PDA

View Full Version : CLOSED: Thermoflect, Thermo-drape, Aluminized Fabric

AaronAlso
01-29-2012, 13:55
Ok,

I've been thinking about this for awhile and finally think I'm ready to handle the logistics. For those not familiar this fabric is commonly used in hospital surgery garments to keep patients warm on the very cool operating table. (cool temps slow baterial growth)
Ok, I've found 4'x7' blankets in boxes of 25 (http://wilburnmedicalusa.com/patient-care-supplies/apparel/encompass-thermoflect-hypothermia-prevention-system-p-51557)for $150.36 deliver to me. That bring the cost of each to $6.02 for me. But, I only want a few of them to experiment with and maybe make something cool. I'd like to split the costs with other interested parties; if there are any.
As per forum group buy rules I need to include shipping & paypal fees which I've not yet determined. If permitted I would consider adding a $0.73 charge per blanket to account for shipping. Bring the calculation for final cost to X(6.75)+paypal cost | X= nmber of blankets ordered. I'm certainly not expecting to make any sort of mentionable profit. In fact I do expect to have some addiontal expenses come out of my pocket. I am willing to keep up to 10 blankets myself. So, once/if 15 of them are accounted for I will post a 1 week notice with absolute final costs. All interested parties will have this week to make payment via paypal, only.

DocTheo
01-30-2012, 08:47
Count me in for 3!

Ted

Black Wolf
01-30-2012, 08:54
I'm in for 3 as well .. PM sent

inspectorguy
01-30-2012, 08:59
Well, I need 2 of 'em.

plaunius
01-30-2012, 09:09
I'd like 2 as well. PM sent

canteen boy
01-30-2012, 09:11
Sign me up for 2

Black Wolf
01-30-2012, 09:22
that's a dozen in 24 min.. I think you might need to do a double order ...

BlueSkies
01-30-2012, 09:40
I'm in for 2 please.

AaronAlso
01-30-2012, 09:44
that's a dozen in 24 min.. I think you might need to do a double order ...

This was not expected; at all. Well, lets let it go for at least 48hrs and see how many we get.

I'm fine with handling the order and shipping; I got a few helping hands at home. But, I was initialling planning to put 5 out there during "last call" in case anyone changed their mind at the last minute.
If we get enough interested parties to order 2 boxes I'll still keep 10 for myself though. That might raise my final delivery cost and hence the final total cost for everone. (certainly no more the $0.50) I'll look into that and post again later.

Thank you all for your interest. Please continue to confirm your interest via PM as that is what I will use to build my spreadsheet for tracking all this. You can hold off on paypal or shipping info until I post a "Last Call" message. Whem, I do that I will send my paypal info to everyone whom has already ordered and you will have a week to make your payment and get your shipping info to me. (give or take)

Sorry for the slight change of plan mid game I just want everyone interested to have a chance to get in. However, this could get out of hand quickly so I think I'll have to set the limit at 2 boxes. Again, I'll be back with details later.

Pack Mule
01-30-2012, 09:54
Dibs on 3 as well. Paypal?

RedBeardHanger
01-30-2012, 10:01
I’ll take 3…
Ya may have to double or triple your order…!
If ya could send me a PM with the total I owe and your PP addy when I need to pay.

Rooster
01-30-2012, 10:20
I would like two, please.

lmoseley7
01-30-2012, 11:01
I would like to see some pics before I know if I want one or not. how is everyone looking to use these, as a top quilt?

cpresoz
01-30-2012, 11:13
Please put me down for 2 and I'll send you a PM for your spreadsheet.
(I'm thinking of making an undercover with it as my SPE with CCF and 20 degree sleeping bag/top quilt has taken me comfortably down to the low 30's and an undercover to reflect the heat back in and help shield me against wind should take me even further down in temp. I'm slowly approaching the point at which I need to get an underquilt.)
Thanks for doing this!

Poppabear
01-30-2012, 11:29
Put me down for 3 please.

AaronAlso
01-30-2012, 11:34
I would like to see some pics before I know if I want one or not. how is everyone looking to use these, as a top quilt?

