PDA

View Full Version : I bought a cheap hammock

Ewker
10-13-2006, 14:34
Last week Neo posted on WB that the Hammock on Sportsman's Guide website was on sale. http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=259631
I checked it out and it was only $ 19.99. Well I have wasted more than
$ 20.00 on gear before so why not try it out. I didn't want to spend much money on something that I may not like and If I don't I can always sell it on here or WB. Anyway it was delivered today and is on the front porch.

Now the question is how do you hang one. :confused:

All it comes with is 2 S-hooks. Do you just tie rope around the hook and wrap it around a tree and hope the knot holds? :eek:

Just Jeff
10-13-2006, 15:04
I think most folks (on these forums, at least) remove the S-hooks and put a support system like other hammocks on there - cord or webbing.

Ewker
10-13-2006, 15:11
support system?

ShakeyLeggs
10-13-2006, 15:23
support system?

The system to tie it to a tree. I.E. Hennessy uses spectra with tree huggers

Am I correct in this Jeff?

Just Jeff
10-13-2006, 15:23
Spectra cord on the Hennessy, webbing on the Speer, etc. What ties the hammock to the tree.

Edit - looks like we posted at the same time, Shakey. You're right - that's what I was talking about.

Ewker
10-13-2006, 15:40
will these straps work. they have buckles to hold it tight. I use them to hold my kakyak on my Jeep.
http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=1440&deptid=1188#
I looked on both of the sites mentioned and no image of what the cord or webbing looks like

Just Jeff
10-13-2006, 15:49
Those should work fine for your home. Probably too heavy to backpack with, though.

Look through these pics for supports:
http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearHammockSupports.html
http://www.tothewoods.net/HikingPicturesHotSprings.html
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12

Miguel
10-13-2006, 21:40
will these straps work. they have buckles to hold it tight. I use them to hold my kakyak on my Jeep.
http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=1440&deptid=1188#
I looked on both of the sites mentioned and no image of what the cord or webbing looks like

Those NRS straps work great. You can micro adjust tension easily and set up is incredibly fast. As Jeff mentioned, there is a weight penalty. I'd like to check out the ones from Crazy Creek to see if they're lighter. The buckles are so convenient.

BTW...I also mainly use mine for kayaking. We do mainly whitewater...how about you? I think hammocking would be perfect for overnight/extended kayak camping trips.

Miguel

ShakeyLeggs
10-13-2006, 21:50
Anyone use slapstraps with a Hennessy without modding the hammock. Just wondering if it has and can be done. I heard somewhere someone pretied a biner to their HH and hooked it up that way. I am wondering if the slapstraps will hold with just tieing the figure 8 knot to them?

blackbishop351
10-13-2006, 22:07
Anyone use slapstraps with a Hennessy without modding the hammock. Just wondering if it has and can be done. I heard somewhere someone pretied a biner to their HH and hooked it up that way. I am wondering if the slapstraps will hold with just tieing the figure 8 knot to them?

You could do the same thing I did, just don't cut the spectra once you tie the fig. 8. You could also tie the spectra directly into the straps, then use a biner to clip the other end of the straps around the tree.

Ewker
10-13-2006, 22:09
Those NRS straps work great. You can micro adjust tension easily and set up is incredibly fast. As Jeff mentioned, there is a weight penalty. I'd like to check out the ones from Crazy Creek to see if they're lighter. The buckles are so convenient.

BTW...I also mainly use mine for kayaking. We do mainly whitewater...how about you? I think hammocking would be perfect for overnight/extended kayak camping trips.

Miguel

I have a sea kayak. I usually take a tent but if I like a hammock it will work well for kayaking.

I will try out those straps before I buy new ones.
I don't want to invest a lot of money in this if it turns out I don't like hammocking.

I have an 8'x10' Equinox tarp that will work as a cover for now.

