PDA

View Full Version : CLOSED:Interest Check: DD Hammock Group Buy.

headchange4u
05-31-2008, 16:09
Okay. I've been talking to Nick, founder of DD Hammocks (http://www.ddhammocks.com/index.php), about pricing for a group buy on the hammocks mentioned in this thread (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4545&highlight=hammock). I am posting this thread to gauge the interest and get an idea on how many hammocks that this group buy may entail. I am setting this up as a poll so that I can get a fairly accurate count of those interested. I just asked about pricing of the 2 models of hammocks: the Camping Hammock and the Travel Hammock. I did not get pricing on tarps, but I can if there is enough interest. Here some info and pics of hammocks.

Please do not vote in the poll unless you are serious about purchasing one or more of the hammocks

If you are ordering more than one of any particular model, please let me know so that I can adjust the count. If you change your mind about purchasing a hammock, let me know so that the count can be adjusted.

Camping Hammock:

Size: 2.7m x 1.4m (~8.6' x 4.6') (comfy for people up to 6ft 5", ~330 lbs)

Weight: 700g (~1.54 lbs) (not including extra 10m of webbing)

Color: Olive green

Includes: 6m of webbing attached plus 10m of new stronger rope / webbing and a small stuff sack.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/headchange4u/DD%20Hammock/camp1.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/headchange4u/DD%20Hammock/camp3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/headchange4u/DD%20Hammock/camp4.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/headchange4u/DD%20Hammock/camp8.jpg

Travel Hammock:

Two layers of nylon so you can insert a pad/ thermarest in cold weather.

Size: 2.7m x 1.4m (~8.6' x 4.6') (comfy for people up to 6ft 5")

Weight: 1.2kg approx (~2.65 lbs) - please note it comes with 10m (~33') of our new/ stronger webbing, which doesn't stretch, attached (5m at either end) - the webbing weighs approx 400g (~.88 lbs).

Color: Olive green

Includes: 10m of webbing (5m attached at either end), 2 x 2m lengths of elastic rope to support the mosquito net and a small stuff sack.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/headchange4u/DD%20Hammock/DDTravelHammock1.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/headchange4u/DD%20Hammock/DDTravelHammock2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/headchange4u/DD%20Hammock/DDTravelHammock7.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/headchange4u/DD%20Hammock/DDTravelHammock6.jpg

Pricing:[/B]
Regarding shipping to the USA, this is unfortunately not cheap. On our website we advertise $50 shipping on any size of order - this is for purchases at the prices listed on our website. For a group buy the postage costs would be at cost price as given below:

Up to 10 Hammocks: $130
10 - 15 Hammocks: $170
If the number is greater than 15 I can quote you a price based on the exact number.

Up to 10 Hammocks:
DD Camping Hammock - $36
DD Travel Hammock (seconds) - $46

10 - 20 Hammocks:
DD Camping Hammock - $33
DD Travel Hammock (seconds) - $42

Over 20 Hammocks - please contact me for a quote.

For example if you were to order 15 Travel Hammocks (seconds) the total price each person would pay (including shipping) would be $53.33!

The only reason they are seconds is because of missing or weak mosquito net loops - other than that there is nothing wrong with them. There are normally 5 loops to support the net at either end so even with a couple of unusable loops the net can still be supported and with 10 minutes sewing you can have all the loops back in place.

Additional costs would be PayPal fees and the cost of shipping the hammocks out to everyone once I get them. I estimate the PayPal Fees and USPS shipping to be around an additional $10 or less. I will have to get an exact price for shipping. Worst case scenario, you are looking at about $63 for the final cost of the more expensive Travel Hammock. Be sure to take into account that a Claytor Jungle Hammock, which is very similar to the Travel Hammock, will run you about $100 if purchased from the Claytor website.

fin
05-31-2008, 21:47
Dang, you had to go ahead and do it, didn't you HC4U? I love my DD, and will HAVE to get another one if we do a group buy. Did you ask him about their tarps? I'd kind of like to see what their tarps are all about.

cgul1
05-31-2008, 21:56
Hey at that price, put me down for one
thanks
Mac:cool:

headchange4u
05-31-2008, 22:24
I'll check and see on the tarps also.

attroll
05-31-2008, 23:01
I have some questions here.

Question #1
I can not see what the difference is between the DD Camping Hammock and the DD Travel Hammock is other then the Travel Hammock having two layers of nylon for a pad insertion. Other then that what is the difference between the two.

Question #2
What is the difference between this and the Mosquito Hammock. The reason I am asking is you can get this hammock for about $30 - $35.

