PDA

View Full Version : Multi-Use

Cannibal
01-09-2012, 14:35
So we (hikers) all love us some multi-use gear, right? What about gear that transcends multi-use for just hiking? Dutchware does it. :D

Like many others, Genuine Draft and I are obligated to attend many parties over the holidays. Well, this year (like every other) she had a couple of wardrobe malfunctions. Not the Janet Jackson kind, just stuff that doesn't cooperate with her. This year, one of the items was a broken clasp on a necklace she wanted to wear. What I heard was "blah, blah, blah. This that and the other thing. Do you have anything that will work?" What she really said was "I really want to wear this necklace, but the stupid clasp broke and I can't find anything to replace it with. Do you have anything that might work?"

Since my subconscious was aware she wanted me to do something at a moment when I didn't want to do something, I responded with an auto-pilot "no". A few seconds later, the brain acknowledged what she was asking and a thought crept into my mind: what about that baggie of Dutch Hooks I have in the gear room?

Pleased to report, they work quite well. A simple larkshead on the closed loop and let the open end catch the loose end. Probably wouldn't work so great on a lady (or lad) with short hair since it doesn't exactly scream "fashion", but with a little hair to cover it, the Dutch Hook is a wonderful substitute for a necklace catch.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-tyYZmaQRd2M/TwtAtfXds-I/AAAAAAAAAh8/MEeR2VKP6-0/s800/IMAG0072.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-4RQgqFcURSg/TwtAumuapmI/AAAAAAAAAh8/w6tq5AxhoVw/s800/IMAG0073.jpg

So, I'm supposed to tell Dutch, from Genuine Draft: You rock dude! :D

raiffnuke
01-09-2012, 14:37
I like it! :)

Joey
01-09-2012, 14:41
smart thinkin'!

JalapeņoBen
01-09-2012, 14:41
A new market... we should call Jarrod's

Poppabear
01-09-2012, 15:02
Wow Cannibal! You have single handedly created a whole new market outlet for Dutch. All the ladies will be on the look out for the Dutchware jewelry line.

dragon360
01-09-2012, 15:08
Does it come in colours?!! :D

FLRider
01-09-2012, 15:42
Does it come in colours?!! :D

It comes in any color you want, as long as it's titanium.

MAD777
01-09-2012, 16:05
This makes me glad that I ordered twice as many Dutch hooks as I thought I needed!

Dutch
01-09-2012, 16:21
The event that our gear hording mod and his lovely better half were attending was red carpet movie premier opening of the new South Park movie in Aspen. He was riding in the limo with Tom and Kate Cruise when Kate had her hair band just snap leaving Tom to complain that her long locks would prevent the paparazzi's from getting a good profile picture of him. Our quick thinking mod reaches into his pocket and pulls out a Dutch Clip. Securing Kate's hair and thereby saving Tom's chances of going to the movie unseen the Mission Impossible star thanks Cannibal with a big hug. However as they enjoyed their long warm moment Kate and Genuine feeling awkward exited the limo. They no sooner left the curb when two gangsters riding a motorcycle ran dangerously up on the side walk and the passenger tried to pull the necklace off of Genuine. Thinking it was some flimsy clasp made in China and they would soon be off to the pawn shop to recover a handsome reward. Imagine their surprise when the titanium clasp held fast making the soon to be incarcerated villains stop in their tracks and land hard on the pavement. Kate quickly removed her hair band and tied the two together once again using the Dutch Clip. Barak and Michelle, who were also attending the movie, watch all this with great interest and declared January 7th National Dutch Day. And from now on when school children are done with their pledge to the flag, they all must say..."If you ain't Dutch, you ain't much".

OutandBack
01-09-2012, 16:22
Way to think out of the box. Very inventive.

