PDA

View Full Version : Just bought my first DoubleNest

Atlas918
12-08-2011, 13:02
...Any tips or tricks from you crafty vets for a new hanger with a brand new toy?

TehNoff
12-08-2011, 14:45
Replace the suspension.

Then get a ridgeline and spend the time it takes to find your perfect lay. There isn't another hammock out there with fabric as comfortable as an ENO.

dragon360
12-08-2011, 15:03
Replace the suspension.

Then get a ridgeline and spend the time it takes to find your perfect lay.

+1 on this. Suspension replacement tends to lead to a much better relationship with your new toy!

Red Wing
12-08-2011, 16:40
I (a friend) cut off the stock suspension and put on whoopie slings, also took the compressor strap off with a thread cutter.. just a piece of fabric w/ end channels and whoopies.. weights CONSIDERABLY less now..

TehNoff
12-08-2011, 17:17
I (a friend) cut off the stock suspension and put on whoopie slings, also took the compressor strap off with a thread cutter.. just a piece of fabric w/ end channels and whoopies.. weights CONSIDERABLY less now..
Forgot something. I also took off the compression strap, however I did it very carefully with a set of scissors.

Red Wing
12-08-2011, 18:11
well feel free to cut off the rope int he channels and wrap your whoopies on the ends and you'll be rocking and rolling. I absolutely love this hammock and now the weight is reasonable.

mbcruzin
12-08-2011, 20:21
for now just enjoy the dang thing and worry about all the shiny stuff later. no really replace the suspension.

SmokeBait
12-08-2011, 20:47
Congratulations on the new Doublenest. Ditto what the others have said...replace the suspension. Then get out and and enjoy it's comforts.

Grasshopper
12-08-2011, 21:55
I'm looking to replace my suspension but its not that bad. Unless I was going on a long backpacking trip the weight isn't that bad

-FiveFiveSix-
12-09-2011, 00:15
I'm looking to replace my suspension but its not that bad. Unless I was going on a long backpacking trip the weight isn't that bad

its not just about the weight... its simplicitly... The abitly to raise your head, or foot end in about a second, with out undoing, or hooking, or dealing with knots is worth is worth its weight in gold... I would trade out the stock suspension for something like a whoopie sling even it wieghed more..

last1up
12-09-2011, 00:34
It's a great hammock, but it's perfect after changing to whoopies & adding a ridgeline.

Atlas918
12-09-2011, 02:14
What suspension would you suggest getting?

Also, how would one go about adding a ridge line to this hammock?

mattyg
12-09-2011, 03:35
i replaced my suspension with descender rings and a continuous amsteel loop making cinch buckles ten got a strapworks 30' simple sling of 1" polyester cut that in half for the tree straps. i cut the old rope off the ends and fished the loop through the end channel. or you can go whoopie slings and tree straps you will find lots of options here, you sure to like one. the cottage vendors are all great help and make fine products. hang your own hammock and have fun.

Steve D
12-09-2011, 08:53
i replaced my suspension with descender rings and a continuous amsteel loop making cinch buckles ten got a strapworks 30' simple sling of 1" polyester cut that in half for the tree straps. i cut the old rope off the ends and fished the loop through the end channel. or you can go whoopie slings and tree straps you will find lots of options here, you sure to like one. the cottage vendors are all great help and make fine products. hang your own hammock and have fun.

I recently did the same thing as mattyg. I ditched the heavy ENO carabiners a long time ago in favor of descender rings and straps but only recently switched out the stock ropes for continuous amsteel loops..I like it.

muddog15
12-10-2011, 02:40
I wouldn't "cut" the original rope if your going to do this. It's untied easy enough, then you can use it for something else or keep it for back up if you should ever need it.

muddog15
12-10-2011, 02:42
If your interested in the warranty you might want to check that also before doing any modification.

Atlas918
12-10-2011, 03:59
I promise to give you all a full report after my first hang in my new toy. Should arrive in the mail Monday. :D

RedBeardHanger
12-10-2011, 05:22

I agree with making it lighter… Take some time to use it the way it is and make your own decisions on what to cut or not cut. So far with my DN I replaced the suspension with whoopies and love it but I wouldn’t have done it without using it a dozen or so times stock out of the bag.
Before I mod ANYthing (Jeep, RC buggy, etc…) I always use it stock so I know how/what I want to do to it.
Does this make sense?
I love my eno… have fun with yours…! This is NOT a cheap hobby! :lol: You will eventually catch the DIY bug and GEAR bug! It’s great fun to learn all the ins and outs!

