PDA

View Full Version : Homemade bugnet material?

TNhunter
01-06-2007, 21:31
I just made my first homemade hammock last night. I'm wanting to add a bugnet - I've read about using chifon. I found some bugnet type material on the $1 rack at Walmart this evening that might be just the right thing. Chifon has no stretch to speak of - this stuff is really stretchy - almost like a pair of panty hose. It is black as well. Is the no-see-um mesh stretchy or is it more like chifon?

Frolicking Dino
01-06-2007, 22:32
No-u-see-um is not real stretchy. It is more like chifon than pantyhose. The knit material you have works well for larger bugs (skeeters, spiders and flies), but not for the tiny gnats known as no-u-see-um's.

Coffee
01-07-2007, 01:33
I am in the same place as you. I am getting ready to start my bug netting.

I ordered some black noseeum from www.owfinc.com. I don't want any type of bug getting in there. Other than bugs I think the noseeum also lets less air movement through and is just a little heavier. I am waiting for the zipper to come to start it. What type of design are you thinking about? I am thinking of an oversized bug bizy similar to the one on Jeff's site.

Just Jeff
01-07-2007, 07:41
I've bought some stuff that may be what you're talking about. It looks just like noseeum but it's stretchy. I think it's more like a sheer fabric than the bigger knit like what FD is thinking of...if it's the same stuff, it'll work fine for a bug net, even against noseeums. Just depends on how big the holes are.

I haven't weighed mine but I'm pretty sure it's much heavier than AYCE's nanoseeum if weight is important to you. I'm still experimenting with how I want to do my bug net so it's fine with me...once I get it settled I might spring for the lighter, more expensive stuff.

TNhunter
01-07-2007, 09:23
I'm thinking of going with one I've seen from someone called Mirage - it is made a little longer with a zip cord running along the hem in the bottom. It is pulled tight so it snugs up against the bottom of the hammock.

http://www.peak.org/~webdawg/Hammocking/MirageHammockSystem/MirageHammockSystem-Pages/Image11.html

Any comments - for or against - that type bugnet? Looks pretty easy to make.

Just Jeff
01-07-2007, 10:03
I think you only need a small section of shockcord. Shockcord is actually pretty heavy so you should try to eliminate as much as you can. If you're concerned about snugging up the coverage, you can put lightweight elastic around important areas, then just have the shockcord at the entry point so you can open/close/adjust.

But having never actually seen his project (so take it for what it's worth), the design seems sound.

The Breeze
01-07-2007, 13:43
:) great botttom cover going to have to make me one for sure great work!!!:cool:

Frolicking Dino
01-07-2007, 15:23
I've bought some stuff that may be what you're talking about. It looks just like noseeum but it's stretchy. I think it's more like a sheer fabric than the bigger knit like what FD is thinking of...if it's the same stuff, it'll work fine for a bug net, even against noseeums. Just depends on how big the holes are.Could one of you post a pic of this material?

Just Jeff
01-07-2007, 16:40
It's packed away who knows where right now. Remind me when I get everything undone.

Spock
01-07-2007, 19:31
TNhunter,
bug net with elastic in bottom --- That's what I use. It works fine if the net is high enough from top ridge to bottom. Otherwise, it can slip over instead of under the hammock.

About shock cord... Consider using 3/8 inch elastic instead of shock cord wherever the elastic has enough pull to do the job. Bug nets don't need a heavy pull.