PDA

View Full Version : Midwest Hang?

fin
05-29-2008, 15:20
Is there any interest in calling a Northern Mississippi Valley / Midwest Hang, and does anyone have any good suggestions for location? Illinois, Iowa, Indiana, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan circumference?

GrizzlyAdams
05-29-2008, 17:17
Is there any interest in calling a Northern Mississippi Valley / Midwest Hang, and does anyone have any good suggestions for location? Illinois, Iowa, Indiana, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan circumference?

I've been eyeing the Shawnee National Forest in southern Illinois as a possible location for camping but haven't gotten there yet. I believe you can rough camp off trail. That's a bit far though for MN and WI.

Location-wise, the Starved Rock State Park in IL would work for you, me, and perhaps IA folks. About 50 miles south-west-west from Chicago. Camping in a standard camp ground but with some nice short walks with river views nearby. Key issue is that I'm unsure about IL DNR attitude towards hammocks.

I wonder if there is somewhere deeper north in WI, up into the Dells maybe?

Grizz

Mule
05-29-2008, 18:47
There is also the Hoosier National Forest in Indiana. I have also hike once in the Shawnee. That's pretty too. I would be interested in going anywhere you all decide, but if you do ever want to come to Indiana, I could host the hike, planning, etc. Mule

fin
05-29-2008, 20:30
I've been eyeing the Shawnee National Forest in southern Illinois as a possible location for camping but haven't gotten there yet. I believe you can rough camp off trail. That's a bit far though for MN and WI.

Location-wise, the Starved Rock State Park in IL would work for you, me, and perhaps IA folks. About 50 miles south-west-west from Chicago. Camping in a standard camp ground but with some nice short walks with river views nearby. Key issue is that I'm unsure about IL DNR attitude towards hammocks.

Grizz

There is also the Hoosier National Forest in Indiana. I have also hike once in the Shawnee. That's pretty too. I would be interested in going anywhere you all decide, but if you do ever want to come to Indiana, I could host the hike, planning, etc. Mule

Both options are doable for me, Illinois or Indiana - Shawnee is a little far for a long weekend though - probably 7-9 hours of drive time at least. Hoosier might be just as far as the Shawnee. I guess either would depend on when and how long. As far as Wisconsin goes, I know plenty of trails with wilderness camping in far northern Wisconsin, but they are too far for any of us on a long weekend - 8 hours just for me to get there. Even some Island hiking on Lake Superior - my home stomping grounds, very cool, but too far.

There is Devil's Lake near Baraboo / WI Dells, which has some great cliffs and part of the IAT, but it's campground camping, but does have group camping sites which are a little more remote from the main campground. Wyalusing in SW Wisconsin is one of the prettiest campgrounds, overlooking the Mississippi / Wisconsin River convergence near Prairie Du Chein, but again a campground type situation but also has group camping sites and 27 miles of trail. All of the Wisconsin campground trails are short until they get the Ice Age Trail all hooked together. I might have to do a scouting trip if anything trips anybody's trigger.

steene
05-29-2008, 20:44
Wisconsin sounds good to me, Iowa as well. Certainly closer to me than any of the other hangs have been. Keep me posted as to a potential Midwest hang.

fin
05-29-2008, 20:56
Does anyone know anything about Iowa?

Iafte
05-29-2008, 21:23
Does anyone know anything about Iowa?

It has corn? :D

clodbuster
05-29-2008, 21:35
yeah but our corn is really big.

steene
05-29-2008, 21:58
Bluff country in the northeast corner is nice. Turkey river country.

cavediver2
05-29-2008, 23:01

Grizz

How about you and I putting togeather something at garden of the god's or fern cliff?

Mule
05-29-2008, 23:45
How about you and I putting togeather something at garden of the god's or fern cliff?
I have backpacked Garden of the Gods, but what is Fern Cliff? Google doesn't even know the place.

GrizzlyAdams
05-30-2008, 07:12
Mule, have you ever hiked the trail along the south edge of Salomonie Reservior (see maps.google.com coordinates 40.784701,-85.624008 ). Not far from you at all.

About 20 miles long. Good for hanging lots of places along the way, although stealth might be needed. There is a campground about mid-way where one could rent sites, pitch tents, and disappear!

Grizz

GrizzlyAdams
05-30-2008, 07:19
FishingFinn- what about either the Northern or Southern portion of the Kettle Moraine State Forest? Both near you. Both list backpacking trails and camping sites with shelters. No hanging allowed?

