PDA

View Full Version : Claytor specification?

icecycle
12-09-2011, 21:02
Hello All
First post, but I have been lurking and searching for a bit. I am looking for a hammock for bicycle touring, and stealth camping--as I will be in remote areas, camping on crown land (no private property violation).

I am 58, have done a lot of camping, mostly back woods, canoe camping, as well as hiking, and motorcycle camping, though always in tents. I am a runt, about 5'8.5", but am in pretty good shape, even for a geezer as I am also a jogger and bicyclist, so I weigh in about 180lbs.

I tend to sleep very cold, and am cold most of the time, so I tent with a Thinsulate ground pad, and a good quality down bag even in early summer.

Okay, so I am torn, between the Hennessy, either the Expedition ($149.00) or the Ultra-light backpacker ($199.00), and the Claytor Jungle Hammock.

Now what appeals to me most about the Claytor is that the tarp size is big, it is in cammo --good for camping in the bush--, but most important is that it has a double bottom layer, which would allow me to put a pad in, which given everything I've read about hammocks, makes me think it will be necessary. But what concerns me is that some say it is more restricted, and also, here is the big question, that it has mosquito netting, rather than no see um netting. I also like the shape of the netting with the stick, and though I am still in the dark as to the alchemy of set up systems, as a former Scout leader, I figure I can work out different knots, and set-ups. Yet, my worry about the Claytor is weight and packed size. I have checked the web to try to locate a photo of the packed Claytor Jungle Hammock, but can't find one. Also its weight looks to be a bit over 3lbs.

So, what appeals to me about the Hennessy, is that it is advertised as having no-see-um netting. The bottom entry seems pretty efficient, the a-sym design makes sense to me, and there is a Canadian distributor, which given I live in Canada is a big plus. What is also a big temptation, is the year end sale, as they provide free snake skins, and in Canada at least, because they are out of CUBS, they will substitute the Scout, a $99.00 value... I saw a packed Hennessy Expedition and Ultra-light backpacker in MEC today, and they both looked pretty small. Finally, what seems superior about the Hennessy is that the suspension system is easy to put up, and easy to mod. Yet what puts me off the Hennessy, is I wonder how awkward a pad would be with the bottom entry?

The final question is about the fabric making up the hammock? It is hard to tell from the Claytor site whether the 244 Ripstock Nylon refers to the bag or to the tent. I am assuming it is to the bag. Is there a preference for one over the other?

Okay so lots of questions. I am posting here, in the Claytor section, as I am leaning toward the Claytor.

To conclude this is a great site, and I look forward to getting into the sport in the months to come.

BrianWillan
12-09-2011, 22:43
Welcome Icecycle

Just for a point of reference, Hennessy also offers a side entry zip model for almost all of their hammock lines. I think you will find that a large number of Hennessy hammock owners that are on this site have had a zipper mod done to their hammock.

There are several hammock hangers in the Ottawa area that you could possible meet up with. We are getting into winter hanging season and if you're not prepared for that, it may be spring before you can get to a group hang and check out a bunch of setups.

Cheers

Brian

icecycle
12-09-2011, 22:50
Thanks for the welcome Brian. A winter hang sounds like fun. I haven't winter camped for a few years. Where do folk tend to camp? Algonquin?

Gerald

BillyBob58
12-10-2011, 09:39
Welcome Icecycle

Just for a point of reference, Hennessy also offers a side entry zip model for almost all of their hammock lines. I think you will find that a large number of Hennessy hammock owners that are on this site have had a zipper mod done to their hammock.

There are several hammock hangers in the Ottawa area that you could possible meet up with. We are getting into winter hanging season and if you're not prepared for that, it may be spring before you can get to a group hang and check out a bunch of setups.

Cheers

Brian

+1 on that. And Welcome, Icecycle!
But even with the zip mod, you might not like a pad inside that single layer hammock. If planning to use a pad from the get go, rather than an HH Supershelter(HHSS), get the Claytor, IMO. Or better yet, for pad use, a JRB Bridge, though much more expensive. Or a Chrysalis, up there in Canada I believe.

