PDA

View Full Version : RAW fall down; go boom

RAW
05-18-2008, 21:50
But in a different way.

I headed to HotSprings, NC for a motorcycle gathering this weekend.
I was one of I think two hammocks in the campground.

http://steelgod.smugmug.com/photos/297247133_y2akK-M.jpg

Got some good riding in
http://steelgod.smugmug.com/photos/297249151_9WAXW-L.jpg

Found some neat spots
http://steelgod.smugmug.com/photos/297249791_3yi6n-M.jpg
http://steelgod.smugmug.com/photos/297250411_p8TSL-M.jpg

And then, this morning, I found a not so neat spot
http://steelgod.smugmug.com/photos/297237189_Bj3P6-M.jpg
That's a long diesel spill in the middle of a curve.
And that caused this
http://steelgod.smugmug.com/photos/297231870_LvmtE-L.jpg
http://steelgod.smugmug.com/photos/297235373_fcNca-M.jpg

And I was not amused
http://steelgod.smugmug.com/photos/297238072_6BFD8-M.jpg

But, I was totally uninjured (minus some bruises and sore muscles).
My bike is another story.

Other than that little incident this morning, it was a good weekend.
And the new NX-200 was very, very comfortable.

Preacha Man
05-18-2008, 21:53
I am glad that you are ok. You took some amazing pictures, and I am really sorry for your bike. I have been eyeballing the exact same kind ;). Hope that you feel ok tomorrow.

Dwight

Lost
05-18-2008, 21:54
RAW - I'm glad you're okay. When I read the title of you post I thought you had joined the hammock on the ground club! But this is much worse. Sorry your bike got messed up, but I'm thankful you're okay.

FanaticFringer
05-18-2008, 21:54
WOW!!!:eek: Glad to hear your o.k

slowhike
05-18-2008, 21:56
man... sorry to see that happen to your bike. glad you came out OK though.

RAW
05-18-2008, 22:08
Thanks, everyone.

This has me totally bummed out. Insurance will never give me even close to what I've got in the bike and accessories. :(

But . . . as y'all have noted . . . the important thing is that I wasn't hurt.
I'm very glad that I'm an ATGATT (all the gear, all the time) guy.
My kevlar suit did a great job. And somehow I managed to have the presence of mind to keep my helmeted noggin from bouncing on the pavement. There's not a scratch on the helmet!

I'm headed back to NC on Tuesday to go to my place anyway . . . so on the way back to Georgia on Wednesday . . . I'll be picking the remains of my bike up and bringing it to my dealership to await an insurance agent.:rolleyes:

And this hardly a week after a deer jumped out in front of my wife's car!
Sheesh. I'm almost afraid to leave the house in our remaining vehicle! :eek:
:D

peanuts
05-18-2008, 22:11
raw, glad to hear you are fine and not hurt. stay in this week:D

Youngblood
05-18-2008, 22:12
Take care RAW. It is great that your gear did what it did for you but a shame for what happened to your bike.

BillyBob58
05-18-2008, 22:27
Sorry about your bike, happy for your ( mostly ) uninjured bod. It's pretty amazing you could take a spill on a cycle and come out of it in that good of a condition! You must have primo protective gear, or you were simply blessed by God, or both!

NCPatrick
05-18-2008, 22:44
Sorry to hear about the bike, very glad you weren't hurt.

RAW
05-18-2008, 23:28
SorrIt's pretty amazing you could take a spill on a cycle and come out of it in that good of a condition! You must have primo protective gear

Yep, spendy kevlar weave stuff. Lots of armor in it too.
I'm gonna call the owner of the company tomorrow (he's who took all my measurements over the phone to make the custom jacket and pants) and thank him. They also have a policy that if the suit can't be repaired . . . they'll replace it. But I actually don't think the suit even really needs repairs. Just some scuffed, lightly abraded sections. Worst of the damage is a reflective strip that didn't hold up as well as the kevlar.

te-wa
05-19-2008, 01:08
d'oh! good attitude Raw, especially about safety. Sucks about the Beamer. I'll think of this incident whenver I mount the Dakar. Good to see you keep perspective.

slowhike
05-19-2008, 05:15
And this hardly a week after a deer jumped out in front of my wife's car!
Sheesh. I'm almost afraid to leave the house in our remaining vehicle! :eek:
:D

Like i've said before... "you're far safer when you get on the trail, than you were driving to get there".

Hooch
05-19-2008, 05:33
Ow, man. That's got to suck. I am definitely sorry that the road beat the crap out of your bike, but I'm more glad that you're ok. Bikes can be repaired and replaced, it's a lil more difficult for us human types. :p

TexasRT
05-19-2008, 07:22
Raw, sorry to hear about the faceplant and the damage to the GS.

