PDA

View Full Version : JRB 8x8 tarp help needed

Perkolady
01-09-2007, 15:13
I could really use some tarp pitching advice...... (PLEASE !! :D )

This past weekend, I got to hang out with my new JRB 8x8 tarp w/ the self tensioning lines.

Weather- it POURED and was very windy!

I have a HH ULBAsym I used under the tarp.

I was wondering, about how much space should there be between the hammock ridgeline and the tarp ridgeline?

With this weather, should I be pitching as low and narrow as possible?
Or, should I raise up the height slightly and go narrower?

I found with the wind added, and the condensation that was coating the underside of the tarp, when the wind blew strongly, it was shaking off the moisture onto me in excess.

It seemed like it was hard to keep the tarp taught in the wind with the self-tensioners, although with the wind being rather strong, I don't know if that would have really mattered....:confused:

Should I have guyed out the other available loops too?

How do you recommend I pitch in these conditions???

After many years of "getting my system down" with ground dwelling, now I am back in kindergarten learning from scratch here ! :o

Perkolady

Touch of Grey
01-09-2007, 15:38
I have included my set-up below as you can see. It's not a JRB tarp but the idea is the same.

Back on Xmas Eve I had the tarp edges down tighter to the hammock and suffered a condensation issue too. Thus last night I slept in it configured like this. I set them ridgeline to ridgeline as yoou should notice in the last picture so that when I crawl my bottom in and the hammock takes my weight there is actually a couple inch gap that forms right now.

In case you have not read it before, tie your tarp seperate from the hammock so you can adjust for the gap when you weight the hammock. The first picture shows how I had the wings set. Ideally you should drop the windward side down as close as you can and leave the lee or windless side open so that air can circulate and remove the warm moist air of your breath and body.

Slept in this down to 30 degrees last night and only caught a chill about midnight which was easy to fix by adding a 200 weight fleece pull-over to my polypros and wool socks. I'll be out again in this tonight seeing as how the weather man says a low of 24-25 and that's close to what I want to achieve with this set-up.

Hope this helps!

TOG

hangnout
01-09-2007, 16:29
I use the JRB on a homemade hammock. I have found that using the tarp tensioners on the bottom corners and tying the ridgeline tight without using tensioners is better for me in windy conditions.

Doctari
01-09-2007, 17:05
Touch of gray's set up is mostly what I do, the colder &/or more windy I put it tighter (closer in?) yes, it seems to increase condensation, but I'm warmer.

Doctari.

Perkolady
01-09-2007, 19:51
Thanks for the responses :)
(thanks also for the pics, TOG!)

I only use the self-tensioners for the sides. I just use a regular cord for the ridgeline ties.
I also set the tarp up separately from the hammock, esp in the rain.

I will try that tip with the ridgelines starting out together.

I was wondering if maybe I had started out with the tarp a bit too high, which was adding to the spray. It makes sense that there's probably more movement the lower you go down the tarp sides, so I will try to tuck up under there !

I am thinking that maybe a lot of this kind of thing just comes with the territory of hammocking :)

*Another question I have-
How tight should I be making the ridgeline on the tarp? Should it have a "slight" amount of "give", making the ridgeline seem a bit on the "caternary" side, or should I just be tightening up as much as possible?

Appreciate any input here !!

Perkolady

Just Jeff
01-09-2007, 20:18
When it's windy and rainy, I hang the tarp separately and tie it onto the tree 6-10" below where the hammock is tied to the tree. I crank the ridgeline down as tightly as I think the material can handle, then do the best I can on the sides. I haven't been in a windy enough rain with the JRB to use the extra tie-outs, but I guess it could only help.

I also don't tighten the side guylines so much that the tensioners are fully extended. I leave a bit of elastic in the tensioners so they can absorb the wind deflection.

Perkolady
01-09-2007, 22:50
Thanks, Jeff !

