PDA

View Full Version : DWR as a cheap alternative to Silnylon?

chezrad
01-09-2007, 05:33
Has anyone had any luck with, or heard of making a tarp out of DWR and spraying it or coating it with something to make it waterproof as a cheaper alternative to Silnylon? Is it possible to make your own Silnylon?

One of those questions that popped into my head while I was sewing a hammock in the middle of the night.

The Breeze
01-09-2007, 09:33
I think it was on speers home made web site where he or someone said you could mix 60 silicond and 40 gas or some type thinner and make a waterproofer add baby powders when it was dry hope this helps .ps this is crazy but I know this works because my dad done it for a long time .drip it in motor oil to make cow tarps for around the barn and it keeps flys away:eek: hehehehe:rolleyes:

headchange4u
01-09-2007, 11:55
I would be a little wary of a DWR as a truly waterproof option. Even the DWR on nylon is just a coating and suject to wear off, the same as any treatment that you would add to help water resistance. You would still just have a water RESITANT fabric. With silnylon the waterproofing is made into the fabric and will not wearr off after time.

neo
01-09-2007, 12:08
here is a link formula for making silnylon :cool: neo

http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/Silnylon1/index.html

neo
01-09-2007, 12:09
i am going to try it:cool: neo

http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/Silnylon1/Images/Teatment_large_4778.jpg

neo
01-09-2007, 12:19
i found this also:cool: neo

http://www.hammockcamping.com/Free%20Reports/Silnylon.htm

Coffee
01-09-2007, 13:27
Has anyone had any luck with, or heard of making a tarp out of DWR and spraying it or coating it with something to make it waterproof as a cheaper alternative to Silnylon? Is it possible to make your own Silnylon?

One of those questions that popped into my head while I was sewing a hammock in the middle of the night.

I'm not sure if it is really cheaper. If you are lucky enough to get sil from Walmart or just order it online, it is the almost the same price as DWR. I guess the cost saving would be from using $1 yard DWR versus $4 sil. But then you are still paying a price in terms of dollars and weight for the silicon coating.

chezrad
01-09-2007, 17:10
I guess you're right about the price thing. Again, it was just a thought. One more seam on the hammock and then I get to whip it!

Peter_pan
01-09-2007, 17:13
Buy the silnyl.... saving a couple of dollars on DWR is not worth life threatening risks with leaking tarp in 55* rain....which is one of the highest frequency Hypothermic killers.

Making it is not worth the mess, and risks again, if you are less than skilled at the process...and who is skilled on their first attempt at many things...

Pan

slowhike
01-09-2007, 20:43
i have to second what headchange4u & pan said.
i read some discussion on this else where & the conclusion i came to was that there's no way you can get a nice, even job at home like they do in the factory.
you would probably end up w/ to much (heavy) in places & not enough in others.
the mix of white gas & 100% pure, high grade silicon talked about elsewhere is for seam sealing silnylon tarps. and it works great.
the gas that thins the silicon, also temporarily softens the silicon in the sil nylon, so the newly applied silicon blends right in w/ what is already on the tarp.

The Breeze
01-09-2007, 23:37
ya im with you all you would have to make a big batch and drip the whole cloth and hang dry. plus what would you do with all the left over hazzard for he@@ no good just buy the good stuff .plus up date walmart says the get the dollar stuff ever tuesday move fast boy that was today.

Coffee
01-10-2007, 01:21
I saw online there are 15 walmarts within 20 miles of me. I am thinking that I am going to have to plan a local road trip on Monday and see what I can find. If anything else it should be interesting.

slowhike
01-10-2007, 09:33
if you can check the $1.00 bin in 15 wal-marts in one day, i'll bet you'll feel like youv'e done a day's work<g>.