PDA

View Full Version : The DangerBird has landed

BlueSkies
12-21-2011, 22:12
I was going to hold off posting until I had photos and an overnight to report with, but I'm just so excited about this hammock ...

My shiny new DangerBird arrived today, and it is beautiful. PapaSmurf did an amazing job, and it really shows how much pride he takes in his work. Not a stich out of place, everything is thought out and done with great craftsmanship.

Pictures, videos, songs, diagrams, may a book ... all to follow.

Until then, thank you so much for my wonderful treat PapaSmurf.

Dos
12-21-2011, 22:37
...tapping foot . . . . :cool:

mbcruzin
12-22-2011, 08:00
Pics or it don't exist...:lol:

dragonfly.hiker
12-22-2011, 09:07
hahaha word to your mutha
Pics or it don't exist...:lol:

PapaSmurf
12-22-2011, 11:57
Removed to prevent an off topic discussion.

Shewie
12-22-2011, 12:17
Sweet looking ride, that cover looks well sexy :)

BlueSkies
12-22-2011, 14:35
Thanks PapaSmurf for getting those up, and while I mean no offense to whomever's DangerBird that is. Mine is so much better looking! :lol::lol::boggle:

The pictures are coming, I promise. Just have to get home in the daylight [pesky work always interfering with my hammock time.]

To give you a little hint about mine ... it suits my Forum name quite well ....

Porloff94
12-22-2011, 14:58
Sweet looking hammock. Enjoy the hang.

TiredFeet
12-22-2011, 15:29
Just saw the posts and photos of the Dangerbird.

Don't know if you are "selling" the Dangerbird, but if you are you might want to be veeeeeery careful. From what I see in the photos, your Dangerbird violates Hennessy's patents on the enclosed strutural ridgeline.

Even if you are not selling, but simply making and giving them away, you are violating his patent, which is illegal.

I don't know if he will come after you for the patent violation, that is strictly his decision. But you also have to consider that you are breaking the law in violating his patent and breaking the law is not something that should be done lightly.

There have been long and loud discussions before on HF about Hennessy and his patents and I DO NOT want to open that can of worms again, but I do not think that showcasing patent violation on HF is good PR for HF, whether you agree with the patents or not. Maybe the moderators will consider removing the posts and pictures so that others do not think that HF condones patent violation.

Just my opinion.:scared:;)

Dos
12-22-2011, 15:34
Tired Feet-

wouldn't that have been a more appropriately done through a mod or PM
rather than here?!?!? um...second thought, don't bother answering.

beautiful cover for sure!!

PapaSmurf
12-22-2011, 15:36
From what I see in the photos, your Dangerbird violates Hennessy's patents on the enclosed strutural ridgeline.

Thanks for your comments. I am currently researching this and reworking the design so that this will not be an issue.
I've removed the photos and the post.

TiredFeet
12-22-2011, 16:14
Tired Feet-

rather than here?!?!? um...second thought, don't bother answering.

beautiful cover for sure!!

Yeah you're probably right - didn't occur to me. If the mods want to delete my post, that's fine.

R00K
12-22-2011, 16:20
rather than here?!?!?

Agreed.

PapaSmurf is an extremely respectful and rational guy. I know from experience that he turns down projects that have morally questionable strings attached. The last e-mail I have from him simply explained that my idea wouldn't be ok with a specific vendor and that we would have to try and think of a different idea.

PapaSmurf
12-24-2011, 22:46
After a though re-examination of this hammock design and carefully reading through all the existing patents I could find for similar items, I believe that this hammock design does not infringe on any existing patent.

If any current patent holder believes that my design infringes on patents they hold for similar items, they have the option of exercising their rights granted to them by the patent. If it would be financially feasible for me to defend a patent infringement claim on this design, I would prevail.

I may, and most likely will, make changes to this design from time to time as each project I build is custom anyway. As always, I will share everything I do with the hammocking community here at HF.

HF is such a valuable resource for discussing and sharing ideas, helping each other, and learning new things from one another. Let's not spoil this with harsh words and a combative attitude. Let's just chalk it up to someone having a bad day and let's move on with the reason we come to HF.

