PDA

View Full Version : Back to the ENO Double!

KMACK
11-07-2011, 15:37
Years ago my first hammock was an ENO double. Not satisfied being a newbie I went to a Hennesey, that did'nt work out so I jumped on the Black Bird wagon. Wicked cool hammock but it just did'nt fit me right. Failing to realize that the Traveler was the same basic size as the BB I gave that a shot but again I could not find my sweet spot. So I am back with my first love and it is GREAT! Its four years old and dialed in with a longer (than most) ridge line I could'nt be happier. I had trimmed off the colored sides years ago added some whoopis slings and a removable DIY bug net...all those waisted years!

So for any newbies that have an ENO double dont feel like your missing out on all the talk about the other "high end" hammocks, dont get me wrong the other hammocks are true works of art, but dont think for a minute your ENO is any less of a hammock.

Bubba
11-07-2011, 15:42
Good points. Those years weren't wasted if they helped you figure out what works for you. My first hammock was AN ENO DN and I too trimmed the sides off. It still get used a lot a well.

hang10
11-07-2011, 15:43
woot! i love my double eno. and so does everyone who has laid in it.

StumpJumper
11-07-2011, 15:51
I started out buying "high end" hammocks, but being a complete gear addict, I recently purchased an ENO dbl as it was recommended by another forum member as their favorite "convertible" hammock. I haven't done an overnight yet but I can see what KMACK is talking about. It's an incredibly comfortable hammock - in fact - probably now my favorite to lounge in. The fabric is very soft on the skin and I like how there's just a little bit of stretch to it, conforming to your body.

There should be no shame in owning this hammock, that's for sure.

DivaB
11-07-2011, 15:56
Yes, indeed it is my love too. Why did you trim the sides down? Was it a "weight" thing? Just curious, as I can't imagine not having those.

TehNoff
11-07-2011, 16:35
Isn't the SingleNest just a double with no sides?

peanuts
11-07-2011, 17:02
hehehehe.....my first eno(single) its 11 y.o....and going strong:boggle::boggle:

i bought a new one last yr, not been used yet....:D

oh and i started w/hennesy...

JayS
11-07-2011, 17:34
Isn't the SingleNest just a double with no sides?

No, there is a difference in the size of the hammocks' bodies, especially in the width sans sides.

Dannytoo
11-07-2011, 18:11
I am very new to hammocks, so please be kind in your answers. The double are you using it single? How much weight will it hold? What about shoulder room I have very large shoulders? Please be kind I'm an old man and I cry easy.

KMACK
11-07-2011, 18:56
I cut the sides off because they did not seen to serve any real function other that flopping into my face. It also shaved about 3 or 4oz off.

Dannytoo please dont cry...but I dont recall the weight limit. The best thing about it is that it dosnt come with a fixed ridge line so you can make it with as little or as much sag as you see fit. I'm 6' 180lbs and run a 108" ridge line...thats what works for me. Oh and yes I use it as single.

American dream
11-07-2011, 19:13
3 blackbirds 1.7dl but seem to always go back to my trek-light doubles. For sure fine hammocks!

Dannytoo
11-07-2011, 19:37
I cut the sides off because they did not seen to serve any real function other that flopping into my face. It also shaved about 3 or 4oz off.

Dannytoo please dont cry...but I dont recall the weight limit. The best thing about it is that it dosnt come with a fixed ridge line so you can make it with as little or as much sag as you see fit. I'm 6' 180lbs and run a 108" ridge line...thats what works for me. Oh and yes I use it as single.

Thanks KMACK for the information. I'm a little heaver than you by about 60 lbs. I am just getting into hanging and have been reading a lot and y'all seem to know what is going on, I'll be asking a lot more questions.
Dan

futbolfreak08
11-07-2011, 19:49
I am very new to hammocks, so please be kind in your answers. The double are you using it single? How much weight will it hold? What about shoulder room I have very large shoulders? Please be kind I'm an old man and I cry easy.

the posted weight limit on ENO's site for the DN is 400 lb. I also have broad shoulders and i've not had any problems with shoulder squeeze with my DN. hope this helps.

peanuts
11-07-2011, 21:37
weight limit for eno single or dbl is 400 pounds

Dannytoo
11-07-2011, 21:54
the posted weight limit on ENO's site for the DN is 400 lb. I also have broad shoulders and i've not had any problems with shoulder squeeze with my DN. hope this helps.
Thank you helps a lot.

muddog15
11-08-2011, 05:59
I've never had one of the over priced hammocks and I never will pay that kind of money for one. I love my ENO DN. There never has been a problem with EN hammocks. I havent cut the sides down either.

pellet gun
11-08-2011, 08:18
I did the exact same thing...I started w/ a couple of DIY gathered end hammocks, Bought my DN, then a WBBB (thought I was missing out)....sold my BB and now just lovin' my ENO!

