PDA

View Full Version : long distance kayaking with a hammock

neo
05-21-2008, 12:25
me and my younest son will be doing a 120 mile kayaking trip starting this saturday.on the harpeth river.its a one week trip.we have done it before on 2 seperate 3 and a half day trips.we will do it all in one single trip:cool:neo

neo
05-21-2008, 12:26
me and my younest son will be doing a 120 mile kayaking trip starting this saturday.on the harpeth river.its a one week trip.we have done it before on 2 seperate 3 and a half day trips.we will do it all in one single trip:cool:neo

link to harpeth river:cool:neo
Harpeth River - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harpeth_River)

NCPatrick
05-21-2008, 12:26
Sounds fun. I'm sure you'll post pictures. :)

neo
05-21-2008, 12:27
link to harpeth river:cool:neo
Harpeth River - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harpeth_River)

we will paddle from the old battery smelting plant near college grove tn to the cumberland river:cool:neo

neo
05-21-2008, 12:28
Sounds fun. I'm sure you'll post pictures. :)

i will post plenty of pictures:cool:neo

Lone Wolf
05-21-2008, 14:50
I also like doing long trips like the one your about to embark. Please take photos and share. I would be interested in sharing packing lists when you return to see if either of us takes something that the other had not thought of.

Good Luck on your trip.

neo
05-21-2008, 15:17
I also like doing long trips like the one your about to embark. Please take photos and share. I would be interested in sharing packing lists when you return to see if either of us takes something that the other had not thought of.

Good Luck on your trip.

i have checked out some cool kayak hammock camping pics in your gallery.i love kayak camping.its a blast:cool:neo

thatscguy
05-21-2008, 15:22
Good Luck on your trip!

and as my wife and I own a couple of 10.5' daggers we have already started talking about the possibility of combine hammock camping and kayaking so any helpfully hints would be great.

neo
05-21-2008, 15:23
Good Luck on your trip!

and as my wife and I own a couple of 10.5' daggers we have already started talking about the possibility of combine hammock camping and kayaking so any helpfully hints would be great.

i been kayak camping and hammock hanging 4 years now :cool:neo

neo
05-21-2008, 15:26
this hammock pic was taken on hotel island on percey priest lake 2 years ago:cool:neo

my jungle hammock - my tom claytor jungle hammock on hotel island on percey priest lake Hammock Forums Gallery (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=878&catid=member&imageuser=11)

neo
05-21-2008, 15:28
this is a pic of my yougest son in his hammock taken 2 years ago on a 3 and a half day kayak trip on the harpeth:cool:neo

my youngest son - my youngest son in his hennessey cocoon hammock Hammock Forums Gallery (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=877&catid=member&imageuser=11)

neo
05-21-2008, 15:29
stealth camping on the harpeth :cool:neo

stealth hammocking - stealth camping Hammock Forums Gallery (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=1683&catid=member&imageuser=11)

neo
05-22-2008, 11:58
i am ready to rock and roll:cool:neo

Tobit
05-22-2008, 12:14
You're not back yet?? :D

neo
05-22-2008, 14:37
You're not back yet?? :D

starting saturday morning:cool:neo

6 feet over
05-23-2008, 00:40
I’m picking up a new canoe later this morning. I’d like to canoe fish/hammock camp with my son this summer. I’m researching lakes or rivers I can do this on that are within reasonable reach of the Philadelphia area. With only myself driving, I’ll either have to have us paddle up stream and then come back down, or use a bracket and put on a small 3 HP gas motor to get up upstream and then drift back down.

I know there are several waters in the Pine Barrens area of NJ that would fit the bill, but I don’t know much about them. Anyone with any good info on launches or good ideas on where to do such a trip, please let me know.

Thanks guys, and have fun Neo,

Ramblinrev
05-23-2008, 02:32
My daughter and I are doing the West Branch Susquehanna River Trail in July. You are welcome to join us. Susquehanna River Rats is what I am calling the trip. July 14-21 or so.

neo
05-23-2008, 06:13
My daughter and I are doing the West Branch Susquehanna River Trail in July. You are welcome to join us. Susquehanna River Rats is what I am calling the trip. July 14-21 or so.

I’m picking up a new canoe later this morning. I’d like to canoe fish/hammock camp with my son this summer. I’m researching lakes or rivers I can do this on that are within reasonable reach of the Philadelphia area. With only myself driving, I’ll either have to have us paddle up stream and then come back down, or use a bracket and put on a small 3 HP gas motor to get up upstream and then drift back down.

I know there are several waters in the Pine Barrens area of NJ that would fit the bill, but I don’t know much about them. Anyone with any good info on launches or good ideas on where to do such a trip, please let me know.

sounds like you guys need to hook up.you to can shuttle each other.hope you guys have a great trips this summer also:cool:neo

neo
05-23-2008, 06:20

check these links out:cool:neo

Susquehanna River Trail - Home page (http://www.susquehannarivertrail.org/)

New Susquehanna Water Trail to Kick Off with River Regatta - Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay (http://www.acb-online.org/printer.cfm?cftemp=include_press.cfm&CONTENT_ID=38)

DGrav
05-23-2008, 07:58

I live just north of Philly on the Neshaminy Creek and will be purchasing a Yak in the next couple of weeks. We'll have to share local intel.

What kind of Yak are you getting?

Lone Wolf
05-23-2008, 08:33
6ft- Check with outfitters and canoe rental places in the area you wish to float and they can provide shuttle services.

I like going to the South Branch of the Potomac in Petersburg, Wv. Excellent scenery,fishing and plenty of spots for camping with privacy(not camp grounds)

neo
05-23-2008, 10:43
6ft- Check with outfitters and canoe rental places in the area you wish to float and they can provide shuttle services.