I'd like to have pics but they are elusive. I can tell you this material is exactly the same as that used in the Adventure Medical Kits Thermolite 2.0 Emergency Bivy. I'm fact while researching where to buy these I was asked if I was interested in buying the raw material in 1000yd rolls. (ah! Not quite!)

I'm planning to make a sort of summer blanket in the fashion of the JRB No Sniveller.

canteen boy
01-30-2012, 12:31
Some pics:
http://limpeter-mriblog.blogspot.com/2010/01/encompass-group-voluntarily-recalls.html

And:
http://www.thermoflect.com/contact/index.html

plaunius
01-30-2012, 12:37
Some pics:
http://limpeter-mriblog.blogspot.com/2010/01/encompass-group-voluntarily-recalls.html

And:
http://www.thermoflect.com/contact/index.html

Good job! That will help everyone quite a bit.

sargevining
01-30-2012, 13:24
Please put me down for 3

Black Wolf
01-30-2012, 13:34
I E-mailed Thermoflect with the following questions :

Can you provide me with the following on Thermoflect ..
Weight per square yard ??
Recommended thread for sewing ??
Any type of "R" rating ??

There response :

Thank you for your interest in Thermoflect. Please provide some background information on yoshukaiusa and let me know how the product would be used by your company.

I replied what my interest was/is :

I will be using this product for personal use. I'll be using your product to prototype a UQ ( Under Quilt ) that is used for insulating the underside of a hammock. I use a hammock in place of a tent for long distance hiking.
The info inquiry I asked for will be for me to calculate not only my pack weight and possible additional insulating factors. I'll be using as a additional layer to a down filled UQ that I currently use. I'll also share this information with the Hammock Forum community.
If you need any other info from me, Please feel free to ask. Also, if you like to see how I'll use your product after I make it and apply it use in the field, I'd be more then happy to do so.

Still waiting for the reply back .. I kinda think I have them scratching their heads now !!

WV
01-30-2012, 14:13
Put me down for 3 also.

Check your shipping costs and adjust price accordingly. I suspect you're subsidizing part of the shipping, and as the number of orders increases, your "donation" is getting bigger. Try to break even. :)

sargevining
01-30-2012, 15:26
You know, those gowns, booties, and caps may have an application, too. I can see them all being useful in Southern climes where down is just way too much.

TFC Rick
01-30-2012, 16:01

There response :

Thank you for your interest in Thermoflect. Please provide some background information on yoshukaiusa and let me know how the product would be used by your company.

Still waiting for the reply back .. I kinda think I have them scratching their heads now !!

Shoulda told em you were making GIs out of it. :rolleyes:

Dos
01-30-2012, 16:06
put me down for 3 plz

ty :)

(I'm thinking of making an undercover with it as my SPE with CCF and 20 degree sleeping bag/top quilt has taken me comfortably down to the low 30's and an undercover to reflect the heat back in and help shield me against wind should take me even further down in temp. I'm slowly approaching the point at which I need to get an underquilt.)

I was thinking for an OverCover as well....
open to suggestions.....

laser
01-30-2012, 16:21
put me down for 1

Born_Old
01-30-2012, 21:59
put me down for 1 plz

AaronAlso
01-30-2012, 22:12
I have spoken with my support staff. (The Mrs. & kids) I have been authorized to go up to 4 boxes or 100 blankets; currently I have 37 accounted for. I will continue to let this go to see how the interest grows and give everyone a chance to get in.

EDIT: Make that 38

Corncob
01-30-2012, 22:22
Count me in for 3 please.

Edit: that's a total of 41

R3l@x
01-30-2012, 22:41
Count me in for 3.

Thanks!

2Tall
01-30-2012, 23:01
I would like 2 please. Ill pm you as well

Corncob
01-30-2012, 23:10
Put me down for 3 also.

Check your shipping costs and adjust price accordingly. I suspect you're subsidizing part of the shipping, and as the number of orders increases, your "donation" is getting bigger. Try to break even. :)

I highly second this sentiment. Your calculation seems to be missing the shipping to each forum member, which would cost you a lot with all orders combined. :scared::scared::eek:

heywoodja
01-31-2012, 12:48
Put me down for 3 please

linuxhack
01-31-2012, 13:21
2 for me, please.