DivaB
11-08-2011, 09:05
I've never had a problem with my eno double flopping in my face. I like the sides, as I use it all when I lay on an angle and flip flop from one side to the next. Yes, I'm one of "those" sleepers, plus I'm broad across the shoulders. The sides along my feet also help whatever top quilt I'm using to stay inside the hammock....even if it's a rectangle sleeping bag.

I did get these very inexpensive hammocks off ebay. I was curious about what they were. Talk about lucking out. They are wide, and quite comfortable. They are going to be what we use in our "hammock barn". The only problem with them is the ends are those tie out types with all the cords, a tangled mess if you were going to use for camping/hiking, but great for hanging in one spot. Still trying to figure out how to convert them a bit to work for winter camping because they are warmer than the Eno.

mbcruzin
11-08-2011, 09:35
I got in to hammocking with an eno single type of hammock and have since bought two doubles. The first one went to my son after I got the second one. I've done the whoopie sling conversion and added a ridge line to help dial in the sag. Its my favorite way to camp again (like rediscovering you long lost best friend). I'm still piecing things together for my eno like a lighter tarp, and an underquilt.

I've also looked into getting a black bird but it looks like a very narrow hammock. But I wouldn't mind a HH exped deluxe.

oldgringo
11-08-2011, 10:45
Count me in.

I have enough hammocks to start a business, but if forced to choose one...

OutandBack
11-08-2011, 12:21
I just put whoopies on my ENO double in prep for winter hanging.
Very comfy hammock.

DivaB
11-08-2011, 19:43
We should all have Eno hang some time:D

Roadrunnr72
11-08-2011, 20:06
I went the other way. Started with a SN, went to a DIY Gathered end, then bought a DN on sale, went back to the DIY. That is my "go-to" hammock. I still do lay out with the ENOs. May have to break out 1 this weekend, just because.......

BillyBob58
11-08-2011, 20:08
I started out buying "high end" hammocks, but being a complete gear addict, I recently purchased an ENO dbl as it was recommended by another forum member as their favorite "convertible" hammock. I haven't done an overnight yet but I can see what KMACK is talking about. It's an incredibly comfortable hammock - in fact - probably now my favorite to lounge in. The fabric is very soft on the skin and I like how there's just a little bit of stretch to it, conforming to your body.

There should be no shame in owning this hammock, that's for sure.

I'm kind of that way, based strictly on comfort, about my $45 HH Safari No Net that I got at the Oct odds and ends several years ago. It is a very long hammock with a very deep sag under it's 112" RL. I never have heard much about this hammock, and probably 3/4 of what I have heard was from me. But it is a good one. We don't hear a lot about the ENOs either, but sounds like they are quite competitive in the comfort department.

BillyBob58
11-08-2011, 20:11
3 blackbirds 1.7dl but seem to always go back to my trek-light doubles. For sure fine hammocks!

I've got a TL double but have never used it much, I need to check it out better. I think I have been in it once. Isn't it extremely similar to the ENOs?

Alan
11-08-2011, 20:29
An ENO Doublenest was my very first hammock years ago. Loved it.
Gave it away as a gift to a friend hoping I could get him to join the madness!

Kukri
11-08-2011, 20:41
I recently spent my first full night in it; before I had just napped. I found it very comfy and plan to use it again as long as I don't need the bug net from the BB.

Steve D
11-08-2011, 21:45
Count me in. Have had my DN for almost a year and love it. Can't find any good reason to 'upgrade' to anything else cause its super comfortable. Have since bought one for each of my daughters and they dig 'em too...

mbcruzin
11-08-2011, 22:53
I think if you look at what are in members description section. Over half of them have listed an ENO SN or DN along with there WBBB or HH or what ever else you can fit in there. Just an observation.

