PDA

View Full Version : Sorting campouts with sub forums...

JBRanger
01-27-2012, 10:31
Can the mods create sub forums for different regions so as to better organize campouts? It'd be nice to just look in a southeast region sub directory for any upcoming hangouts. Thanks!

Thoughts?

pgibson
01-27-2012, 10:37
This has come up about 10 times in the last year. For various reasons it has not been adopted.

dakotaross
01-27-2012, 10:42
Can the mods create sub forums for different regions so as to better organize campouts? It'd be nice to just look in a southeast region sub directory for any upcoming hangouts. Thanks!

Thoughts?

I agree.

I don't know if a category per state is better than having a region, but at least the states have boundaries - would otherwise have to figure out what sort of boundaries apply to the regions, and make decisions on where certain states fit. Might or might not be easy to do.

NCPatrick
01-27-2012, 10:45
Just my .02:

Since this is a quickly growing, international forum, there would soon be many many regions to keep track of and sort into. Some would be more popular than others, and so subdivisions would soon also be necessary, and sub-sub divisions, etc. on into infinity.

For now, let's see if we can make the current format work while we look for a better solution for tomorrow. Good suggestion though. :)

AScott
01-27-2012, 11:05
Maybe I'm just used to MUCH larger forums than this one, but I don't find it all that difficult to sort through the information here. When checking in this morning after my last visit last night at about 10pm, there is only 3 pages of new content and there are only 10 newly active threads in the planning section. A quick skim of that doesn't take more than a couple of minutes.

After visiting another forum I frequent under the same circumstances, there are over 17 new pages of content.

I guess I just don't understand how there's a need to separate everything into so many sub forums here.

JMHO. I obviously have no say in the matter other than that.

oldgringo
01-27-2012, 11:14
I guess I just don't understand how there's a need to separate everything into so many sub forums here.

I agree......

McRat
01-27-2012, 12:22
I'm not sure it is that much of a problem that requires additional forums.

Maybe the users can make an effort to include specific location and date info in the title? That would certainly make eyeballing the list more convenient for others.

I used what I thought was a really cute title for a group hang, but began to think it would have gotten better response if I had titled it -

"USA > NH > Unknown Pond hang - mm/dd/yy"

instead of

"Journey to the Unknown" (or whatever I called it)

Certainly a time saver for people outside the area.

nothermark
01-27-2012, 12:44
I don't see where separate forums will help as a lot of folks live in areas that overlap. OTOH all one needs to do to get a generic area is read the address of the original poster. Chances are very good that somebody from NJ is not organizing a hike in CO but my be in MA, CT, NY, NJ, PA, DE, or MD just to stay within a couple hundred mile/4 hr drive. If you live in GA it's probably not your thing. If you are in a listed state you probably do or should know where the site mentioned is.

Kasuko
01-27-2012, 12:54
I have just made a new post on how to keep up with the forum.
Visit it here www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=643186

Ewker
01-27-2012, 12:55
rather have the forums for each region or state and yes it is possible

DivaB
01-27-2012, 12:57
I find more difficult when it is named "xoutxzc" (no such thing, but it could be) If people would name it with the state and park as the name, it would be easier to find when doing a search for a particular state hang, and easy to look up with the park name. Also adding such hangs to the calendar is extremely helpful for others.

NCPatrick
01-27-2012, 13:00
rather have the forums for each region or state and yes it is possible

Yes, it is possible.

angrysparrow
01-27-2012, 13:07
AScott and oldgringo are quite right.

It takes a few seconds to scan through thread titles to see if a hangout appeals to you. If one does, subscribe to it or keep an eye on the thread.

If it's too much of a burden to read thread titles occasionally, chances are you're too lazy to physically attend the event anyway.

dakotaross
01-27-2012, 14:28
I think its a bit offensive to say one might be lazy because they are suggesting additional sub-forums. I know you're mostly kidding, but its really not funny if someone is trying to make a point that another way might be better for them. I think its fine that folks have pointed out how easy it is to subscribe and check things that way, but that still doesn't mean its the best way for everyone.

Frankly, I would prefer to subscribe to a GA or SE sub-forum than to have to sift through stuff that doesn't apply to me - not matter how "easy" that might be.