Grizz

Mule
05-30-2008, 08:58
FishingFinn- what about either the Northern or Southern portion of the Kettle Moraine State Forest? Both near you. Both list backpacking trails and camping sites with shelters. No hanging allowed?

Grizz
Grizz, no I haven't but I will look into it. With the price of gas, stealth may become popular. Have you hiked this? Mule

NCPatrick
05-30-2008, 09:08
45 minutes north of Milwaukee? That's getting up there...

GrizzlyAdams
05-30-2008, 14:02
Grizz, no I haven't but I will look into it. With the price of gas, stealth may become popular. Have you hiked this? Mule

yes. My sons and I stealthed this a year ago, training hike for our White Mountain trip. Didn't know we going to stealth it, got there after dark, there was a parking lot but no camp ground, a couple of cars in the lot. So we left the car and took the gear a ways into the brush. Only about 20 yards from a truck track as it happens, because some local peace officer took a spin through the parking lot, looped around and came in through this track and stopped right in front of us, headlight shining straight at us. We were sitting on the ground, I told the guys to lower our heads and sit still. Officer Truck sat there for a long time, and then pulled away.

If I'd been using triptease we'd have been busted.

Took the hike the next day, when I saw lots of excellent places one could hang, and came across the campground we'd missed the night before.

45 minutes north of Milwaukee? That's getting up there...

just think of all the Hanna Montana you could absorb driving to this one :eek:

There are actually two parts to this part, and the southern one is southwest of Milwaukee. That's still a lot of HM

Grizz

NCPatrick
05-30-2008, 14:08

There are actually two parts to this part, and the southern one is southwest of Milwaukee. That's still a lot of HM

Yes, absorbing HM is a very apt description... :eek:

canoebie
05-30-2008, 14:25
Mule, have you ever hiked the trail along the south edge of Salomonie Reservior (see maps.google.com coordinates 40.784701,-85.624008 ). Not far from you at all.

About 20 miles long. Good for hanging lots of places along the way, although stealth might be needed. There is a campground about mid-way where one could rent sites, pitch tents, and disappear!

Grizz

I used to live in huntington and worked as a waterfront director at Salamonie Reservoir in the early 70's. I am guessing DNR would crack down hard on any camping not in a designated area. It would seem prudent to check with the DNR field office before doing it. They will arrest and then ask questions. Conservation Officers in Indiana have more jurisdiction than police officers, and at least in my experience, they do not hesitate to use it. My $.02.

David

Walking Bear
05-30-2008, 14:30
I did a little Googling and found in Iowa the Yelow River State Forest. States that it is the best backpacking that Iowa offers;)
http://www.iowadnr.gov/forestry/yellowriver.html#backpacking
Have a look.
I would like to have something within a days drive from SE Nebraska.

GrizzlyAdams
05-30-2008, 14:35
I used to live in huntington and worked as a waterfront director at Salamonie Reservoir in the early 70's. I am guessing DNR would crack down hard on any camping not in a designated area. It would seem prudent to check with the DNR field office before doing it. They will arrest and then ask questions. Conservation Officers in Indiana have more jurisdiction than police officers, and at least in my experience, they do not hesitate to use it. My $.02.

David

now I'm really glad we didn't have triptease up that evening.

For a hang whose point is to be a gathering of hangers, a camp ground is workable if hanging is allowed. There's quite a nice site not far from me where hanging anything from trees is explicitly not allowed, camp site or not.

Thanks for chiming in. Good data to have.

Grizz

GrizzlyAdams
05-30-2008, 14:38
I did a little Googling and found in Iowa the Yelow River State Forest. States that it is the best backpacking that Iowa offers;)
http://www.iowadnr.gov/forestry/yellowriver.html#backpacking
Have a look.
I would like to have something within a days drive from SE Nebraska.

I saw that too, looked at some trail journals about it. Seems the camp sites are several miles in...and that the trail doesn't believe in switchbacks!

Grizz

Mule
05-30-2008, 14:50
yes. My sons and I stealthed this a year ago, training hike for our White Mountain trip. Didn't know we going to stealth it, got there after dark, there was a parking lot but no camp ground, a couple of cars in the lot. So we left the car and took the gear a ways into the brush. Only about 20 yards from a truck track as it happens, because some local peace officer took a spin through the parking lot, looped around and came in through this track and stopped right in front of us, headlight shining straight at us. We were sitting on the ground, I told the guys to lower our heads and sit still. Officer Truck sat there for a long time, and then pulled away.

