PDA

View Full Version : PA Grand Canyon Hang

Ramblinrev
05-27-2008, 07:08
Anybody interested in hanging around the Grand Canyon of PA? I don't live terribly far from there so I would be willing to scout out some possible hanging spots and set something up. To stay in one place more than one day we would need a permit. They cost nothing and are very easy to obtain.

The other option would be to hike along the West Rim Trail which is a total of 30 miles along the West rim of the canyon. Hence the name. :)

I don't have a date for this, just flying the flag to see who salutes so to speak.

NCPatrick
05-27-2008, 07:29
Can you post some info about this area (Google maps or something?) And what dates are you thinking about?

Thanks.

Ramblinrev
05-27-2008, 07:43
http://www.greenworks.tv/radio/earthtonesimages/grandcanyonofpa2.jpg

There's a pic for starters.

As far as a date.... summer would work but Autumn could be glorious. It depends on the weather we have. Lots of leaf peepers around in the fall.

NCPatrick
05-27-2008, 08:00
Thanks for the picture. Looks fantastic. I don't know what I'll be doing this Autumn, but maybe a trip to PA would be in order... :)

Ramblinrev
05-27-2008, 08:14
Pine Creek Gorge: The other Grand Canyon (http://www.geotimes.org/oct07/article.html?id=Travels1007.html)

http://www.geotimes.org/oct07/Travels1007_gorge_kerrie.jpg

If that don't stir the pot... nothing will.

Oh-No
05-27-2008, 08:16
Anybody interested in hanging around the Grand Canyon of PA?
The other option would be to hike along the West Rim Trail which is a total of 30 miles along the West rim of the canyon. Hence the name. :)

I'd be interested, depending on the dates. It's about a 6hr. drive for me.
I've hiked the West Rim Trail, very nice, worth doing, not a lot of good campsites for ground dwellers but good trees everywhere.

HappyCamper
05-27-2008, 08:25
I may be interested too depending on date. We were there last year and I picked up the trail guide for the West Rim trail.

Iafte
05-27-2008, 08:32
I have done the West Rim Trail before. It would be a great place for a group hike. I am in, let me know dates.

Bug-Bait
05-27-2008, 10:10
Wow!!! Looks beautiful. Keep me posted.

Dutch
05-27-2008, 10:37
I have done the West Rim Trail and would love to do a group hike. Summer would be good since we will have the fall hang. Although Summer is almost here so you better plan it fast.

Ramblinrev
05-27-2008, 10:48
Realistically I think we are either talking August of October. June is around the corner, July is filling up. August would be a month before MAHHA and October would be a month after MAHHA. I really don't want to compete with the group hang in Sept partly because I want to go to it.

July 4th weekend might be possible for me. That's a long weekend for most.

As my signature says I am very gimpy. So if I lead a group hike it won't be fast and it won't be a buttkicker. Whether we would even be able to do the whole trail would be up in the air.

So let me hear some feedback as to when you folks could be free to do this. We'll try to make the best arrangements possible.

2Questions
05-27-2008, 11:00
I've hiked the WRT several times in all seasons. Water sources can be a concern during the summer. My favorite time is the fall months. I know several good camping sites...even for ground dwellers. If you would like some help with planning, I'd give it. The WRT is a linear hike...would you entertain the Old Loggers Path, due east also in Tiaghdahton State Forest? This is a loop trail. Has plenty of campsites, not too difficult and good water year round. Just a thought.

HappyCamper
05-27-2008, 11:03
How long of a loop is it?

Ramblinrev
05-27-2008, 11:14
OLP if a fine trail. Just not quite a scenic as the canyon to people who haven't been there. OLP is about 27 miles I think _BUT_ it is wonderfully divided almost in half.

2Q is correct to a point about the water on the WRT. I have been through in the summer and there have been reliable streams, just not as many as might be wished. It is a linear trail but it is only thirty miles or so and the shuttle possibilities are not too hard to work out.

My first thought with the WRT was a base hang and some day hiking. OLP would afford the same possibilities.

Old Loggers Path (http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/hiking/logger.aspx)

I am easy. As far as I am concerned we can go with whatever the most folks want to do.

2Questions
05-27-2008, 11:15
It's about 27 miles. It has a nice bailout road running thru that allows an 11 mile hike on the bottom and a 15 miler to the top. I didn't pull my maps..but I'm pretty sure these numbers are close. Go here for details. Old Loggers Path (http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/hiking/logger.aspx)

2Questions
05-27-2008, 11:18
Could stay at Colton Point group area off the WRT and dayhike? Also in the Asaph wildnerness area one may find some animals! And don't forget the Sunset ice cream store in Asaph!