ShadowAlpha
01-27-2012, 14:38
Just my .02:

Since this is a quickly growing, international forum, there would soon be many many regions to keep track of and sort into. Some would be more popular than others, and so subdivisions would soon also be necessary, and sub-sub divisions, etc. on into infinity.

For now, let's see if we can make the current format work while we look for a better solution for tomorrow. Good suggestion though. :)

I ran an animal transport forum - divided into regions;

NEW ENGLAND STATES: VT, ME, MA, CT

Northeast; RI, NJ, NY, PA, MD

Southeast, Midwest, Central, West
and so on with states

CANADA had its own section..

as far as other countries; simply call it OUTSIDE U.S ;)

that would be about 7-8 subforums
or make it less sub-forums by dividing the Northeast & southeast at the mason dixon line :D

my 2 cents

db144
01-27-2012, 14:44
Shadow:

RI should be listed in New England because to reach the state you must drive through Connecticut or Massachusetts.

d

ShadowAlpha
01-27-2012, 14:48
Shadow:

RI should be listed in New England because to reach the state you must drive through Connecticut or Massachusetts.

d

its so little it doesn't count :P j/k
I only drove there there to get hot dogs!

peanuts
01-27-2012, 14:53
how about making sure you add the planned hang in the calendar that is available in this forum already...........just saying

Cannibal
01-27-2012, 14:59
its so little it doesn't count :P j/k
I only drove there there to get hot dogs!
They're called "weiners" in Rhode Island and you are supposed to order them "all the way". I spent 2 years learning to speak to and understand people in Rhode Island; they have their own version of 'English'. :lol:

Part of the problem is this is not a localized (USA) forum; in membership, nor participation. Yes, the majority is currently US based, but that has been changing fairly quickly over the past couple of years. Last thing we want is 3 pages worth of subs covering the exact same topic with the only difference being location, which as has been pointed out, is exceptionally simple to place in the thread title for quick and easy searches.

angrysparrow
01-27-2012, 14:59
someone is trying to make a point that another way might be better for them.

This isn't about one person. It's about the forum at large. We have to decide what's best for everyone. And not everyone agrees that subforums are an improvement.

A forum is an imperfect place to plan events by its nature. It is conversational by design, rather than a place to publish information. Dividing the threads up into smaller sections won't improve that. It will only make it harder to see all of the information in one place. There are numerous reasons why that's undesirable, not the least of which is sub-forum sprawl..which is one of the way forums become wretchedly cluttered as they grow.

The best compromise is actually something similar to McRat's suggestion above, where there is a standardized naming scheme to the threads that starts with the country or region, state, and date. The moderators have and are talking about that. But it's not something that will be implemented without consideration.

JBRanger
01-27-2012, 15:07
Wow. Didn't realize this was such a hot topic. LOL!

For now I'll just abide by the mods rules and subscribe weekly. Thanks for the input.

dakotaross
01-27-2012, 15:46
This isn't about one person. It's about the forum at large. We have to decide what's best for everyone. And not everyone agrees that subforums are an improvement.

A forum is an imperfect place to plan events by its nature. It is conversational by design, rather than a place to publish information. Dividing the threads up into smaller sections won't improve that. It will only make it harder to see all of the information in one place. There are numerous reasons why that's undesirable, not the least of which is sub-forum sprawl..which is one of the way forums become wretchedly cluttered as they grow.

The best compromise is actually something similar to McRat's suggestion above, where there is a standardized naming scheme to the threads that starts with the country or region, state, and date. The moderators have and are talking about that. But it's not something that will be implemented without consideration.

I get pretty tired of seeing a response like, "this isn't about one person". You're right, its not, but the suggestion wasn't about one person either.

Now don't get me wrong here, this isn't that big a deal. Obviously its been covered before and more or less decided it wasn't needed. I know nothing about sub-forum sprawl and what sort of issue that presents. I just know that if I'm on Whiteblaze and I want to see a forum about a specific shelter in GA, I can look in that state or regional sub-forum. I like that.

I agree that perhaps a stab at standardizing the titles might work better.

p.s. is anything ever implemented without consideration?

angrysparrow
01-27-2012, 15:48
I get pretty tired of seeing a response like,

That's a two way street. :rolleyes: