PDA

View Full Version : Structural ridgeline, Help?

JBOGGS
05-25-2008, 00:40
Hello, I just bought a ENO, double the other day without the slap straps. I read here they were not the best. So I am reading and looking at links and I think I want to try a "Structural Ridgeline". Who can suggest where to go on line and buy the straps I would need and the buckles.

Big thanks

JBOGGS

peanuts
05-25-2008, 08:26
you go htpp://www.strapworks.com and buy polyester webbing in desired length to hang the hammock, as for ridgeline spectra line works just fine. there are threads addressing this subject.

Narwhalin
05-25-2008, 09:39
I second going with strapworks.com. Here is a link to some hammock friendly webbing:

Strapworks Simple Sling 1in Seatbelt Webbing (http://www.strapworks.com/Strapworks_Simple_Sling_p/hss1s.htm)

Notice how you can customize the size of the loop(s), and the length. The owner has come on this site to see how he could cater to us, and he has done a great job of providing a product that fits our needs.

Rings:

descending ring - Google Search (http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=t&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4ADBF_enUS239US239&q=descending+ring)

There seems to be only one brand of rings (unless someone else knows of one), the SMC descending ring.

Here is some info on the ridgeline:

Just Jeff's Hammock Camping Page (http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock4.html)

I just use some more of the rope I use for the supports. It matches that way, and I know the charachteristics of the rope is good for the ridgeline. (e.g. low stretch, more than enough strength.)

bigbadwolfusa
05-25-2008, 11:51
JB...

Just bought me some rings for my set up and got them at Tractor supply...I got the 1 3/4" brass rings...but they have steel and brass and in different sizes...do a search on there site steel rings or brass rings...

Tractor Supply Company - Home (http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Home_10551_10001)

Narwhalin
05-25-2008, 12:00
What is the weight limit on those rings?

They need to have a min strength of 10 Kn (~2300 lbs.)

Tobit
05-25-2008, 12:19
Brass? Brass is a very soft metal. Be VERY careful with those.

warbonnetguy
05-25-2008, 17:16
What is the weight limit on those rings?

They need to have a min strength of 10 Kn (~2300 lbs.)

knotted 2000# line would have a breaking strength of around 1000# when you factor in the knot, and the heavyweight polypropelyne webbing many here use has a break strength of around 800#. what would be the advantage of using rings that are twice as strong as the rest of your suspension?

Hooch
05-25-2008, 17:24
ENO Structural Ridgeline Thread (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/ridge-lines/2128-eno-structural-ridgeline.html).

Narwhalin
05-25-2008, 17:29
I don't know, Warbonnettguy! That is a great question. I got that from Jeff's page on the ring buckle setup: Just Jeff's Homemade Gear - Ring Buckle Supports (http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearRingBuckleSupports.html)

2 Descending Rings per side (10 kN min strength)
I used the 16.6 kN Seattle Manufacturing Descending Ring with a 1.5" internal diameter (measured weight 3/8 oz (13 g) per pair)
Caribiner (10 kN min. strength)
I used the 22 kN C.A.M.P. USA Nano Wire gated carabiner (measured 1 oz (28 g) each)
Strong Cord (1000lbs test min), ~12"
I used BPL Air Core Plus rated to 1109 lbs (.04 oz listed weight...didn't register on my 2 g scale)
1" webbing, low-memory stretch, 600+ lbs working load
I used Ed Speer's polypropylene webbing, rated to 700 lbs, at ~1.5 oz 6.5' side

You are right, the webbing is 700 lbs., yet the metal parts are all rated 10 Kn or more. What gives?

FanaticFringer
05-25-2008, 17:30
Welcome to the site JBOGGS.
Consider theses also. OnRope1: Cinch 1" (http://www.onrope1.com/store/index.php?p=product&id=118&parent=4)

angrysparrow
05-25-2008, 17:31
I don't know, Warbonnettguy! That is a great question. I got that from Jeff's page on the ring buckle setup: Just Jeff's Homemade Gear - Ring Buckle Supports (http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearRingBuckleSupports.html)

You are right, the webbing is 700 lbs., yet the metal parts are all rated 10 Kn or more. What gives?