FanaticFringer
06-01-2008, 06:51
The DD hammock is interesting. A non bridge hammock with a pad pocket is about the only type of hammock I have not tried yet. I'd like to know the length difference "between the whipping" of the Claytor Jungle and the DD travel hammock?

Not to hijack this thread but does anyone know if the Claytor No-net hammock has a pad pocket or not? I cant really tell from reading posts on it. You'd think if it did they'd have it on their site.

NONET HAMMOCK
Design: No net. Just a basic lightweight fabric hammock to sling up between two trees and rest. Color: Dark Olive Green Dimensions: 300cm long x 125cm wide (10' long x 4' wide) Comfortable for a person up to 6' 5" and 250 pounds. Weight: .5kg. (1lb.)
COST: US$45 (more than one: US$40).
SHIPPING: WORLDWIDE FREE.

cgul1
06-01-2008, 07:27
Not to hijack this thread but does anyone know if the Claytor No-net hammock has a pad pocket or not? I cant really tell from reading posts on it. You'd think if it did they'd have it on their site.

Yes, the double layer is open on one side allowing pad insertion

fin
06-01-2008, 09:22
I have some questions here.

Question #1
I can not see what the difference is between the DD Camping Hammock and the DD Travel Hammock is other then the Travel Hammock having two layers of nylon for a pad insertion. Other then that what is the difference between the two.

Question #2
What is the difference between this and the Mosquito Hammock. The reason I am asking is you can get this hammock for about $30 - $35.

# 1 - The camping hammock is a no-net. The picture you see where it looks like a net is someone actually between the two layers of Nylon.

# 2 - The DD is 4 inches wider, and 1 foot shorter than a Mosquito Hammock.

The DD hammock is interesting. A non bridge hammock with a pad pocket is about the only type of hammock I have not tried yet. I'd like to know the length difference "between the whipping" of the Claytor Jungle and the DD travel hammock?

The "whipping" of the DD is actually a sewn in channel that the webbing runs through, making it "extremely" easy to replace and mod. I'm not sure what the Claytor is - you would know that a lot better than me. Let me know if you want me to post detailed pics of the DD.

The double layer is nice for inserting a pad, or what I have done in warm weather is put a fleece blanket in between the layers. :)

attroll
06-01-2008, 11:25
# 1 - The camping hammock is a no-net. The picture you see where it looks like a net is someone actually between the two layers of Nylon.

# 2 - The DD is 4 inches wider, and 1 foot shorter than a Mosquito Hammock.

What is the material of the hammock made of? I hate my Mosquito Hammock and hope it is not the same material as that is.

headchange4u
06-01-2008, 11:33
Actually I think the camping hammock is single layer and somehow zips up to form a cocoon. I don't see a net on it. That feature would be nice in the winter, sorta like a hammock sock. One of the pics it looks like someone is on top of the hammock, making it kind of a 2 layer.

FanaticFringer
06-01-2008, 11:34
What is the material of the hammock made of? I hate my Mosquito Hammock and hope it is not the same material as that is.

I hated that hammock also.

fin
06-01-2008, 13:32
Actually I think the camping hammock is single layer and somehow zips up to form a cocoon. I don't see a net on it. That feature would be nice in the winter, sorta like a hammock sock. One of the pics it looks like someone is on top of the hammock, making it kind of a 2 layer.

One layer, two layers..... Semantics. :p:D You can zip yourself inside the fabric, with a layer of nylon above and below you. :) Exactly like a sock or cocoon, with a zipper running the length of the hammock. I don't know if it is two pieces of fabric stitched together, or one large piece of fabric. I had the same questions when I first started looking at the DD's, because those pictures make it SEEM like they are almost identical.

100% uncoated nylon, but not ripstop.

Jim Bowie
06-02-2008, 07:24
I'm not going to vote yet, but I think I am indeed interested in a travel hammock. It'll need to clear waivers (read: wife) first, however.

Question: I only have experience with my HH ULBA; does anyone know whether this hammock allows for flat sleeping? What about side sleeping?

Thanks

headchange4u
06-02-2008, 07:58
Here's some more info got from Nick:

The camping hammock is a 2 layer hammock and also features a zip between the two layers so you can totally enclose yourself inside, cocoon like (and keep insects out). If using a thermarest/ pad for insulation the zip also helps to keep it in place (stops it sliding out from under you). You also have the option to lie out in the open on top of both layers if you wish.