What gear were you wearing?

RAW
05-19-2008, 07:34
I was wearing my Motoport Ultra II Mesh Kevlar jacket and pants, Sidi Discovery boots, and full-face helmet.

Waiting for my insurance agent's office to open so I can get a claim started.

Grinder
05-19-2008, 07:46
Tough break RAW.

Another testament to ATGATT. Good on ya!!

Insurance is pretty amazing, you may come out better than you think with a new bike like yours.

Miles of Smiles
Tom

headchange4u
05-19-2008, 08:09
I'm glad you are alright. It could have been a lot worse.

tnoisaw
05-19-2008, 08:47
That sucks! I'm glad you are ok but seeing the bike on the ground 'bout bought tears to my eyes.

RAW
05-19-2008, 09:15
seeing the bike on the ground 'bout bought tears to my eyes.

You and me both!

Iafte
05-19-2008, 09:17
Glad you are ok. As a fellow crash test dummy, I know what you are going through. Luckily I crashed on a $500 Yamaha. I'd hate to see me if I ever crash my Sportster.

clodbuster
05-19-2008, 09:58
Ouch! that smarts Clod

GrizzlyAdams
05-19-2008, 10:13
My father rode an "Indian" cycle in his early 20's. "Son", he later advised me, "There are two kinds of motorcycle riders. The ones who have had a bad spill, and the ones who are going to have a bad spill."

He survived his spill, and I'm glad to see that you've survived yours (in rather better shape than he did his. Leather was all that protected him).
Sorry about the bike, but glad you limped away from it.

Grizz

Gailainne
05-19-2008, 14:45
Ouch

Sorry to hear about your accident, but glad to hear your okay, better the bike than you mate, it can be replaced.

When I passed my motorbike test a couple of years back a couple of biking buddies took me to a store for riding gear, 650 quid lighter in the wallet later, we left, every penny well spent, as you say kevlar with armour is the only way to go.

Regards

Stephen

fin
05-19-2008, 16:43
Ouch! Good to hear you're ok. I spilled 15 years ago when an old man backed out of his driveway into me - never rode a bike again. Not because of injuries, but because I was always worried about the next old man with cataracts in his Lincoln who couldn't see 15 feet but was still driving. :eek:

Peter_pan
05-19-2008, 17:01
Raw,

Glad you are ok....

Pan
100,000+ beemer miles

RAW
05-19-2008, 17:01
My only other motorcycle accident was a few years ago. I was rear-ended by a really old fella in a pickup truck. He had a cast on his right foot and his eyes pointed in different directions.

I had no chance.

Bike was fubared, but again, I walked away mostly unhurt.

seuss
05-19-2008, 17:43
Sorry about the bike. But thank goodness the hammock wasn't damaged.

RAW
05-19-2008, 17:49
I know, right?

The hammock was in that soft-sided black bag strapped to the rear of the bike. I was very worried.

But it was all good. :D

Kanguru
05-19-2008, 18:21
Glad all turned out well for you. Bike can be fixed...or replaced. Speaks well for your safety gear.

RAW
05-19-2008, 18:48
Glad all turned out well for you. Bike can be fixed...or replaced. Speaks well for your safety gear.

Indeed.

p.s. how was the strom rally?

Kanguru
05-19-2008, 19:11
Didn't make it...decided to stay at Trail Days. Had fun there. Hung out at the JRB tent. Let me know when you might take that hike...Have a plan, maybe. PM or email me, getting off topic here.

catnip
05-20-2008, 04:03
RAW, glad you're OK, and I especially want to thank you for the pics and details.

I have a 19yo son with a brand new motorcycle license who's repairing a wrecked (not by him) motorcycle for his daily commuter. I think he's pretty cautious but I'll have him and his brothers look at this thread, very good for seeing a real world example, and not one just possibly made up by me (mom).

Love the ATGATT acronym. My husband is a rider, too, and has always worn a full-face helmet, boots, and heavy weight jeans. Florida doesn't require helmets anymore, but I do for my guys. :D

fin
05-20-2008, 04:58
I know, right?

The hammock was in that soft-sided black bag strapped to the rear of the bike. I was very worried.

But it was all good. :D

Thank God the Hammock survived!! :D:p:eek: That would have really been a tragedy!!

RAW
05-20-2008, 08:23
RAW, glad you're OK, and I especially want to thank you for the pics and details.

I have a 19yo son with a brand new motorcycle license who's repairing a wrecked (not by him) motorcycle for his daily commuter. I think he's pretty cautious but I'll have him and his brothers look at this thread, very good for seeing a real world example, and not one just possibly made up by me (mom).