Thanks
Randy Smith "PapaSmurf"

fuzzie
12-25-2011, 00:17
Amen!
Any chance I can order a custom DangerBirdXL, double layer 1.7, so my butt won't rip through it?

BlueSkies
12-25-2011, 02:46
I was able to get a few pictures with the DangerBird rigged up in the back yard.

The details ...
Double layer 1.9oz Black body
Zip Deployable M90 Blue overcover
Zip Deployable Noseeum
Awesome little blue bits all over. [Tie outs, built in quilt attachments at the ends of the hoods, Blue zippers]

I really can't say enough about how well this hammock is build and how darn comfortable it is. Sure it's a bit heavier then my ENO, but built in netting, and built in overcover, double layer comfort room, room for a pad make it well worth the ~42oz.

and fuzzie ... no way my butt is rippen through this thing.

A couple of shots of the D-Bird on the stand, a couple of close ups of the hoods that house the cover and net, with overcover deployed, with half cover & half netting deployed and then one of me enjoyin' the new hand that the MokeyBoy popped off for me.

[Oh and that tarp is a custom MacCat DLX in blue that Brian built up for me about 2 years ago, I might live in Seattle, but my skies are always blue ...]

jrs
12-25-2011, 20:41
well said Randy, 1st class, jim

bluegum mic
12-25-2011, 21:24
Looks amazing, great colours too.

And agreed. Well said papa smurf.

rip waverly
12-25-2011, 21:31
saweet. that's next level stuff!

Miguel
12-25-2011, 21:37
I can't tell from the pics...is the bug net and weathershield completely removable or do they just zip down to one end. I'd really like to order one.

Miguel

rip waverly
12-26-2011, 02:58
the dangerbird i have is designed so the top cover and bug net zip down and store in a bags at the head and foot end respectively.

they are always attached- and should be included in the total pack weight. they do not "zip-off"

blue skies dangerbird may be different, though.

Miguel
12-26-2011, 10:33
the dangerbird i have is designed so the top cover and bug net zip down and store in a bags at the head and foot end respectively.

they are always attached- and should be included in the total pack weight. they do not "zip-off"

blue skies dangerbird may be different, though.

Somewhere in my conversations with Randy it was mentioned about the possibility of having the bug net and/or the weathershield completely removable. I'm not sure if that would necessitate an additional zipper and if that would negate any weight savings gained by removing the shield. I always use netting so I don't really care about removing it. It would be nice to be able to remove the weathershield in warmer weather.

I'm not sure about it's length but it looks like MC Deluxe fits nicely.

It appears there is only one zipper. If so, how does that work with both the shield and bug netting? I am so lusting over this hammock!:boggle:

Miguel

PapaSmurf
12-26-2011, 10:33
Rip is correct.
The DangerBird's net and cover are attached and the zipper is non-separating.

Miguel
12-26-2011, 12:04
Rip is correct.
The DangerBird's net and cover are attached and the zipper is non-separating.

Now I'm really confused. :confused: Can anyone tell me what is a "non-separating" zipper? I thought that was the purpose of a zipper. I'm having a hard time conceptualizing how both the net and weathershield work off one zipper. I'm pretty sure the Clarks have two separate zippers for the net and shield. Could someone enlighten me or am I just missing the obvious? (probably)

Thanks, Miguel

PapaSmurf
12-26-2011, 12:48
I will be down in the workshop in a couple hours and I'll try to show you exactly how it's built.

BlueSkies
12-26-2011, 13:08
My DangerBird is the same set-up as Rip's. The weather shield and netting are each stored in either end of the hammock. They share the same zipper. So you could have it deployed half zipper and half over-cover, or any percentage one or the other [ie 80% overcover, 20% netting.]

I am not sure what it would do to the zipper design to have the over cover be removeable, but I am not convinced that the weight savings of a fairly small piece of M90 would be worth the hassel factor. This way I am always prepared for anything and could even see going out without a tarp in the summer, and if a shower was to pass by, the over cover would keep me mostly dry.