For those of you interested in a tarp:

At present we just have our 3m x 2m Tarp 1 in stock. Our Tarps are not the lightest so shipping of these outside of the UK is very costly. Due to this it is probably not worth including these in the group buy as it would increase the cost of shipping alot. Also we hope to have lightweight versions of our Tarps available later this year and I'm planning a few improvements on the new Tarps other than just the weight. I'll let you know when these are ready.

headchange4u
06-02-2008, 07:59
I also added specs to the first post for the Camping Hammock.

fin
06-07-2008, 22:52
Bump. Any more interest in this?

cgul1
06-08-2008, 22:30
Bump. Any more interest in this?

Perhaps not enough interest?

fin
06-09-2008, 07:10
I think even with everyone splitting the shipping costs, it's that same added shipping cost that is killing this deal. Wow, is it expensive to ship from the UK these days. I used to buy stuff from there all the time, but it ends up costing as much or more than the things you purchase!

Too bad, these are nice hammocks. I would love to get my hands on one more.

headchange4u
06-09-2008, 07:20
I think even with everyone splitting the shipping costs, it's that same added shipping cost that is killing this deal. Wow, is it expensive to ship from the UK these days. I used to buy stuff from there all the time, but it ends up costing as much or more than the things you purchase!

Yeah, the shipping costs from the UK are horrible. It's still a good deal for this hammock and much cheaper if you just ordered a single hammock from them.

I think that if I don't get enough interest to order at least 10-12 hammocks, I'm not even going to bother with the group buy.

fin
06-09-2008, 11:20
I don't think I would get another DD unless we do a group buy because of the shipping cost.

How much longer are we going to float this boat? I might have to get in on the 2-1 skeeter beeter deal b4 morning if we aren't going to do this. Maybe shelve it for a few months, and check again?

headchange4u
06-09-2008, 15:22
I'll let this thread run until at least the end of June. If we haven't gotten enough interest by the end of the month, the group buy will be put off until a later date.

BillyBob58
06-09-2008, 17:20

This really looks much like a Claytor. The Claytor no net is a 10 ft x 4 ft double layer, mine weighed about 22 ozs, and cost $45 including shipping from Thailand. And it is one of the most comfortable hammocks, as is the Jungle Hammock.

headchange4u
06-09-2008, 17:24
I have been wanting to try a Claytor jungle but I like the DD's color much better. That's the main reason I wanted to instigate a group buy. Other than that they look almost identical. It also looks like the DD hammock is a little wider than a Claytor at 4.6', if the Jungle Hammock is just 4' wide.

fin
06-09-2008, 18:37
Yeah, the DD is nice and wide. Sleeping on your side is easy, and the double layer bottom is nice if you use a pad, or even throwing a fleece blanket between the layers.

BillyBob58
06-09-2008, 22:08
I have been wanting to try a Claytor jungle but I like the DD's color much better. That's the main reason I wanted to instigate a group buy. Other than that they look almost identical. It also looks like the DD hammock is a little wider than a Claytor at 4.6', if the Jungle Hammock is just 4' wide.

THAT IS correct, the JH and NN are both 4 ft wide.

fin
06-16-2008, 13:58
Just bumping it up.

headchange4u
06-21-2008, 08:04
Just another bump.

I am thinking about going ahead with this group buy even if we don't reach 10 hammocks. I have been wanting to try out a Claytor-style hammock for a while, especially after trying out Mule's DIY version at the RRG hang out. I've always thought Claytor's were a little narrow for my taste. This hammock is a little wider and I love the color.

So, assuming all 6 people are still in, we are looking $46 for the hammock, approx. $22 each for shipping from the UK, and I am estimating $6-8 for me to get the hammocks sent to their new owners. That's a total of $76, worse case scenario.

So do we still want to go through with this, even if we don't hit 10 hammocks?

Dutch
06-21-2008, 08:43
I would like to get in on this too. If it isn't too late put me down for one.

angrysparrow
06-21-2008, 09:13
Go ahead and put me down for one as well.

Dutch
06-21-2008, 09:39
The world will not be whole until I own every hammock made and every piece of gear the can possibly be attached to it. Only then will peace reign across the land. Evil shall be replaced by good, tears will stop and laughter will proceed with boundless joy. Little boys will look up to their father and ask about the dark times. The time before Dutch owned every hammock made. The days will end that man will kill man, tornadoes swept across trailer parks, and American Idol rotted the minds of the forgotten.

headchange4u
06-21-2008, 10:08
The world will not be whole until I own every hammock made and every piece of gear the can possibly be attached to it. Only then will peace reign across the land. Evil shall be replaced by good, tears will stop and laughter will proceed with boundless joy. Little boys will look up to their father and ask about the dark times. The time before Dutch owned every hammock made. The days will end that man will kill man, tornadoes swept across trailer parks, and American Idol rotted the minds of the forgotten.

