PDA

View Full Version : Love the Nite-ize LED light.

Hangandy
01-10-2012, 03:12
The Nite-ize LED light WS sells is awesome!

It is not a flashlight (though it dies have a flashing option). But for simple use as a hammock light it is perfect. It is an orb shape with a rubber exterior so it will not catch on anything. It is also a diffused light so it diffuses light around the whole hammock interior. It has a sturdy wire gate so it fits perfectly on your ridge line. If you wanted to go all out you could buy a set of 2 if you have a diamond tarp and put them on your guylines to keep others from tripping on them in the night.

Perfect kit, low price. Pick one up with your regular order! I think they're $5.90.

Bannerstone
01-10-2012, 06:04
Hangandy,

Nite-ize has so many light options to choose from. Were you thinking about the Clip-it? That's the one I was thinking of to just leave on the ridgeline. The Wrap-it and Moonlit both look interesting for other task lighting as well. I currently have the Brim-light that I keep in my tool kit at work. Great stuff that company makes.

David

Acer
01-10-2012, 06:20
Been looking myself, thanks for the tip,,beats the weight of a nco candle. I can even carry several of these and the weight is minscule.

Dos
01-10-2012, 06:36
Hangandy,
Nite-ize has so many light options to choose from. ....Great stuff that company makes.
David

^ this :)

kobold
01-10-2012, 08:55
i have one too, i take it everywhere. the light output is just right for me.

SmokeBait
01-10-2012, 09:31
HF member BurningCedar turned me on to those a couple of years ago. I'm still on the original battery :) I just leave it attached to my hammock ridge line all the time. Very handy too for when your campfire is a ways from the hammock and you need to find your way back in darkness. Or for those mid-night excursions. I don't think you could read by it (I can't) but great ambient lighting. Here is the one Hangandy references:

http://shop.whoopieslings.com/Nite-Ize-Spotlit-LED-carabiner-in-White-MSL-03-02.htm

Hangandy
01-10-2012, 11:22
http://shop.whoopieslings.com/Nite-Ize-Spotlit-LED-carabiner-in-White-MSL-03-02.htm[/QUOTE]

I did have to change batteries once (very easy to do) and they cost me less than a buck from a Dollar Store. (2016s?) But they last forever!

Dos
01-10-2012, 11:37
thanks for the link.
I only had a micro light.

perfect! :)

taylo
01-18-2012, 19:28
I just received two of em from Stu at whoopieslings. Best hammock gear purchase I've made in awhile. Plenty of soft light. Just perfect for the ole ridgeline. Thanks for the heads up.

SmokeBait
01-18-2012, 20:39
I just received two of em from Stu at whoopieslings. Best hammock gear purchase I've made in awhile. Plenty of soft light. Just perfect for the ole ridgeline. Thanks for the heads up.

Glad to hear that Taylo166. I find it to be, like you say, a nice soft light. Sure makes it nice when turning in and getting everything situated.

shhQuiet
01-19-2012, 20:51
Just got one of these and it is very neat- small and light (get it?)

I haven't tried it in the hammock yet-- will I be able to read my Kindle by it if it's hanging from the ridge line?

SmokeBait
01-19-2012, 22:39
Just got one of these and it is very neat- small and light (get it?)

I haven't tried it in the hammock yet-- will I be able to read my Kindle by it if it's hanging from the ridge line?

I'll say it this way. If it is a Kindle that isn't backlit, you can see to read it but it isn't optimal in my mind. A headlamp would be better for that. BurningCedar, you out there? I know he's a Kindle and Spotlit user and maybe he will see this and chime it.

kgmm00
01-19-2012, 23:00
There wasn't quite enough light output for me to to read with my Kindle. I had to use a LED headlight. However, as I have gotten older the eyes aren't what they used to be!

Love the light though.

shhQuiet
01-20-2012, 00:02
I'll say it this way. If it is a Kindle that isn't backlit, you can see to read it but it isn't optimal in my mind. A headlamp would be better for that.

There wasn't quite enough light output for me to to read with my Kindle. I had to use a LED headlight. However, as I have gotten older the eyes aren't what they used to be!

I hear you about the eyes going downhill :unsure:

Ah well, it is so small and I really like the idea of a hammock night light. It is a hassle to fiddle with the headlamp all the time and I'd rather not have it on my head when I'm kicking back. I also like the beacon back to bed after the pee break.

Throkda
01-20-2012, 07:22
For my Kindle, I just paid a bit extra and got the cover with the built-in light - that lasts forever for reading, since it just pulls a trickle of power from the Kindle battery. For light in the hammock to get situated with, I usually just hang my headlamp over the ridgeline and slide it behind my head so it's not in my eyes.