Red Wing
12-11-2011, 00:06
I agree with making it lighter… Take some time to use it the way it is and make your own decisions on what to cut or not cut. So far with my DN I replaced the suspension with whoopies and love it but I wouldn’t have done it without using it a dozen or so times stock out of the bag.
Before I mod ANYthing (Jeep, RC buggy, etc…) I always use it stock so I know how/what I want to do to it.
Does this make sense?
I love my eno… have fun with yours…! This is NOT a cheap hobby! :lol: You will eventually catch the DIY bug and GEAR bug! It’s great fun to learn all the ins and outs!

This is true and always rules supreme. HYOH.. but if you're interested in tips and tricks, I get mine from a jedi-master and am kicking myself I didn't listen to them a year earlier... Also, Dejoha put up a neat little trick to rethreading your whoopie suspension back through the end channels that looks to make it a cinch, if/when you decide you don't like the current suspension.

One good advantage of whipping your suspension with whoopies (don't think there's enough rope in the original suspension) is, I just hang my UQ suspension from those putting the shock cord over the knob, don't even use the S-biner, just put a knot inthe suspension at the length I needed. talk about KISS setup.

Now once you've got those whoopies on and have your hammock hanging, you can take those excess lines in your whoopies and tie them together and you have a non-structural ridge-line to hang your light, fan, pocket organizer or bugnet from it.

Just a few other thoughts behind some of the modifications people do to their ENO's. Or Gathered ends in general.

muddog15
12-11-2011, 07:09
So how many pounds are you guys saving with these modifications your making to an already light hammock? Yes, I'm being a smart a##.

Boomer
12-12-2011, 17:03
I have a blue ENO Doublenest. I went here: http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/show/1099697
and got blue whoopies.

To change them out, un-knot the double rope that goes through the gathered end. Pull one loop out (the rope goes through twice). Tie the fixed end of the whoopie to the ENO rope. Pull the whoopie through the gathered end. Thread the other end of the whoopie through the fixed end and then pull tight. Do the same on the other end.

Now, you'll have an easily adjustable hammock.

If you want to add an adjustable ridgeline, get one from ArrowHead & just put the whoopies through each loop on the adjustable ridgeline. You can then set your sag.

Atlas918
12-12-2011, 18:33
I am going to use the slap straps for now. I will wait until I have a handful of hangs under my belt before I start modding my hammock.

I like the concept of the slap straps; just clip into where you need to be. Easy, easy, easy.

I have also been looking at the Woopie slings as well as Grand Trunk Tree Slings, but we will see. Sticking with the Slap Straps for now :)

autolox
12-12-2011, 18:56
In case you haven't noticed, slapstraps = crapstraps around here...Many attest to them stretching a lot. I don't have enough experience with them to know.

I honestly haven't spent a night in my doublenest - It's my "daytime lay around" unit attached to chain from the roof trusses. I do have slapstraps, and I do use them if I'm chillaxin' somewhere and hanging...Other than that, I got a blackbird to spend the night in....But the doublenest certainly is a worthy of a camping trip and a good choice IMHO.

I did replace the carabiners with some Black Diamond ones. Took the compression strap and label off the stuff sack....Other than those things, it's "stock" and I like it...

Red Wing
12-12-2011, 21:22
for afternoon lounging they definitely work fine, but I'll garauntee you if you sleep overnight using them, you'll wake up a lot lower than you were when you feel asleep... this will also effect your angles and the comfort of your "lay", just a heads up in case you end up wondering what's going on when it happens. Nylon cordage stretches, that's why we use nylon hammocks, as well as being light. Polyester straps however wont.. we generically call it webbing here but it's a more straight forward approach to suspension and widely used on here.

I think Paul over at AHE has some webbing suspensions for sale at his site

Have you watched Shugs beginning hammocker videos on youtube? If not you should, got me a good hammock education watching that online class :cool:

tncamper
12-12-2011, 21:26
I've only got to set my doublenest up a couple of times. I used the slap straps and they're not joking about the stretch. I've also got whoopies from AHE but haven't set up with them yet.