Wow. If that's the case you should definitely get one of these hammocks.

headchange4u
06-21-2008, 10:10
BTW,

With Dutch's and AS addition it should drop the price of each hammock about 5 bucks.

jeffjenn
06-21-2008, 12:39
So at this point what would current pricing be? (may help to gain more interest)

fin
06-21-2008, 13:51

LOL - man, you got it REAL bad! :eek: Someone else with an obsession! I think I can outfit a whole troop on my own now, so what's one more hammock, right? ;)

headchange4u
06-21-2008, 16:37
So at this point what would current pricing be? (may help to gain more interest)

Hammock: $46

Shipping from UK (split 8 ways): $16.25 each

My PayPal fee/shipping charges: ~$8 (maybe less)

Total: 70.25

dblhmmck
06-21-2008, 23:45
I'd like one also!

(leaving tomorrow early for backpacking- but I'll be back to complete the purchase by the end of the month.)

seawolf
06-22-2008, 06:49

Shipping from UK (split 8 ways): $16.25 each

My PayPal fee/shipping charges: ~$8 (maybe less)

Total: 70.25

I'm still in, let me know when & where to send the money.
Thanks for all your work.

headchange4u
06-22-2008, 10:27
I'm still going to let this interest check run until the end of the month before I place an order so assume July 1st is the deadline to get in on this group buy.

I had Lone Wolf contact me and say that he wants one. By my count that puts us at 10 hammocks.

Here how we stand now:

Shipping from UK: $13
My Shipping: $8

On the road (or in the trees): $67

Here's the list so far. Please let me know if there are any changes:
angrysparrow
cgul1
dblhmmck
Dutch
FishinFinn
Greg Dunlap
headchange4u
ken209
Lone Wolf
Ripley

OldnSlow
06-22-2008, 10:49
Now that the Claytor no longer opens for a pad in the bottom, I am definately interested in a DD travel hammock. I should be able to utilize the hh hex tarp supplied with the safari. We will need to determine final costs uncluding usps shipping to Canada.

John

headchange4u
06-22-2008, 12:11
Shipping to Canada is not really that much extra. You could probably figure $5 extra dollars and that would cover getting the hammock to you. .

Otter1
06-22-2008, 12:29
Count me in, and keep me posted!

Thanks for the hard work!

GrizzlyAdams
06-22-2008, 13:32
the last time Dutch and I compared numbers of hammocks owned, we were equal.

It is not permissible that he leap-frog me in hammock count. His proclamation here is destabilizing in the hammock race. Therefore, in the interests of maintaining balance and global karma, I too will step in and take HC4U up on his kind offer to run a group buy. I'm in for 1.

Grizz

headchange4u
06-22-2008, 14:40
That's 2 more hammocks, which makes the shipping costs go up a little bit more but the costs of the hammocks go down a bit. Here's the figures now:

Travel Hammock: $42
UK Shipping ($170/12): $14.17
My shipping: $8
Total: $64.17

angrysparrow
cgul1
dblhmmck
Dutch
FishinFinn
Funny Money
Greg Dunlap
GrizzlyAdams
headchange4u
ken209
Lone Wolf
Ripley

OldnSlow, I didn't count you in because you didn't say for sure if you wanted one. Like I said you could probably add $5 to the total to cover your shipping to Canada. I'll try to check this week and get a more exact price.

fin
06-22-2008, 15:05
I'm going to float this out there for potention DD buyers, if HCFU can hold out for a hair longer. If anyone is on the fence about the DD, I am more than willing to share out my DD for people to try out, then pass along to the next on the list. I will pay to ship to the first person, that person pays to ship to the next, etc. etc.. All I ask is a PM when you receive it, and a PM when you ship it to the next person. I will track the current holder of the hammock, and where it is going next. Any takers?

Remember, there is no cost to you until you ship it back to me, or to the next person in line, or unless I don't receive it back. If everyone who is interested PM's me, I will keep track of who requests the hammock and the order the requests come in, then pass the next name and address to the current holder of the hammock for them to ship to.