RedBeardHanger
11-10-2011, 06:35
Years ago my first hammock was an ENO double. Not satisfied being a newbie I went to a Hennesey, that did'nt work out so I jumped on the Black Bird wagon. Wicked cool hammock but it just did'nt fit me right. Failing to realize that the Traveler was the same basic size as the BB I gave that a shot but again I could not find my sweet spot. So I am back with my first love and it is GREAT! Its four years old and dialed in with a longer (than most) ridge line I could'nt be happier. I had trimmed off the colored sides years ago added some whoopis slings and a removable DIY bug net...all those waisted years!

So for any newbies that have an ENO double dont feel like your missing out on all the talk about the other "high end" hammocks, dont get me wrong the other hammocks are true works of art, but dont think for a minute your ENO is any less of a hammock.

I agree... Although I haven’t had mine for long and only tried 1 other brand, I won’t mention any names but I just don’t care for the permanently attached bug net... I have used my double nest a dozen or so times in the last several months and am totally diggin it! I bought the full set up for $209. I figured i’d save some $$ and tweak it from there. The only change I’m thinking of atm is getting a bigger rainfly, maybe as a base camp fly or maybe to replace the profly I have now... dunno yet.

RedBeardHanger
11-10-2011, 06:39
No, there is a difference in the size of the hammocks' bodies, especially in the width sans sides.

Eh...?

DoubleNest
Dimensions: 6' 8" x 9' 10"
Weight: 22oz

SingleNest
Dimensions: 4' 7" x 9' 10"
Weight: 18oz

Copy&pasted from their site...

RedBeardHanger
11-10-2011, 06:46
We should all have Eno hang some time:D

I’m up for that... Talking shop er... hangin with just one topic, sounds great!
But are there enough of the eno hangers in one general area to make it worth while...?

DivaB
11-10-2011, 21:53
I’m up for that... Talking shop er... hangin with just one topic, sounds great!
But are there enough of the eno hangers in one general area to make it worth while...?

Probably not, I just look for any excuse to have a hang:laugh:

G...Hawk
11-10-2011, 22:50
Love our ENO single and Double for dayhikes, bike ride breaks and backyard.
And to lend to friends to fall in love with hanging.

The double is wide enough to wrap around you to keep out the bugs. Even read inside the cocoon.

Spogatz
03-26-2012, 23:32
I just bought my Double nest this weekend and got some slap straps to go with it. While I don't like the slap strap stretch I do love the hammock. I think this is going to be a good one to take on the day hike we love to take. Just something simple to setup and relax before heading back.

xutopia
03-30-2012, 09:52

My whole family sat in it a few times (and we swing back and forth for fun). Together we weigh a total of 350lbs. If you add the swinging I'd say you could probably reach 400lbs easy.

Tinmar
04-05-2012, 21:09
I think the DN is rated at 400lbs.

WestMIRailroader
04-06-2012, 16:27
I just bought my Double nest this weekend and got some slap straps to go with it. While I don't like the slap strap stretch I do love the hammock. I think this is going to be a good one to take on the day hike we love to take. Just something simple to setup and relax before heading back.

Everyone is hard on the slap straps, but I have personally found that if you soak them in hot water, and then hang out in the hammock for a few hours, they tend to lose their 'stretchiness' quite quickly.

At first they were BAD, but I never ended up on the ground again after giving them a good stretch. I am a heavier guy though, so maybe that had something to do with it too.

lugnut
04-13-2012, 14:50
the slap straps work really well with my 100 lbs daughter. they stretched really bad with me at around 170 though. i have no doubts that once stretched they would awesome.

that being said, i'm not giving up my homemade treestraps for the slap straps :lol:

AT4ever
04-18-2012, 20:16
I'm really pretty happy to have found this particular thread! I was starting to feel like I had committed a serious hammock faux pa by starting out with an ENO DN. I think I made the right choice considering my height, weight and width of my shoulders. This thread confirmed my choice. I didn't want to feel like the kid who shows up at a professional jam session with a Sears guitar! I mean... Unless that kid was Joe Bonamassa or sumptin' :lol:

Spikemaulmaster
04-25-2012, 21:47
I'm loving these back to the ENO threads! They've got me chomping at the bit to get out and hang in my new DN!

trixie's dad
05-16-2012, 14:02

My first hammock was an eno dn. I am at the point where you guys were..and am thinking about the WBBB 1.7 dl..but after listening to you guys, I'm not sure now.