If I'd been using triptease we'd have been busted.

Took the hike the next day, when I saw lots of excellent places one could hang, and came across the campground we'd missed the night before.

Grizz
Wow, You were only a half hour or so from Kokomo. If you ever get over this way again give a hollar. Mule

cavediver2
05-30-2008, 15:02
I have backpacked Garden of the Gods, but what is Fern Cliff? Google doesn't even know the place.

because as I always do I spelled it wrong my spelling sucks

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=Ferne+Clyffe+State+Park,+United+States&sll=37.649034,-89.143066&sspn=8.67683,20.302734&ie=UTF8&cd=1&geocode=0,37.534120,-88.983950&t=h&z=15

and here is the illinois DNR site with some pictures as well
http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/Landmgt/PARKS/R5/FERNE.HTM

fin
05-30-2008, 18:58
Wow, all the cool places to hang in Illinois seem to be south of St. Louis!! :eek: Like I said, it's possible, it would just take an extra day or two for me to do it.

Grizz, the Kettle Moraine has several campgrounds, but the trails are very fractured and don't necessarily run through or close to the campgrounds. It's a great place to hike, and a great winter camping spot, but I've never done it without snow. Most camping would be stealth, and sections of it see a lot of traffic due to it's fractured nature.

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/parks/specific/kms/

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/parks/specific/findatrail.html

Actually, I've been in the Yellow River area in Iowa before, but never hiking. It definitely has possibilities.

fin
05-30-2008, 23:43
More info on WI Kettle Moraine BPS sites:

Northern Unit Backpack Shelter Campsites Kettle Moraine S.F.- Northern Unit's Northern Unit Backpack Shelter Campsites Web Site (http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/land/parks/specific/kmn/PDFs/forestmap.pdf) are for those that prefer more remote camping and welcome the challenge of hiking to a campsite. Five of the shelters are located along the linear Ice Age Scenic Trail and a sixth is in the midst of the Zillmer Trail System. You must camp at a designated shelter campsite. Each shelter site includes an open air 3-sided structure with sleeping benches, fire ring with a partial cooking grate, and a vault toilet. Drinking water can be found within a one mile walk of each shelter. Backpack shelter campsites are not accessible by vehicle. All equipment must be packed to the site and all refuse packed out. Most trail shelter parking areas are within a half mile of the site. Occupancy is limited to 10 persons per site and is limited to 1 night. (Another site may be reserved for the 2nd night at a 2nd location or 3rd night at a 3rd location.) Only one camping party is allowed per site, per night. Important! Reservations for the backpack shelter campsites cannot be made on the web, please use the Call Center at 1-800-372-3607 to make reservations.

I'll have to get more info on where these are - I think one of them is in the Mauthe lake area, which I haven't hiked in a few due to heavy day foot traffic. It could be doable, although I like the Baraboo area better for convenience/central location. And it's a little farther from my house! Parts of the IAT around Waukesha have been paved as Bike paths, which totally blows. They just started linking all the existing trails into one system, and called it the Ice age trail, but each segment is very different from others. I don't recall these shelters, but they may be on a segment I haven't hiked, or cross-country skied when I wasn't looking for shelters.

Mule
05-31-2008, 07:44
More info on WI Kettle Moraine BPS sites:

Northern Unit Backpack Shelter Campsites Kettle Moraine S.F.- Northern Unit's Northern Unit Backpack Shelter Campsites Web Site (http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/land/parks/specific/kmn/PDFs/forestmap.pdf) are for those that prefer more remote camping and welcome the challenge of hiking to a campsite. Five of the shelters are located along the linear Ice Age Scenic Trail and a sixth is in the midst of the Zillmer Trail System. You must camp at a designated shelter campsite. Each shelter site includes an open air 3-sided structure with sleeping benches, fire ring with a partial cooking grate, and a vault toilet. Drinking water can be found within a one mile walk of each shelter. Backpack shelter campsites are not accessible by vehicle. All equipment must be packed to the site and all refuse packed out. Most trail shelter parking areas are within a half mile of the site. Occupancy is limited to 10 persons per site and is limited to 1 night. (Another site may be reserved for the 2nd night at a 2nd location or 3rd night at a 3rd location.) Only one camping party is allowed per site, per night. Important! Reservations for the backpack shelter campsites cannot be made on the web, please use the Call Center at 1-800-372-3607 to make reservations.