Caveat - no overseas shipping on this offer. It takes too long, and is too expensive. Sorry, mates! Also, I will require full name, address, and phone # in the PM, no nicknames or screen names, etc. so I can track it back if the hammock does not get returned.:)

angrysparrow
06-22-2008, 16:06
I'm going to float this out there for potention DD buyers, if HCFU can hold out for a hair longer. If anyone is on the fence about the DD, I am more than willing to share out my DD for people to try out, then pass along to the next on the list. I will pay to ship to the first person, that person pays to ship to the next, etc. etc.. All I ask is a PM when you receive it, and a PM when you ship it to the next person. I will track the current holder of the hammock, and where it is going next. Any takers?

Remember, there is no cost to you until you ship it back to me, or to the next person in line, or unless I don't receive it back. If everyone who is interested PM's me, I will keep track of who requests the hammock and the order the requests come in, then pass the next name and address to the current holder of the hammock for them to ship to.

Caveat - no overseas shipping on this offer. It takes too long, and is too expensive. Sorry, mates! Also, I will require full name, address, and phone # in the PM, no nicknames or screen names, etc. so I can track it back if the hammock does not get returned.:)

That's a noble idea, and I'm sure someone will take you up on it. But, I don't think holding off on this group buy to do that is a good idea. JMO

OldnSlow
06-22-2008, 16:27
HC4U, for $70.00, I am in like flint. How do you want payment? I may have to wait until the 30th to transfer the money to you.

Greg Dunlap
06-22-2008, 16:47
I'm in also, let me know how you would like payment sent to you.

Bender
06-22-2008, 20:29
I am somewhat interested in this. Probably one of each. What kinda change am I looking at for this?

headchange4u
06-22-2008, 21:22
HC4U, for $70.00, I am in like flint. How do you want payment? I may have to wait until the 30th to transfer the money to you.

When I'm ready to order I will start another thread with instructions for payment and such, sometime after the first of July. Until then I'm just trying to get an idea on who wants to get in on this order.

FishinFinn,

It's great that you would be willing to loan out one of the DD hammocks for people to try out but I think I will probably proceed with the group buy sometime after the first of July.

headchange4u
06-22-2008, 21:27
UK Shipping ($170/13): $13.08
Total: $63.08

angrysparrow
cgul1
dblhmmck
Dutch
FishinFinn
Funny Money
Greg Dunlap
GrizzlyAdams
headchange4u
ken209
Lone Wolf
OldnSlow
Ripley

fin
06-22-2008, 21:57
When I'm ready to order I will start another thread with instructions for payment and such, sometime after the first of July. Until then I'm just trying to get an idea on who wants to get in on this order.

FishinFinn,

It's great that you would be willing to loan out one of the DD hammocks for people to try out but I think I will probably proceed with the group buy sometime after the first of July.

That's cool - I just wish I had thought of it sooner! Just trying to drum up enough sales to bring our costs down.

If someone wants to review the DD, or just try it out on a weekend hang, PM me. I'll ship at no cost to you - you pay to ship it back to me when you are done. I already have one, with the stock webbing replaced. I still have the original webbing, just prefer my own.

goatman
06-22-2008, 22:42
Can someone post a bunch of GOOD pictures of this DD? I may want one too? :rolleyes:

Dutch
06-23-2008, 08:25
the last time Dutch and I compared numbers of hammocks owned, we were equal.

It is not permissible that he leap-frog me in hammock count. His proclamation here is destabilizing in the hammock race. Therefore, in the interests of maintaining balance and global karma, I too will step in and take HC4U up on his kind offer to run a group buy. I'm in for 1.

Grizz
We already have enough hammocks to destroy the world 4 times over. Of course I'm not disclosing my secret hammocks.

headchange4u
06-23-2008, 13:50
UK Shipping ($170/14): $12.14
Total: $62.14

angrysparrow
cgul1
dblhmmck
Dutch
FishinFinn
Funny Money
Greg Dunlap
GrizzlyAdams
headchange4u
ken209
Lone Wolf
OldnSlow
Ripley
Bender (1 of each)

goatman,
I saw where you voted to get one of the hammocks, but your post said you may want one, so I did not add you to the list. Let me know for sure when you decide.

Our order is at 15 hammock right now, counting the 2 that Bender is getting. I also contacted Nick again to get pricing for quantities higher than 15. He replies back with this:

After 15 Hammocks the shipping will increase considerably due to the fact we will need two boxes (we can fit a maximum of 15 Hammocks in each box).
The exact amount for shipping will depend on the exact number of Hammocks as every kg seems to make a difference. For reference I've added a couple of quotes below:
For 20 Hammocks - $225.
For 28 Hammocks - $280 ($10 per Hammock).

