PDA

View Full Version : JH net suspension

miisterwright
05-29-2008, 00:23
I'm about to convert to ring/buckles...and am trying to figure out how I want to keep the netting up. I' never used the stock strings that tie up higher on the tree. I think they are pretty worthless. For my first couple outings I've used a separate ridgeline and some short lengths of 550 cord tied into prusiks. The problem with that setup is that you have to tie 3 things to the tree. (hammock, ridgeline, tarp) I tried to tie the ridgeline to the supports, but if find that it leaves the netting way to low. Just wondering what you other Claytor hangers are doing.

Nails
05-29-2008, 08:39
I don't use a ridgeline, so I don't fully understand the problem. But not knowing what I'm talking about isn't enough to keep me from talking, so here it goes...

I've tied the off the netting to my tarp ridgeline from time to time with some success. You can't do that unless you're hanging low below the tarp; if you're set up expecting bad weather and have your hammock right underneath the tarp, I don't think this will method will work. It's worked for me alright, but I don't mind the netting being mere centimeters from my face. Also, it would force you to use a tarp ridgeline every time, and ridgelines can accelerate wear on a tarp (or so I've heard).

I've thought about using those detachable clip-on things that you can attach to a tarp, but haven't tried that yet.

headchange4u
05-29-2008, 09:11
Some people use an arrow shaft as a spreader bar for the netting and separate guy lines to lift the netting. See this thread:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/homemade-gear-discussion/2757-claytor-spreader-bars.html

canoebie
05-29-2008, 12:29
I simply made spreader bars from some old tent hardware I had around, 14" in length with a joint so they break down into two pieces. I also replaced the stock shock cord for the netting with much heavier shock cord, also from an old tent, and then tied a line to the shock cord and attached a biner to it and attach that biner to a biner at the front and back of the rainfly. I have biners on all points so my set up is quick. I don't use the climbing rated biners, so if I were to potentially face high winds, I would do more tie off. I also use figure 9's to tighten the rope from the biner on the tree to the biner on the fly. In addition, I use them on the sides going to the ground. NO KNOTS anywhere.

With this system, on a recent 4 day canoe trip, I could have my fly, and hammock set up in less than 60 seconds. I use biners and cinch buckles on the suspension as well. I am relatively new to this. I want simple and fast. While all my buddies were struggling with their tent poles, I was set up, gathering fire wood, and starting dinner.

David

miisterwright
05-29-2008, 23:03
I'm not really talking about spreaders...I do use spreader bars most of the time. (Just a stick cut to the right size)
What I was trying to ask is if everyone is tying the net up to the trees the stock way or using a separate ridgeline or something else. I'm trying to make the hanging of the hammock quick and easy.

It seems to me that because of it's length the JH hangs most comfortably without a lot of sag. That doesn't leave enough room to use a structural ridgeline to hold the net up very high. Thus, if I use a ridgeline it needs to be tied to the tree higher than my supports. Just takes more time and I think there must be a better way.

Splat
05-30-2008, 10:51
I have about 25' of Paracord that I use for a ridgeline to tie the bugnetting to, then after securing to the trees I come back with the loose ends and tie the ends of the tarp up. I also use spreader bars.