I'll have to get more info on where these are - I think one of them is in the Mauthe lake area, which I haven't hiked in a few due to heavy day foot traffic. It could be doable, although I like the Baraboo area better for convenience/central location. And it's a little farther from my house! Parts of the IAT around Waukesha have been paved as Bike paths, which totally blows. They just started linking all the existing trails into one system, and called it the Ice age trail, but each segment is very different from others. I don't recall these shelters, but they may be on a segment I haven't hiked, or cross-country skied when I wasn't looking for shelters.
The "within one mile" thing on water source isn't good enough for me. For my 2 cents, I prefer wilderness, no shelters, no rules. Mule

cavediver2
05-31-2008, 12:40
The "within one mile" thing on water source isn't good enough for me. For my 2 cents, I prefer wilderness, no shelters, no rules. Mule

shawnee forrest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mule
05-31-2008, 14:33
shawnee forrest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Amen !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fin
05-31-2008, 21:58
That is one of the reasons I initially dismissed it to Grizz. No wilderness in SE Wisconsin - all the good trails are up north. 7 hour drive just for me, which is way too far for a group hang. :eek: Although, having an entire island to hike and camp all by yourself on Lake Superior is WWWWAAAAAAYYYY Cool. :cool: I haven't done that since they restricted access and made it a wilderness area. Or the Porcupine mountains in the UP - spectacular hiking, but way too far to go.

Shawnee?

Any more ideas? Want to get enough to do a poll.

cavediver2
05-31-2008, 22:31
shawnee National forrest largest forrest in Illinois. Lot's of place's to get lost in.
if your looking for rock formation garden of the god's in about the same area. Allot of people go there to climb rocks. And if it is just a campout all of those place will work as well. I am really thinking about setting up a campout at Fort Massac state park and I am thinking about doing it very soon maybe we can get some folks from mo,ky,tn,il to come to it kind of a quad state thing.

I will be having several smokers there plus a couple of turkey deep fryer's there as well.

Edit I would also bringing a couple of guitars as well

Mule
06-01-2008, 00:27
shawnee National forrest largest forrest in Illinois. Lot's of place's to get lost in.
if your looking for rock formation garden of the god's in about the same area. Allot of people go there to climb rocks. And if it is just a campout all of those place will work as well. I am really thinking about setting up a campout at Fort Massac state park and I am thinking about doing it very soon maybe we can get some folks from mo,ky,tn,il to come to it kind of a quad state thing.

I will be having several smokers there plus a couple of turkey deep fryer's there as well.

Edit I would also bringing a couple of guitars as well
I could bring a bango and blues harp. Now this smoker and deep fryer thing has my attention.

kwpapke
06-09-2008, 14:09
I'll have to get more info on where these are - I think one of them is in the Mauthe lake area, which I haven't hiked in a few due to heavy day foot traffic. It could be doable, although I like the Baraboo area better for convenience/central location.
Howdy. I'd make the trip if it was to Baraboo or Kettle Moraine. I was born and raised in West Allis and made many trips to Mauthe Lake in my youth, it'd be a real nostalgia trip for me, and I have lots of friends and relatives in Milwaukee I could visit while in the area. Same with Baraboo - grandparents lived in Portage.

I'd be driving from Minneapolis, and can't see driving to all the way to Illinois to camp.

How will we know when we've got enough feedback to make a decision? Seems like there's a lot of diversity of opinions on this, might not be possible to make everyone happy.

--Kurt

NCPatrick
06-09-2008, 20:29
Sounds like Australian to me... put another shrimp on the Kettle, Moraine. Pass me a Baraboo, Allis -- I've got to Mauthe.

No offense intended to any of those places, mind you. :D

fin
06-09-2008, 20:46
Howdy. I'd make the trip if it was to Baraboo or Kettle Moraine. I was born and raised in West Allis and made many trips to Mauthe Lake in my youth, it'd be a real nostalgia trip for me, and I have lots of friends and relatives in Milwaukee I could visit while in the area. Same with Baraboo - grandparents lived in Portage.

I'd be driving from Minneapolis, and can't see driving to all the way to Illinois to camp.

