PDA

View Full Version : Swapping out stock Claytor webbing.

Hoppy
05-24-2008, 20:10
Hi,

Everybody seems to swap out their stock Claytor webbing either with Spectra type rope or alternate webbing. I am thinking of swapping out to rope and cinch buckles, the question I have is - In doing so has anyone noticed any wear on the hammock ends from any exaggerated sawing caused by the rope ?

Cheers
aucklandhoppy.

6 feet over
05-25-2008, 03:17
I’m kind of wondering about this too. I haven’t made the swap yet, and will be putting Strapworks webbing thru the channel, not cord, but was wondering if anyone’s cord DID have a sawing action on the hammock material.

I don’t really camp much compared to the guys on this site, so I doubt it would be a big issue for me.

Tobit
05-25-2008, 08:12
People do it all the time on ENO hammocks without any issue so I don't see why it wouldn't work fine on a Claytor. If you double up the rope in the channel, there is even less potential for tearing.

I'm currently using Mule's method (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/55560-post6.html) of hanging my Claytor. It weighs a little bit more but I like how it's all integrated and can be removed easily.

alex30808
05-25-2008, 11:23
not noticed any abnormal wear yet

Hector
05-25-2008, 12:52
I got two short pieces of polyester webbing with loops in both ends for the channels. Your rope can either go through the loops or you can use one of the superlight caribiners now available to clip onto your rope (that's what I did; also works well as a drip point to keep the hammock dry in the worst weather). I leave the webbing in the hammock all the time so there's very little chance of wearing out the channel before my butt wears out the hammock. :)

One note: I got 1" webbing, but I think 3/4" would actually work better.

cgul1
05-25-2008, 14:03
I am using mules method too (and his straps) on a claytor NONET pics in gallery

alex30808
05-25-2008, 15:25
Here's a link to the thread where I changed my stock straps to a Harbor Freight Webbing strap..

Moon Pie's No Net Mods (http://http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/tom-claytors-hammocks/4080-moon-pies-no-net-mods.html)

ame
05-25-2008, 22:12
I worried about this too (maybe unneccesarily). My solution was to get two pieces of 20mm webbing about 50cm long and sew loops in the ends. I pushed the webbing through the channel on the hammock. Next, I formed a figure-of-8 on a bight on the end of a short (50cm) piece of cord and used it to form a lark's head knot around the pair of SMC rings, then tied the free end with a round turn and two half-hitches through both loops at the end of the webbing.

Hope this makes sense. I should really take some photos.

A

Mule
05-26-2008, 21:08
Another way is to shorten the original straps by simply making a short loop out of them by tying a simple overhand knot. That's the way I am hanging my no net and it works fine. I do use a double loop just for a little extra security. With a small loop of even this nylon stuff that comes with the Claytor, I don't think you will notice any stretching. Mule

6 feet over
06-12-2008, 22:26
That’s what I actually wound up doing. I used a short amount of original Claytor webbing to make a short section to attach the buckles to.

Seems like it will be fine, and I agree that short amount of webbing can’t stretch enough to matter.