PDA

View Full Version : how many hangers still have eno bag attached?

jons4real
12-16-2011, 16:27
So let's have it .... How many of us still have the eno storage bag still attached and how many have removed it. I'm just now considering removing it . I guess I just need pushed off this ledge, lol.

peanuts
12-16-2011, 16:28
i still have mine, but i did cut the webbing off of it....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

wwk10
12-16-2011, 16:32
I don't have an eno but that pocket looks perfect to hold a beer in a coozie when relaxing in the back yard.

peanuts
12-16-2011, 16:39
I don't have an eno but that pocket looks perfect to hold a beer in a coozie when relaxing in the back yard.

and it does(my choice is a mix bev):D

Roadrunnr72
12-16-2011, 16:40
I still have mine on, but I did cut it off the bug net.

jons4real
12-16-2011, 16:42

They really are lol hmmm I forgot about how often I do use that pocket.... Dang it now I'm back on the fence

jlb2012
12-16-2011, 16:44
first thing I do with a new ENO type hammock is to remove the bag (I usually buy Trek Light but its the same thing)

TehNoff
12-16-2011, 16:58
I still have the bag, minus the strap, but I don't use it as a stuff sack.

Beast 71
12-16-2011, 17:02
If I had a hammock with an attached bag I'd use it to empty my pockets, especially of sharp things, before getting into my hammock.

Bubba
12-16-2011, 17:36
I cut my bag off, removed the strap, cut a small hole in the bottom corner and use it bishop bag style.

DivaB
12-16-2011, 17:53
I still have mine....very handy, not to put my hammock back in, but for other odds and ends that don't fit in the ridge line organizer.

jons4real
12-16-2011, 18:39
I cut my bag off, removed the strap, cut a small hole in the bottom corner and use it bishop bag style.

I thought of doing the same thing but I wasn't sure if the bag would be big enough to good hammock Plus suspension

Boomer
12-16-2011, 23:35
I have mine. I keep the ENOs as kick around/in the park hammocks. I can throw my keys in the pocket and then flop the pocket over the top. It wraps the hammock around me (helps avoid sunburn, windchill and extra bugs).

Bubba
12-17-2011, 00:54
I thought of doing the same thing but I wasn't sure if the bag would be big enough to good hammock Plus suspension

I've used mine with two 15 foot straps and decender rings and they fit fine. It's definitely more snug but not hard to stuff everything in.

Triggerhpy
12-17-2011, 10:10
Keeped it on both my ENOs.

alphaskin7
12-17-2011, 10:13
I have mine. I keep the ENOs as kick around/in the park hammocks. I can throw my keys in the pocket and then flop the pocket over the top. It wraps the hammock around me (helps avoid sunburn, windchill and extra bugs).

I use mine in the same way: empty my pockets into it, toss it across my body and the hammock, and it becomes a great little weight of sorts to make your hammock into a cocoon.

Sprada
12-17-2011, 10:47
genius! This has now inspired me to set mine up and give it a try. Simple things in life.

dkperdue
12-17-2011, 10:59
I've used mine with two 15 foot straps and decender rings and they fit fine. It's definitely more snug but not hard to stuff everything in.

Same here.
Good for wallet, small 9MM, keys, etc.

DKPerdue
Proud Pound Hawg

pellet gun
12-17-2011, 11:19
I have mine still attached, but did cut the strap off...

the_watch_guy
12-17-2011, 11:52
took mine off, but still use it as a stuff sack

L.D. Cakes
12-17-2011, 12:00
I use mine in the same way: empty my pockets into it, toss it across my body and the hammock, and it becomes a great little weight of sorts to make your hammock into a cocoon.

Yep, That's what I do. I took a seam ripper and to the strap off though. Even gonna add a bag like that to my next custom hammock because it's so handy.

SmokeBait
12-17-2011, 12:24
I still have and use mine on both a SN and DN. I use the webbing too as I don't count grams and like the way it compresses to such a compact size.

Pipsissewa
12-17-2011, 12:50
first thing I do with a new ENO type hammock is to remove the bag (I usually buy Trek Light but its the same thing)

+ 1--first thing I did on my ENO style hammock. It just didn't make sense to me, since you don't furl a hammock up from BOTH sides towards the center! You start at one end and work your way to the other. (at least, I do) Granted, it would have been a handy gear storage pocket! So there's that... . HYOH!!!! :)

Rooster
12-17-2011, 13:03
I still have the bag attached with the straps cut off on my ENO.