I really like this JRB tarp. It has good coverage.
Once I got it centered properly, I also hooked it onto the stock tarp clips on my HH (helped with the tarp lifting in the upward wind), and it kept most of the rain from blowing in the ends ! :)

It was rather extreme with the wind and pouring rain. I must admit, it was a bit alarming :o

It's one thing to deal with one or the other, but having both to THAT extent, made me realize I had better learn all I can to keep myself and my gear protected :eek:

Perkolady

Peter_pan
01-10-2007, 10:02
JJ's post # 6 is all good info....

I add..

For a storm pitch I prefer the tarp ridge about 6-8 inches above the HH rifgeline and the side down at about 45 degree....peg it about6-10 inches beyond the 75-90 % extended STLs... this results in adequated ventilation and and best coverage, and without having to crawn on the ground to get in/out.

"A lot of wind" usually traces to poor site selection and / or poor tree selection.... First order of business is a sheltered site. Lee of the ridge line, behind boulders, behind thicket, in a draw, etc.... Then pick trees that align the hammock and tarp side to the prevailing and/or expected wind direction.

The extra tie out on the JRB 8x8 tarp are there for issues such as these if the wind is unavoidable or a true surprise event... they are the easiest answer to more tarp security...

Pan

Perkolady
01-10-2007, 13:10
Thanks a bunch, Pan !

I'll give it a try.

This trip offered no choices for setting up, so I am sure that was a major part of the problem (which I didn't even think to factor in until I read your post) :o

I was just thinking this morning.... I wonder if part of my problem is also that I am so SHORT, and usually have to set up my hammock pretty low- and the tarp follows, which causes me to have to stake out the sides a bit wider than should be.

Maybe I should pack a step ladder, lol :D

I was VERY grateful to have a Weather Shield set- GREAT gear !!! :)

Thanks again!
Perkolady

slowhike
01-10-2007, 15:18
Thanks a bunch, Pan !

I'll give it a try.

This trip offered no choices for setting up, so I am sure that was a major part of the problem (which I didn't even think to factor in until I read your post) :o

I was just thinking this morning.... I wonder if part of my problem is also that I am so SHORT, and usually have to set up my hammock pretty low- and the tarp follows, which causes me to have to stake out the sides a bit wider than should be.

Maybe I should pack a step ladder, lol :D

I was VERY grateful to have a Weather Shield set- GREAT gear !!! :)

Thanks again!
Perkolady

do you have to stake your tarp wider because it's reaching the ground at that height?
if so, mabey you need a more narrow tarp? just a thought.

Perkolady
01-10-2007, 18:19
do you have to stake your tarp wider because it's reaching the ground at that height?
if so, mabey you need a more narrow tarp? just a thought.

Hi slowhike,

No, not quite reaching the ground, but seems to me it's pushing close! :D

I was using my netless HH, and got aboard from the side, which is higher to start. I am going to try it with my regular HH, which I can hang higher, since I enter the low spot, and see if this does the trick.

I may indeed need something like a Cat tarp for this particular hammock (or any that I might make- hopefully SOON) :)

O well, I guess this is half the fun- figuring out what works for what...
That's a legitamate excuse to play with the hammock after all. :D

Thanks, slowhike!
Perkolady

slowhike
01-10-2007, 19:51
another net-less HH!
as far as i'm aware, i was the first one (at least from the hammockcamping yahoo group) to take the plunge & cut the netting off a HH.
actually, it was a friends HH. i guess he must really trust me to let me do that<g>.
we had talked about it for a while. he was like me in that he liked the asym cut & lay of the HH, but didn't like being closed in when it wasn't needed.
he still uses it & likes it that way.
brian (t-back) from florida removed his netting too.

Perkolady
01-10-2007, 21:08
slowhike,
Several years ago, I called Tom Hennessey and asked if I could buy a used hammock with no netting. Got a pretty good deal too.

I "thought" it was ASYM, but found out later it wasn't :(
Still pretty comfy though.

I LOVE having no netting !