But bottom line, there are very few people happy with a pad inside a single layer gathered end hammock, unless they have a product called a SPE, which you will have to buy used or make one.
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39610&highlight=Segmented+Extender

neo
12-10-2011, 11:04
:)everybody here that knows me knows that i swear by my claytor jungle hammock:cool:neo

DemostiX
12-10-2011, 12:25
Packed size also concerns this cyclist. Nylon goods-- rain fly's and hammocks -- compress to much smaller bundles than fabricators' stock stuff sacks. Size will be proportional to weight. Most everyone here would agree that stock ropes and straps can be replaced by 500kg+ rated 3mm Dyneema cordage to save bulk and weight on this and several other hammocks.

Bushcraftcanada.com will ship a $99 DD Hammock to you with free shipping. Just add tarp (and switch out suspension.)

icecycle
12-11-2011, 10:38
Thanks for the suggestion DemostiX, though when I checked the DD site, and added the numbers up, 930 g for the hammock, 230 g for the netting, and then 650 g for the 3x3 tarp, = 3.99 pounds, which isn't a weight reduction as the Jungle comes in at 3.3 for the hammock and fly.

The advantage I can see to the DD is that is wider, though it is also shorter than the Claytor, so this seems a toss up.

On one Youtube review, the reviewer complained about the poor job of stitching on the DD, whereas all the reviews of the Claytor seem pretty positive. I did read that DD has improved its quality control. Is this recent experience?

Finally, the issue of cost, is that the DD ends up being more expensive, once the tarp is added in to the Hammock cost. However, shipping with DD, from Bushcraft is free (value about $20.00), while Claytor will charge $20.00 for shipping.

Questions/questions?

icecycle
12-12-2011, 00:18
Hi
Tonight I bit the bullet and sprung for the Claytor Jungle Hammock. Why:

$150.00 plus $20.00 for postage for a hammock and fly is a good price.
The Claytor JH has a double bottom. This is a major consideration for me, given I sleep cold, and live in Canada
The camo --this is important for 'stealth' camping off the road on crown land. Though not really necessary if I move far enough back in the woods, the camo should ensure I blend in on those nights when I can't bicycle to the next settlement.
The camo tarp is 3x4 meters. I didn't read any reports of complaint that it was too small. That is not the case for some of the other hammocks.
The build quality of the Claytors is reported to be high, no loose threads, or bad stitching --we will see.
The overall size of the Claytor JH seems pretty roomy. It is more than long enough for me.
The weight of the Claytor with the tarp is just at 3lbs.
So there it is...:cool:

Cali
12-12-2011, 11:54
Congrats from a fellow Claytor owner. I changed out my suspension to whoopies and that ruduced the weight some. :)

canoebie
12-12-2011, 12:07
I too am a Claytor JH owner, have slept in it for four years now, more nights than not. I have a WBBB and have tried others, but come back to my JH. In fact, I am gonna do a DIY version this winter. I swapped out the suspension with whoopies and straps, check out Dehoja's thread on using a small plastic pipe for this process. Works well. I use mine primarily in northern Michigan and the bugs are big time especially May through July. This hammock has served as a nice respite for me.

I am a huge fan of the diamond tarp. There has only been one time, cold, fall weather with mist and 50 mph winds when I wished for more coverage, even then my down stayed dry. I am a big fan of the ease of this hammock, and tarp combined with its comfort, it is my home away from home. Have fun with it.

I will say that when I got mine, I noticed some fraying where the material connected to the zipper, so I ran another stitch the length of the hammock. That really seemed to strengthen it. I have also had to do some repairs on the tabs for the spreaders bars on the screen. No big deal, just vulnerable points.

Those are things I will address when I make my own. :lol:

icecycle
12-13-2011, 23:27
Tom got back to me promptly after I placed my order. The hammock will ship on Friday. I can't wait to set it up in the back yard and try a night out in the cold. I've pulled out my down bag, pads, so I am ready to go! Oh yes and my long undies?

icecycle
12-28-2011, 19:34
The Mosquito Jungle Hammock arrived today. What a tiny bundle. 3lbs 9.5 ounces with everything it came with, straps, and small bag with black rope lengths, I assume for the tarp.
:boggle:

Here it is on the scale:

http://i349.photobucket.com/albums/q389/ice-cycle/PC280030.jpg

Crocodile Sanders
12-30-2011, 00:28
That looks great.

icecycle
12-30-2011, 23:12
Set the hammock up today in the back yard. Apologies for lack of photos. It was -15c. Although I set up inside using different add ons, clips, and so on, outside, I found the basic stock setup the easiest. Can't figure out what the complaints are. Later, I napped for an hour in the hammock, using a couple of blue closed cell foam underpads, and a MEC down bag. I was quite comfortable.