I got the eno dn because im a big guy..i just hide it well, and thought that my weight would be a problem. Actualmente, my weight was not even close to a prob (and i weigh over 300). It's not even a problem for a single nest which i use to lounge in the park with. If you're really worried, I'd change the straps for like skinny mountail climbing rope which i use and it's not static (or is it static)..it doesn't stretch and can hold several tons. For shoulder room, the single nest was not tight..but for comfort go with the dn. (oh and they're going to be on sale at rei for like 45 bucks!!!

I have laid on even string net hammocks. I think the most important thing is that you slowly sit down on it and dont just jump in it.

I hope this helps

Bchris641
05-21-2012, 23:39
thanks everyone for posting about the ENO dbl. I am brand new at this and i have been looking extremely hard for a great hammock for my size ( 350 lbs. and 6'2"). i had pretty much decided to go with the ENO for the weight issue and also the relitivly cheap cost. i was worried that it wouldn't be adequate enough for heavy camping use but i am now relieved to hear that this is a great hammock! especially for a Newb!

Jhb627
05-22-2012, 08:38
Although I am not new to camping I decided last week to finally ditch the tent for "hanging". I am 5'11" and weigh 230. I also have wide shoulders and decided to go with the ENO DN. I am happy to read all the positive things about the DN.

I have only done the "I just bought it try it" hang in the back yard using some old webbing and the stock steel biners. Building some whoopieslings and soft shackles when the Amsteel shows up

JB
West Point, NY

doogie
05-22-2012, 14:15
I've had my ENO DN for about a year now and finally used it for more than napping. See my post "First Hammock Hang - Success" in the Trip Reports. I finally scrolled down and saw this ENO section. I definitely need to work out my ridge line issues. Mine was loose and then I played with it and made it looser so my bug net was really close to my face. I was thinking about removing the ridge line and clipping the bug net to the tarp ridge line above my head. Any recommendations will be gladly considered.

Southpaw
05-25-2012, 17:55
Back to the DN for me too.. It's heavy, but I just can't find or make one as comfortable.

petez
05-25-2012, 20:55
Brand new here, and glad I found this thread on Eno. I found hammock forums firs and was contemplating making my own until I found the deal at REI and bought the DN. No great loss if I don't like hanging, but I am enthusiastic about it. Bought some NoSeum and Amsteel line (SP?) and some silnylon from DIY so I am going to make some of my own. Wanted a larger tarp and longer net than the Eno net and tarp. Now, since I have only one tree in my back yard, I am looking for some aluminum tubing to make a telescoping one pole hammock stand. Any advice on the size tubing I need would sure be appreciated.

hangout
05-25-2012, 22:29
Got to add my +1 to this thread. I started hammock camping last fall, and like so many noobs, I ran out and bought an ENO DN because they had them in stock at REI, and they were relatively cheap! Then I got on HF and started reading up and pretty quick I had a severe case of hammock envy. All the cool tricked out toys all the other kids had...I was jealous. So, $180 bucks later I had a new toy, just ripe with bells and whistles. Took it out, played with it, layed in it, and finally tried to sleep in it. Then the cruel realization set in...my DN was more comfortable! Buyer's remorse how I loathe thee! The lesson learned here...the Toyota costs a quarter the price of the BMW, will take you any where the BMW will go, and will still be on the road long after the BMW is rusting in the junk yard. Bells and whistles are fun, but after twenty miles on the trail, when you crawl into that thing totally exhausted, you're not going to care one bit about the bells and whistles if you can't sleep.
My hammock inventory is now up to five. The $180 oops, a DIY gathered end, a WAL Mart special(not a bad backyard hanger for $25 I might add), and two ENO Double Nests. I just picked up the 2nd DN on the sale at REI. I wanted to be able to convert some of my friends, but I wasn't about to give up my own DN, and didn't think that giving them an uncomfortable hammock for their first nights sleep would be the best way to show them the light. Besides, it never hurts to have a back-up in your arsenal! :shades:
Needless to say, whenever the pack hits my back, my DN is on board.
BTW, I do take the $180 oops out every now and then when I want to show off for the other kids at the playground. Just don't ask me to sleep in it!:lol:

rip waverly
05-27-2012, 02:07
Love my double, but it's a different point in comparing hmmks with integrated bugnets to the pleasures of parachute nylon open topped style. No argument against it, just different beasts. Eno on!