I still have the bag attached to my Nano 7.

I did cut the bag off my Kammock. That bag is overkill.

ewhammock
12-17-2011, 13:04
I kept mine on. But as far as the packing - I always pack from the center out, and the ends are the last to go in. Really easy to deploy. And the wind chill cover works great with keys, small rocks, whatever.

Pipsissewa
12-17-2011, 13:22
I kept mine on. But as far as the packing - I always pack from the center out, and the ends are the last to go in. Really easy to deploy. And the wind chill cover works great with keys, small rocks, whatever.

How do you keep your hammock off the ground?

Hawk-eye
12-17-2011, 13:30
Still on both of them ... been meaning to remove the straps but ... I get distracted easily ... and too lazy to do it if I've actually got the hammock out and laying in it! :woot:

ewhammock
12-17-2011, 14:59

Take one end off, go to middle, stuff until ends, take other end off. Piece of cake.

bhinson
12-17-2011, 16:15
Still have mine cause it's just right to hold a nice cold drink

Atlas918
12-17-2011, 21:35
I still have mine on. It is really nice to hold misc items. Plus, that is one less stuff sack I have to pack because it has its own.

hangout
12-17-2011, 21:55
Mine are still attached, too handy for a water bottle and misc items. My daughter removed the strap for me(used it as a step to climb in the hammock the first day I had it and all the stitching came undone) saved me from having to remove it myself:). Also got rid of those heavy stinkin' biners, and replaced the ropes with Amsteel and whoopies.

jons4real
12-17-2011, 21:57
ok I am def going to get rid of the straps but keep the bag... you know I just use it alot... I am only taking the straps off because I'm going to get into a bishops bag.

fuzzie
12-17-2011, 22:00
Still on both of mine.
Buddy uses one, with contents of his pockets, flips it over for added wind/bug protection.
Son uses his same way, but he usually falls asleep before he remembers to flip it over.
Never thought about cutting the strap off....why?
Replaced both suspensions with whoopie slings and tree straps, because, well, it's just too cool to say "whoopie"!

jons4real
12-17-2011, 23:27
I figure for the straps because I simply don't use them. If I move into a bishops bag I will not us the stuff sack to store the hammock so the straps become useless and honest......I never thought they helped much any way

Boomer
12-18-2011, 03:11

I undo one of the whoopies from the end and with my other hand, I grab the stuff sack. I then proceed to stuff BOTH ends of the hammock (near the middle) into the stuff sack. I work my way out towards the ends. Finally, when I get to the two whoopies, I put them in last.

That way, anytime I want to hang it, I can grab both whoopies off the top. Tie one off and the let the hammock out as I move over to the other marlin spike knot.

RedBeardHanger
12-18-2011, 05:16
I do still have mine on… In the pic “Inside Hang” you can see it’s full. It’s nice to have my Nalgene bottle at my side. I will eventually get around to cutting the straps off since I use Snake Skins now, and don’t need the straps for anything.

muddog15
12-19-2011, 06:23
I have left mine on all three of my ENO hammocks.

birdygal
12-19-2011, 19:05
I have mine attached I use it to put my Kindle in after I finished reading , fits perfect and I won't roll over on it and break it

Cannibal
12-19-2011, 21:36
I have a single that has had the bag removed. It's the one I sometimes take with as a luxury item. A hammock I can use as a chair close(ish) to the fire without risking my sleeping hammock. I just take it on fun hikes, but figured there was no reason to carry the extra weight of the bag, so off it came. Genuine Draft's goto hammock is a Trek Light double, but she refuses to let me take the bag off because she likes to use it to store stuff while she's being lazy in the hammock. A fairly common occurrence, believe it or not.

Otherwise, I don't use my ENOs/TrekLights/TTTM hammocks as my primary hiking hammocks. When I do take them, it is on short one or two night hikes where the weight isn't a huge deal. Besides, Genuine Draft is right, those pockets are kind of handy. Just don't tell her I said she was right. :sneaky:

adkphoto
12-20-2011, 10:35
I took off the strap, but left the bag on. I find it's a great place to keep my head lamp and glasses.

