.com/articles/articles.htm

I like this way for packing up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR3DMj-zJu8

The bushcraft article about tarp setup had me thinking...

They use a "ridgeline" running from tree to tree and secure the tarp to that line, then guy out the sides. I thought that you just tied out the tarp to the trees without any line running underneath. Can someone clear this up for me?

Dutch
05-04-2008, 10:02
From what I have seen most people use the seam as the ridgeline. Maybe if the seam went perpendicular to the ridge line then you would want a seperate RL to reduce stress on the seam but that is still doubtful. I think people use to use a seperate ridgeline before tarp got so strong and light.

Narwhalin
05-04-2008, 11:07
I have no tarping experience, (yet!) but I have been using the seam for the ridgeline in my test hangs. Is there a structural advantage to using the rope with regards to the shape you acheive?

Ramblinrev
05-04-2008, 11:32
Maybe I am hanging it wrong, but my tarp always ends up resting on the ridge of my HH. I think it can be personal choice as to whther to have a separate ridgeline or not.

Hector
05-04-2008, 11:43
A full cord ridgeline is not necessary. That said, if you just want one, use one. HYOT (hang your own tarp). :)

TiredFeet
05-04-2008, 11:45
Personal preference. :D

Seems that most people now do as Dutch said.

Myself, I always run a ridge line cord, tree to tree. The cord already has Prussik loops on the line. Once the ridge line is set, I just use the Prussik loop and a stick I pick up off the ground to use as a toggle to hook the tarp ridge tie outs to the Prussiks. I use the Prussiks to center the tarp and pull the ridge line tight. All of my tarps also have a tie out in the center of the tarp on the ridge line. I use a small carabiner to hook that tie out to the ridge line cord, that keeps the center of the tarp high and tight.

Again, it seems to me that it is nothing but personal preference, but some people get pretty worked up about the "right way" to do something. :rolleyes:

mataharihiker
05-04-2008, 11:59
ridgeline could be useful when your tarp is covered with tent worms and their caca:

http://inlinethumb23.webshots.com/6550/2203126510046140551S425x425Q85.jpg

Ramblinrev
05-04-2008, 12:25
mataharihiker... you need a power washer for that....

headchange4u
05-04-2008, 15:20
You don't need a ridge line cord all the way across from tree to tree.

I have been thinking about adding and "accessory ridge line cord" underneath the tarp to hang some gear off of but not to hold up the tarp. It wouldn't be tight, just kinda hanging down a little bit.

slowhike
05-04-2008, 15:42
You don't need a ridge line cord all the way across from tree to tree.

I have been thinking about adding and "accessory ridge line cord" underneath the tarp to hang some gear off of but not to hold up the tarp. It wouldn't be tight, just kinda hanging down a little bit.

that's what i did.
to avoid the likelihood of water making it's way down the line & dripping onto my hammock, i added a grosgrain loop on the inside/bottom of the ridgeline seam to tie the cord on.
that way, it starts & ends under the tarp.

headchange4u
05-04-2008, 15:43
The GG tabs are a good idea.

Narwhalin
05-04-2008, 15:52
The GG tabs are a good idea.
"There are no good ideas anymore. Just be happy we thought of something." -Paul Neilan

:confused:

headchange4u
05-04-2008, 15:55
lol:p :D

see it's an idea that slowhike thought of before me.

slowhike
05-04-2008, 16:10
lol:p :D

see it's an idea that slowhike thought of before me.

people here are aways coming up w/ something new... or at least we think so until it shows up in a patent from the 1800s<G>.
but honestly, i have had the "accessory" type ridgeline hanging from the inside of my last two DIY tarps.
but i'll bet it's not a first<G>.