PDA

View Full Version : Religion and the Holidays on HF

Just Jeff
12-23-2011, 13:23
Hi all,

Just a friendly reminder of HF's Terms of Service (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25509) re: discussing religion and politics on this forum. It's not allowed.

Since the holidays are here and every year people start a gazillion Merry Christmas threads (and a few other holiday well wishes), I thought a reminder would help us stay focused. Applying the TOS to the holidays, it's ok to wish folks Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Solstice, Kwanzaa or whatever...but discussions about the religious aspects of the holidays will be removed. We're here to discuss hammocks, so if you have strong feelings about religion and the holidays, please find another forum to discuss them.

Obviously, applying this will be subjective no matter how hard we try to be consistent. To give you an idea of where we will draw the line, making a statement like "Keep Christ in Christmas" will cause the post to be removed. (Statements like that can remain in signature blocks as long as they're presented in a non-controversial manner and are not a topic of discussion in threads.)

Thank you for observing HF's Terms of Service, as you explicitly agree to by using our site. All mods are in agreement about this policy and it's not open for debate in the forums.

HF Staff

=====

IV. Political, Religious and Controversial Posts. Hammock Forums has a strict rule against political and religious posts. This isn't about First Amendment rights but about keeping this particular site respectful and on-topic. The moderators will delete such posts, often without notification to the poster.

This normally applies to issues that most members can agree are contentious...gun rights and carry laws, differences in religion, political elections and candidates, etc. As the site has grown, other topics have begun to generate more political posts...including military appreciation threads. No matter what we think about the soldiers, the military's role in society and the proper level of support for its members are certainly political viewpoints. If we allow HF members to post support for the military, it would only be fair to let the differing opinions be posted as well...and that would quickly degenerate into political discussion, and probably result in a heated and emotional thread that would spill over into the other subforums (as we experienced on whiteblaze.net before starting this site). Since HF's mission is to provide a friendly community to discuss hammocks, discussion of the military detracts from our primary objective. Therefore, we will consider threads about the military to be political in nature, and will remove them accordingly.

Such policies are not geared toward restricting anyone's freedom of speech and they're not made from any sense of political correctness. We started HF to discuss hammocks and we plan to maintain that singular focus as much as possible. All of Hammock Forums' mods are in agreement - no matter what we think about the military or its members, HammockForums.net is not the proper place to discuss it.

=====

Rain Man
12-23-2011, 13:43
Thank you.

Rain Man

DuctTape
12-23-2011, 20:01
Just one of the reasons HF is the best forum on the interwebs.

A big heartfelt thank you to all the mods and other HF volunteers.

bigred72
12-23-2011, 20:07
Thank you and Merry Christmas!!!

Cranky Bear
12-24-2011, 11:45
Understood sir, and thanks for all that you (and the other mod's) do! Hope you have a wonderful holiday!!!

Roche
12-24-2011, 11:54
Merry Christmas.

Law Dawg (ret)
12-24-2011, 15:15
Well happy generic Winter something or other and a pleasant 2012 CE or whatever for as long as you want to or don't. :D

dkperdue
12-24-2011, 15:24
Well happy generic Winter something or other and a pleasant whatever for as long as you want to or don't. :D

We can't even say that without the possibility it will offend our HF members in the Southern Hemisphere. The Australians and them are in the middle of summer.
I guess we also can't say "End of the year something or other" for those groups whose year starts some other time in the march of days

Jsaults
12-24-2011, 15:24
for the rest of us!

Jim

oldgringo
12-24-2011, 15:28
Keeping the egg nog in Christmas since 1968.:laugh:

Just Jeff
12-24-2011, 15:29
We can't even say that without the possibility it will offend our HF members in the Southern Hemisphere. The Australians and them are in the middle of summer.
I guess we also can't say "End of the year something or other" for those groups whose year starts some other time in the march of days

I understand this was probably tongue-in-cheek, but the fact is I don't really care who gets offended or doesn't. I just care that we don't discuss it here! :jj: The internet already has enough places to offend and to get offended.

I think the other mods would agree with that statement.

Law Dawg (ret)
12-24-2011, 15:34
We can't even say that without the possibility it will offend our HF members in the Southern Hemisphere.

Problematic but I did fix it a bit as to the calendar start with a BC (of the BCE) to go with the generic "whatever". I'm stumped about the Winter Vs Summer dilema...any suggestions?:confused:;)

Law Dawg (ret)
12-24-2011, 15:37
I understand this was probably tongue-in-cheek...