Peace,
David

Cali
12-20-2011, 10:56
I left mine on, and I am glad I did, since you folks here have given me great ideas. As always HF is full of great information and ideas, and wonderful folks. :)

teddy pendergrass
12-20-2011, 11:02
I left mine on as well, it just seems so easy to be able to pack and as some else here said earlier is a nice place to store all the sharp pocket items before going to sleep.

Also buying it from REI with a lifetime return policy if it ever ripped I would feel funny about returning something like that after I had modified it.

grantizzle
12-21-2011, 23:20
i have the bag and the webbing still attached. smaller size is more important to me than weight.

dejoha
12-22-2011, 00:47
Take one end off, go to middle, stuff until ends, take other end off. Piece of cake.

This is how I recommend packing a hammock with attached stuff sacks: pack in from the center, leaving the two ends for last. I have a few illustrations of this in my book.

The advantage of packing in from the center is that you keep the hammock off the ground -- it's the whole point. After setting up your webbing straps and creating anchor points, connect one end of the hammock, then hold on to the other end and slowly pull out the hammock as you walk to the other anchor point. The hammock pulls out and never touches the ground.

You can see a video of this at about the 1 minute mark on my hammock challenge #1 video:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42392

Of course, there's more than one way to pack a hammock, this is just one that makes packing/unpacking a snap with sewn-in stuff sacks like those you find on an ENO, Trek Light, Grand Trunk, Byer, Planet Hammock, and many others.

Hooch
12-22-2011, 05:33
I still have an ENO, but rarely use it anymore. That said, the bag is still attached, but the webbing it cut off. The bag makes a perfect place to put glasses, iPod, headlamp, etc, etc.

CampThunderlips
12-22-2011, 17:23
After using my strap to tie off into a sort of "porch mode" it eventually tore off, however the bag is still intact. I am a side sleeper so I like to throw my hand in it and roll the hammock over me with my hand dangling in the bag. Also great to use for random things so I'll keep it as long as it stays on.

pb&j
12-23-2011, 01:25
Another vote for stuff sack intact. It is a handy pocket for keeping treasures of all sorts.

nateseviltwin
12-23-2011, 06:49
My first setup was ENO. Left the bag on the hammock but removed it from the netting and fly. Removed all the webbing. That stuff is heavy.

-Nate

jons4real
12-23-2011, 15:57
I jsut took off the strap today and I gotta tell you I'm glad I did. Not only did I lose what I thought was a useless item but ! I have now found a use for it. The strap fits perfectly over my z rest. I'm sure I could find something lighter in weight but I certainly like it better than the para cord I was using to hold it together.

Bubba
12-23-2011, 17:25
I jsut took off the strap today and I gotta tell you I'm glad I did. Not only did I lose what I thought was a useless item but ! I have now found a use for it. The strap fits perfectly over my z rest. I'm sure I could find something lighter in weight but I certainly like it better than the para cord I was using to hold it together.

I found mine useful for other things as well.

mrmike65
12-23-2011, 19:08
I have a DIY hammock that I attached a bag to. I find it very useful. I'm not sure why one would want to remove a handy feature like that.

muddog15
12-24-2011, 01:24
Lol, me either. I use mine on my ENO.

Sparrow
12-25-2011, 13:32
Kept the bag and cut off the strap as I found it only compressed the bag a negligible amount when compared to the weight it added. The strap I now use to hang things up the the gear closet.

Timish
12-29-2011, 00:27
I kept mine on. It's my mailbox.

Haytom
12-29-2011, 13:37
i still have mine, i plan on keeping it for as long as it will stay on...why cut it off?

TehNoff
12-29-2011, 15:25
Some of us use different stuff sacks.

guinesskid
12-29-2011, 20:06
Still got it & still use it. Holds my bear spray at night.

Grasshopper
01-02-2012, 22:58
I love mine. its holds odds and ends at night while I sleep

tygr
01-05-2012, 14:40
Still got it & still use it. Holds my bear spray at night.

