PDA

View Full Version : DIY Hammock Bug Bivy

Coffee
01-12-2007, 13:19
I finally almost completed my bug bivy and wanted to post some pics. It came out really well. Minus a small problem with sewing and starting a zipper.

I need to go back and add some girth to the bottom tapering edges. I didn't fully allow for the sag of the hammock. Right now when I get in it rests on the angled edges.

There version as it stands weighs in at 6.3oz. It will probibly end up close to 7 oz after I add some more netting to it.

This is my best looking project so far. I wanted to share pics with people who would understand. Right now I just get strange looks from my roommate.:rolleyes:

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/7/9/BugBivyOpenV1.jpg

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/7/9/BugBizyClosedV1.jpg

blackbishop351
01-12-2007, 13:25
Man, that looks great! Nice, finished appearance!

I assume the black strips are grosgrain for hem reinforcement? And what's that at the bottom? Did you add a piece of DWR or sil or something?

Coffee
01-12-2007, 13:34
Thanks, it would have been perfect if I would have made the bottom 3 or 4 feet long instead of 2.

The bottom is DWR. I was going to use sil, but I did not have a scrap piece big enough and big not want to cut into a new piece.

I used GGR at the starting points of the zippers. I put a piece on both sides to reinforce it and keep the zipper from opening too far. I also put a 2" piece on each end where it opens for the strap to go through.

The rest where it looks like it could be is just how I rolled the seams on the noseeum. The top is the same seam that you put on a tarps ridgeline. On the tappered edges I sewn the netting together, then rolled them and sewn them again to hide of edges.

headchange4u
01-12-2007, 14:29
That looks sweet. Got another project for my ever growing DIY list....

Grinder
01-12-2007, 14:42
Good looking work.

But, HUH?

There has to be 3 feet under the hammock bottom in the picture. Are you saying the hammock sags more than that when you get in it?

Or, do the sides moving out take up the slack and more?

Tom

Just Jeff
01-12-2007, 14:56
Great project, Nate. Isn't it frustrating when you get it perfect...except for one little piece? At least it sounds like an easy fix this time.

Sounds like you did the same thing with the girth that I did on my TravelPod...it's kinda hard to estimate how a 2D shape will end up in 3D. My Pod is fine if I just lay straight, but if I get diagonal I end up pushing on the Pod near the feet and it's enough to compress the insulation. Not really a big deal, though - now that I have enough OD DWR I would have made a new one anyway so I guess the kids get a gray one!

Coffee
01-12-2007, 15:19
There is a lot of room in the butt area. I wanted to leave some room incase I wanted to put some gear in there. The problem is with the leg and upper back to head area. When I am laying in it there is only about 1 foot or so underneath.

I am going to add a piece of netting 36" long by 18" wide to each side. That should give me the room I need. If not I'll see if I can shorten the distance from my hammock to the ridgeline.

Perkolady
01-12-2007, 15:46
WOW hammock engineer, great job!

Gee, with all these projects, you sure deserve a girl with a frikkin' laser on her head ! :D

Perkolady

The Breeze
01-12-2007, 16:31
you cook tooo?:D hehehehehe

neo
01-12-2007, 23:53
I finally almost completed my bug bivy and wanted to post some pics. It came out really well. Minus a small problem with sewing and starting a zipper.

I need to go back and add some girth to the bottom tapering edges. I didn't fully allow for the sag of the hammock. Right now when I get in it rests on the angled edges.

There version as it stands weighs in at 6.3oz. It will probibly end up close to 7 oz after I add some more netting to it.

This is my best looking project so far. I wanted to share pics with people who would understand. Right now I just get strange looks from my roommate.:rolleyes:

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/7/9/BugBivyOpenV1.jpg

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/7/9/BugBizyClosedV1.jpg

:) awesome,excellent work great job:cool: neo

Coffee
01-13-2007, 02:56
Thanks for all the kind words.

I just got done modifying my bug bivy. I'll post some pics in the morning. It weighs in at exactly 7 oz on my scale. It almost looks like I planed that in the first place.

I must really have some DIY issues. Now I am modifying my own homemade gear.:eek:

The Breeze
01-13-2007, 08:50
mod mod mod mod mdo what looks and sounds great :p

Coffee
01-15-2007, 15:20
I am finaly done modifying this thing. I added one piece and still wasn't thinking 3 dimensionally. I added a second piece and it works good. The finished product is 7.5 oz.

