PDA

View Full Version : Hammocking with sleep apnea?

TNhunter
01-06-2007, 14:45
I've been using a cpap machine for sleep apnea since '98. The only camping I've done since then has always been limited to tents or pop-up campers in a campground with electricity. I recently had to replace my cpap - this is a pretty small, much lighter machine. I've been researching people with cpap machines camping and think I can get the 12 volt power adapter for this machine and one of the Jump Start type battery systems to power it.

I've been reading about hammocks for over 2 years and last night finally made one - double thick Zhammock style. Has anyone got any suggestions of trying to hammock while being tethered to a cpap? I'm thinking maybe a gear hammock could be used to hold the cpap, Jump Start battery on the ground. Not sure about it though - just looking for suggestions.

slowhike
01-06-2007, 14:57
i don't think you should have any problems working that out.
what is the aprox size & weight of the different equipment parts you'll be using?

Just Jeff
01-06-2007, 15:53
You could hang it from the ridgeline, too. Biggest problem I see is keeping it clean and dry without it overheating...i.e., I doubt it would be a good idea to stick it in a stuff sack. But a big enough tarp should take care of that.

Ewker
01-06-2007, 17:22
TNhunter, I am on a cpap machine myself. If the hose is the normal length of 6' you shouldn't have a problem if you hang your hammock low enough to the ground. Do you have a humidifer that comes with your machine?

A cpap machine even the newest ones will weigh approx 5 lbs and if you have a humidifer add another 5-6 lbs plus the distilled water you have to use.

I wouldn't want to hang that from a ridgeline knowing how much one of these machines cost.

I backpack and never take mine with me. I just snore like crazy and camp far away from everyone else.

Have you tried sleeping in the woods without one? It is hard the first night because you are so dependent on the machine. By teh 2nd night you are tired, plus a few shots of Jim Beam and benadryl (sp) will help :).

Another friend of mine takes Ambiance plus a little whiskey to help him sleep. He said that worked on a 8 day trip in Glacier

The Breeze
01-06-2007, 17:39
I used the breath right strips before i finally had to go get cut ,and they helped a whole lot. plus tucking something under your chin to hold your mouth shut and the fetal postion helps alot.hope this helps because that stopping breathing thing is not what you want and it scares the begebes out of the wife but shes a light weight anyway:rolleyes: . weres the fun in that.:eek:

Blade
01-06-2007, 17:55
I've been using a cpap machine for sleep apnea since '98. The only camping I've done since then has always been limited to tents or pop-up campers in a campground with electricity. I recently had to replace my cpap - this is a pretty small, much lighter machine. I've been researching people with cpap machines camping and think I can get the 12 volt power adapter for this machine and one of the Jump Start type battery systems to power it.

I've been reading about hammocks for over 2 years and last night finally made one - double thick Zhammock style. Has anyone got any suggestions of trying to hammock while being tethered to a cpap? I'm thinking maybe a gear hammock could be used to hold the cpap, Jump Start battery on the ground. Not sure about it though - just looking for suggestions.

When car camping I use my CPAP machine connected to an extension cord and out the tent to a power inverter and then into my car cigarette lighter. No Jump Start battery needed; just have to be able to run the car for 15 - 20 minutes every couple days to keep the battery charged.

If you are looking at canoe camping or some other method away from the car, I've heard good things about the Jump Start batteries ... but that one will only last 2-3 nights of use without recharging. This is hearsay as I've not tried this myself.

For backpacking I believe that the battery weight is prohibitive if there are any other solutions, so I got fitted for one of the dental appliances, which studies have recently shown as effective for some apneas (YMMV). For me it works OK, but I need to sleep on my side and it does not feel as effective as my CPAP. On the other hand, I do feel better in the morning than when I just go to sleep and hope for the best. As a fringe benefit, it reduces/eliminates my snoring, which makes it easier on my hiking partners!