Atlas918
12-12-2011, 23:27
I have set up my hammock, and I like being able to clip in using carabiners; If I fed webbing through some decender rings, would I then be able to clip into the rings using my 'biners?

Atlas918
12-12-2011, 23:28
Have you watched Shugs beginning hammocker videos on youtube? If not you should, got me a good hammock education watching that online class :cool:

I have watched Shug's videos. Quite the clown.

Steve D
12-13-2011, 13:08
I have set up my hammock, and I like being able to clip in using carabiners; If I fed webbing through some decender rings, would I then be able to clip into the rings using my 'biners?

You *could* do that but you're adding in an extra step and extra hardware. I use straps and rings with my DN and recently replaced my stock ropes with continuous amsteel loops with the rings attached to the loops The straps feed through the rings. If you don't want to replace your ropes just ditch the heavy carabiners and add a pair of rings to each end with a lark's head around the rings.

Atlas918
12-13-2011, 17:46
You *could* do that but you're adding in an extra step and extra hardware. I use straps and rings with my DN and recently replaced my stock ropes with continuous amsteel loops with the rings attached to the loops The straps feed through the rings. If you don't want to replace your ropes just ditch the heavy carabiners and add a pair of rings to each end with a lark's head around the rings.

Smart! I never even thought of that. Thanks for that idea. I will try it out stock for a while and look into that. Much appreciated.

TheHangingTechy
12-13-2011, 18:04
ENO double here, took me awhile to ditch the stock room through the channel. When i finally did and connected my whoopies through them, life was excellent. Also, if anything do as i did and first get some light weight carabiners and toss the steel ones. http://shop.whoopieslings.com/Nano-23-Carabiner-by-CAMP-USA-Nano-23.htm I have the orange ones that match my orange ENO and Orange 7/64th whoopies, connecting too orange tree sraps. Carabiners attach the tree strap to the whoopies.

Red Wing
12-13-2011, 18:08
ENO double here, took me awhile to ditch the stock room through the channel. When i finally did and connected my whoopies through them, life was excellent. Also, if anything do as i did and first get some light weight carabiners and toss the steel ones. http://shop.whoopieslings.com/Nano-23-Carabiner-by-CAMP-USA-Nano-23.htm I have the orange ones that match my orange ENO and Orange 7/64th whoopies, connecting too orange tree sraps. Carabiners attach the tree strap to the whoopies.

That orange setup sound pretty sweet.. older I get the more I like orange.. very unique for sure!

Atlas918
12-13-2011, 20:28
Carabiners attach the tree strap to the whoopies.

You use carabiners to clip into one of the holes instead of using a marlin spike?

I was wondering if this was posisble. The thing that scares me about whoopies is just laying over a knot/toggle; just seems a bit shaky to me. Though in my defense, I am a noobie :)

Boomer
12-13-2011, 22:52
You use carabiners to clip into one of the holes instead of using a marlin spike?

I was wondering if this was posisble. The thing that scares me about whoopies is just laying over a knot/toggle; just seems a bit shaky to me. Though in my defense, I am a noobie :)

Actually, my first time using a marlin and a whoopie, I ended up dumped on the ground. It comes back to Shugs advice - place the loop on the knot, not the toggle.

About the slap-straps, check out the reviews on the ''pro" straps on REI. Not very good reviews. I recollect being several feet above ground at first and then sinking throughout the day. I recall one night putting myself so high that I could barely get into my ENO. I woke up in the middle of the night, sleeping on the ground - due to the stretch. The slap straps are OK if you have them attached almost directly from the tree to the ENO - like a foot or two. But if you have the trees like 15' apart, then there's a lot of strap out there to stretch. I took mine back to REI as soon as I discovered poly straps.

The advantage of the whoopies is that there is no stretch. They weigh about half or 1/3 of the slap straps.

I got some poly bands from Paul at ArrowHead. Very nice stitching. I had loops put on both ends. I just put the strap around the tree a couple times and then put a lightweigh biner through the loops. Then you can quickly attach you whoopie loop to the biner. (Chuck the steel ENO biners - they corrode and the ENO loop on the gathered end is as heavy as the whole whoopie on that end).