That's a great idea. I may just have to sew mine back on.

deerfu
01-06-2012, 20:58
I love mine. its holds odds and ends at night while I sleep

this^^^^:D

Turtle Creek
01-06-2012, 21:41
Kept the bag and cut off the strap as I found it only compressed the bag a negligible amount when compared to the weight it added. The strap I now use to hang things up the the gear closet.

+1 on this.

Once I cut the strap off, I actually thought, "I could use this strap to connect extra junk to my pack" ... so much for saving weight.

ojdash
01-08-2012, 18:20
+1 on this.

Once I cut the strap off, I actually thought, "I could use this strap to connect extra junk to my pack" ... so much for saving weight.

did you use a seam ripper to cut the strap completely off? I was thinking of cutting the straps off my wifes singlenest but i don't want to damage the bag (i like to put things in there, flashlight, book, glasses, etc). I guess my question would be what is the best way to cut the straps off.

Turtle Creek
01-08-2012, 19:20
did you use a seam ripper to cut the strap completely off? I was thinking of cutting the straps off my wifes singlenest but i don't want to damage the bag (i like to put things in there, flashlight, book, glasses, etc). I guess my question would be what is the best way to cut the straps off.

I used the tip of my pocket knife to 'snip' at the stitching around the outer perimeter of the strap. Gave little pull on the strap, loosened thread, and repeated after another snip with the tip of my knife. It came off pretty easy without damage to the bag. There is an inner strap backing inside the pocket. I left that in place because it looked like the middle seam was the seam to the pocket itself. Still being able to use the pocket was important to me too. Hope this helped a bit.

patrickbdunlap
01-23-2012, 22:35
Still have both the bag and strap on both. It is nice for storage and its nice to put my glasses and flashlight in at night.

tygr
01-24-2012, 00:10
I had previously removed both the strap and bag. But recently sewed the bag back on for convenient storage of small items. Since I still use it to stow my hammock anyway, I figured it ought to be attached.

jons4real
01-26-2012, 08:57
I used the tip of my pocket knife to 'snip' at the stitching around the outer perimeter of the strap. Gave little pull on the strap, loosened thread, and repeated after another snip with the tip of my knife. It came off pretty easy without damage to the bag. There is an inner strap backing inside the pocket. I left that in place because it looked like the middle seam was the seam to the pocket itself. Still being able to use the pocket was important to me too. Hope this helped a bit.

I turned my sack inside out and removed the stitching from the inside of the nylon. Then once off the out side strap just fell off.

Silverpalm2x
01-29-2012, 07:19
I am not sure if I will ever remove the bag. I used my Grand Trunk and My SN this weekend. I clipped my nalgene off the straps and put my son's snacks in my bag so we did not crush them together in the hammock. My daughter in the Grand Trunk put her book/ snacks/ and other goodies in her bag.

I found a use for them outweighs the weight. :)

djminnesota
02-01-2012, 22:02
i keep mine on... very useful for holding various pieces of gear, and i find i use the compression sack all the time. after swaping the end rope/ carabiner with paracord/ d rings, ive been able to compress it to about 4"/4"/5"

wizardofhaws
02-01-2012, 22:36
I have kept mine on and see no reason to remove it. Great place to put my light and glasses at night.

hangout
02-02-2012, 12:13
I kept the bag on my double nest, it's just too handy to remove. For as much as I use it, the weight penalty is a non-issue. It's great for misc small items, and I usually store my pistol in there when I'm in the hammock. It keeps the gun concealed, and points the muzzle at the ground instead of at my chest like it would in a ridge-line organizer (seems like a no brainer). I did get rid of the strap and buckle, heavy and pointless. It just didn't make that much difference in how the hammock compressed. A bishop bag is easier to use anyway. I also removed the factory ropes and biners and replaced with whoopies.

dippyhippie
02-02-2012, 14:42
I kept the bag attached to store my glasses in at night.

drchip
02-02-2012, 19:08
I keep the bag attached for nighttime storage, and to store the hammock.

HURTHEART
02-11-2012, 21:21
Mine is still attached, I did not buy the bug net because of the bag dangling under the net. Too much rain and general wetness in this part or Oregon.

Popsmoke63B
02-14-2012, 09:12
Mine is still attached, for glasses and wallet storage at night.

Big Papi
02-14-2012, 11:03
still keep mine, use it for flashlight and waterbottle at night.