PDA

View Full Version : i just don't trust the ridge line

heescha
05-20-2008, 13:31
anyone else out there who just doesn't trust the ridgline? mine already snapped (i'm getting the hammock replaced from hennessy) but i decided to replace the ridgeline with some 5 mm bluewater rope. does anyone know the length of their ridge line? (i dont' have my hammock yet)

Hooch
05-20-2008, 13:36
anyone else out there who just doesn't trust the ridgline? mine already snapped (i'm getting the hammock replaced from hennessy) but i decided to replace the ridgeline with some 5 mm bluewater rope. does anyone know the length of their ridge line? (i dont' have my hammock yet)
I'd be very cautious about using any kind of climbing rope for a ridgeline were I you. Climbing rope is, by design, meant to stretch. This means that your ridgeline will stretch as well. You're better off using something like Spyderline from APS (http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d279000/e276769.asp). Look in to Dyneema (http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d3000/e827.asp) also. My ridgeline is made of some that Cerberus gave me and I love it. Since you don't have your hammock right now, there is no need to rush to get ridgeline material. Wait untill your hammock comes in and buy ridgeline material then. That way you can measure it when it comes in and you know for certain how much cordage you need.

angrysparrow
05-20-2008, 13:37
There's no reason to fear a ridgeline, but you can certainly replace it with something stronger if you like. I'm not familiar with 'bluewater rope', but whatever you use just make sure that is non-stretching and capable of carrying 200-300lbs of force and it should be fine.

The length of your HH ridgeline depends on which model. I don't know the model lengths off hand, but it should be pretty easy to measure once you get the hammock back.

Good luck.

TN_Hiker
05-21-2008, 08:29
Bluewater rope is a static rope, but even then it is going to have 2-3% stretch

Hector
05-21-2008, 09:10
anyone else out there who just doesn't trust the ridgline?
No, it's just you. :)

Youngblood
05-21-2008, 09:38
I agree, it isn't the ridgeline you shouldn't trust, it is putting a lot of torque on your hammock suspension that you shouldn't trust. Your broken ridgeline was just the messenger that you put too much force on everything.

Tie off higher on the trees, put some initial sag on the hammock suspension and you will be fine. Most people find that works better all around because your hammock doesn't drop as much when you get in it either.

BTW, you can't sit on the ridgeline.

Hooch
05-21-2008, 09:45
BTW, you can't sit on the ridgeline.You can, "butt" it'd probably be pretty uncomfortable. :eek::p

Hector
05-21-2008, 10:54
BTW, you can't sit on the ridgeline.
But, Floss!

Youngblood
05-21-2008, 10:57
We got a comedy act going... :D

I guess I was the straight man, Hooch the setup guy and Hector got the laugh.

Bugzee Malone
05-21-2008, 12:27
I thought it was pretty good too:D
Do you do Weddings and Bar mitzvahs?

heescha
05-28-2008, 23:04
haha, very funny guys! *cough *cough but enough playing around!

do you guys think that blue water rope will work? i've used it to hang a hammock and i've slept in it now for 4 nights (i doubled it back so i had two ropes bearing the weight instead of one). but it seems to have next to nothing for stretch.

heescha
05-30-2008, 23:14
soooooooo, i got my hammock back and i'm not sure how i'm going to attatch the ridge line. the existing one "disappears" into the whipping and i'm not sure how to fish the new stuff through, any help?

T-BACK
05-31-2008, 08:20
I'm not sure that there is a way to "fish it through" the end knot. It is ,however, not (or is it knot) hard to untie the ends of the support lines and replace the ridgeline. Cut the cable ties that hold the little "socks" on the ends and then take several pictures of the knot as you untie it, replace the ridge and retie the ends. Two new cable ties ( I suggest colored, red for head and blue for shoe) to help save a little time during setup and you are all set. Maybe a different stock ridgeline is being used. I don't understand how these things are breaking. I used mine for about three years canoeing and hiking and never had a problem. I even placed my Ruger 9mm P95DC pistol in the ridge pocket (back when I thought I had a need to carry such a thing). It is not a light weapon and I am now a light packer. My point is that the ridge held up fine. Like I said, maybe the cord is differnt now. Good luck with your conversion.

slowhike
05-31-2008, 09:04
Two new cable ties ( I suggest colored, red for head and blue for shoe) to help save a little time during setup and you are all set.

I like that suggestion... quick reference when you're tired, wet & trying to get set up for the night<G>.

heescha
05-31-2008, 11:30
thanks guys, i'll try it out!

Ramblinrev
05-31-2008, 11:36
My Hennessey has different color prussics for the tarp attachment to the support lines. (Yeah I'm bucking the trend of seprate tarp lines.) The tarp loops match the prussic colors. It's kind of nice.