Exactly right Jeff, just attempting to keep it light. Seems to me that if we cannot laugh at this stuff then the alternative is not pretty.

Just Jeff
12-24-2011, 16:36
I'm with ya, brother.

sargevining
12-24-2011, 18:05
I for one will honor the spirit and recognize the desire for such a rule. Allow me to take this time to wish for Peace on Earth and Good Will towards all men, and encourage all of us to do so at all times of the year.

stevebo
12-24-2011, 22:01
Thanks guys for keeping us on target! I appreciate all the hard work put into this forum---it really is the best! (and have a Merry Christmas, if you are so inclined!) :)

olddog
12-24-2011, 23:33
Wishing all a Happy Holiday season.

hcho
12-25-2011, 00:20
Thank you. Peace to all.

Mule
12-25-2011, 00:26
Sound like good sound thinking to me. Thanks.

MrClean417
12-25-2011, 12:10
Problematic but I did fix it a bit as to the calendar start with a BC (of the BCE) to go with the generic "whatever". I'm stumped about the Winter Vs Summer dilema...any suggestions?:confused:;)

SYOS

Season Your Own Season

FLRider
12-25-2011, 12:25
SYOS

Season Your Own Season

With cinnamon! (Y'know, to go with the hot chocolate...) :lol:

Merry close-to-solstice celebrations to all!

canoebie
12-25-2011, 13:58
Canoebie wishes that, however and whatever you celebrate, you find life filled with meaning and opportunity.

Just Jeff
12-25-2011, 14:33
Don't get political here and you won't have to worry about the political correctness. Simple, really.

Jakerock
12-25-2011, 15:10
I deeply appreciate the position of the mods on all of this! Best, Jake

Pipsissewa
12-25-2011, 18:07
...Allow me to take this time to wish for Peace on Earth and Good Will towards all men, and encourage all of us to do so at all times of the year.

I'm sure you meant "men" in a gender-neutral way! ;)

--"PC" Pips :D --

P.S. I wish Sargevining, Just Jeff and all the other moderators and ALL my brothers and sisters on the forum the very best in 2012!!!

Roadrunnr72
12-26-2011, 09:24
SYOS

Season Your Own Season

I like SYOS

Season Your Own Steak----hmmmmmmm

Pipsissewa Quote:
Originally Posted by sargevining
...Allow me to take this time to wish for Peace on Earth and Good Will towards all men, and encourage all of us to do so at all times of the year.

I'm sure you meant "men" in a gender-neutral way!

--"PC" Pips --

I am sure he did- you know for men and women. I think it was all covered.:lol:

SoundMan
12-26-2011, 10:27
Moderators,
Thanks for keeping consistent with your mission statement. It maintains the integrity of this website. I encourage everyone to respectfully discuss religion, politics and other subjects in the proper forum...around a campfire!;)

Peace on Earth and Happy hanging!

sargevining
12-26-2011, 11:35
I'm sure you meant "men" in a gender-neutral way! ;)

--"PC" Pips :D --

P.S. I wish Sargevining, Just Jeff and all the other moderators and ALL my brothers and sisters on the forum the very best in 2012!!!

While I do deeply appreciate the sentiment and am humbly grateful for it, I probably should point out that I am the noobiest of noobs here and am not a moderator. If I were, I'd probably not do as good a job as is being done presently.

And yes, "men" was meant in all of its gender neutral, politically correct glory. I leave no-one out in my wishes for Peace and Good Will. I try very hard to follow an example that has been set for me, and would be remiss if I limited those wishes.

May everyone experience Joy, Love, and Peace on this Holiday and all days between this one and the next million and more.

fourdog
12-27-2011, 12:51
Don't get political here and you won't have to worry about the political correctness. Simple, really.

Couldn't say it better !

Everyone have a wonderfull season and up coming year with lots a time
with familey and friends getting outside!

Rain Man
12-27-2011, 22:28

Couldn't say it better !

Guys, not fussing at you two (I probably agree with your intended sentiment), but the way some use the term "politically correct," it's a cheap shot and a demeaning pejorative and has little to do with politics.

I'd suggest the term never see the light of day again, but know that won't happen in this world. Just know it's an offensive term.

Hope y'all had a Merry Christmas and look forward to a Happy New Year!

Rain Man

LazyCat
12-28-2011, 01:26
Axial Tilt; it's the reason for the season.