I like going to the South Branch of the Potomac in Petersburg, Wv. Excellent scenery,fishing and plenty of spots for camping with privacy(not camp grounds)

i never camp at camp grounds when kaying lol:cool:neo

Ripley
05-23-2008, 16:16
That is why they call it stealth camping!

Neo, sounds like a great trip. Smallmouth should be hitting as well.

I plan on doing several overnight trips up hear in East TN this year also.

Nathan

6 feet over
05-24-2008, 21:54

Thanks for the offer. We don’t have much river experience, and aren’t looking to ‘shoot’ any serious rapids. How challenging is that section? How do you get yourself upstream and leave a car down stream? Do you use an outfitter shuttle service, or does your daughter drive? My son is only 12, so I’ll either have to use a service or team up with someone. We would only be available early weekdays; weekends are no good for me.

We plan on fishing and will most likely take our time. Do you plan to camp somewhere or just do a day trip?

Ramblinrev
05-24-2008, 22:03
This is mostly flat water. No white water at all to my knowledge.

We plan on putting in at Lock Haven and Floating/paddling down to Milton State Park. This is about 58 river miles. Fishing on the section beyond Williamsport is supposed to be excellent. Smallmouth bass are supposed to be plentiful in that area. If you left your car in Lock Haven we could get you back up to it at the end of the trip. We will likely be stelalth camping along the river. Our plan is about 10 miles per day. We could help you shuttle cars if you needed to. I am not sure how the shuttle systems would work on the river. It might take some logictical shenanigans but nothing we couldn't work out. We could work out details in PM if you want.

6 feet over
05-24-2008, 22:45
I live just north of Philly on the Neshaminy Creek and will be purchasing a Yak in the next couple of weeks. We'll have to share local intel.

What kind of Yak are you getting?

I actually just got a 14 foot canoe from Dicks Sporting Goods. I also have a Bass Boat, but wanted the canoe so I can just throw it in the back of my truck and not have to worry about a trailer for trips upstate, etc. I really like the looks of one the Yak’s that Dick’s had (built in rod holders, etc), but didn’t have the cash for two of them, and I wanted something I could go out on with my son.

I really like the idea of doing an overnight hammock camping / fishing float trip, but since he’s only 12 and doesn’t drive, my options are limited. I know of many good lakes to Bass fish on (mostly in NJ), but I’m not very knowledgeable on float trips. I don’t really like the idea of having to pay to get dropped up stream, but I don’t see anyway around it at this time. Gas prices being what they are :mad:, an outfitter’s shuttle service might be cheaper than two vehicles.

What I really didn’t like was this: on one site the outfitter’s ‘release’ stated clearly they wanted to be: “released, indemnified & held harmless” from any and all (list bad stuff that could happen) “Whether arising from the negligence of the releasee’s (outfitter’s) or otherwise”.

I’m OK with them not being responsible for the river’s (or my) actions, but why should they be release specifically from THEIR OWN negligence? I know nothings going to happen, but their release just rubbed me the wrong way.

Anyway, I’m hoping to find a few good float trips in the Philadelphia or South Jersey areas. I’ll certainly share any good tips I get. It’s not like giving away a good hunting spot! :eek:

6 feet over
05-24-2008, 23:18
This is mostly flat water. No white water at all to my knowledge.

We plan on putting in at Lock Haven and Floating/paddling down to Milton State Park. This is about 58 river miles. Fishing on the section beyond Williamsport is supposed to be excellent. Smallmouth bass are supposed to be plentiful in that area. If you left your car in Lock Haven we could get you back up to it at the end of the trip. We will likely be stealth camping along the river. Our plan is about 10 miles per day. We could help you shuttle cars if you needed to. I am not sure how the shuttle systems would work on the river. It might take some logistical shenanigans but nothing we couldn't work out. We could work out details in PM if you want.

It sounds like you are biting off a little more than we’re ready to chew! With our limited river experience, I’m not ready for that big of a trip. I’m looking to start off with a single overnight. It seems like a great section of river. A five day float trip with no white water? Sounds great to me, but I don’t have that many days off to devote to such a trip. I’m very interested to hear a report when you return.

When you stealth camp along the way, have you pre-scouted locations from prior trips, or do you just ‘hang on the fly’?

Ripley
06-05-2008, 15:26
Neo,
How did the trip go?

neo
06-05-2008, 18:28
Neo,
How did the trip go?

i lost akayak in a flood:cool:neo

Lone Wolf
06-05-2008, 21:11
6ft. If you would like, I can assist you in two areas that you have questions.

1. Shuttle- If you come to HBG area for an overnighter, I will shuttle you upriver so you can float back to your car

2. Provide details/map of camping spots and the time it takes from the point you drop in to the campsite and from the campsite to your car.

That area is known for smallies.

If your looking for company, we may be free, but I fully understand the father/son trip.

I am not sure if for your first trip you stealth camp. It can be stressful not knowing where you are camping when your son is with you.

My reccommendation is to pre scout the area & get local intel.

I am excited for you guys. My 12 old loves the float/hammock camping and I know yours will as well.

Take some glow sticks for your son. I also take a sling shot for the times my son doesnt want to fish and dad wants to fish.

Lone Wolf
06-05-2008, 21:13
NEO- There is a new kayak out there looking for you.....calling your name.

neo
06-05-2008, 23:27
NEO- There is a new kayak out there looking for you.....calling your name.

:)bought one last week bro:cool:neo

NCPatrick
06-06-2008, 07:35
Which one did you buy?