Ramblinrev
05-27-2008, 11:22
It is my understanding the Asaph area has been logged within the last couple of years so I am not sure what all it looks like. I had a hike planned there but had to cancel it cause I was still just too gimpy.

Ice cream at Ansonia is possible unless we do the OLP then it is a bit of a trek.

2Questions
05-27-2008, 11:25
One more thought...for those not familiar with the WRT. I usually hike south to north..Blackwell to Asaph (the ice cream store at the north terminus) but know of some who have biked back to Blackwell on the rail-to-trail road. Guaranteed rattlesnake sightings in the summer!! About 19 miles back on the Railroad trail.

2Questions
05-27-2008, 11:26
Ansonia...I keep saying Asaph!! An over fifty moment?!

Ramblinrev
There is a July 4th weekend hike of the WRT being planned by a bunch of ground dwellers that we could probly horn in on. Nice folk, I hike with most of them fairly frequently.

The rail trail is a nice trail to ride but it sucks bigtime to hike on. Crushed limestone base.

My thought was to do the WRT from about the halfway point north to the northern end or so. Take it slow and easy but that's where the views are really spectacular. I don't want to have to pay for the group camping area at Colton. Have you hung there? The state parks don't allow things tied to the trees. The forest has different rules.

2Questions
Yeah...I don't think there is any ice cream near the OLP!

2Questions
05-27-2008, 11:28
I'll be away July 4th. I'd be available come fall wherever you go however.

Ramblinrev
05-27-2008, 11:39
I'm getting the idea that Fall would be a better time for whatever we do. Let's look to October. I know it seems a long time from now but not really. The obvious weekend would be Columbus day weekend for a long weekend possibility. But the trails under consideration can be very heavily used that weekend. We might experience less traffic if we chose onother. On the other hand, we would probly lose a day of day of hiking/hanging.

Iafte
05-27-2008, 11:42
When I did the WRT we hiked south to north then biked back south. other than the rain all day when we hiked, it was a good trip. My hiking partner hiked then canoed back before.

I've done half of the OLP, I blew out my knee after the 16 mile northern section and had a nice local give me a ride back to my truck.

Either Trail is good to me, if we are going to do short days, I may bring my boys.

Ramblinrev
05-27-2008, 11:51
Fair warning... I am ok for maybe up to ten miles if I have all day to do it. I am looking at more like 6 miles.

I have made no bones about my mobility issues. To put this in perspective about three years ago I could not walk half a mile. So... I don't have anything to prove to anyone, nanny nanny poo poo....:) But iff'n you are looking for a buttkicker, you'll want to look elsewhere. By all means bring the kids. Not a problem for me.

DGrav
05-27-2008, 12:29
Fall sounds great as long as it is not 10/24 (5 year anniversary), Jessi and I would be up for it.

Iafte
05-27-2008, 12:59
So looking at a 5 day trip, plus travel, I would need to find out when my kids are off school for that long in the fall before I could commit.

Fair warning... I am ok for maybe up to ten miles if I have all day to do it. I am looking at more like 6 miles.

I have made no bones about my mobility issues. To put this in perspective about three years ago I could not walk half a mile. So... I don't have anything to prove to anyone, nanny nanny poo poo....:) But iff'n you are looking for a buttkicker, you'll want to look elsewhere. By all means bring the kids. Not a problem for me.

NCPatrick
05-27-2008, 13:21
I'll have to look at the schedule either way. Probably won't make it on July 4th weekend. Actually might not make it at all, it depends on having the stars all align on the right day and time (with a full moon tossed in as well). But maybe!

Ramblinrev
05-27-2008, 16:01
no no... not 5 days. I would do a weekend and just cover what we can cover. Iffn you want to do the whole trail then I just won't lead it. That's not a big deal to me.

2Questions
05-27-2008, 17:01
Ramblinrev,
Have you ever heard of the Allegheny front trail? A New trail near Black Moshannon state park in Centre county. Not sure which is closer for you. So many choices.....so little time!
Allegheny Front Trail,Allegheny Plateau,Allegheny Front,Black Moshannon State Park,Moshannon State Forest,Philipsburg PA,Pennsylvania hiking trails,central Pennsylvania hiking trails,central Pennsylvania (http://alleghenyfronttrail.info/)

Ramblinrev
05-29-2008, 19:05
Ok folks... For kicks and giggles lets look at the weekend of October 10-13, 2008 I really think we can swing the Northern Section of the West Rim Trail. We will be starting somewhere around the Bradley-Wales Picnic area which is half-way up the trail. From there we will make our way north to the Northern Terminus about 15 miles away.