Love the ATGATT acronym. My husband is a rider, too, and has always worn a full-face helmet, boots, and heavy weight jeans. Florida doesn't require helmets anymore, but I do for my guys. :D

Yep, road conditions are a huge part of the ride. On your next drive through any mountain area, pay attention to how much gravel, or leaves, or tree branches, etc accumulate in curves. And when you come riding through, just a little debris is enough to knock your front tire off of your line or cause your back tire to slide out on you. Motorcycling isn't the time for lapses of concentration! :eek:

There have been so many advancements in gear these days. My kevlar mesh suit is actually pretty comfortable on warm days. And the armor is flexible, yet stiffens under impact.
There are so many studies and reports out there about the damage that even a low-speed crash can generate. Tell your husband to start looking into some riding gear beyond his jeans and t-shirt. The tear-strength of denim is SOOOO low compared to what you'll experience in a crash. Even the reinforced stuff. Gotta go for something with high abrasion and tear resistance. Glad to hear they're using full-face helmets.

And to somehow bring this back around to hammocks . . . .

Here's a picture that was taken while I was away from my hammock.
Some of my buddies thought posing this picture would be really funny.
http://klr650.smugmug.com/photos/298148256_i4mD4-M.jpg

Yep, that's my Speer Winter Tarp that they're pretending to relieve themselves on.
:rolleyes:

headchange4u
05-20-2008, 08:48
That's pretty funny. I hope they were just pretending. :p

fin
05-20-2008, 13:05
That's pretty funny. I hope they were just pretending. :p

If they weren't pretending they must be lowly ground dwellers. :rolleyes:

GrizzlyAdams
05-20-2008, 13:08
I sure hope that tarp had its seams sealed up tight...from the OUTSIDE

Grizz

RAW
06-11-2008, 20:19
Just thought I'd update those of you who are interested.

I'm still haggling with insurance about my wrecked BMW.

But luckily, I'm able to wait them out and get what I want.

So, whenever we agree on how much they owe me . . . it'll just be going to replace the funds I used for this-->

http://steelgod.smugmug.com/photos/308438113_LaPFK-M.jpg

http://steelgod.smugmug.com/photos/309245341_wJcn3-M.jpg

A lot different than my BMW, but lots of fun!

NCPatrick
06-11-2008, 20:23
That does look like fun. Did you also replace all your used safety gear?

RAW
06-11-2008, 20:29
That does look like fun. Did you also replace all your used safety gear?

Actually, I sent my kevlar gear to the manufacturer . . . and all that needed repair was a reflective strip. The kevlar is scuffed in places, but the strength of the fabric isn't compromised.

I'm super impressed with it. And pretty happy that it doesn't need repair, because my insurance company doesn't cover protective gear. :eek::confused:

Just picked up my new luggage for the new bike . . . so hopefully I'll be riding the new bike to the next hang-out.

NCPatrick
06-11-2008, 21:10
Very cool. Glad you didn't have to replace all of it. Now you'll have more money to spend on hammocking gear.

DougTheElder
06-12-2008, 08:23
RAW, Sorry I missed all the back and forth on your initial post. So...sorry to hear about your misfortune, glad to hear about your good fortune, and I'm jealous of your new ride. It's been a long time since I was on the road... last two road bikes were a Norton Commando 750 and a rice burner, which I rode from Brunswick, ME to SC when I was discharged from USN. Like you said, riding requires constant concentration and, ultimately, that took the fun out of it for me. I'm glad you're back in the saddle again.

Lost
06-12-2008, 19:45
Hey RAW - I bought a scooter today. Wanna race??:D

RAW
06-12-2008, 20:38
Hey RAW - I bought a scooter today. Wanna race??:D

Hehe.

How 'bout this: I'll tell everyone you whipped my butt if you promise to wear protective gear while you ride your scooter. :D:D

Lost
06-12-2008, 21:07
sounds like a deal to me! I really did buy oe. Should be here in 3 weeks. Couldn't resist the 100 mpg vs 15.6 I get in my car! Will be great for going back and forth to work. Live close and mostly side streets!

Everyone at work is really laughing about it, but I think they'll end up jealous!:D

peanuts
06-13-2008, 09:36
good for you lost! what kind did you buy?

Bugzee Malone
06-13-2008, 11:59
Let us know how it stacks up against the BMW.
I'm the market for an off road tourer.
I was told that KTM stood for Kan't Tame the Mother!

I have an old K series beemer at the moment after selling my K1200LT.
I also have a Honda 250 Forsight scooter which I use for everyday commuting here in Japan. The automatic scooter is the bee's knees in traffic.

Oh Yeah .... Hammock ahh...Hammock, Hammock!:D