Hammock prices: before I quoted prices for up to 20 Hammocks (DD Camping Hammock - $33, DD Travel Hammock (seconds) - $42). For between 20 and 30 Hammocks I can offer the Hammocks for a further $2 off;
DD Camping Hammock - $31
DD Travel Hammock - $40

From now on I will not update the pricing until we know exactly how many hammocks that we will be ordering and I know exactly what shipping charges are going to be.

He also wanted me to remind those participating in the group buy that the Travel Hammock are seconds and:

Also I've just thought, as alot of people have shown interest in the last few days, it might be an idea to remind people these are 'seconds' - although as I mentioned before the only thing thats not 100% is the loops above the mosquito netting. I just want everyone to be aware (before they order) that there could be a couple of loose loops on their hammocks. Other than that the Hammocks are exactly as they should be.

elcolombianito
06-23-2008, 14:55
i might join the list for the travel.
could i get a similar diagonal position in it as in the heneessy (i dont care abut the netting on my face, just to feel flatter, and in the pictures it looks like i could, my height 1.68m )?
would te TH "fit" properly under a hh hex tarp?
is the buy still until the end of june?

Jim Bowie
06-24-2008, 10:51
I don't want to hold anyone up, but I will be able to decide by Thursday if you are indeed waiting until the end of the month.

fin
06-24-2008, 10:55
i might join the list for the travel.
could i get a similar diagonal position in it as in the heneessy (i dont care abut the netting on my face, just to feel flatter, and in the pictures it looks like i could, my height 1.68m )?
would te TH "fit" properly under a hh hex tarp?
is the buy still until the end of june?

Yes.
Yes.
Yes.

fin
06-24-2008, 11:02
We already have enough hammocks to destroy the world 4 times over. Of course I'm not disclosing my secret hammocks.

Wait, hammocking is by definition Detente. If you disclose 3 of your favorite hammocks or locations, we'll disclose ours. :D

Nightwalker
06-25-2008, 01:17
I'll definitely take the travel hammock with the net, unless extra boxes shipped causes the price to go up substantially.

As I understand it, the current price for a Travel Hammock 2nd quality is going to be around 45-50 dollars, right?

I can go a little higher than that, but let me know if it goes much higher.

[email protected]

headchange4u
06-25-2008, 07:56
I'll definitely take the travel hammock with the net, unless extra boxes shipped causes the price to go up substantially.

As I understand it, the current price for a Travel Hammock 2nd quality is going to be around 45-50 dollars, right?

I can go a little higher than that, but let me know if it goes much higher.

[email protected]

Right now the hammock themselves are running $42 but you are looking at ~62-65 after shipping costs. I won't know an exact price until we get a total on the number of hammocks we are ordering.

Nightwalker
06-26-2008, 11:00
Right now the hammock themselves are running $42 but you are looking at ~62-65 after shipping costs. I won't know an exact price until we get a total on the number of hammocks we are ordering.

Works for me.

Just in case I'm off hiking somewhere, I'll send you my telephone number to call me when it's time if I don't happen to answer online within a day or two.

Frank/Nightwalker

gurutc
06-26-2008, 11:59
I'd like to get in on a Travel Hammock. - Travis Cowan

headchange4u
06-26-2008, 14:41

angrysparrow
cgul1
dblhmmck
Dutch
FishinFinn
Funny Money
Greg Dunlap
goatman
GrizzlyAdams
gurutc
headchange4u
ken209
Lone Wolf
Nightwalker
OldnSlow
Ripley
Bender (1 of each)

Count so far....

Travel Hammock (netting): 17
Camping Hammock: 1

Total: 18

/me pummels recently deceased equine...

The last day to get in on this group buy is going to be Monday June 30th, 2008.

I will not be taking any more orders after that, and this thread will be closed, so if you want one of these please speak up before then and get your name on the list. If you decide that you have changed your mind about getting one of the hammocks, please speak up before then so that I can remove your name from the list and adjust order quantities.

I will send the order to Nick @ DD Hammocks sometime after the buy closes on Monday to get the final pricing for the hammocks and shipping charges. Once I have the exact figures I will post another another thread with the final pricing and payment info.

gurutc
06-26-2008, 19:26
Thanks thanks thanks!

goatman
06-26-2008, 20:24
I'm in! ...but need to know cost before I can get it through domestic politics?

headchange4u
06-26-2008, 20:36
I'm in! ...but need to know cost before I can get it through domestic politics?

