PDA

View Full Version : Wilderness Logics tarp question

Roadrunnr72
11-28-2011, 17:57
I know several have ordered tarps, and I now have a Tad Pole coming my way soon. I sent a PM to Marty about seam sealing the tarp. He responded that his do not come sealed and you really shouldn't have to worry about it because of the way they are made. I ordered seam sealer anyway.

What have others who have tarps from him think? Should I seal it? Has anyone not sealed theirs and used it in the rain?

Backtrack
11-28-2011, 18:23
I did the same as you. I ordered sealer and it is still in the pack unused. WL use a rolled type seam that has not leaked for me and many others. I have seen on here that several people with WL tarps have had them in very heavy rain unsealed and not one drop of water. Marty said he has had good luck with this seam on all of their tarps.

You will love the Tadpole. Several people im my backpacking group uses them year round. Great coverage for less weight. Plus the sale price was unreal!

enoorange
11-28-2011, 18:36
My WildernessLogics Big Daddy hung in my backyard under almost 18 hours of continuous rain without being seam sealed. It did not leak.

In my opinion you will not have to seal your Tadpole.

flatline
11-28-2011, 18:47
my tadpole is unsealed and has not leaked a drop. i do have an unused tube of sealer, i worry more about the tube leaking :laugh:.

photohiker
11-28-2011, 19:39
Well, I'm gunna swim against the tide here :) Don't shoot me!

I had the same advise from Marty, but I have always seam sealed my tents, so I decided to do the Tadpole with the supplied sealer (diluted in mineral spirits).

I then took it (without water testing it) for a week in Tasmania. We copped a lot of rain the first few days, as well as hail and wind. By the morning of the second continuous rainy night, a drip appeared above my head (nice way to wake up), and water was getting inside the optional tie-outs where I had apparently also done a bit of a slack job on the sealing.

Since coming back, I've given it the permatex (http://www.permatex.com/products/automotive/adhesives_sealants/sealants/Permatex_Flowable_Silicone_Windshield_and_Glass_Se aler.htm) treatment. That sucker isn't going to leak again.

So, I reckon seal it and if you seam seal it, do a thorough job of it, especially where the rolled seam meets the tarp I think that is where I missed.

Oh, and I recommend the side tie outs, (1 per side) they're great. :)

Roadrunnr72
11-28-2011, 21:21
Got a PM from Marty, my Tad Pole is on the way, now I need to figure out how to use it before X-mas :) Thanks for the responses, I will test it in the yard with the water hose, then decide if it needs sealing.

KSC
11-29-2011, 06:40
Glad to hear this tarp doesn't need to be sealed. I just ordered an Oldman Winter Tarp and I don't have a place to set it up and seal it in the cold weather.

Greenman
11-29-2011, 10:08
I have the Tadpole and love hanging in the rain..... I have never had a drop on me... Just love the Tadpole so very weightless.....