SmokeBait
01-30-2012, 23:21
We've had a pretty good run on these and only have (9) left. It might be 30 days or so before we get another shipment.

dedominick
01-30-2012, 23:47
FYI I generally like to offer these on PIF so keep an eye out and join in!

mattyg
01-31-2012, 00:31
they have one called getlit which is the spotlit with a bottle opener and clip on one side led on the other

Can't Wait
01-31-2012, 09:27
I ordered on from whoopieslings the other day it is sweet.

oldgringo
01-31-2012, 09:42
The switch on mine is very stiff, to the point that smaller folk might find it difficult to operate. The up side is, it stays on my ridgeline and gets stuffed with my hammock, and I never have to worry about it being turned on inadvertently. Essential kit.:)

SmokeBait
01-31-2012, 10:18
The switch on mine is very stiff, to the point that smaller folk might find it difficult to operate. The up side is, it stays on my ridgeline and gets stuffed with my hammock, and I never have to worry about it being turned on inadvertently. Essential kit.:)

Hey Oldgringo, I'll bring another to the Ozark hang and we'll compare. If it is different,. we'll swap you. They take a bit of effort to turn on but I found that good as it won't turn accidentally if you leave it on the hammock (as I do) and stuff it in its sack.

oldgringo
01-31-2012, 10:50
Hey Oldgringo, I'll bring another to the Ozark hang and we'll compare. If it is different,. we'll swap you. They take a bit of effort to turn on but I found that good as it won't turn accidentally if you leave it on the hammock (as I do) and stuff it in its sack.

Stu, I wasn't complaining. I like it the way it is. Looking forward to seeing you...coffee's on me.:)

LazyBee
02-14-2012, 21:06
Can't wait to get mine after reading all these praises about the soft light. Ordered one and also the Dutch ridge line set up too, thanks for the tip!
Lazybee

SmokeBait
02-15-2012, 10:48
Yours is on it's way LazyBee. Let us know what you think. Thanks!

gospidey
02-15-2012, 11:14
Babelfish5 Turned me on to them. I too am a kindle person who's eyes have gone south and I find I need to use my headlamp for hammock reading. I also like the idea that when hung on the ridgeline it helps you find your way back to your setup in the dark. This forum never ceases to amaze me with it's wonderful shared knowledge.

SmokeBait
02-15-2012, 11:25
Babelfish5 Turned me on to them. I too am a kindle person who's eyes have gone south and I find I need to use my headlamp for hammock reading. I also like the idea that when hung on the ridgeline it helps you find your way back to your setup in the dark. This forum never ceases to amaze me with it's wonderful shared knowledge.

Word of mouth is a great thing. It was our very own BurningCedar who turned me on to them.

HURTHEART
02-15-2012, 12:22
Someone gave my Service Dog one of these lights a couple of months ago. I have reflective stuff on her harness, since she is brindle, which means she really blends in with her surroundings, the light looks just like a head light on a dog.
I found some line that is reflective and glow-in-the-dark that I use on my hammock lines. I have too many problems tripping over brush so I decided to risk lighting up where I am hanging, works very well.
Now that I know where to buy the light I am going to buy a couple for my daughters gear.

LazyBee
02-15-2012, 22:29
Felt a little like Christmas when I opened my mailbox and saw the little cardboard box in there! The light is everything I have heard, it puts out a warm glow and is not a harsh light to look at. I like the Biner clip and yes, the switch is a bit hard to press on and off, but i won't have to worry about it getting turned on accidentally either. I think it will be on every trip and a welcome accessory for sure.
I also got my new ridge line with the Dutch attachments, will be putting it to use on the upcoming Upstate SC Spring 2012 Hang on the Chattooga. I'll use the new light as a beacon for the night. Thanks everyone for the tip on the great little light!
Lazybee

KAW
02-16-2012, 17:35
I have been considering one of them as well. pretty cool. Need to take inventory before I order and see if my son needs anything.

deerfu
02-18-2012, 22:39
Ordered 2 tonight. I have a red one for my dog but haven't been able to find them in a while. I've been using the nite-ize zip-it in the hammock but these are a lot brighter

SmokeBait
02-18-2012, 23:24
Ordered 2 tonight. I have a red one for my dog but haven't been able to find them in a while. I've been using the nite-ize zip-it in the hammock but these are a lot brighter

Thanks deerfu39. You got my last 2 but have another big order due in next week. Yours will ship out Monday.

deerfu
02-19-2012, 08:19
Thanks deerfu39. You got my last 2 but have another big order due in next week. Yours will ship out Monday.

WooHoo!!! I'll make sure I put 'em to good use :D

KAW
02-25-2012, 23:13
I bought two one for me hennesey Hammock and one to put on my black labs collor at night. I cant see her other wise!

SmokeBait
02-26-2012, 12:11
I bought two one for me hennesey Hammock and one to put on my black labs collor at night. I cant see her other wise!

We do the same. Have a black standard poodle and live out where there is no ambient lighting. She disappears w/o the Spotlit. Can can follow her and here antics now.

Have a bunch more of these on order from Nite Ize. I thought they'd be here towards the end of last week but weren't. Hopefully the first part of this coming week we'll have them back in stock.

laziboie
04-14-2013, 21:10
I've been looking at the MoonLit version...looks perfect for a ridgeline!

Amazon has them for $9 w/ prime: Amazon Link (http://www.amazon.com/Nite-Ize-MTL02-07-01-MoonLit-Light/dp/B007HJNEBY/ref=sr_1_36?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1365990629&sr=1-36)

Red Wing
04-14-2013, 21:17

We use one for our pup at night too, whether jogging in the neighborhood or on the trail.

Brute1100
04-14-2013, 21:23
I have one of the ones meant for handlebars on bicycles on the back of my pack... For training I walked a lot at night and it was a peace of kind knowing they could see me, even if it was just so they could run me over...

Also keep on the carabiner kind in my pack just in case for ridgeline light or emergency signalling or table top light use..

SmokeBait
04-15-2013, 16:56
Good ideas Brute. Lots of uses for these handy little lights.