The other thing you might try is to get a set of Python straps by Kammock (http://www.kammok.com/product-p/11003.htm). I have them and they're pretty slick - like twice as nice as slap straps. The only complaint is that they're a little spendy and heavy. You could maybe have Paul sew up some similar ones out of poly for cheaper.

Overall, you could make your ENO twice as easy to set up and sleep in for about $40 (new whoopies and straps).

Atlas918
12-13-2011, 23:09
[QUOTE=rodwolfy;609702] Actually, my first time using a marlin and a whoopie, I ended up dumped on the ground. It comes back to Shugs advice - place the loop on the knot, not the toggle.

I got some poly bands from Paul at ArrowHead. Very nice stitching. I had loops put on both ends. I just put the strap around the tree a couple times and then put a lightweigh biner through the loops. Then you can quickly attach you whoopie loop to the biner. (Chuck the steel ENO biners - they corrode and the ENO loop on the gathered end is as heavy as the whole whoopie on that end).

QUOTE]

My idea was to get new poly straps, and then do a marlin spike onto a light weight 'biner, and then clip the 'biner to the woopie loop.

What do you think?

Red Wing
12-14-2011, 09:37
I think it sounds like you'd be putting the weight on the toggle (in this case a biner) instead of the knot.

When you tie it up, stand with your back towards the tree instead of facing it. Sounds weird but you do get two different hitches depending on which way you're facing if you tie it the same way.

Even then though, you may want to check out a more secure hitch-knot.

Atlas918
12-14-2011, 12:04
After a few hangs, I am going to swap out the heavy 'biners for lighter ones, and then switch to webbing straps/descender rings; I just have to figure out how much webbing I need.

Red Wing
12-14-2011, 12:07
After a few hangs, I am going to swap out the heavy 'biners for lighter ones, and then switch to webbing straps/descender rings; I just have to figure out how much webbing I need.

sounds like a good idea Lats.. You can actually skip the biner altogether and attatch the rings there instead.

How are you enjoying your hangs?

Atlas918
12-14-2011, 17:10
Only have had a couple of hangs; they're going well. Nice way to relax before going to work. :D

autolox
12-14-2011, 17:58
took my eno double to Hatteras a couple of weekends ago on a "guys weekend". Actually took the wifes, mine and the blackbird...

We were hangin' out under the house without issue....As a matter of fact, a couple of the guys were laughing and talking about how there's no way they could be comfy in it...

One of the laughers fell asleep after he went at a bit of an angle....

Out on the beach, we parked two SUVs far enough apart to hang between them. I wish I had pictures now.....

We placed the slapstrap around the top of the rear door with the window open a little bit and laid the strap across the roof of the trucks. Worked like a charm....It was a group of 8, and everybody got a "hangin' chance" on the beach...

Quite a bit of fun!! We did setup the blackbird under the house as well - one fellow in the group wanted to see that one. He goes out with his sons boy scout troop regularly and is getting "ground worn" and has been wondering about hammocking...

Both of our doubles have Black Diamond biners now....Color coordinated of course....Need to do some poly webbing instead of the slapstraps....Have the bug nets as well...don't use 'em a lot, but do have 'em..

Congrats Lat!! Welcome to the club!!

Atlas918
12-15-2011, 13:44
To the group as a whole: I am going with desceander rings and webbing; how much webbing do I need on each side to make it work? I was thinking 12.5 feet on each side would be ample. Suggestions? Comments?

hang10
12-15-2011, 13:57
i went with 12 and wish i had done longer, but at the time i was doing straps into descender rings in which i clipped my biners. now that i have whoopies, as long as i can get around the tree to my marlin, i'm good. if you are just hanging from straps, i'd say 14 feet. but we have big trees up here. ;D

Steve D
12-15-2011, 14:19
To the group as a whole: I am going with desceander rings and webbing; how much webbing do I need on each side to make it work? I was thinking 12.5 feet on each side would be ample. Suggestions? Comments?

My straps are 15' and seem too long sometimes (I'll occasionally have 2-3 feet laying on the ground)...but...it gives me a lot of leeway if I can't find a good pair of trees 15-16 feet apart

Atlas918
12-15-2011, 18:46
@hang10, why don't we split the difference and call it 13 ;D haha

@SteveD, I saw the WBBB's have 14' straps, and they looked a little long once adjusted, which was why I was thinking somewhere from 12-13.5

Boomer
12-16-2011, 23:40
My first pair were 12'ers. I found that they were too small for the trees here in the PNW. I got 16'ers and they work much better. Think about where you're going to use them & the distance around the trees. In the woods around here, 10' is used just to go around the tree once!