It's worth mentioning again, the design I think is spectacular in and of itself, but the workmanship of the hammock is just perfect. Not a single stich out of place, not a single loose thread, and every little detail is thought of.

PapaSmurf
12-26-2011, 14:46
Here are a couple quick photos to illustrate how the zippers work on the DangerBird.
A zipper half is stitched to the hammock, net, and overcover.
The zipper is simply put together sharing the zipper half stitched to the hammock.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/2/1/1/sharingzippers_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=16464&c=member&orderby=dateline&direction=DESC&imageuser=4211&cutoffdate=-1)

Note - Carefull planning of the zipper halves is very important. There is a right and wrong way! Before stitching anything, check and double check that the two halves will zip together properly. It's pretty easy to tell if you've got them backwards. See the following photos.

Zipper halves correct.
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/2/1/1/zippersright_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=16465&c=member&orderby=dateline&direction=DESC&imageuser=4211&cutoffdate=-1)

Zipper halves incorrect.
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/2/1/1/zipperswrong_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=16466&c=member&orderby=dateline&direction=DESC&imageuser=4211&cutoffdate=-1)

Miguel
12-27-2011, 00:24
Hallelujah! Between the two of you I thinkI have it. I am thinking of doing a thru hike this year and think this would be the perfect hammock to cover all weather conditions and still be fairly light weight. I'm considering a 1.5 single since I would plan on using an UQ while at the same time I'm concerned with durability. Welcome to the future with this hammock. :)

russmay
12-28-2011, 19:04
What are the dimensions of this hammock ?

rip waverly
12-28-2011, 19:14
What are the dimensions of this hammock ?

each is built to spec.

mine is 10' L x ~5' W of BWDD parachute material
weighs. 23 oz with whoopies and straps

StumpJumper
12-29-2011, 12:12
My bird should land tomorrow ;)

Single layer 1.5 from BWDD.

Stormstaff
12-29-2011, 13:22
Those are some very nice birds!

I'm talking with the blue fella about a "bird of a different feather" so to speak. /fingers crossed

jrs
01-01-2012, 21:15
I received mine last week and it is such a nice piece of work, 11ft by 5ft, black, what is especially nice with Randy's Dangerbird is there is nothing to add or redo or rearrange. It lays and has same feel and comfort as WL NO, unlike wbbb, no pressure on lower leg and is open. It comes just like you'd modify, which is what he does when you order. The detailing is excellent, i want to thank Randy for getting it completed and to me so quickly. jim

Miguel
01-01-2012, 22:33
So what kind of final weights are we finding on the Dangerbirds? I'm debating over the 1.1 dbl vs the 1.5 single.
Could you guys post some figures with or without the suspension. My understanding is that Papa Smurf is sending them with whoopies and tree straps.

Miguel

BlueSkies
01-01-2012, 23:39
Mine is 42oz in the stuff sack with the suspension. That being said, if I had to guess, mine has been the heaviest made thus far [papa smurf coud certainly clarify]. It is a double 1.9 ripstop and built a bit over-sized [just like me].

PapaSmurf
01-01-2012, 23:58
No exact weights because each one is custom. Here are a just a few of the previous ones.
SL 1.1 = 15.95oz.
SL 1.1 = 16.05oz.
SL 70d Taffeta = 23.30oz.
SL 1.5 = 26.75oz.
DL 1.9 = 42.80oz.

There's a lot of variables other than fabric that determine the final weight.
The weights above include hammock with net and overcover, whoopies, tree straps in the stuff sack.

jrs
01-02-2012, 12:01
PapaSmurf is rt on, mine is 42.7 with straps et.al., it's 11x5, dl1.9, it's mucho perfecto. all black.

Stormstaff
01-04-2012, 17:20
Just ordered a Dangerbird myself

jrs
01-04-2012, 18:15
I put elephant trunks and biners on end of straps, went to 45.3 oz, the Wslings are 1/8

Miguel
01-09-2012, 00:33
Just ordered mine. It's a 1.1 dbl, Dark Purple with Jet Black M90 weathershield! It's gonna be sweet. :)
Randy was great to deal with. He takes his time with you, offers lots of options, advice and has the patience of a saint.

Miguel