fgblueenohanger
05-27-2012, 17:37
I have an ENO DN and love it. Thought about getting some others and trying them, but geez, the thing is so comfortable on campouts that I can't see getting something that may not work. So, I sticking with it!:thumbup1:

NickoftheWoods
05-28-2012, 01:52
Just bought my first ENO back ordered from REI since they are sold out at the store. I am a huge Hennessy Fan and have taken mine all over the country and abroad. I got my HHUE Asym new for $90.00 at a scratch and dent sale. However, the girlfriend it turns out is a cold sleeper unlike my human furnace self and so her night in the HH was quite unpleasant. She finished the night in the tent. So, I had an Idea, if we get and ENO DN then we can share the hammock and help each other regulate body temperature...So when it ships in 2-3 weeks we will start the experiment. Meanwhile I have 23 days in June booked for backpacking including one group hang. The Northern Hang here in Wisconsin. I am also looking forward to moding up the ENO probably right outta the bag. Orange and grey matching whoopies to start and an adjustable structural ridge line. Then i'll put my new DIY bug net to the test. No zippers on this one, just one closed end and one end cinched and the whole thing slide back and forth over the whole hammock so easy in and out in the dark.

NickoftheWoods
05-28-2012, 01:58
Wow just had an idea...these days we have beds that can be adjusted for firmness on each side why not a double hammock?...YES!! Off to The LAB!!! It's 2am bear with me.

pinkgrips236
05-28-2012, 08:14
will forever be a big fan of the ENO.

started with a byer amazon that someone had returned to REI. used the heck out of it. totally broke it, then went to the ENO.

i like the ENO so much b/c i feel like i can just flop into it, wriggle around like a catfish out of water, and i don't have to worry about things falling apart.

not something i would do with the Nano7.

muttly
05-29-2012, 16:51
Ok,

Had a little problem with my Speer (which I loved, see This (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52347&highlight=speer)) and so L.D. Cakes loaned me a DN for the Spring Gorge Hang.

Nice!

While shuttling over to Shortoff Mtn, actually got a 2 bars and called in to family. Wife says "DN's are on sale @ REI."

I said "Order one, please!"

She said "I'll orderd two."

Saints be praised.

Hammy
06-02-2012, 19:49
Bought a DN last year to try it out, then found HF. The addiciton has grown, the kids all wanted hammocks and now we have 4 DN and a HH. I still like the ENO the best. I was just about to order a WBBB and saw this thread. Gonna wait on BB unitl I can try one out.

Atlas918
06-04-2012, 21:38
Got to add my +1 to this thread. I started hammock camping last fall, and like so many noobs, I ran out and bought an ENO DN because they had them in stock at REI, and they were relatively cheap! Then I got on HF and started reading up and pretty quick I had a severe case of hammock envy. All the cool tricked out toys all the other kids had...I was jealous. So, $180 bucks later I had a new toy, just ripe with bells and whistles. Took it out, played with it, layed in it, and finally tried to sleep in it. Then the cruel realization set in...my DN was more comfortable! Buyer's remorse how I loathe thee! The lesson learned here...the Toyota costs a quarter the price of the BMW, will take you any where the BMW will go, and will still be on the road long after the BMW is rusting in the junk yard. Bells and whistles are fun, but after twenty miles on the trail, when you crawl into that thing totally exhausted, you're not going to care one bit about the bells and whistles if you can't sleep.
My hammock inventory is now up to five. The $180 oops, a DIY gathered end, a WAL Mart special(not a bad backyard hanger for $25 I might add), and two ENO Double Nests. I just picked up the 2nd DN on the sale at REI. I wanted to be able to convert some of my friends, but I wasn't about to give up my own DN, and didn't think that giving them an uncomfortable hammock for their first nights sleep would be the best way to show them the light. Besides, it never hurts to have a back-up in your arsenal! :shades:
Needless to say, whenever the pack hits my back, my DN is on board.
BTW, I do take the $180 oops out every now and then when I want to show off for the other kids at the playground. Just don't ask me to sleep in it!:lol:

You're not the only one who thinks their ENO is as good as those trendy hammocks. I recently bought a WBBB 1.1 DL and after laying in it and sleeping in it, I really must say: my ENO DN is just as comfortable.