How will we know when we've got enough feedback to make a decision? Seems like there's a lot of diversity of opinions on this, might not be possible to make everyone happy.

--Kurt

Kurt, see the previous posts about the downfalls of the Kettle. I like the Kettle the best in the Fall and Winter, especially Mauthe. It's a great winter camping site and an awesome X-country ski trail.

Baraboo - I like the idea of Devil's lake. Excellent trails, climbing, great scenery, but it's a campground. What about the SW part of the state - do you know anything over that way? The Eau Claire Dells, maybe? We may end up doing a northern Midwest hang, and a southern Midwest Hang.

Sounds like Australian to me... put another shrimp on the Kettle, Moraine. Pass me a Baraboo, Allis -- I've got to Mauthe.

No offense intended to any of those places, mind you. :D

LOL - Eau, Claire; don't Mauthe on yourself. You'll have to Baraboo over the Kettle so you don't wet your Allis. :D:eek:;)

NCPatrick
06-09-2008, 20:51
LOL

Eau, that's bango! :D

peanuts
06-09-2008, 21:00
i have fond memories of those areas!! wish i were there now.:(
i miss living in chicago, so close to my faves places:)

kwpapke
06-11-2008, 08:39
Baraboo - I like the idea of Devil's lake. Excellent trails, climbing, great scenery, but it's a campground. What about the SW part of the state - do you know anything over that way? The Eau Claire Dells, maybe? We may end up doing a northern Midwest hang, and a southern Midwest Hang.
Errr, since Lake Delton was just wiped off the map maybe the whole Baraboo thing isn't such a good idea...

SW Wisconsin: The Sparta area is pretty nice, and has the advantage that we could combine camping/hiking with some of the best bicycling in the midwest - the Sparta McElroy trail is legendary. Its also right off the Interstate, which makes it readily accessible.

Crud: I just checked the website for the Kickapoo Valley Reserve (http://kvr.state.wi.us/), "DUE TO HEAVY RAINS AND FLOODING, ALL trails are CLOSED". Skip that one.:(

Eau Claire Dells: you *do* know they are nowhere near the city of Eau Claire...they are NW of Wausau. Great spot, I've been there a coupla times as my wife is from Antigo (OK, now everyone can make fun of that name;) ) There's a section of the Ice Age trail over there that's been in my sights for a while, but might be better suited for October when the bugs are down. My father-in-law would be happy to do some shuttling for us if anyone wants to attempt that. Links:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/cnnf/rec/trailsntours/che_ice_age_natl_trail.html
or maybe
http://www.iceagetrail.org/PDF/Series%20C%20250%2003-02%20Langlade.pdf

Food for thought,
--Kurt

NCPatrick
06-11-2008, 09:17
Eau Claire Dells: you *do* know they are nowhere near the city of Eau Claire...they are NW of Wausau. Great spot, I've been there a coupla times as my wife is from Antigo (OK, now everyone can make fun of that name;) )

Not trying to make fun (well, okay you're right about that, never mind) :). It's just really interesting to hear so many place names that you've never heard before. It's like hearing a new language for the first time...

Mule
06-11-2008, 09:19
Not trying to make fun (well, okay you're right about that, never mind) :). It's just really interesting to hear so many place names that you've never heard before. It's like hearing a new language for the first time...
I was thinking the same thing!!!

canoebie
06-11-2008, 09:31
I was thinking the same thing!!!

As one who has canoed many rivers in Wisconsin,and the midwest, it is fun to recall many of the areas discussed, language included.

Well, now hey dare, one consideration would be nordern mitchigan eh! Could go right up road one turdy one into Wexford county and camp in dare state forest campground and hike der nord country scenic trail.

Talk about different language. We flatlanders have a lot of fun listening to our fellow Michiganians north, especially north of "the bridge." Yoopers are a whole different language altogether. They refer to us as "trolls" because we live under the bridge.

Not to complicate things, if you are considering a northern hang, Michigan has some beautiful areas with lots of trees, and the North Country Scenic Trail runs right along the Manistee river, crossing the state from midpoint to lake Michigan along the river. A free permit is all that is needed to camp on state land anywhere, and hanging would not be a problem. If anyone has interest, let me know.

