PDA

View Full Version : Newbie...keeping water from running in

emails898
05-12-2008, 12:20
Hey All

I am a Hennessey newbie. I've heard great things about the hammocks, but apparently one concern is that water can run down the supporting ropes right in to the tent.

I've heard that you can use metal rings to help this problem...but does anyone have any specific suggestions for where to put the rings...what kind to use...do you need two rings that interlock each other or will one do?

Thanks everyone

attroll
05-12-2008, 12:26
Personally I have never had this happen to me and I have slept in the rain. I have never heard of this happening to anyone else but that is not to say it doesn't happen.

Preacha Man
05-12-2008, 12:44
I have never had this happen to me, but others that I have hiked with have. This can be avoided by using drip strips on your support lines. You can buy them from Speer's, or you can make your own out of some kind of absorbent material tied to your lines. Hope this helps.

Dwight

dufus934
05-12-2008, 13:43
just tie a string to the line so the water will drip down and off that instead of on to you.

emails898
05-12-2008, 13:43
*** "run right in to the hammock"...not "tent"

Hector
05-12-2008, 13:47
Yeah, a drip string tied to the hammock line under your tarp will take care of any problem you might have in that regard. The Hennessey lines don't wick much anyway.

JayS
05-12-2008, 14:04
Slept 2 nights in rain in my Hennessy last month without problem. The second night my daughter's hammock (not a HH) had water running down into the hammock like a faucet was on. We tied drip strings inside the tarp and all was fine. Now the drip strings looked like a faucet running! So I tied some on the Hennessy just to be safe and left them on when I packed up.

The difference here was the type of rope. The HH ropes don't absorb or transfer water much but the rope for the other hammock was nylon from Home Depot and wicked the water right down the rope. No big deal - it's not made to keep water from running down it.

You can use almost anything to wick the water away from the suspension rope - a strip of flannel, twine, a sock (if it's dirty, consider this nature's automatic washing machine...). The trick is to tie it fairly tightly around the suspension line, especially if it is not very absorbent. You want to give the water every reason to run down the drip line and not the suspension line. The drip line only needs to be a couple of inches long but can be any length, really. Rings are put in the suspension line sometimes to make the water drip off the bottom of the ring. A drip line is easier to install, cheaper, weighs less and doesn't require any modification of your suspension.

Coffee
05-12-2008, 18:00
I didn't have this happen in my hh, until I added some straps. A twist in the straps took care of it.

Try this, hang the hammock, then take some water and pour it down the suspension line. Watch what happens. That should be the worse case senairo (next to death) for the water running down the support lines. If it stops that you will be fine.

tnhillbilly
05-12-2008, 20:07
Go to Walmart buy you a 79 cent pair of shoe strings for drip strings. Worked great for me in that nasty storm we had at the Mid Tn Hangout. tnhillbilly

neo
05-13-2008, 09:06
Hey All

I am a Hennessey newbie. I've heard great things about the hammocks, but apparently one concern is that water can run down the supporting ropes right in to the tent.

I've heard that you can use metal rings to help this problem...but does anyone have any specific suggestions for where to put the rings...what kind to use...do you need two rings that interlock each other or will one do?

Thanks everyone

it never happened to me when i used the henn hammocks.quit using henn hammammocks several years ago,much better hammocks on the market:cool:neo