PDA

View Full Version : Time to Hit the Florida Trail

JPsax
12-27-2011, 16:15
Hey guys happy holidays, Wanted to start this thread cause Im going to start hiking the florida trail from South Terminus at Big Cypress to Lake Okochobee. Ive never hiked The trail though so I was hoping I could get as much Detailed info on the trail before I head out. most specifically in the Big Cypress area. I have camped in the area for years now but never stepped foot on the trail. Do the Snakes like to sit on the trail more than the camp sites? what "special" items should I take that would help on the trail specifically.

thanks guys hope everyone had a great holiday weekend!:laugh:

zukiguy
12-27-2011, 16:30
Not to hijack your thread but "me too, me too". I'm headed down with 5 other friends to do that same section the middle of January. I'm hoping the trail will be as "high and dry" as it ever gets but the bugs, snakes, and finding campsites for my ground dwelling friends will all still be a challenge. Any tips or info is welcome.

richtorfla
12-27-2011, 16:35
Snakes like to sun themselves on the white sugar sand. You might run into a few but from my experiences very unlikely. I use trekking poles so I recommend poles or some type of hiking stick. You can use them for balance, checking how deep of a waterhole you need to traverse and you can push or scoot things out of your way. I also like bringing a skeeter head net for the times they get thick when you are crossing swamping areas and the skeeters get thick. Good luck on your hike!

JPsax
12-27-2011, 16:47
Not to hijack your thread but "me too, me too". I'm headed down with 5 other friends to do that same section the middle of January. I'm hoping the trail will be as "high and dry" as it ever gets but the bugs, snakes, and finding campsites for my ground dwelling friends will all still be a challenge. Any tips or info is welcome.

Awesome! Im starting on MLK jr. holiday weekend so Around the same time Im guessing around the same time? My cousin and I are going to go together so hopefully we will all meet up!

aircamper
12-27-2011, 17:50
Your chances of seeing a cotton mouth on the trail in the Big Cypress are pretty good. I came two steps from stepping on one that was right on the trail while on a day hike north of alligator alley last month. This was right after crossing a wet portion of the trail. That was one of 3 cotton mouths my group saw that day, so do pay attention to where you step. I didn't see any at the camp sites... but we did see a lot of bear scat both on the trail and at the camps, so I recommend hanging your food. Ticks were an issue too. Besides the one I saw running up my leg, I also found hanging from my underarm the next morning, so bring spray and check yourself. Also, on an overnighter a couple months ago I heard a deep purring/growling sound just feet from my hammock in the middle of the night that I'm convinced was a panther.

Have fun out there!

JPsax
12-27-2011, 21:43
the wilderness is always welcoming!!*

is there a lot of bear activity this time of year?

*welcomness not guaranteed

aircamper
01-04-2012, 20:56
is there a lot of bear activity this time of year?

Not sure if there is more or less bear activity... they are always out there. I don't think you will have a problem with the bears though. Just keep and eye out for snakes on the trail and be sure of your footing. If its wet, it can be easy to lose your footing between the limestone and muck. I haven't been south of oasis this season, but my guess is its still wet down there.