David

fin
06-11-2008, 13:56
Not to complicate things, if you are considering a northern hang, Michigan has some beautiful areas with lots of trees, and the North Country Scenic Trail runs right along the Manistee river, crossing the state from midpoint to lake Michigan along the river. A free permit is all that is needed to camp on state land anywhere, and hanging would not be a problem. If anyone has interest, let me know.

David

Well, you accomplished what you said you didn't want to do. That sounds like an awesome trip, but a bit far for anyone on the other side of the big stinky pond (lk michigan.) I don't know if we are ever going to get a consensus, but we are getting a lot of great ideas. Maybe we need to start compiling a list, and thinking about dates as well. I like fall better than summer - too many things going on in summer. Less of all the bad things (crowds, heat, bugs, etc), more of the good (scenery, quiet, etc.)

Errr, since Lake Delton was just wiped off the map maybe the whole Baraboo thing isn't such a good idea...

SW Wisconsin: The Sparta area is pretty nice, and has the advantage that we could combine camping/hiking with some of the best bicycling in the midwest - the Sparta McElroy trail is legendary. Its also right off the Interstate, which makes it readily accessible.

Crud: I just checked the website for the Kickapoo Valley Reserve (http://kvr.state.wi.us/), "DUE TO HEAVY RAINS AND FLOODING, ALL trails are CLOSED". Skip that one.:(

Eau Claire Dells: you *do* know they are nowhere near the city of Eau Claire...they are NW of Wausau. Great spot, I've been there a coupla times as my wife is from Antigo (OK, now everyone can make fun of that name;) ) There's a section of the Ice Age trail over there that's been in my sights for a while, but might be better suited for October when the bugs are down. My father-in-law would be happy to do some shuttling for us if anyone wants to attempt that. Links:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/cnnf/rec/trailsntours/che_ice_age_natl_trail.html
or maybe
http://www.iceagetrail.org/PDF/Series%20C%20250%2003-02%20Langlade.pdf

Food for thought,
--Kurt

If we postpone the Midwest hang until Fall, compile some locations and start a poll of where, and when, all of these options should be available again. Kurt, that's a great place you pointed out! I've done some camping up in that neck of the woods, and it is beautiful country. I grew up with the Chequamegon National Forest in my backyard and the Apostle Islands in my front yard, and spent a lot of time in the Nicolet and the Chequamegon growing up and while in college.

B4 anyone makes fun of the place names (yes, you NCPatrick), let me tell you the story of how the Chequamegon Bay was named on Lake Superior.

Up in Northern Wisconsin, we are known for our long and brutal winters. Before the white man came to the area, the local Chippewa (Ojibwa) and Souix Indians were the local inhabitants. The first fur traders going through the area would canoe in through the lakes, visit the tribes in the spring and summer, and ship the furs back before the brutal winter hit.

After a few years of trading, a local tribe had learned enough pigeon english to briefly converse with the transient fur traders, so an intrepid French fur trader, Francois Tete dans Arriere decided to stay over the winter with the local Ojibwa Bad River tribe to get a jump on the trapping and trading in the spring. After a particularly long winter, he noticed a curious ritual that would take place each day at about the same time as the trees started budding out. A different indian brave was selected each day to go down to the lake and wade up to his groin. He'd let out a "whoop!" and return to the shore. The whole band would then return to their wigwams, heads hanging, singing a mournful song while doing a slow, shuffling dance. Then they would go on with their daily life.

This happened every day for about 3 months, or into late June, when everything changed. They picked a usual indian brave, and sent him into the lake. But this time, instead of the "whoop!", the brave waded up to his groin, smiled and yelled "Chequamegon!", and the entire tribe cheered and dove into the bay!

You see, the whole winter the entire tribe hadn't bathed. They were waiting for Lake Superior to warm up enough to be safe for the women and children to take a good bath, and the indian brave would test the water by wading up to his most sensitive spot. When they could safely brave the cold water of Lake Superior (it's only warm enough to swim in about 2-1/2 months a year,) it was customary to yell out to the local tribe in Ojibwa that the water was again safe to bathe in.

They were so proud of having learned some English, and since Francois was there in their tribe, they decided to yell it in the only other common language they shared, English. Francois, being a Frenchman and not really great in English himself, asked what all the excitement was about. The tribe yelled over and over and pointed at the lake "She Warm Again!" Of course, Francois, being the dirty frenchman he was with no thought of bathing, thought they were giving the name of the bay, and passed the name along to all the other traders. :D:eek::rolleyes:

kwpapke
06-11-2008, 14:14
It's just really interesting to hear so many place names that you've never heard before. It's like hearing a new language for the first time...
Yes, in Wisconsin you're hearing a combo of Indian and French names, which is a bit bizarre.