I alternate between hammocking when solo or the only hanger in a group, and going to ground in my Tarptent. When I sleep in the hammock I'm very comfortable, but if I roll over and end up on my back in the morning I still wake up with some of the apnea headache, even with the dental appliance. To prevent this I've used a stuff stack or inflatable pillow under my back, which helps keep me on my side (but can be a pain as it may move around at night).

dreyfuss1
05-30-2010, 00:33
I slept with my cpap last 4th of july... I was at a campground without Elec. I used the batt off my popup(which was at home). Since the humidifier takes AC and not DC there was no need for it to go with me. I took a plastic box and cut a hole in it for my battery cord and my hose to exit from. Sat the Batt on the ground and hung the box from my ridgeline. I used a bungy net to hang it with and made sure the hose had a good dip in between me and the Cpap to keep any rain from making an unwelcome visit to me or my cpap. It was not under my tarp but it stayed dry thru a very heavy downpour. The third day I hooked it (the battery) with jumper cables to the truck and let it run for awhile( not sure if it needed it but I didn't want to take a chance... I feel like I have been Run over if I sleep with out my Cpap.

Desert Reprobate
05-30-2010, 00:50
I've been on the CPAP since 92. The Jump Start with a converter has worked great for camping in a tent. For backpacking, I use a dental device that I picked up off Ebay (Search CPAP). That and a little booze does the trick.

opie
05-30-2010, 07:25
I was diagnosed with Apnea about 4 years ago. I fought with my machine for most of those 4 years, different sizes of masks, full nose and mouth coverage, just nose coverage etc.

Nothing worked to really stop my apnea or to stop me from snoring. So I went to a Dentist and had an "oral appliance" made. There are a couple different variations that all produce the same result. No electricity needed and it actually works. My wife says I dont make a sound now when I sleep and I sleep throughout the nite rather than jolting myself awake occasionally to catch my breath. I was skeptical at first.... But it does work for me.

The name of the system I have is Oasys (http://oasyssleep.com/). There are other manufacturers as well. I would highly reccomend looking into it, talk to your doctor and see if they can refer you to a dentist, if not yours, to see if its right for you. You do need the referral if you want your insurance to cover it, if they will cover it at all. Mine was $1750 and that came out of my pocket.

Rug
05-30-2010, 11:05
Am I the only one that it doesn't help?
I can sleep just fine with the CPAP machine, it doesn't bother me; but in the morning I feel no different then if I didn't have the machine.

I never 'jolt awake' from not breathing. My snoring is bad and annoying to my partner, but she is used to it. I sleep very deeply and soundly without it, and as long as I don't use an alarm i wake feeling well rested.

Who uses one, but it doesn't help?

Desert Reprobate
05-30-2010, 11:32
There is a difference between snoring and having apnea. With apnea, you stop breathing during sleep. Frequent bouts of stopped breathing can cause you to wake up although not completely. It leads to poor oxygen concentration in you blood stream. It can also lead to strokes or heart attacks. Apnea has to be diagnosed by a Dr and a CPAP may be prescribed. Not all snorers have apnea.

opie
05-30-2010, 12:34
Am I the only one that it doesn't help?
I can sleep just fine with the CPAP machine, it doesn't bother me; but in the morning I feel no different then if I didn't have the machine.

I never 'jolt awake' from not breathing. My snoring is bad and annoying to my partner, but she is used to it. I sleep very deeply and soundly without it, and as long as I don't use an alarm i wake feeling well rested.

Who uses one, but it doesn't help?

My cpap never stopped me from snoring, and I could never, ever, get a good fit around my face. Most of the time Id wake up in the morning with the mask on the floor and the machine still running.

I slept fine either way. It never effected my sleep.

Now.. I still sleep through the nite, but I dont snore and I can tell Im getting better rest.

Ive only woken up twice that I can remember where it felt like I had the wind knocked out of me. Once my wife was in the process of dialing 911 until I caught my breath.

opie
05-30-2010, 12:36
There is a difference between snoring and having apnea. With apnea, you stop breathing during sleep. Frequent bouts of stopped breathing can cause you to wake up although not completely. It leads to poor oxygen concentration in you blood stream. It can also lead to strokes or heart attacks. Apnea has to be diagnosed by a Dr and a CPAP may be prescribed. Not all snorers have apnea.

