PDA

View Full Version : would this keep me warm?

heescha
05-12-2008, 13:47
Walmart.com : Mummy Self Inflating Mat, 20" x 72" x 1" : Camping (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=7933621)

dufus934
05-12-2008, 13:56
It would keep you warm, but for that price check out some of these pads (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Category___73081__244). Maybe you can find something you like better for the same price and a little less weight. I don't know if its true, but the pad has a shipping weight of 3lbs and has a brass valve (which can't be light).

Ramblinrev
05-12-2008, 14:33
I had a terrible time with my self-inflating pad in the hennessy. It might be just me, but I found it did not have enuf structural stiffness to handle the curves and slopes of the hammock. It inevitably ended up crosswise of the hammock and did absolutely nothing to keep me warm that way. I got a ccf pad and that seemed to function better. The very thing I liked about my self-inflating, it's fluffiness, was what I believe made it impractical for the hammock. Just my experience ymmv

dufus934
05-12-2008, 14:38
ramblinrev,
I 've had the same problems with self inflating pads. The ccf pads seem to work better because they seem to have a little more ruberiness (word?) to them and they grip the hammock better. The problem is when they start being wrapped in ungrippy (another word?) fabrics like ripstop nylon.

NCPatrick
05-12-2008, 14:39
I used to use 2 ccf pads from Target and position them as a T with the cross part under your arms and shoulders and the long part down my back. That was cheap and worked okay, until I could afford an underquilt.

Take-a-knee
05-12-2008, 15:57
I had a terrible time with my self-inflating pad in the hennessy. It might be just me, but I found it did not have enuf structural stiffness to handle the curves and slopes of the hammock. It inevitably ended up crosswise of the hammock and did absolutely nothing to keep me warm that way. I got a ccf pad and that seemed to function better. The very thing I liked about my self-inflating, it's fluffiness, was what I believe made it impractical for the hammock. Just my experience ymmv

That was my same experience until I bought an SPE from Speer Hammocks, now it stays put and keeps me warm.

MamaCat
05-12-2008, 16:17
Don't want to be a downer about the pad, but they don't mention anything about R value or temperature rating and 3lbs is way (way way way) too much. Even a full rectangular Insulated core Big Agnes (20x72x2.5) is only 24oz at a 15degree temp rating. I don't think that wally world pad is your best option. Just like these other guys said -- your probably better starting out with 2 ccf pads.

heescha
05-13-2008, 10:11
ok, thanks guys...i think i'm gonna lean towards making an underquilt sometime, i just need the cash

Youngblood
05-13-2008, 10:45
Don't want to be a downer about the pad, but they don't mention anything about R value or temperature rating and 3lbs is way (way way way) too much. Even a full rectangular Insulated core Big Agnes (20x72x2.5) is only 24oz at a 15degree temp rating. I don't think that wally world pad is your best option. Just like these other guys said -- your probably better starting out with 2 ccf pads.

I noticed the 3 lbs too, but that was shipping weight. It is mummy shaped, 1 inch thick and uses die cut foam... all of which all low weight design features. I would guess that it is under 2 lbs. I've never seen that pad in WalMarts and was a little surprised they had one with light weight weight design features as those generally cost more... you give up R-value and arguably comfort for more cost, less bulk and less weight.

photomankc
05-19-2008, 12:32
I'll add that my most recent experiment with using a regular self-inflating Thermarest lightweight pad in my Clark was a no-go. Unlike my Exped the Thremarest was utterly impossible to move on. It slid on the fabric and was glued to me so no attempt at repositioning on it could be successful. I'll stick with the Exped. I will get a short for the warmer parts of the season and under-inflate.

I don't like CCF pads inside. I get sticky and feel too warm on my back.