OK, I'll take another stab at a hangout spot: how about Black River Falls State forest:

http://dnr.wi.gov/forestry/StateForests/SF-BlackRiver/BlackRiver-rec-camp.htm

You can camp pretty much anywhere, good set of loop trails, the soil is sandy so hopefully The Flood won't make things impassable, fairly centrally located and right off I-94.

The backpacker.com Midwest forum had a group camp/snowshoe this winter - seems to have worked out well.

Wisconsin has a LOT of trails, but the state is getting too civilized, many of them are designed for bicycles...

--Kurt

kwpapke
06-11-2008, 14:18
Francois Tete dans Arriere
This was my first clue that I was reading quite a yarn...

--Kurt

fin
06-11-2008, 14:25
This was my first clue that I was reading quite a yarn...

--Kurt

You caught that - good eyes!

canoebie
06-11-2008, 16:18
My best friend lives in Washburn, spent a lot of time there, one summer doing outdoor adventure programs with kids from the Bad River Reservation. Summer of 02. I love that area up there. Paddled the Flambeau. Lots of opportunity there. Loved the "yarn" about the bay. He worked at Northland College. Now a therapist.

Fun to make these connections.

David

fin
06-11-2008, 17:06
My best friend lives in Washburn, spent a lot of time there, one summer doing outdoor adventure programs with kids from the Bad River Reservation. Summer of 02. I love that area up there. Paddled the Flambeau. Lots of opportunity there. Loved the "yarn" about the bay. He worked at Northland College. Now a therapist.

Fun to make these connections.

David

I grew up in Bayfield, and worked for the YCC growing up. I helped build the hiking trail on Oak Island. I miss the country up there, but not the tourists.

Doody
06-20-2011, 20:45
I have been to the Yellow River State Forest in NE Iowa many times. There are 4 "back country" backpack only campsites. One is quite large and is a "Group Site" that the scouts use sometimes. It has some very nice trails. Some are horse/bike use as well but there is quite a bit of hiking only trails. There is Secure parking at the ranger station as well as multiple trailhead parking areas. It's not the SHT by any means but nice.

Two Rivers
06-22-2011, 00:37

David

There are 2 backpacking campsites along the snowmobile trail on the salamonie. About as primitive as you can get there. We were just there last weekend. $10.00 per night. On the South side of the lake. Trail head is at the Mount Etna boat ramp site. From there its only a 1 mile hike and the other site is about 2 miles in. Hope this helps you out some.

Oms
06-22-2011, 06:16
There is a 11 mile backpacking loop in Central Illinois called Forest Glen Preserve near Danville. http://dnr.state.il.us/INPC/Directory/Sitefiles/Area6/howholseeve.htm
I have been there three times, twice in the winter and once just a couple of weeks ago. Never seen anyone else there. The campsites are around three miles in from either end, lots of trees to hang from, picnic tables, outhouses (one not so nice), garbage cans and fire pits. We had a cool weekend so it wasn't bad, but not sure I'd like to do it in the middle of the summer. Water was running at the times I have been there, but it could dry up in the summer. It is the closest backpacking place from Chicago aside from Kettle Moraine South. The shelters at KMS would be difficult for 10 hangers. They are up on higher points and don't have lots of room around them. There are restrictions on the distance to camp from the shelter. I have had visits from the ranger in the past. The Northern Kettles offer more room around the shelters (at least the ones I saw).
As for FGP, you must register a week in advance (worried about over booking, right!), but you can just call and talk to them and good luck finding a map. The station there is a little unorganized. They have maps in the office, but it is never open and they are unable to put it on line. There is a map on a wood post at the trail head. They are mostly older folks and they don't know how to do it. All said, I have managed to follow the red dots on the trees :).

Doody
06-22-2011, 07:49
Forgot to mention, there are no camping fees for the backcountry campsites and no parking fees at Yellow River.

JerryW
06-22-2011, 09:01
Note - this thread is over three years old. fin(the original poster) is currently hiking the AT.

Jerry

canoebie
06-22-2011, 09:01
Thanks Jerry, wondering if I missed something.