Cannibal
01-09-2012, 16:38
The event that our gear hording mod and his lovely better half were attending was red carpet movie premier opening of the new South Park movie in Aspen. He was riding in the limo with Tom and Kate Cruise when Kate had her hair band just snap leaving Tom to complain that her long locks would prevent the paparazzi's from getting a good profile picture of him. Our quick thinking mod reaches into his pocket and pulls out a Dutch Clip. Securing Kate's hair and thereby saving Tom's chances of going to the movie unseen the Mission Impossible star thanks Cannibal with a big hug. However as they enjoyed their long warm moment Kate and Genuine feeling awkward exited the limo. They no sooner left the curb when two gangsters riding a motorcycle ran dangerously up on the side walk and the passenger tried to pull the necklace off of Genuine. Thinking it was some flimsy clasp made in China and they would soon be off to the pawn shop to recover a handsome reward. Imagine their surprise when the titanium clasp held fast making the soon to be incarcerated villains stop in their tracks and land hard on the pavement. Kate quickly removed her hair band and tied the two together once again using the Dutch Clip. Barak and Michelle, who were also attending the movie, watch all this with great interest and declared January 7th National Dutch Day. And from now on when school children are done with their pledge to the flag, they all must say..."If you ain't Dutch, you ain't much".
I figured between the Scientology and Secret Service security details, this would have all remained hush-hush. You really do know people, don't ya Dutch!? :scared:

National Dutch Day; a day off we can all get behind. :D

born2roam
01-10-2012, 03:38
A Canadian relative of mine sent me this through the email....

you know you're Dutch when...

The temperature is so low in your house that 2 sweaters is a bare minimum if you want to be remotely warm.
During the winter it's warmer outside than it is inside.
You open the freezer and are excited to find a container of ice-cream,only to open it and discover it's full of homemade soup or stamppot..
When looking in the fridge, you never trust that the yogurt or margarine containers contain what the label says.
You were green before it was popular. Why recycle when you can just reuse!
You have a pair of wooden shoes in your house.
Your china cabinet is filled with Delft.
You like pickled herring.
You've eaten oliebollen at New Years.
You enjoy chocolate sprinkle (hagelslag) sandwiches.
You have cousins who wear size 14 shoes and are over 6'4"
You wash and reuse plastic cups and plastic cutlery.
You have soup and open-faced sandwiches for Sunday lunch.
The most frequent phrase uttered growing up was "Turn off the lights!"
You get a chocolate letter every year for Christmas.
All the tables in your house are covered in tablecloths.
You like krokets.
You know that Vla is better than regular old pudding.
You drink tea with breakfast, coffee at 10 am, tea at 3 pm, and coffee again at 8 pm (with cookies or biscuits of course!)
You have an afghan knitted by your Oma.
You collect coupons like they're going out of style.
Your Oma had a calendar with everyone's birthdays & anniversaries spelled out in capital letters (bonus points if it hung in the bathroom!)
You've been known to recycle aluminum foil. And ziploc bags.
You own a special utensil that is only used for cutting cheese.
You know that Gouda is the best cheese ever.
You have at least 5 relatives with the same name (and somehow you always know which one is being talked about).
When you hear all the "new ways to save energy" you yawn and say "I've been doing that all my life!"
You eat your sandwiches open-faced. "What? You want another slice of bread? I'll make you another sandwich."
You rarely have both meat and cheese on the same sandwich.
You have never met half the relatives at your family reunion
You have 100 roles of toilet paper in your house because they were on sale.
You put a little water into the jar of tomato sauce and shake it to make sure you got it all out.
You have trouble shopping for hats. There should be at least two sizes: 'one size fits all' and 'dutch'.
You wipe the last of the butter out of the container with your bun.
All your cookies taste like almonds.
You make the bed in your hotel room.
You have lace on your windows but not on your underwear.
You like dubbel zout drops, and have occasionally tricked a friend into trying one.
You've put mayonnaise on your french fries.
Your kitchen is filled with milk bags drying, waiting to be reused in the freezer.
You have a spoon collection.
Your favourite mustard comes in jars that can be reused as drinking glasses.
You leave a window open year round to get fresh air.
You eat stroop waffles.
You love the colour orange.
You have a vegetable garden because there's no way you're paying that much for veggies at the grocery store.
Your fridge is always stocked with leftovers. Throw out food? Never!
You go to the "Dutch Store" because the smell brings back so many childhood memories.
You have pictures of windmills around your house.
Everything is Do-It-Yourself - it's cheaper than hiring someone.
You use "washandjes" (facecloths that you can put your hand into).
You own tea towels and oven mitts patterned with windmills and dancing women in clogs.
You call it "MELK" not "milk".
All your cousins have the same names as your brothers and sisters,because everyone is named after Oma and Opa.
And finally, you know you're Dutch when..
You're laughing along with this list because you can relate to most it!