That page doesn't mean that that's the minimum you need for hanging, but that's the minimum fail rating given by the manufacturer of the rings.

Narwhalin
05-25-2008, 17:47
I used the 16.6 kN Seattle Manufacturing Descending Ring with a 1.5" internal diameter (measured weight 3/8 oz (13 g) per pair)

So, what does the 16.6 kN refer to?

FanaticFringer
05-25-2008, 18:35
So, what does the 16.6 kN refer to?

Flatliners Southeast Climbing FAQ's - What's a Kilonewton? (http://www.southeastclimbing.com/faq/faq_kilonewton.htm)

3731 lbs

Narwhalin
05-25-2008, 19:02
I understand how many pounds a kN is. What we are trying to determine is what the rating is of the descending rings that Jeff uses in the ring buckle setup.

If the 10 kN min strength is referring to the minimum rating for the ring, what does the 16.6 kN refer to?

warbonnetguy
05-25-2008, 19:36
i think jeff is saying that is his minimum recommendation (10kn), but the ones he used were rated to 16.6kn.

i would say 10kn is pretty conservative considering the strength of webbing and line folks here have been using seemingly without any problems.

i have been using some rings lately that are quite small. 5/8" inside diameter made from 1/8" welded stainless steel wire. they weigh 4 grams each. not sure what their break strength is but i just sent some off to tosto for testing since he offered. supposedly a tig weld is as strong as the wire itself, and a welded ring should bend into an oval before the wire breaks, so theoretically if your weight doesn't bend it, you should be ok. you obviously want some margin of error, but i think rappel rings are many times strong enough for hanging and thus heavier than necessary. although if jeff's are 13g per pair, that is pretty light, especially for it's large diameter.

Narwhalin
05-25-2008, 20:03
I am interested to hear the results on those rings, Warbonnet guy. Where did you get them?

warbonnetguy
05-25-2008, 20:34
I am interested to hear the results on those rings, Warbonnet guy. Where did you get them?

i had them custom made. i'll probably be including them sewn into my tree straps if they turn out to be strong enough, line cutting through lightweight straps seems to be a real problem, tying to a single ring is just as easy and the straps should last much longer this way.

as for the rings, i think you should be able to find welded steel rings about that size (5/8-3/4" diameter) lots of places, i was having trouble finding really light welded rings for the corners of my tarps till i found this guy, and since he was making me the smaller ones i asked him to make a few for the suspension as well. the ones for the tarp are the really impressive ones though, 0.7g each (welded stainless), he says he can do welded titanium also for about half the weight and twice the cost. a standard 3/4" plastic d-ring weighs around 2g each. these are less than half the weight and stronger.

Narwhalin
05-25-2008, 22:03
i had them custom made. i'll probably be including them sewn into my tree straps if they turn out to be strong enough, line cutting through lightweight straps seems to be a real problem, tying to a single ring is just as easy and the straps should last much longer this way.

I am looking to do the same thing, as I just don't like the puckering that happens under tension with the webbing. (Both on my tree huggers, and on the tarp I made.) I also think the durability will be enhanced by using rings...

as for the rings, i think you should be able to find welded steel rings about that size (5/8-3/4" diameter) lots of places, i was having trouble finding really light welded rings for the corners of my tarps till i found this guy, and since he was making me the smaller ones i asked him to make a few for the suspension as well. the ones for the tarp are the really impressive ones though, 0.7g each (welded stainless), he says he can do welded titanium also for about half the weight and twice the cost. a standard 3/4" plastic d-ring weighs around 2g each. these are less than half the weight and stronger.

So, is this just a local welder? I suppose I could just look in the phonebook, and try to see if I could get a quote for the work from a few different folks.

I had bought some 1" welded rings from Ace hardware which are rated to 250 lbs. When I brought them home, I went to the aformentioned site and found that my rings only came up short by about 9 kN! They are also quite heavy.

