PDA

View Full Version : top quilt-half of sleeping bag?

heescha
05-14-2008, 11:14
so if i was thinking about using a quilt instead of a bag, could i jsut take an old bag and cut it in half length wise, sew it shut and be done?

Ramblinrev
05-14-2008, 11:28
I have an old rectangular down bag. By old I mean 40 years or so. I just unzipped it. Last night I sewed a zipper stop about 2' up from the bottom so it doesn't unzip as I thrash around. But it has served me fine.

NCPatrick
05-14-2008, 11:32
so if i was thinking about using a quilt instead of a bag, could i jsut take an old bag and cut it in half length wise, sew it shut and be done?

Yes, that'll work. That was one of the first things I ever sewed. Cut off the zipper, sew yourself a footbox, done.

Splat
05-14-2008, 12:33
I just got done yesterday converting my old bag into a quilt. I removed the zipper, removed about 4"-5" from the width of the bag, and lastly kept the footbox. It's still a bit heavy, my guess would be around 2lbs, but it'll do for now.

Redtail
05-14-2008, 13:36
You might want it a little wider than just half, I don't know how wide your sleeping bag is. Somewhere around 48" wide is common.

Also, save the zipper, in case you ever decide you want to mod your HH to allow side entry.

Ramblinrev
05-14-2008, 15:14
As I just opened my rectangular bag... I have lots of room on the sides for tucking and side protection. I am not sure I would want it any narrower. Furthermore I left the zipper in tact in case I want to recover the sleeping bag. I am not a gram weenie.

NCPatrick
05-14-2008, 16:09
As I just opened my rectangular bag... I have lots of room on the sides for tucking and side protection. I am not sure I would want it any narrower. Furthermore I left the zipper in tact in case I want to recover the sleeping bag. I am not a gram weenie.

I didn't remove my zipper for weight savings, I just didn't want any sharp edges digging into my hammock...

Peter_pan
05-14-2008, 18:07
I didn't remove my zipper for weight savings, I just didn't want any sharp edges digging into my hammock...

Good point.... One that is definately worth reevaluating as ones hammock ages....especially if that aging includes much UV exposure.

Pan

Ramblinrev
05-14-2008, 18:33
I have a nylon zipper which has not done any damage to the very thin old fabric of the sleeping bag. Hopefully by the time it gets to that point I will be in a place where I can afford to replace some of my jury rigged pieces.

Splat
05-15-2008, 08:33

That, and the fact that the zipper would rub against my feet, also the marginal weight savings, were the reasons I removed my zipper.

heescha
05-15-2008, 09:20
thanks guys, do you think i'd be better off just taking the insulation out of hte sleeping bag and making a quilt?

Shug
05-15-2008, 18:28
thanks guys, do you think i'd be better off just taking the insulation out of hte sleeping bag and making a quilt?
Hey Heescha....
I took an old Kelty 45º bag and removed the zipper and hood, left the footbox and it works well. I thought it seemed to wide until I tested it and realized that you need that area for coverage and to tuck under yourself.
Saved a few oz.s but it works wonderful in a hammock.
Have a great trip in the Black Hills.
I am sending this from Pierre as I have a show here tonight. Wish I could head on out to the Hills or Badlands with my hammock for a few nights.........
Shug

slowhike
05-15-2008, 20:25

personally, i wouldn't start from scratch when all you need to do is remove the zipper (if you choose to do so).
the shell, liner, & insulation are already in place & probably just fine.

Coffee
05-15-2008, 20:35
Don't be afraid to cut it up. Just don't make it as small as I did on mine. Maybe buy a cheap bag and practice.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/homemade-gear-directions/383-sportsman-guide-sleeping-bag-mod-into-15-oz-top-quilt.html