Again, I won't know an exact price until the group buy closes and I can submit the total # of hammock that we need so shipping can be determined. The total price at last count was ~ $62 but we have got enough quantity that it will have to ship in 2 boxes (only 15 hammocks per container), so shipping costs may cause the price to go up a few dollars again.

fin
06-26-2008, 21:52
Again, I won't know an exact price until the group buy closes and I can submit the total # of hammock that we need so shipping can be determined. The total price at last count was ~ $62 but we have got enough quantity that it will have to ship in 2 boxes (only 15 hammocks per container), so shipping costs may cause the price to go up a few dollars again.

That's just weird - the price going up the more you buy. Hammocks go down, but shipping costs more.

:D OK, HC4U asked me to post some pics of my DD, so here we go:

The first is just the DD hammock itself - I replaced the webbing temporarily with muletape:

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk297/I_P_G_R_E_E_N/DD%20Hammock/DSCN1259.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/IMG%5Dhttp://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk297/I_P_G_R_E_E_N/DD%20Hammock/DSCN1259.jpg%5B/IMG%5D)
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk297/I_P_G_R_E_E_N/DD%20Hammock/DSCN1284.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk297/I_P_G_R_E_E_N/DD%20Hammock/DSCN1284.jpg%5B/IMG%5D)

The next image is of the tabs that may or may not be missing on a second - s/b easily added if missing:

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk297/I_P_G_R_E_E_N/DD%20Hammock/DSCN1260.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/IMG%5Dhttp://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk297/I_P_G_R_E_E_N/DD%20Hammock/DSCN1260.jpg%5B/IMG%5D)

The next image is of the zipper - I added a little flashlight to the zipper.

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk297/I_P_G_R_E_E_N/DD%20Hammock/DSCN1261.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk297/I_P_G_R_E_E_N/DD%20Hammock/DSCN1261.jpg%5B/IMG%5D)

The next image is of the pad pocket, with my special aluminized rubber pad:

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk297/I_P_G_R_E_E_N/DD%20Hammock/DSCN1266.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk297/I_P_G_R_E_E_N/DD%20Hammock/DSCN1266.jpg%5B/IMG%5D)

This is the inside of the DD - an attempt to show how roomy it is, height and width:

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk297/I_P_G_R_E_E_N/DD%20Hammock/DSCN1278.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk297/I_P_G_R_E_E_N/DD%20Hammock/DSCN1278.jpg%5B/IMG%5D)
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk297/I_P_G_R_E_E_N/DD%20Hammock/DSCN1270.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk297/I_P_G_R_E_E_N/DD%20Hammock/DSCN1270.jpg%5B/IMG%5D)

The tabs INSIDE the bugnet, both ends:

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk297/I_P_G_R_E_E_N/DD%20Hammock/DSCN1280.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk297/I_P_G_R_E_E_N/DD%20Hammock/DSCN1280.jpg%5B/IMG%5D)
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk297/I_P_G_R_E_E_N/DD%20Hammock/DSCN1281.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk297/I_P_G_R_E_E_N/DD%20Hammock/DSCN1281.jpg%5B/IMG%5D)

The DD with the bugnet dropped, another attempt to show just how wide this hammock is:

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk297/I_P_G_R_E_E_N/DD%20Hammock/DSCN1286.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk297/I_P_G_R_E_E_N/DD%20Hammock/DSCN1286.jpg%5B/IMG%5D)

The tag:

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk297/I_P_G_R_E_E_N/DD%20Hammock/DSCN1268.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk297/I_P_G_R_E_E_N/DD%20Hammock/DSCN1268.jpg%5B/IMG%5D)

Laying diagonal:

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk297/I_P_G_R_E_E_N/DD%20Hammock/DSCN1273.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk297/I_P_G_R_E_E_N/DD%20Hammock/DSCN1273.jpg%5B/IMG%5D)

I was going to set up a tarp, but the skeeters chased me out of the yard.

OldnSlow
06-26-2008, 23:23
Great shots!

It seems so much taller than a HH. I am looking forward to hanging in it!

John

eugeneius
06-26-2008, 23:31
Man that thing looks comfy! So I'm assuming the pole that archs to support the netting is on the head end of the hammock, seems like there is excess amounts of space above you, what is the purpose of this? It looks like you could stand up in that thing. Great pics by the way.

Nightwalker
06-27-2008, 00:24
UK Shipping ($170/13): $13.08
Total: $63.08

<snip>
Lone Wolf
<snip>

If that's David from Damascus, boy is he gonna get some grief.

One of his quotes: Hammocks are a fad. They'll be gone soon. HAH!