I am interested in trying to have some of these made myself. I wonder what the breaking strength of your rings will be, and if they will work for us!

alex30808
05-26-2008, 08:28
Quote: "I had bought some 1" welded rings from Ace hardware which are rated to 250 lbs. When I brought them home, I went to the aformentioned site and found that my rings only came up short by about 9 kN! They are also quite heavy" End Quote

These are the same exact rings I bought and have used since day one...I have to say that during some of these conversations...I feel that I am one of the largest folks on the site...I weigh in at a a hair over 250 and I'm only 5'6" on a good day! I have used so many of the "Dont Use "THIS"" stuff with out fail it's not funny...the Ace rings work just fine...and yep...I first used plain ole 550 cord to hang with with out fail...but after reading about web straps and rings...I swapped over. I still use 550 cord for my ridge line and 550 cord for my "Larks Head" loop on my rings. I've done this with out fail (knock on wood) so far. I live in a rual area and do not have these high tech ropes and rings to fetch. I dont have a scale and I dont feel very comfortable ordering stuff on line so...that's why I've never tried the Amsteel Blue or the SMC rings...It's also why I've never tired the "On Rope" cinch buckles...

Anyway...I've used the Harbor Freight straps, Ace Hardware 1" welded rings and 550 cord for almost a year now and have had no failures other than a strap slip from the lack of not putting a half hitch in place...but even that was a slow let down.

While we're on the "cheep" road...I experimented with cinch buckles the other day...These I know are rated for WAY more than a hammocker needs...these buckles were cut from worn out 5 point safty harneses and yep...I used 550 cord on them for the prusik knot/larks head loop too. I found out that I did not like the cinches nearly as much as I like the rings...

I guess what I am saying is that if you dont have access to certian "exact" items...one can experiment with other stuff (some times/ most times) cheeper stuff to see if that set up is what they like. If that individual then likes that set up...get the "good" stuff that'll cost more but save you weight...

Narwhalin
05-26-2008, 09:29
Thanks alot for that post, Alex. It really puts into perspective for me how much I relied on others for information, as opposed to simply trying it out to see if it works. I had been avoiding those rings all along because I thought they would fail...maybe I will give them a shot! At least it will give me a chance to try the ring buckle system. I am still thinking it would be nice to try Warbonnetguy's idea of having someone make rings for me if they turn out okay...

alex30808
05-26-2008, 12:46
Narwhalin...the thing about getting rings made is the over all cost. I would suggest having WBG get a set made for you if they work out and you could pay his welder for the service...many welders will not do this type of thing because the job is to small...sorry to say it that way...but the over all cost of firing up a machine, prep time and material cost can drive a small project like this over the financial edge. If you have a friend who is a tig welder...that's a different story.

Narwhalin
05-26-2008, 15:39
Thanks again, Alex.

I think it may be a good idea to see if anyone else on the forum would like them, and try to do a group buy. Can't wait to hear the results Warbonnetguy has...

alex30808
05-26-2008, 15:48
That would be the way to go...a group buy...

Narwhalin
05-27-2008, 14:50
Just thought I would let you know I have been using the 250# rated welded steel rings from Ace, and no bending or breaking whatsoever! I had a heck of a time getting the ring buckles to stop slipping. I think the harbor freight webbing I use is more slippery than the stuff Jeff used. But, I just eventually tied a slippery half-hitch in right behind the buckles, and it was all good...

It is apparent that this thread has morphed a bit! :D

warbonnetguy
05-27-2008, 15:33
Just thought I would let you know I have been using the 250# rated welded steel rings from Ace, and no bending or breaking whatsoever! I had a heck of a time getting the ring buckles to stop slipping. I think the harbor freight webbing I use is more slippery than the stuff Jeff used. But, I just eventually tied a slippery half-hitch in right behind the buckles, and it was all good...

It is apparent that this thread has morphed a bit! :D

that 250# rating is the safe working load, the breaking strength would be several times higher.