PDA

View Full Version : Dutchware ridgelight

Dutch
01-16-2012, 19:46
I have been searching for just the right LED light for my ridgeline. I wanted something that would have an on/off switch so I could hang it from my hammock ridgeline and it would be handy for reading or changing. I got tired of trying to sleep with my headlamp on and if I took it off I would have a hard time finding it. I have been buying small LED light just to find out most are for a keychain and the light is only on while it is squeezed. I also wanted something with replacable batteries since I tend to fall asleep while reading.:D

This little baby only weighs 6 grams and I just let it hang from my ridgeline perminately with the small split ring. I obviously didn't make these but I did think it was cool it says titanium on the button, even though it is plastic.

http://www.outdoortrailgear.com/trail-gear-gallery/dutch-ridgelight/

dragon360
01-16-2012, 19:51
Saw this on your site as well. Seems I have afew things to add!

Gra_factor
01-16-2012, 20:15
This one's good. You can use it as a flashlight, and it has two area light settings as well. I hang it from my ridge line and despite its length it doesn't touch me at all.

Plus I engineered it, so you know it's good :D

http://www.batteriesinc.net/edmcc42e.html

Happycamaper
01-16-2012, 23:00
Dutch, thank you for the donations @ the FL hang, I won the ridgelight and it's prefect for the hammock. Keep up the great work.

Black Wolf
01-16-2012, 23:26
Based on an idea shared with me by Bear Chaser .. I took a small piece of plastic shopping bag and wrap it around the light .. makes for a great diffuser .. think Japanese lantern ..

Flounder
01-17-2012, 00:25
I've been looking for one of these that you don't have to continually squeeze for it to work. I bought a Photon and was disappointed when I found out it wouldn't stay on. Nice find Dutch, and nice price as well.

SGT Rock
01-17-2012, 01:21
I saw that on your site last night but didn't know what they looked like. Thanks for posting a pic.

born2roam
01-17-2012, 03:01
..... I bought a Photon and was disappointed when I found out it wouldn't stay on.......

Huh? Must be many different type of Photon's then. I have two (one red, one white light) and both have got a little switch to keep them permanently on (or off).

Recently changed the battery in the red light one. Most of the times I use my Petzl E-lite and when I am done using it, it is around my neck until daylight rises and I reluctantly crawl out of the hammock (after breakfast) to really get up....

With the Photon you can (or could) get a small clip (with magnets) to clip on your shirt, baseball cap or.... ridge line. Personally not using it like that but just to give some more ideas with faster/less fiddle factor removing from ridge line.

Grtz Johan

MedicineMan
01-17-2012, 03:57
BlackWolf---get us a pic of the 'diffused' light....love the Japenese lantern ambience.

russmay
01-17-2012, 08:13
I have these on all my hammock ridgelines.
http://www.rei.com/product/671104/princeton-tec-pulsar-ii-led-light

SGT Rock
01-17-2012, 11:11
Now that sounds like a cool idea.

Dutch
01-17-2012, 11:25
Now that sounds like a cool idea.

I know I'm looking to try it out.

Yukon
01-17-2012, 11:29
I usually just larks head my headlamp from my ridgeline, but I like this much better. Guess I have to order more stuff now...

Yukon
01-17-2012, 11:44
And order has just been placed lol

Dutch
01-17-2012, 11:56
And order has just been placed lol

Check your email:D

Two Tents
01-17-2012, 12:16
Take an empty small plastic spice container ( the 1/2 size container), drill the lid, loop the light with a hair tie, through the lid with the hair tie for a hanger= nice little ridge light. Ya gotta unscrew to turn off and on but no biggie there. The little plastic spice bottles that are a little cloudy ( not the clear plastic) work the best for diffusing the light. I made one and gave to someone for a Christmas Secret Santa extra deed of kindness and they said they really like it. Just sayin.

Yukon
01-17-2012, 12:20
Check your email:D

Blast! (spoken in a Stewie Griffin voice)

BootHole
01-17-2012, 12:54
I've never thought of hanging a small light like this from my ridgeline but I like the idea. What type of battery(s) does the light run on and does it come with battery(s) in it? And what color is the light, yellow only?

TNT67HABU
01-17-2012, 13:28
Couple of 'Mini-Binerz' and a 'Light' comin this way!!

Thinkin maybe shoulda got a couple more 'Hooks'....

COULDA - SHOULDA - WOULDA

THANX DUTCH !!!!!

Dutch
01-17-2012, 13:52
I've never thought of hanging a small light like this from my ridgeline but I like the idea. What type of battery(s) does the light run on and does it come with battery(s) in it? And what color is the light, yellow only?

It uses (2) 3v CR2016 batteries that are included. They are easily replacable. The light is white.

Gumbo
01-17-2012, 14:17
Dutch sent 2 of these for the raffle at the Florida Hang. They went fast in the raffle. I with somewhere near 70 hangers present, I suspect Dutch will see more than a few orders from the Florida Sector.

Thanks Dutch for your support. We hope you can come hang with us next year!

SGT Rock
01-17-2012, 14:21
I've got one of those type of lights somewhere around here somewhere. I need to try making a diffuser.

I'm tapatalkin' ya'll

BootHole
01-17-2012, 16:25
It uses (2) 3v CR2016 batteries that are included. They are easily replacable. The light is white.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll be adding a couple of these lights the next time I place an order for more DutchWare. Must keep the obsession at bay for a little while at least :D

Hawk-eye
01-20-2012, 08:27
WHEW BOY ... got me one of these bad boys in my Ti-mini Biner order ... VERY NICE. I've got a couple different kinds of these lights over the years ... I like this one better than even the more expensive ones! Dang thing is bright too!

vdeal
01-20-2012, 10:07
Back when the current lightweight backpacking movement started in the mid 90's one of the first things many of us did was to start using LED lights. The first major small LED light out there was the Photon Light. (http://www.photonlight.com) I ended up with several mostly white but one yellow. They all have a locking tab that can make them stay on by themselves without squeezing. Flounder, you need to check yours for a little tab that locks it on. Surprised that few here have heard of them.

Hawk-eye
01-20-2012, 10:35
I have a couple of the photon lights ... the dang little switch was prone to failure on a few. This one Dutch has ... squeeze it and it stays on ... squeeze it again and it's off. Takes a good squeeze so I'm not worried about it accidently being turned on though. It's a nice little light!

moto_dcf
01-20-2012, 13:01
FWIW.. This (http://www.niteize.com/products/s-biner-getlit) is a nice light, has a carabiner-style clip built in and opens bottles! Just sayin'.. opens bottles..

bab5freak
01-20-2012, 13:24
Getlit. That's funny.