This is why I am so anxious to learn how to hang warm and dry in the winter.
The season of no bugs is VERY short here in GA, so I want to get the most out of it :)

I would still like to get my hands on a BULAsym and be able to have THAT without netting...

O well, a girl can dream.....(and save her pennies, yessir !) ;) :D
I wonder if enough people asked Tom Hennessey for netless hammocks he might consider offering them ?

slowhike
01-10-2007, 22:14
[QUOTE=Perkolady;.
I would still like to get my hands on a BULAsym and be able to have THAT without netting...

O well, a girl can dream.....(and save her pennies, yessir !) ;) :D
I wonder if enough people asked Tom Hennessey for netless hammocks he might consider offering them ?[/QUOTE]

for some reason, i have my doubts, but who knows. maybe we need to let him know that several people are using his hammocks w/o the netting & some others might be curious enough to try it.
it doesn't seem like it would be that hard to skip that step in the assembly process. but i guess that's part of the HH signature... having the attached bug net.

Perkolady
01-11-2007, 11:51
slowhike,

One day in the near future when I have time to gab a while, I will call Tom or Ann and talk to them about this.

They're really great to talk to !

Years ago, I gabbed with Tom about my crazy under pad insulator thing that I was going to make (that was a complete failure) and he told me about what he was going to make (the SuperShelter!) We talked for over an hour !

It was pretty cool brainstorming and dreaming with the guy. :)

So, you never know- it just may be a possibility !
I figure, if we don't ask, we won't know- so I will ! :D

I will definately post about what he says when I do.

Perkolady

Coffee
01-13-2007, 04:22
I wonder if we could get Tom to join the forum. I would be interested to hear his thoughts on a lot of things.

blackbishop351
01-13-2007, 04:40
Are you kidding? If he saw what we do to his hammocks, he'd probably kill us all...:D

Coffee
01-13-2007, 04:52
Are you kidding? If he saw what we do to his hammocks, he'd probably kill us all...:D

Maybe, but then again he still got our money.:D

Did you ever cut the bug netting off of yours and install a zipper? I used your idea of putting the zipper on the netting before cutting it you told me at Hot Springs on my bugnet project. Made things way easier.

blackbishop351
01-13-2007, 05:11
No, I haven't done that yet...I'm concentrating on getting some must-do's finished before the Rogers trip right now. The bugnet doesn't bother me when it's cool out, so that'll be a spring project.

On the same line, though, I was thinking about making an overcover using the bugnet as a pattern once I detach it...just add a zipper to the cover so it lines up, and you could switch them out as needed.

Coffee
01-13-2007, 05:18
Cool idea.

BTW, nice to see I am not the only who doesn't sleep nights.

blackbishop351
01-13-2007, 05:43
I average 3-4 hours a day...this semester is pretty slack, but in the past that's all the time I could spare. You get used to it. About the only time I get a full night's sleep is when im in the woods :p

headchange4u
01-13-2007, 11:54
I have battled insomnia since I was about 12 or 13 years old. I can go a couple of days without sleep pretty easy. I also tend to sleep 4-5 hours a night and I am fine. I do get tired if I sleep to much.

The Breeze
01-13-2007, 15:30
my dad swears you can sleep when you are dead but I anit going to chance it I would probley get stuck with guard duty or something .:D

FanaticFringer
01-13-2007, 18:01
I wonder if we could get Tom to join the forum. I would be interested to hear his thoughts on a lot of things.

We may soon find out. I e-mailed him. His wife Ann said thanks for letting them know about this site. She said he is hanging in a hammock in New Zealand at the moment and she will forward my message to him.

The Breeze
01-13-2007, 19:51
now thats hanging. that makes my trip to south mt look really bad.

Perkolady
01-14-2007, 20:30
I went and hung out last night at a state park on Lake Hartwell, here in GA.

I purposely chose a site near the water for wind. It was humid last night here as well.

I hung my hammock higher than I have previously, AND I also hung my JRB tarp up a bit higher as well.