I like having 2 hammocks though. When the girlfriend or other buddies come out with me I let them use my Blackbird while I sleep in the ENO.

iRokk
06-25-2012, 00:42
My DN is my first hammock, and even after seeing all the fancy stuff people here have with the integrated bug nets, etc, I must say I still don't feel a bit of hammock-envy. I'm a relatively strong guy, so I can carry a few extra ounces without it making a difference, and I like having the room to move around and just lounge in my DN. Plus, integrated bugnet? What is that? What if you're in an area where you don't need a bugnet and just want to enjoy an unobstructed view of the night sky? Forget about it! It takes me 2 min to put my DIY bugnet up and if I don't want it, cool, it can stay in the pack! I'll impress the people who have more expensive, fancier, stuff with how well-rested I am when I wake up in the morning! I even convinced one of my buddies to get himself a DN after he saw how comfortable I am in mine. And my uncle is strongly considering one after our recent trip to Mt. Whitney!

NickoftheWoods
06-25-2012, 14:22
The DN works great for me but I really bought it to use as a two person hammock with my girlfriend Sarah. First night was not a total fail. We crashed around 1am and then slept cozy until 5am when my right hip started throbbing as she was half laying on it. She is a very cold sleeper and we thought since I am a human furnace we could kill 2 birds with one hammock. She is also very new to camping (didn't start till a few years ago). She tried sleeping in my HHUE but found it was too big for her. We will try again but I hope to get her comfortable enough in her own hammock that we wont need to share. I have been using the ENO DN daily at the park or the house for lounging, reading in, or napping and for one person it's simple and fantastic. If I didn't say before in an earlier post I may use the ENO for my winter hammock.

KMACK
06-26-2012, 22:19
My fellow ENO fans I have strayed once again. I wanted lighter so I got a Grand Trunk UL added some Dynaglide whoopies and sold it after sleeping in just one night. I could hear my ENO snickering from my gear room. So I then got a Jacks R Better BMBH UL but have yet to spend a night in it. At times I think I can hear the ENO mocking the BMBH UL with taunts of "he loved me first" and "if I cant have him nobody will". Time will tell but I will never be with out my ENO.

Mikeinajeep
07-05-2012, 02:32
I love my dn and will likely never buy anything else. One and done!!!

dejoha
07-05-2012, 10:08
I'm a huge fan of open, gathered end hammocks for many of the reasons mentioned in this thread: versatility, comfort, weight, etc. I have several models of parachute nylon hammocks and put together this comparison chart:

http://theultimatehang.com/2012/07/parachute-nylon-hammock-comparison-chart/

I think some of the longer hammocks are more comfortable as they eliminate leg hyper extension and strain, but a lot of it is in how you hang it. All of these hammocks have identical fabric, many have identical stitching too (coming from the same factories in Indonesia). The one stand out is the new hammocks coming from Grand Trunk: they moved production from Indonesia to china and the fabric is lighter, softer, and bigger. The white hibiscus is a nice hammock.

I also agree that the side panels on the double are wasted fabric. I'm contemplating removing the too.

RedBeardHanger
07-05-2012, 13:02
My fellow ENO fans I have strayed once again. I wanted lighter so I got a Grand Trunk UL added some Dynaglide whoopies and sold it after sleeping in just one night. I could hear my ENO snickering from my gear room. So I then got a Jacks R Better BMBH UL but have yet to spend a night in it. At times I think I can hear the ENO mocking the BMBH UL with taunts of "he loved me first" and "if I cant have him nobody will". Time will tell but I will never be with out my ENO.

Heya... If you're looking for lighter, have ya seen the eno Pro? I just got one last week to try out. I like it well enough to be a spare! I currently use it as my new gear hammock! It's a whopping 8oz! Comes with UL beeners, that's it...

dejoha
07-05-2012, 13:45
Wow, that ENO Pro is a _small_ hammock. I'm 5'10" and can touch the ends when I lay in it.

RedBeardHanger
07-05-2012, 17:50
Wow, that ENO Pro is a _small_ hammock. I'm 5'10" and can touch the ends when I lay in it.

