PDA

View Full Version : Clark NX-200 and MacCat Deluxe tarp

cavediver2
05-20-2008, 13:41
After viewing all the post about how the Clark tarp was not big enough and with out getting into a JRB tarp/tent for hammocks or the SWAT as they are starting to be called I bought a new MacCat Deluxe tarp and put it over my Clark NX-200 and my Clark N/A and took some pictures of the set up.....

After setting it up I found that the maccat tarp is not long enough for the NX-200 by about 3 foot and that would be pushing it i would want it much longer to cover the ends of the hammock.

Also I found that the maccat tarp is only about 3inchs longer on both sides. This finding really made me think that there is really allot of talk about the clarks being to short and needing more room under hammock. And I really cant see why or how 3 inch's is going to help you not to mention if you take the Clark tarp off you lose all the real coverage you might need in heavy down poors.

The Maccat tarp is a fine piece of work and I will not part with it but I will use it on other hammock's not on any of the Clarks.

I also have a 9X9 neo tarp that I already proved that it was not enough coverage on the NA and there would be no way it would cover the NX-200

Now haveing said all this I might and probably will try to use shock cord on the hammock it's self to hold up the netting and weather sheild and try the clark tarp just on it's own that way I can put it up much higher in the air but the only thing that will do is give me more head room outside the hammock and leason the coverage when it rains and then I would have to get out and make the mod's to keep me dry.

so that is it until I get another hair brain idea to try.

angrysparrow
05-20-2008, 13:59
Have a look at the MacCat Ultra. It has a full 12 foot ridgeline.

RAW
05-20-2008, 14:02
The MacCat might not be the best fit.
But man, look at the construction. That thing is top notch.

And people shouldn't forget that Brian has other tarp designs besides the MacCat. And he'll make you a tarp based on your design and requirements.:cool:

Hooch
05-20-2008, 14:11
Have a look at the MacCat Ultra. It has a full 12 foot ridgeline.Holy crap! That thing is huge! I like it. :D:D

cavediver2
05-20-2008, 14:11
I love the MacCat tarp it is made better than the NEO TARP
now I wish I had ordered the biggest one maybe next year
and I will use it for a kitchen.

But yes MacCat tarps are awsome

fin
05-20-2008, 14:25
I'll try to keep your NX-200 in mind when I do my mods to the XL Clark tarp. What is the total length you need covered? I'm working on a scale model for my Clark NA tonight.

cavediver2
05-20-2008, 14:39
I'll try to keep your NX-200 in mind when I do my mods to the XL Clark tarp. What is the total length you need covered? I'm working on a scale model for my Clark NA tonight.

at least 130 inchs long

Edit

WWWRRRRRRROOOOOOONNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGG

went out and messured the Deluxe and it's 130 inchs now so 150 inch's long might work

49 inch's at the head end and 40 inchs at foot end

The MacCat is 52 at it's widest point on both ends.

fin
05-20-2008, 14:48
so 150 inch's long might work

Wow! OK, I know you were interested in what I was going to do with the Clark tarp anyway, so when I get the model done with the mods, I'll let you know. I want the mods to be easy to use, and easy for anyone with a Clark XL to add or possibly remove (I'm not giving away too much yet - I have to play with a scale model first to see what can and can't be done.) Since you are a Clark fan as well, if it's OK with you, I may PM you to consult on some ideas as they come.