Nightwalker
06-27-2008, 00:28

Just let me know when you want money. I transferred it from checking to savings today.

fin
06-27-2008, 07:28
Man that thing looks comfy! So I'm assuming the pole that archs to support the netting is on the head end of the hammock, seems like there is excess amounts of space above you, what is the purpose of this? It looks like you could stand up in that thing. Great pics by the way.

There are tabs on both ends (head and foot) that you can run a stick, an arrow, or a hiking pole through to spread out the bugnet, which is what makes the inside of the DD so roomy. I just happened to have some plastic sign stakes that were the perfect length, but you can use anything that will fit through the tabs for this, or nothing at all. Since there are internal tabs, you could run a lightweight ridgeline (or 3, since there are 3 tabs on each end inside) internallly with no mods. That's one of the things I haven't gotten around to yet. You don't feel so closed in with this hammock, even with the bugnet up, and with the 4 foot wide bed, it really feels roomy.

There is one mod that I am in the middle of making on my DD. The pad pocket opening is so large it seems kind of sloppy when the hammock is not occupied, so I'm adding loops to cinch the two edges of the opening together. That is my only dislike, and it's only cosmetic - I rarely use a pad, but when the pad is in the pocket, with the pocket opening running the entire length of the hammock, it looks sloppy to me. Otherwise, I may just sew a partial length of the pad pocket shut, and make the pocket opening narrower.

Nightwalker
06-27-2008, 07:32
Take me off the list, please. I had kind of semi-forgotten an upcoming vacation with the wife next weekend (4 days on the road, meals, motel, fun, etc.)

I think that another hammock can wait, especially when balancing it against a happy/unhappy wife. :-)

Frank/Nightwalker

headchange4u
06-27-2008, 08:46
Take me off the list, please. I had kind of semi-forgotten an upcoming vacation with the wife next weekend (4 days on the road, meals, motel, fun, etc.)

I think that another hammock can wait, especially when balancing it against a happy/unhappy wife. :-)

Frank/Nightwalker

Will do. Thanks for letting me know.

angrysparrow
cgul1
dblhmmck
Dutch
FishinFinn
Funny Money
Greg Dunlap
goatman
GrizzlyAdams
gurutc
headchange4u
ken209
Lone Wolf
OldnSlow
Ripley
Bender (1 of each)

Count so far....

Travel Hammock (netting): 16

Total: 17

headchange4u
06-27-2008, 08:56
Thanks for the pics, FishinFinn

MerryMary
06-28-2008, 09:09
Hi I am interested in the Travel Hammock for my hubby. I need something big and comfy to get him to try hammocking. This looks like it will work. I have not been on the forums for a while (busy life) and so only saw this for the first time this AM. Please add me to the list. Thank you for setting this up, and let me know how to proceed for payment.

MerryMary
(because I am always merry on the trail)

headchange4u
06-28-2008, 10:52
Had another person drop out of the group buy and added MerryMary.

angrysparrow
cgul1
dblhmmck
Dutch
FishinFinn
Funny Money
goatman
GrizzlyAdams
gurutc
headchange4u
ken209
Lone Wolf
MerryMary
OldnSlow
Ripley
Bender (1 of each)

Count so far....

Travel Hammock (netting): 16

Total: 17

Bender
06-29-2008, 11:57
I'm still in!

gurutc
06-30-2008, 05:54
Very still in here. We're down a hammock due to 'In-Laws Liked Hanging Donation Rule' incident this weekend.

- gurutc

headchange4u
06-30-2008, 07:42
Just FYI, but the group buy closes at the end of the day.

Dutch
06-30-2008, 07:45
How many hammocks do we have to buy before they are free. That's how many I want.:D

OldnSlow
06-30-2008, 08:30
"How many hammocks do we have to buy before they are free. That's how many I want."

Gee, sounds like your nationality is similar to your handle.:D

Moi ousi

Ripley
06-30-2008, 22:35
June 30th! It is finally over. I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve. I am still a go here as well. Looking for the post about payment and where to send.

headchange4u
07-01-2008, 09:39
Yep, group buy is closed. I will be closing this thread and I will start a new thread with payment info when I get final pricing. Here is the final list. I will contact Nick in the next couple of days, so if anyone wants to be removed from the list please PM me and let me know within the next 24 hours. After that consider yourself committed.:D

angrysparrow
cgul1
dblhmmck
Dutch
FishinFinn
Funny Money
goatman
GrizzlyAdams
gurutc
headchange4u
ken209
Lone Wolf