By the way, if you get some straps from ArrowHead, make sure that you select the option to have loops at both ends. The extra loop doesn't hurt & it gives you an extra option...

teddy pendergrass
12-20-2011, 11:13
First thing I did when I got my hammock was ditch the heaver carabiners for light ones, this made a pretty noticeable difference. I then ordered this setup http://stores.tttrailgear.com/-strse-64/Tree-Huggers-Straps-Webbing/Detail.bok to complete my suspension system. I just got my first hang in my doublenest done this past weekend, and setting this up for the first time...in the dark. I was able to get it knocked out pretty quick. Adjusting the angle was a breeze too.

Atlas918
12-20-2011, 23:09
The other thing you might try is to get a set of Python straps by Kammock (http://www.kammok.com/product-p/11003.htm). I have them and they're pretty slick - like twice as nice as slap straps. The only complaint is that they're a little spendy and heavy. You could maybe have Paul sew up some similar ones out of poly for cheaper.

Overall, you could make your ENO twice as easy to set up and sleep in for about $40 (new whoopies and straps).

I see those are tubular webbing. Any problems with them stretching?

Bubba
12-21-2011, 08:24

The Python straps from Kammock are made of polyester from what I've seen so they shouldn't stretch.

TehNoff
12-21-2011, 10:54
Tubular webbing is used in slacklining, which puts WAY more tension on their lines than hammocks.

Boomer
12-21-2011, 23:16

I haven't had the opportunity to try them out. But, since they're poly, not nylon, I doubt that they'll stretch at all - even using tubed material.

Spogatz
03-26-2012, 23:21
Won't the slap straps stop stretching out at some point?

dkperdue
03-27-2012, 07:00
Doesn't make it lighter, but maybe more versatile.
I sewed a flat piece of rip-stop on the bottom, using the seam where the two color panels meet on both sides to use for inserting a sleeping pad for insulation.

toygun
04-28-2012, 14:21

Very good question.

However, I just bought the Marlin Spike Hitch Whoopie Kit from http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/show/2575039 since everyone recommends swapping the slaps out.

ernesthemmingway
04-28-2012, 19:29

A nylon expert might correct me on this but.... Nylon shrinks back to its original shape when the tension is let off of it, so the straps will keep stretching and shrinking f\over and over again forever. They might stop stretching at some point during the night while youre in the hammock, but the process will start all over again the next night

stumpknocker
05-13-2012, 12:11
I'm not a nylon expert either, but that is exactly what mine did every time I used them.
Got whoopies now, but I really wanted to like those slap straps. If I could find some from no-stretch poly they would work fine. I don't think the lighter users have much problem with stretch.

Boomer
05-14-2012, 01:43
A nylon expert might correct me on this but.... Nylon shrinks back to its original shape when the tension is let off of it, so the straps will keep stretching and shrinking f\over and over again forever. They might stop stretching at some point during the night while youre in the hammock, but the process will start all over again the next night

You're correct! The worst is when you knot two pieces of nylon together to get a longer strap. It stretches during the night. When the tension is off in the morning, it immediately tightens back up, making the knot next to impossible to undo! I about cut my straps when I did this one time. I had to work at one knot for an hour with a screwdriver.

Another option that has the adjustability of the Slap Straps Pro but with poly is the Kammok Python straps. I much prefer them over the ENO straps & they're very convienent. I got a set last year. I liked them so much, I got a couple more pairs two weeks ago. The perfect set of straps for my car trunk.

Boomer
05-14-2012, 01:44

You're correct! The worst is when you knot two pieces of nylon together to get a longer strap. It stretches during the night. When the tension is off in the morning, it immediately tightens back up, making the knot next to impossible to undo! I about cut my straps when I did this one time. I had to work at one knot for an hour with a screwdriver.

Another option that has the adjustability of the Slap Straps Pro but with poly is the Kammok Python straps. I much prefer them over the ENO straps & they're very convienent. I got a set last year. I liked them so much, I got a couple more pairs two weeks ago. They're a little heavy for backpacking, but, they're the perfect set of straps for my car trunk.