PDA

View Full Version : Bugnet for the DIY HH Asym

CajunHiker
05-20-2008, 22:03
So I built my first HH clone this past weekend (pics in the gallery). If I can ever locate some (cheap) ripstop I'm sure I'll be making more.
Bugnets will be a MUST living in southern LA. So... A few questions are in order.

1) Does anyone have bugnet instructions that will work with a HH clone with structural ridgeline and asym tie-outs?

2) What material is best? Is it rated in holes per inch?

3) Does coating with Permathrin negate the concern for the hole size/count of netting?

CajunHiker
05-22-2008, 09:27
Bump, bump.

headchange4u
05-22-2008, 09:53
I made a zippered bug net for mine. Velcro or Omni tape would work just as well. You can see how to measure and cut for the bug net in the DIY HH tutorial (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/documentation-directions/670-my-take-diy-hennessy-hammock-tutorial.html).

You may also find a way to drape a net over the hammock, but you have to take into account the tie outs. I use Noseeum netting.

nickelanddime
05-22-2008, 11:45
On the last few campouts I've been taking a different experimental hammock with me each time, I meant to make a bugnet like mirage's but wound up just monkeyfisting a pebble in the middle of a piece of noseeum on each end so that I could fasten it to the ends and just drape it over the ridgeline... honestly I think I'm going to get a piece about 6" longer than my ridgeline and run some ribbon around the edges to keep it from possibly falling apart and just go with that. I probably wouldn't do it that way if my hammocks were too wide though

T-BACK
05-22-2008, 12:52
I have hiked over 1000 miles with my hammock since October. I have used wedding veil material (tulle) as my sole netting. There is a fine and a courser mesh and I used the finer. It is VERY lightweight and allow better airflow than noseeum mesh. I never had a problem with noseeums. I used (2) 60" widths joined at the ridge and covered at the ends by my hammock skins.
As far as the permethrin, I have mixed feelings about it. I soaked my netting in 100% permethrin from the pesticide section and hung it to dry. Many nights I lied awake and watched the mosquitos dance across the net for minutes at a time. In the morning there would be many bodies on the ground below my hammock and any that managed to slip inside with me were dead on my chest. Does it work? Yes but it does not have the instant knockdown power that many people think it does. I'm sure that it is very effective against ticks because of the length of time they are in contact with a surface before they attach themselves. There is nothing wrong with using it and it is perfectly safe once dry. Just don't expect it to kill a mosquito (for instance on the hammock body) before it has a chance to bite you.

m3ng
09-22-2012, 09:40
I'm also new to hammock camping, but recently finished my DIY hammock. I intend to put asym tie-outs on it and a removable ridge line, and have been thinking about how to make an easy solution for the bug net.

Here are my requirements:
- Removable
- no zippers (ultralight concerns)
- can be set up under tarp when on the ground

I believe I have a decent solution and will draw up some sketches and post later. I just wanted to see if there are any experts that could chime in on bug nets on an asym hammock, all the ones I see are sewn in with zippers.