Hehe... Yea! (gear hammock) but I like it for quick rests... Haven't spent a night in it yet...

mbcruzin
07-07-2012, 19:37

I think mine does the the same thing when ever I look at a new hammock :lol:

KMACK
08-05-2012, 22:18
The ENO wins again. A three hour nap in my new BMBH UL resulted in too much shoulder sqeeze for my liking. Check the "for sale" threads soon for a great deal on a UL bridge!

bmcsteve
08-05-2012, 23:39
I too just bought the ENO DN, then joined HF and was starting to think I had made a mistake. I am glad to hear all the happy ENO hangers on here.

I do have one question though.... the main reason I bought the ENO was because it is big enough for two. When my wife and I go packing, we like to sleep together in the tent. I have wanted to try hammocking to help lighten the load a bit. So, the question now... Has anyone else had any experience "doubling" in the double?

dejoha
08-06-2012, 10:05
bmcsteve, welcome to the forums! The question of two people in one hammock is discussed ad nauseum here on the forum. Do a quick Google search with this string and you'll see plenty of threads on the subject:

"two people in one hammock site:hammockforums.net"

In short, unless you like to snuggle tight and close all night, you may not like it. The term "double" is marketing-speak to mean "this hammock is bigger than the single." Yes, you can cram more people in these hammocks, but you'll all fall into the center.

The other piece to note here that has probably not been mentioned before is the weight capacity for these hammocks. Ironically, the single, double, and triple hammocks each share the same weight capacity. You might assume that the larger hammocks would be built for more weight but they all share the same type of fabric.

I've often pitched my hammock in my living room and snuggled with my kids or spouse to watch a movie, but beyond that, everyone prefers their own space to sleep.

samsara
08-06-2012, 11:17
I sleep every night in an ENO DN and love it. It isn't my favorite hammock but I have different hammocks for different situations. Where my DN excels (at least for me) is lounging. It works for sleeping and is plenty comfortable for that but I can flop around in all sorts of positions and be comfortable in my DN while lounging.

While looking at hammocks online (I know... I have a problem :lol: ) I seem to remember reading the DN product description from ENO saying that it is comfortable for two to sit in. It stuck out to me that it said sit and not sleep. I would tend to agree. It would work great for two to sit or even snuggle/relax/nap but it would be a looong night for two to try to sleep in it. I also noticed that the weight limit was the same for all of them after looking at the chart. My next hammock will probably be a tablecloth hammock but if I buy another hammock I'm leaning towards a Ticket to the moon. Either way... my DN is and probably will always be a good go to hammock for me.

Dave

bmcsteve
08-07-2012, 23:19
Thanks for the info. I will search that string now.

bmcsteve, welcome to the forums! The question of two people in one hammock is discussed ad nauseum here on the forum. Do a quick Google search with this string and you'll see plenty of threads on the subject:

"two people in one hammock site:hammockforums.net"

In short, unless you like to snuggle tight and close all night, you may not like it. The term "double" is marketing-speak to mean "this hammock is bigger than the single." Yes, you can cram more people in these hammocks, but you'll all fall into the center.

The other piece to note here that has probably not been mentioned before is the weight capacity for these hammocks. Ironically, the single, double, and triple hammocks each share the same weight capacity. You might assume that the larger hammocks would be built for more weight but they all share the same type of fabric.

I've often pitched my hammock in my living room and snuggled with my kids or spouse to watch a movie, but beyond that, everyone prefers their own space to sleep.

hammock_monk
08-09-2012, 09:35
After seeing this post this morning: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=784169#post784169 (ENO DN on sale: $45.46) I ditched my plans to start with a DIY hammock. Once the DN arrives I can start making plans for DIY mods and accessories. Between the price of this hammock on sale and my busy schedule, it just did not make sense to start with anything else. Thanks to the contributors of this thread for convincing me that the ENO DN is an okay first hang!

Monk

PS: Now on to find a members' intro forum so I can introduce myself.

hammock_monk
08-09-2012, 15:37
Well, I just got a call and my order fell through. Seems two orders arrived at once and I was the loser. But maybe not: we changed the order to a deluxe for $10 more. I don't really want the extra 20 in width, so maybe I'll end up doing a mod on it, but it's under two pounds so it's still a big improvement over my weighty woven lounger.