One step at a time :)

Just Jeff
10-13-2006, 22:55
Remember, REI stores and REI.com take returns for any reason, no questions. Spend the money on a worthy setup, and take it back if you don't like it. You might lose your shipping money but that's about it. That's what their policy is for...to encourage you to make big purchases that you're unsure about. Chances are you'll keep it.

Other stores do the same thing - I think Campmor and EMS do.

ShakeyLeggs
10-13-2006, 23:37
I have a sea kayak. I usually take a tent but if I like a hammock it will work well for kayaking.

Someone has to say it

Don't know if the kayak will fit in the hammock:D

FanaticFringer
10-13-2006, 23:58
An inflatable one just might.

neo
10-14-2006, 02:43
Last week Neo posted on WB that the Hammock on Sportsman's Guide website was on sale. http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=259631
I checked it out and it was only $ 19.99. Well I have wasted more than
$ 20.00 on gear before so why not try it out. I didn't want to spend much money on something that I may not like and If I don't I can always sell it on here or WB. Anyway it was delivered today and is on the front porch.

Now the question is how do you hang one. :confused:

All it comes with is 2 S-hooks. Do you just tie rope around the hook and wrap it around a tree and hope the knot holds? :eek:

:D your in luck dude,i know all the tricks of the trade on this hammock
we can get together i will show you:cool: neo

Ewker
12-25-2006, 21:50
well I finally bought some wally world webbing to use with the hammock. Took my time didn't I..lol

slowhike
12-25-2006, 23:29
what, a couple months? there`s nothing like being cautious<g>
keep an eye on that wally-world webbing.
most people have had no problem w/ it but I've broke it a couple times.
i don't know that there source is as consistent in quality control as some.
just take a look every once in a while, to see that it's not showing wear or tear.

Doctari
12-27-2006, 07:04
Did you try the ropes that came with your hammock? Mine came with 2 sturdy ropes for tying to support (trees?) I used them once, seemed to work, left them on for about 10 min, then tied on my 3/4" webbing instead, but like I said, they seem to do the trick. I have set mine up with a (apx) 7' ridgeline* so it hangs the same no matter what.

*Some day I'll measure it, maybe today, maybe not. Also may take pictures & post them.

Doctari.

Frolicking Dino
12-27-2006, 07:22
Ewker, bring the hammock, webbing, etc. to the SORuck... get the hanging crowd to show you the tricks and tips. I was amazed at how much knowledge was freely shared at Ed Speers' Hot Springs camp-out and at the 2006 Gathering.

Ewker
12-27-2006, 09:16
FD, are there going to be any hammock hangers at SoRuck?

Doctari, I looked at the ropes and based on what I had read on here I decided to go with webbing.

Doctari
12-27-2006, 14:33
Doctari, I looked at the ropes and based on what I had read on here I decided to go with webbing.

Yea, me too. But I may use them as "slap straps". Let the testing continue :D

Frolicking Dino
12-27-2006, 18:33
FD, are there going to be any hammock hangers at SoRuck?

Doctari, I looked at the ropes and based on what I had read on here I decided to go with webbing.I think Peanuts and Hammock Hanger are both coming. I haven't paid much attention to the fellows who are coming (well, except for that handsome dino)

peanuts
12-28-2006, 15:29
I am coming to the SORuck

Doctari
12-28-2006, 18:10
FWIW: My webbing is 28 feet long*, Distance between ends of the hammock 8' 2" leaving (about) 9'3" at each end and about 8" or so for the loops that my hammock hangs from.
Using 7" diameter trees, I can easily hang from trees 20' apart. This isn't ideal, its easier if I'm between 11' and about 13', but I "Can" do it that far apart. And I'm (naturally) able to use trees as close as 8.5' apart but this requires hanging my tarp (9' x 9') what I call "the hard way" or square instead of corner to corner.

Using the 8'2" ridgeline lets me sleep VERY comfortable.

Sometime in the near future, I am going to get a 35' length of webbing, "Just in case" I need to hang from trees further apart &/or larger trees.

Doctari.