As I warned, this is no butt kicker. Family friendly all the way. The Trail is considered to be easy to moderate with most of the views located in the Northern half of the trail. The foliage color, as always, will be in nature's hands. It could be spectacular.

For groups more than 10 I will need to get a permit. That should not be difficult unless the trail is going to be super-crowded. The other down side to this date is the State Forest campfire fire ban will be in effect. Between Sept 1 and Dec something you can not have a campfire in the state forests without special dispensation from the District Forester. That is entirely dependent on the rainfall and fire risk assessment.

If you are interested in joining this please let me know and I'll deal with the logistics including spotting some cars at appropriate points for shuttle. My e-mail is: ramblnrev1 at verizon (dot) net. Please put "PA Grand Canyon Hang" in the subject if you contact me that way.

Mule
05-29-2008, 19:25
Ok folks... For kicks and giggles lets look at the weekend of October 10-13, 2008 I really think we can swing the Northern Section of the West Rim Trail. We will be starting somewhere around the Bradley-Wales Picnic area which is half-way up the trail. From there we will make our way north to the Northern Terminus about 15 miles away.

As I warned, this is no butt kicker. Family friendly all the way. The Trail is considered to be easy to moderate with most of the views located in the Northern half of the trail. The foliage color, as always, will be in nature's hands. It could be spectacular.

For groups more than 10 I will need to get a permit. That should not be difficult unless the trail is going to be super-crowded. The other down side to this date is the State Forest campfire fire ban will be in effect. Between Sept 1 and Dec something you can not have a campfire in the state forests without special dispensation from the District Forester. That is entirely dependent on the rainfall and fire risk assessment.

If you are interested in joining this please let me know and I'll deal with the logistics including spotting some cars at appropriate points for shuttle. My e-mail is: ramblnrev1 at verizon (dot) net. Please put "PA Grand Canyon Hang" in the subject if you contact me that way.
I am interested, keep me on the list. October is very far away, but I think I can make it. Mule

DGrav
05-29-2008, 21:02
Count me in!

headchange4u
05-29-2008, 21:17
I would like to try and make this hang. I'll see what I can do....

2Questions
05-31-2008, 13:34
I'm going to place it on the calendar with a "Do not erase!" next to it. Should be good if I do it in pen not pencil!!

I'll probably start at Blackwell at the southern terminus and stay Friday night at Bohen run (only 1-1/2 mi. in and good camping next to the river), hike to Bradley Wales area for the hang on Saturday, then out on Sunday for ice cream at Ansonia!
I know it's down the road a stretch, but if anyone wants to carpool from the Lancaster area, let me know...maybe we can work it out. By then, gas might be $8/gallon and a carpool will be a must.

Oh yeah, BTW, the hand pump at Bradley Wales was broke the last time I was there and when it did work it only delivered rusty water not fit for the dog. Definitely have to bring in some water. BW is a great spot to hang. Room for tents and hangers right along the trail at the edge of the canyon.

2Questions
05-31-2008, 13:38
I would like to try and make this hang. I'll see what I can do....

You have a ways to come. If you can get to Lancaster, I can get us to the WRT. It's another 3-1/2 hrs north from where I live. ;)

Ramblinrev
05-31-2008, 14:08
Hike your own hike dude.....
hehehe

We'll plan on watching you blow past sometime on Saturday. There is water near Bradley Wales but you'll have to filter it rather than trust the pump. But who wants to trust a pump that spits rusty water anyway. The problem with camping right along the trail there is anytime I've done that in the morning the canyon has looked like someone dumped thirty billion tons of cotton balls into it. A little later in the day the clouds disappear and it is beautiful.

My thought was Friday night around BW. Saturday night somewhat north. Sunday night farther north and Monday out assuming schools have Columbus day off. If not then we'll redo the plan but I won't know that until later in the fall.

Ramblinrev
07-10-2008, 19:09
There is a lot of activity shaping up around the first two weeks of October because of the potential for colors. That doesn't bother me any but it means we won't have the trail to ourselves. Depending on how I am feeling, I may be doing a hopscotch of the campsites by road in the car rather than over extending myself. We'll see. There is a campsite at Bradley Wales which is a good site. That's about mile 15. Horse Run and various overlooks in that area are at mile 10 or so. From there, the trail leaves the canyon shortly to return for a whole line of vistas. I might recommend we park the car shuttles at the Reuge trail and car pool on Sunday to the Northern vistas That would loop us around ofr two -three miles of canyon rim walking. That would finish the hike on Sunday with the most scenery for the trip. The rest of the forest is gorgeous, but not as majestic as the canyon.

Lot's of trees. Lots of canyon.

Ramblinrev
08-11-2008, 06:42
It's getting closer to the time for me to scout out the trail and make some decisions. Which would you folks rather do... Highlight the vistas, or make the trek with full packs? I am leaving myself some wiggle room here cause my hiking ability recently has not been the best. I have been physically crapped out after about three miles to the point where my leg muscles will no longer respond and down I go like cordwood. Not the best scenario.

However the great thing about the WRT is that it is easily accessiblefrom the road and so I can pretty much hop the sites as you folks hike it if that is what it turns out to be for me.

Once again I would ask.. if you are interested and plan to attend... please e-mail me at ramblnrev1 (at) verizon (dot) net and put Grand Canyon in the subject. The only folks I have heard from that way so far is DGrav and his wife. Others have been making noise about coming but I would like to be able to have all the names in one place to make things easier for me.

DuctTape
08-11-2008, 10:10
Looks great. Count me in. I will be driving from Rochester, NY if anyone wants to carpool. My availability requires I leave here no earlier than 3pm on Friday, so I might not make it until Sat AM.

Ramblinrev
08-26-2008, 22:59
Ducttape... If we hang Friday night at Bradley wales (which is the plan) you will have absolutely no problem finding us after dark. I mean no problem. You'll probably have more problem finding Bradley Wales after dark but that's only because the signs aren't lit at night. I would not worry about rolling in late. It's easy to find.

Dutch
08-27-2008, 07:04
I just did the WRT on the 15th and 16th. It has been a long time since I did it and I forgot how smooth it was. Really well blazed but the trail is a little overgrown in some places. If you do the shuttle from pine creek outfitters they charge you by the person so it is better to have less people do the shuttle. There is plenty of water flowing. The WRT is probably my favorite trail.

Ramblinrev
08-27-2008, 07:11
Thanks Dutch... My plan is to set cars. It will be a very easy trip. I can't do much of anything else at this point. In fact I consider myself blessed that I can do this much compared to where I've been.

The mountain laurel patches are ALWAYS overgrown. That stuff grows like gangbusters around there. One part of the guidebook says about one particular Mountain Laurel area "Do not leave the trail as it is easy to get lost." or words to that effect.... I found myself bouncing off the Laurel like a ball on a pinball machine ramp. I couldn't have gotten off if I had wanted to.

Rick
08-31-2008, 07:09
Wow!!! I 'd like to jump on board (Toolshed from WB).
I spent many years in Rochester and leada lot of BP trips in PA for the ADK. The WRT (as well as the STS and BFT) was one of my absolute favorites. I haven't been on the trail since probably 2000 when we move to SEPA, but I'd love to get back on it. BW was my favorite Friday night stopover to camp right on the rim.
I will bookmark this thread and I have a couple of vacation days left.

I was hanging down in Slate Run last year at this time for a couple of nights and it got very cold in the valley - I had my 1/2" closed cell foam pad and a 20 degree down bag with me. This will give me an excuse to pick up the 1/4 inch open cell foam pad for my hennessy.

Ramblinrev
09-20-2008, 08:37
out to do a quick scout for some hang sites. It is likely to be quite chilly at nights. I'll reportback.

Ramblinrev
09-21-2008, 18:43
It was nice to get out on the trail solo with my dog. I'll turn this mutt into a camping dog yet. He was actually very good until he caught sight of the car on the way back out. Then it was off to the races. By this time I had let him drag the leash. I recalled him since there were people in the parking area. I could see the wheels turning. "Obey commands or go to the car.... DUH... no brainer..."

I parked at the refuge trail and hiked in to Horse Run. On the way I went past Burdic Run which was dry at the crossing. There was water father downstream but everything was bleow rock level where the trail crosses. Sieman's trail leads off from there and there is a campsite shown on the maps, but I don't remember it. I did not stop to check things out. Horse Run was flowing but while the trees are plentiful there, they are all on some pretty decent hill sides. Don't know about you all but I am not all that skilled at picking a inclined hang yet. Lots of underbrush as well.

I decided to camp at a dry overlook between Burdic Run and Horse Run. Coming from the south, if we stocked up on water at Horse Run it would be a very viable place to hang. If the Siemans Trail campsite is better that is easily within reach for most of you. I am still trying to figure out some timing here. I think this is a long weekend for us as far as school is concerned.

I managed to do the 2.5 miles for a total of five for the two days. Today was shakey, but I did not fall nor did I end up barfing. Both good things.

I tried to get a thermometer key chain at Gander Mt. on my way out but they only stock them during the winter months so they weren't in yet. I suspect the temps were 40's overnight and 70's during the day. I think I am going to have to set the HH aside for the colder weather and take one of my DIY Bridges. That way I can use a pad to sugment my UQ. It wasn't bad last night.. but I did get a bit chilly at times.

Ramblinrev
10-06-2008, 13:09
What started as a posting in May is now around the corner.

Plans call for meeting at Bradley Wales on Friday night and setting cars where people might want to have them. I am most likely going to be road jumping from one place to another as I am still not sure I can deal with a full six to seven miles particularly a couple days in a row. Although I am feeling stronger than I have been.

The easiest way I can describe getting to Bradley Wales is from the south. West Rim Road goes north into the forest just west of Blackwell. Take West Rim Road until you reach the intersection with Bradley Wales Road. Turn right and follow BW road to the picnic area. Park there, follow the WRT blazes to the rim and look for the campsite.

I will expect to be there around supper time if not before.

Weather is currently looking pretty good with highs in the mid 60's and lows in the mid 40's subject to change without notice. The rain forecast is 30%

The campfire question is currently unanswered. We are into the State Forest fire ban time. At this point I do not have more than ten people signed in so a permit will not be required if we intend to move each night.

Friday night will be at Bradley Wales right on the rim. Saturday night I am shooting for the rim between Burdic Run and Horse run. There is an established camp about halfway between the two. There is also a very nice grove closer to Burdic Run. Both are dry. Fill up your water at Horse Run which was running nicely a couple weeks ago. There is a campsite on the maps along the Siemans Trail off Burdic Run. If anyone knows something specific about that site let me know. I could use the help on this.

That would place us within about 8-11 miles from the northern terminus depending on where the camp is and what route options people choose. There is a loop at that point which can be cut off without missing a canyon view. The nicest views farther north are in the Colton Point State Park. The WRT skirts the park boundaries for the most part but does join the park trails until Barbour Rock Trail. That section of trail is by far the view packed. IMO North of Barbour Rock the trail is simply a path to get to the northern Terminus. In other words, not particularly scenic. We'll have some time to discuss plans as we get together.

I'm looking forward to this.

Iafte
10-06-2008, 22:59
I sadly have to bow out. A family function popped up and I can't get out of it. Have fun!

Ramblinrev
10-08-2008, 19:20
temps at Wellsboro slated for mid 60's high and High 30/low 40's

Nice days (10-20% rain) and cool/chilly nights. Sounds good.

Ramblinrev
10-09-2008, 23:12
according to the weather.com maps color should be near peak or at peak this weekend and the probabilityy of rain is reduced to 10% for Friday and Saturday. 20% for Sunday. Mid 60's to low 70's and in the 40's at night. Sounds ideal. There is still time to get packed.

Ramblinrev
10-11-2008, 11:10
I showed up Friday evening and nobody else did. That's just a statement not a gripe. I developed some problems with my eyes, (double vision) and since my wife had a conflict I figured I would cut my losses and head for home. Sorry if anyone showed up on Saturday looking for me. I hope you have/had a good time. The colors were gorgeous but I didn't need to see them twice... :)

Take-a-knee
10-11-2008, 19:08
Sorry to hear that, I wish I could have made it, but GA is a bit too far away. I visited Wellsboro and the gorge for the first time this summer, it is truly a lovely place.

Ramblinrev
10-11-2008, 19:38
The double vision is just a PITA. Happens every so often. It's a nerve inflammation on the spinal cord. grrr.... The whole thing worked for the best. I probly shouldn't be hiking around on canyon rims if I can't see out of both eyes. Which trail do I step on? The right one of course... but that's had to know sometimes.

2Questions
10-12-2008, 19:12
Ramblinrev,
We got there about 10:30am Saturday, sorry we missed you. There were many WRT hikers, many day hikers and boat load of "drive to the vista lookers"...oh yeah, and about 2 dozen motorcyclists on the West Rim Rd. Sounded like "thunder in the mountain." It was a great weekend, beautiful colors, although I think a week early, and great hanging. The WRT has always been a favorite hike of mine. Give me a few days and I'll get some pictures up.
2Q