I found I was able to easily make the pitch more of an acute angle without it seeming to give me that claustrophobic feeling.

I found the sides didn't sag as much, and the self tensioners seemed to be able to work more efficiently.

So, since we have more rain heading this way, I will go ahead and try this pitch out in the backyard this week and see how it does.

I found I didn't have quite as much trouble reaching my hammock with my short self as I thought I would :D

I was also quite surprised at how much things stretched out and ended up lower in a short time !

So, now I know I really need to start out with things a LOT higher up !

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions- gonna give them all a try and see how things work for me.

Perkolady

FanaticFringer
01-14-2007, 21:08
I went and hung out last night at a state park on Lake Hartwell, here in GA.

I purposely chose a site near the water for wind. It was humid last night here as well.

I hung my hammock higher than I have previously, AND I also hung my JRB tarp up a bit higher as well.

I found I was able to easily make the pitch more of an acute angle without it seeming to give me that claustrophobic feeling.

I found the sides didn't sag as much, and the self tensioners seemed to be able to work more efficiently.

So, since we have more rain heading this way, I will go ahead and try this pitch out in the backyard this week and see how it does.

I found I didn't have quite as much trouble reaching my hammock with my short self as I thought I would :D

I was also quite surprised at how much things stretched out and ended up lower in a short time !

So, now I know I really need to start out with things a LOT higher up !

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions- gonna give them all a try and see how things work for me.

Perkolady

I did an overniter near there last weekend. The back end of Panther Creek. You go thru the town of Toccoa and ride beside the Tugaloo river.
It was crazy warm for January.

Perkolady
01-14-2007, 23:45
WAY too warm for January!
I noticed some birds with nesting materials in their beaks and some new green stuff popping up from the ground... not good...

And the BUGS !

I can't help but wonder if we're gonna get a nasty ice storm though.... UG.

FanaticFringer
01-15-2007, 17:12
WAY too warm for January!
I noticed some birds with nesting materials in their beaks and some new green stuff popping up from the ground... not good...

And the BUGS !

I can't help but wonder if we're gonna get a nasty ice storm though.... UG.

I just had a vision of an ice spear going straight thru my heart as I lay in my hammock during an ice storm. Better not go then.:D

Just Jeff
01-15-2007, 17:15
Yeah, but you'd be immortalized with the CSI fans...hammocker found dead in woods, sharp force trauma to the aorta, no weapon nearby, no footprints besides his own. Make a heckuva made-for-TV movie. I'd watch it.

slowhike
01-15-2007, 21:51
yep, CSI is one of my favorites. it would be even better with a personal connection<g>.

Coffee
01-16-2007, 00:52
That CSI would be like the hiker that died in the Nevada desert from drowning episode. Quality TV.

Bird Dog
01-17-2007, 11:04
yep, CSI is one of my favorites. it would be even better with a personal connection<g>.

The ones at my department are over rated. They take pictures, and collect prints, then send them off to a state lab to be analyzed (Dont think they ever have found a print on a gun or bag of drugs that I know of). The majority of them are not sworn and have no powers of arrest. Ahhhhh.....the glamour of TV.

slowhike
01-17-2007, 14:31
The ones at my department are over rated. They take pictures, and collect prints, then send them off to a state lab to be analyzed (Dont think they ever have found a print on a gun or bag of drugs that I know of). The majority of them are not sworn and have no powers of arrest. Ahhhhh.....the glamour of TV.

yep... that's hollywood<G>.

Grumpy
01-27-2007, 21:50
Glad to know i am not the only hammocking Police. Bird dog, who do you work for. My cousin is a reserve with Forsyth County and I am with Forsyth County SO in Georgia.

Bird Dog
01-28-2007, 23:32
Glad to know i am not the only hammocking Police. Bird dog, who do you work for. My cousin is a reserve with Forsyth County and I am with Forsyth County SO in Georgia.

Greensboro

Grumpy
01-30-2007, 21:28
Nice, my grandparents live in Greensboro. Stay Safe