PDA

View Full Version : Forums

cavediver2
05-29-2008, 11:41
I was wondering if this forum program that is running has the abilty to run chat on it like some of the others out there. I was on the Survival Discussion Board and Forum - Urban and Wilderness Topics (http://www.survivalistboards.com/) forum and it looks allot like this one and was wondering if this one has chat but it's just turned off so no one can use it.

My thought is that It would be nice to chat with people on here instead of PMing back and fourth and thought that it might keep more people here as well. just a thought.

~kev~
05-29-2008, 12:18
That website is running flashchat from this page - Darren's Script Archive - chatrooms, image galleries, applets, advanced php/mysql systems, website scripts, flash xml, ajax chat (http://www.tufat.com/category5.htm)

Its only $5 and it fully integrates with this forum software.

cavediver2
05-29-2008, 12:20
That website is running flashchat from this page - Darren's Script Archive - chatrooms, image galleries, applets, advanced php/mysql systems, website scripts, flash xml, ajax chat (http://www.tufat.com/category5.htm)

Its only $5 and it fully integrates with this forum software.

5 dollars a month or year or what

~kev~
05-29-2008, 12:38
5 dollars a month or year or what

$5 forever - you buy the script, upload it to your server and install it. It fully integrates with existing useraccounts. I think it took a whole 5 minutes to install it on the other site.

If you really want to get fancy -

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=166834

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=121884

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=143840

Those will put a block on your page saying who is in the chat room, and integrate it into a forum page.

Coffee
05-29-2008, 14:58
I don't know if it was covered here, but that comes up on WB every so often. The biggest reason against is the ideas and conversation is lost to record and from the entire community. It closes more things than making an open exchange of ideas. For these reasons I'm against integrating it within HF.

If you are looking to chat with a couple people, there are plenty of chat programs out there.

nogods
05-29-2008, 21:02
I agree with coffee

attroll
05-30-2008, 01:22
I don't know if it was covered here, but that comes up on WB every so often. The biggest reason against is the ideas and conversation is lost to record and from the entire community. It closes more things than making an open exchange of ideas. For these reasons I'm against integrating it within HF.

If you are looking to chat with a couple people, there are plenty of chat programs out there.

I have discussed this with the Admins here on Hammock Forums and we have come to the same conclusion as the reason WB does not have a chat program.

If we were to install the program then we believe it would take away from the posting on the forums. People would be logging into chat and asking questions and getting answers. What about the people that were not logging into the chat program?

They would not benefit from what was being discussed there. There might possibly be a lot less posting in the forums if chat were being used. If we kept it in the forums then no one would be left out or miss anything.

The web site was created to try and get all hammockers to unite. If less gets posted in the forums and more in chat then the other people searching the web would not get as many search results back (if that makes sense).

rhjanes
05-30-2008, 08:40
From my experiances with chat rooms. MOST of the time, it is a total non-productive free-for-all. Too many people. That said, I have seen Private chat rooms set up. For the purpose of completing member-to-member sales. Such as when you want to sell some old gear, and have someone interested. Instead of having to PM or post, they can arrainge to be in a chat room and complete the discussion in 3 minutes. Then again, there seems to be these "phone" things around my house..........

cavediver2
05-30-2008, 09:41
I have discussed this with the Admins here on Hammock Forums and we have come to the same conclusion as the reason WB does not have a chat program.

If we were to install the program then we believe it would take away from the posting on the forums. People would be logging into chat and asking questions and getting answers. What about the people that were not logging into the chat program?

They would not benefit from what was being discussed there. There might possibly be a lot less posting in the forums if chat were being used. If we kept it in the forums then no one would be left out or miss anything.

The web site was created to try and get all hammockers to unite. If less gets posted in the forums and more in chat then the other people searching the web would not get as many search results back (if that makes sense).

Yep make perfect sense did'nt look at it that way and I am sure that is what would happen if it did so you all are right it was just a thought. In the meantime I will just talk to those few on yahoo about everyday things like how many fish I caught yesterday:D

~kev~
05-30-2008, 10:49
Instead of me telling you how my members love the chat room, and it might be the best $5 I ever spent on my site, and how a lot of the lurkers go into the chat room and post there, and how it brings the community closer together, and how a lot of the members like the real time chat over the forum, and this and that......., all I have to say is this is yalls site, and it will run it as all of you see fit. I just disagree with all of your statements. :)

A member is like a customer, give them what they want and they will stay. Dont give them what they want and they will go somewhere else. Do your members want a chat room? If so, give it to them, its only $5 and 20 minutes of your time.

I am just a visiting site owner, I sure do not want to start any problems. But I do wish this place got more traffic. And with the content this place has - it should be rocking and rolling.

Visit my site, join, make your 5 post (members with less then 5 post can not join the chat room) and try the chat room out, It would give yall a good example of how it works.

cavediver2
05-30-2008, 10:57
dang guys it was just a thought did'nt mean to get anything started

attroll
05-30-2008, 11:50
I am just a visiting site owner, I sure do not want to start any problems. But I do wish this place got more traffic. And with the content this place has - it should be rocking and rolling.

Now that was very contradicting. Your trying to push a chat room and then you say you want to see more traffic and content. What is traffic going to do to help the web site if the traffic is for a chat room. Without content there will be no traffic. There will also be no content on the site if things are discussed in a chat room. What is discussed in the chat room does not stay on the site where others can read it.

I have purchased this software that you are referring to for another web site I own. I installed it about a year ago and it got hacked bad and the bandwidth got overused, that was when I removed it and installed another chat program simular to it. I installed chat because my users on that web site insisted that they wanted chat. After the chat was installed then the amount of postings in the forums became less.

Visit my site, join, make your 5 post (members with less then 5 post can not join the chat room) and try the chat room out, It would give yall a good example of how it works.
Out of curiosity I would like to know the link to your web site if you don't mind posting it to me in a PM.

dang guys it was just a thought did'nt mean to get anything started
No problem. You did not start anything. Thank you for the suggestion. Suggestions and feedback are always welcome. If you have anymore then please let us know.