My only complaint is that the hammock doesn't feel very wide, but then being inside a mummy bag doesn't feel any wider.

DemostiX
12-31-2011, 11:18
Just to get a feel for the effect of hang angle, lengthen the rope by more than you'd likely wind up with, say by 30cm / 12" on one side, or in total split between both. (I like to put marks on my line, giving a measure of how much change I am making.)

Then get back in, turn a bit to one side, stick out a knee and turn your body to a comfortable diagonal.

The tighter the hang --after a point -- the tighter the shoulder squeeze; so substantial relaxation shows you how much freedom from that feeling you can get. On a shorter and narrower hmmk, you'll run out length doing this, but unless you are yourself tall, this limit should not arise soon.

icecycle
12-31-2011, 12:18
Wow great advice DemostiX. I will try that.

Two shots of the hammock in the back yard...

http://i349.photobucket.com/albums/q389/ice-cycle/PC310004.jpg

http://i349.photobucket.com/albums/q389/ice-cycle/PC310005.jpg

I tried hanging between different trees, planted back in the days when I was a scout leader doing 'trees for Canada'. I paced it off and the optimal for the hammock seems to be about 15' apart.

I must say that I love the cammo tarp. From the house, looking to back section of the yard, it is hard to see it.

Beast 71
12-31-2011, 14:47
Like canoebie, I've had good luck using my Claytor Diamond Fly with my Warbonnet Blackbird. The Warbonnet Blackbird is much longer than the Claytor Jungle Hammock so the diamond fly will be plenty for the jungle hammock. Keep us posted on how it works out and welcome.

DemostiX
12-31-2011, 22:25
Angles are a challenge to discern from oblique photos. Well +-15 degrees.

But, it looks like your hammock is very taut, with the trees very far apart. Of course, if the beast is unoccupied and you are taking the picture, it will be entirely different when loaded.

You'll find lots in this forum on, well, pre-stretching of the stock straps, if you are using them. Much of that isn't stretching at all, but getting the constuctional slack out. (In fact, most folks on HF are truly hard-core, using straps or rope that have both minimal initial slack and almost no residual stretch or elongation).

icecycle
01-03-2012, 22:22
Although I hung the hammock up a few nights ago, with New Years and family, etc. I didn't spend a full night out, though I napped in it during the day. Well last night I headed out and spent a full night in the hammock. I had put a couple of blue underpads between the layers, then laid in an older synthetic fill bag on top of that. I wore two pairs of socks, polyprop underwear, poly overwear on my bottom half, two poly tops, a down vest, and a polar fleece for the top half, with a balaclava for my head, all snugged inside a down mummy. Needless to say I was quite comfortable. Woke only once at about 3:30 for nature's call, then back to sleep till 8:00. The wind catching the tarp disturbed my sleep from time to time, and I could sense it dipping down in temperature during the night. I am attaching a photo of the thermostat taken this a.m.

http://i349.photobucket.com/albums/q389/ice-cycle/P1030009.jpg

Oddly, though living in my house for the last 21 years, and having tented on the lawn in the summer, this was the first time I slept in the back treed part of the lot. It was wonderful... thanks to you folk on hammock forum for bringing to life a whole new experience.:D

icecycle
01-04-2012, 19:04
Is it appropriate to keep posting questions in my own thread?

Anyhow, the local MEC has hennessy snake skins for a good price, about $14.00 as I recall. Will my claytor jungle hammock fit into those skins? Will it fit in with the tarp????

Questions, questions?

canoebie
01-04-2012, 19:38
Not sure about fit, but you will want the tarp separate as it will get the hammock moist.

I-NT
01-04-2012, 22:40
I have a claytor like it very much is the hot weather king!! DD hammocks are very similar much of their gear is usable with a Claytor hammock and is available a reasonable price;)