Not sure how this works out now :D

Grtz Johan

Dutch
01-10-2012, 08:44

The temperature is so low in your house that 2 sweaters is a bare minimum if you want to be remotely warm.
During the winter it's warmer outside than it is inside.
You open the freezer and are excited to find a container of ice-cream,only to open it and discover it's full of homemade soup or stamppot..
When looking in the fridge, you never trust that the yogurt or margarine containers contain what the label says.
You were green before it was popular. Why recycle when you can just reuse!
You have a pair of wooden shoes in your house.
Your china cabinet is filled with Delft.
You like pickled herring.
You've eaten oliebollen at New Years.
You enjoy chocolate sprinkle (hagelslag) sandwiches.
You have cousins who wear size 14 shoes and are over 6'4"
You wash and reuse plastic cups and plastic cutlery.
You have soup and open-faced sandwiches for Sunday lunch.
The most frequent phrase uttered growing up was "Turn off the lights!"
You get a chocolate letter every year for Christmas.
All the tables in your house are covered in tablecloths.
You like krokets.
You know that Vla is better than regular old pudding.
You drink tea with breakfast, coffee at 10 am, tea at 3 pm, and coffee again at 8 pm (with cookies or biscuits of course!)
You have an afghan knitted by your Oma.
You collect coupons like they're going out of style.
Your Oma had a calendar with everyone's birthdays & anniversaries spelled out in capital letters (bonus points if it hung in the bathroom!)
You've been known to recycle aluminum foil. And ziploc bags.
You own a special utensil that is only used for cutting cheese.
You know that Gouda is the best cheese ever.
You have at least 5 relatives with the same name (and somehow you always know which one is being talked about).
When you hear all the "new ways to save energy" you yawn and say "I've been doing that all my life!"
You eat your sandwiches open-faced. "What? You want another slice of bread? I'll make you another sandwich."
You rarely have both meat and cheese on the same sandwich.
You have never met half the relatives at your family reunion
You have 100 roles of toilet paper in your house because they were on sale.
You put a little water into the jar of tomato sauce and shake it to make sure you got it all out.
You have trouble shopping for hats. There should be at least two sizes: 'one size fits all' and 'dutch'.
You wipe the last of the butter out of the container with your bun.
All your cookies taste like almonds.
You make the bed in your hotel room.
You have lace on your windows but not on your underwear.
You like dubbel zout drops, and have occasionally tricked a friend into trying one.
You've put mayonnaise on your french fries.
Your kitchen is filled with milk bags drying, waiting to be reused in the freezer.
You have a spoon collection.
Your favourite mustard comes in jars that can be reused as drinking glasses.
You leave a window open year round to get fresh air.
You eat stroop waffles.
You love the colour orange.
You have a vegetable garden because there's no way you're paying that much for veggies at the grocery store.
Your fridge is always stocked with leftovers. Throw out food? Never!
You go to the "Dutch Store" because the smell brings back so many childhood memories.
You have pictures of windmills around your house.
Everything is Do-It-Yourself - it's cheaper than hiring someone.
You use "washandjes" (facecloths that you can put your hand into).
You own tea towels and oven mitts patterned with windmills and dancing women in clogs.
You call it "MELK" not "milk".
All your cousins have the same names as your brothers and sisters,because everyone is named after Oma and Opa.
And finally, you know you're Dutch when..
You're laughing along with this list because you can relate to most it!

Not sure how this works out now :D

Grtz Johan
Too Funny.:lol:

GrizzlyAdams
01-10-2012, 09:59

I grew up living close to my maternal grandfather, who was born and raised in the Netherlands. This list is too true!