Correct... My current apnea treatment also prevents me from snoring. Just a side benefit.

Browny
05-31-2010, 04:08
Chronic snorer, mild apnoea.....

CPAP machine helps, but its **** hard to sleep comfortably with the mask, no matter what type I use. Glad to know it's not just me.

Cranky Bear
05-31-2010, 08:15
You could also look into a battery powered one?
Here is a link of one that I found: http://www.cpapwholesale.com/aeiomed-everest-cpap.htm
There are a couple of other's that are battery powered!
Not sure if this help's!!!!

wetware1967
05-31-2010, 21:58
Battery power for your cpap/bipap machine can be a tricky issue. Your pressure settings affect battery drain (higher pressure = faster drain). Ambient temperature affects battery drain (at temps below 50* your batteries will drain faster) DON'T plan on using an inverter to plug your unit into an AC type outlet. You lose way to much power through the conversion from DC to AC, and then your power supply changes the power to DC again... Spend the extra cash to buy the DC power cord made for your machine and connect it to your DC power source, no conversion, no power lost to heat in the inverter. And DON'T plan on wasting power to warm your humidifier, leave it home.

I've used a 400watt B&D electromate, and had it not make it through the night when plugging my biPap into the AC outlet (at VERY COLD TEMPS). But on a follow trip using the DC power, went the night with power to spare for the following night. I'm hoping to have the cash to try a 9.5ah battery, with a solar charger sometime in the near future, would love to be able to take my kids on a backcountry/trail type trip this fall.

Lastly, and I can't stress this enough. If you've had trouble sleeping with a machine, or you've decided to go with an oral device to 'open your nasal passages', PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE get a sleep study done, bring your device. They'll be able to tell you for certain if the device is helping at all, or can help 'dial in' your machine to get you the rest you need..... many of the oral/nasal devices stop the snoring, not the apnea. (be sure they show you, and explain, the results)

I'll get off the soapbox now..........

Ewker
06-01-2010, 08:35
wow an old thread that I posted on in 2007. I can happily report that I no longer us a cpap machine and my snoring went from a freight train to a soft purr now (so my gf says). I don't stop breathing anymore throughout the night. My sleep apena was from being over weight with all that fat around my neck. When I went from 250 to 185 my problems basically went away.

Hawk-eye
06-01-2010, 08:38
Good for you Ewker ... good accomplishment!

MikeN
06-01-2010, 14:30
Congrats, Ewker!

Cranky Bear
06-01-2010, 14:54
Great to hear Ewker!

Riverpirate
06-01-2010, 15:59
Mine too but it took a heart attack to get me there. Had the heart attack in December and was 213 now at 175 I no longer have apnea. I think doctors should prescribe weight loss instead of machines. It is better for you in the long run.

SlowBro
06-01-2010, 17:34
Mine too but it took a heart attack to get me there. Had the heart attack in December and was 213 now at 175 I no longer have apnea. I think doctors should prescribe weight loss instead of machines. It is better for you in the long run.
Amen!! Believe me I always prescribe wt loss for my patients, but since that is hard and a machine is easy they universally want a machine. It usually takes something major like a heart attack or other catastrophic event to convince them that wt loss might be a reasonable idea :confused: ( the ones that are lucky enough to get a second chance.) Just human nature I guess.:unsure:
- Mark

canoeski
06-01-2010, 18:18
Another friend of mine takes Ambiance plus a little whiskey to help him sleep. He said that worked on a 8 day trip in Glacier

Just a word of warning:
Combining alcohol with any prescription sleeping pill, like "Ambien" is just plain dangerous! You could wake up dead. And, with the respiratory depression of sleep apnea it could make it more likely. Even moderate to excessive alcohol alone could make sleep apnea worse.

Ewker: congratulations on overcoming the sleep apnea!:D You are correct, weight loss should be the first treatment. (easy to say, not so easy to do:( )