Here is the finished product.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/7/9/HammockBugBivyV2.jpg

Here is a detail shot of what I added. If I had to do it again, I would have this in from the start. I would probibly make the bottom piece a little wider.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/7/9/HammockBugBivyDetailV2.jpg

I am going to shorten the length from my ridgeline to the hammock. That should give me a little more room. It's a little hard to get in and out of. I am going to give a bug netting hammock sock a try and see what I like better.

speyguy
01-16-2007, 00:35
Top notch. Looks great! I see why your name is Hammock Engineer.

peanuts
01-19-2007, 15:19
oh wowwwww its awsome. am so jealous, i still can't sew a thing:(

Coffee
01-19-2007, 15:28
Thanks. You can learn. If I can do it, anyone can.

peanuts
01-19-2007, 16:02
trust me he i have tried..many many times. its not my forte:(

Coffee
01-19-2007, 16:15
Ahh now I understand. I just treat it like a big lego project and kind of figure things out as I go.

The Breeze
01-19-2007, 16:27
cooool bugggging net that is. you got it going on:eek: :D

Coffee
01-20-2007, 01:01
Thanks.

A suggestion to anyone else who tries to make one. Make the zipper opening longer. It is hard to get in and out of. I think if I made another I would make it zip from one end to the other along the bottom edge, if that makes sense. That way you could completly remove it or make the opening bigger to get into.

Grinder
01-29-2007, 13:26
Hammock Engineer,

How long do you think a horizontal zipper should be? I'm guessing 6 feet would be long enough.

I prototyped my zhammock with bugnet yesterday, by tying the bugnet into the hammock knots. When tested, the bugnet would not seal with the sides when I got in it.

This means I'll be making a byer type mosquito hammock, without the strings.

I had a Byer, but can't for the life of me remember if the zipper went full length or not.

TIA
Tom

Coffee
01-29-2007, 13:36
Are you going to have the zipper attached to the bugnet on one side and the hammock on the other? If so I would have it on at least one full side. If you put it on 3 sides you could have the netting hand off of the hammock when you do not need it. You could put the zipper all the way around. Then you could completly remove the bugnetting when you do not need it.

If you are doing something else I amhaving problems visualizing it. I would not go any shorter than 4 feet unless you had to on the horizontal zipper. You don't have to open it all the way, but the option is there.

Drop
01-29-2007, 16:16
Hammock Engineer,

This means I'll be making a byer type mosquito hammock, without the strings.

I had a Byer, but can't for the life of me remember if the zipper went full length or not.

TIA
Tom

It's full length, Had my first time trying 'the other side' today :).
The DD has both sides zippered to give you the choice though I could see the advantage in having at least 3 sides if not a completly removable setup.

Grinder
01-29-2007, 21:57
I will sew the ends and one side of the bugnet to one ply of the two ply hammock. the zipper will go in the fourth side

Then the two plys of the zhammock will be sewn only on the ends. I plan on leaving the two plys separate on the long sides. This will make inserting the pads much easier. It's a royal pain now. I don't think the pads will slip out. If they do, I can always sew together the center part later, like the zhammock directions call for.

Drop says the Byer has a full length zipper. Since some of the hammock length get used in the gather and tie ( a sheet bend knot in my case) I'm going to make the zipper 6 feet long. That should be long enough to allow sitting and swinging feet inside. Maybe I should go 8 feet??

Thanks for the comments, data and advice.

Tom

Coffee
01-30-2007, 00:42
Something to consider is that it will make a bigger opening if you have a opening in 2 directions. Think L shape and not I shape. You will have to depend on the fabric to strech to get in vs the hole the opening makes. Try setting the hammock up and pinning the bugnetting down everywhere where there is not going to be a zipper. That will give you a good idea of what you want to do.

Grinder
01-30-2007, 07:27
I forgot to add that the bug netting is exactly the same size as the hammock, and it doesn't hang loosely when on the bottom.

This is real world experience with the Byer, not theoretical.

I've decided to stay as close to the byer design as possible, so the zipper will be as long as possible.

Tom

Coffee
01-30-2007, 12:45
Sounds like you got it down. Post some pics when you are done with it.

Niteowl
06-24-2014, 11:45
Nice work!

SilvrSurfr
06-24-2014, 12:46
Here you have it folks, the Zombie Thread of the Day!

latriper
06-24-2014, 15:11
Hey Coffee, huge thanks for posting this! I had the same problem where the hammock sagged to far and it constricted the bug net. I am using the black window sheers from WMart. I also added some length to mine since I have an eleven foot hammock. I had initially decided on an opening at one end that could be cinched up from inside. I have seen a video from Sgt. Rock on this design. However, I have not been very happy with this and thought about adding a zipper instead. I reclaimed a zipper (9 ft.) from a sleeping bag. My plan is to add additional depth to the bug net 12-18 inches?? it is currently 41 inches deep and add the zipper horizontally. I would love to get your thoughts and any clarification on sewing the zipper to the netting. I plan to use the entire 9 feet of zipper since weight is not a concern and I do not think I can cut the zipper and reattach the stops. If you (or anyone) has any advice or suggestions on this I would greatly appreciate. BTW, I visit your city quite often and it has the absolute best food in the entire world IMHO.