Cali
01-31-2012, 13:37
3 for me please.

old4hats
01-31-2012, 13:49
I will take 3, please.
Thanks for doing this, I know logistics can tend to get out of hand sometimes, so I hope all goes well.

Boothill
01-31-2012, 15:07
put me down for 2 please

i believe that makes the total 59 so far

boot

AaronAlso
01-31-2012, 18:44

I highly second this sentiment. Your calculation seems to be missing the shipping to each forum member, which would cost you a lot with all orders combined. :scared::scared::eek:

Well I wasn't expecting there to be so many packages to ship out and I probably under-estimated the initial shipping fees.
The problem is I don't know the packed size of the blankets or their weight. I'll try calling the supplier tomorrow.
Currently my powers of inference have lead me to conclude that one blanket will probably fit into a small USPS flat rate box. Maybe as many as 3 will fit into a medium flat rate box.

What this would mean for you all is that on orders of 2-3 blankets there would be an $11 flat rate shipping fee per order. For those ordering 1 it would be only $5. The price of each blanket can come down actually to $6.50 this should cover Paypal fees and variances in final shipping.

The current total is at 59, as per the Spreadsheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Amp-LRFZQiLfdFhSaUhiU2cxenRoNVQ3U3NsR3l6MUE). When we cross the 75 threshold I will make a last call and get the process underway.
Now is the time to double check my work and change minds. Please do so by PM so not to clutter the thread.

Thank you,
-A.A

EDIT: As per TFC Rick's post below I guess we'll go with just a flat $6 shipping per order period, across the board, to include delivery confirmation.

sargevining
01-31-2012, 18:47
No problem on the shipping. My budget figure is $10 per.

TFC Rick
01-31-2012, 18:54
Aaron, I just sent two of these in the mail. You could prolly fit 3 in a small box or the padded envelope I used. I think it was $6.00 or so with delivery conf.

Hope this helps.

Brian in so cal
01-31-2012, 19:01
I will take two also. Tried to put my name on the spreadsheet ala amsteel. But could not add my name. Maybe I am not supposed to do it myself. :)

Boothill
01-31-2012, 19:03
this is just a thought since i don't know exactly how much this stuff weighs

but just sending it in large envelopes first class mail might be the cheapest way, don't know though, just throwing it out there

boot

AaronAlso
01-31-2012, 19:36
Aaron, I just sent two of these in the mail. You could prolly fit 3 in a small box or the padded envelope I used. I think it was $6.00 or so with delivery conf.

Hope this helps.

Why!?!?!?! Oh! WHy!?! Does everything have to be so hard!

TFC Rick
01-31-2012, 19:53
Ha ha. I hope I didn't muddy the water too much. I would suggest waiting until you have them and try a few different methods before you go with a final.

Black Wolf
01-31-2012, 22:26

There response :

I replied what my interest was/is :

I will be using this product for personal use. I'll be using your product to prototype a UQ ( Under Quilt ) that is used for insulating the underside of a hammock. I use a hammock in place of a tent for long distance hiking.
The info inquiry I asked for will be for me to calculate not only my pack weight and possible additional insulating factors. I'll be using as a additional layer to a down filled UQ that I currently use. I'll also share this information with the Hammock Forum community.
If you need any other info from me, Please feel free to ask. Also, if you like to see how I'll use your product after I make it and apply it use in the field, I'd be more then happy to do so.

Here's the reply :

Thank you so much for your very thorough explanation. It sounds like an exciting trip and I would love to know that Thermoflect was part of the adventure!

I spoke with our Product Manager and she said the weight is approximately .093 oz/SY. It does not require special thread and we do not have an R Value for it. Sorry I could not be of more help on that. She did want me to caution you that there is not a UV inhibitor so if exposed to the sun for an extended period of time, it could break down.

I will be glad to provide you with some blankets if you can tell me an estimated size. Our blankets (which are basically just sheets of material) come in 36” x 40”, 48” x 48” and 48” x 84”. I would definitely like to see how you use the product. The application sounds very interesting .

Please let me know what you need and where to send it and I will get it on the way. ""

*** ...With all the purchase's, combined with all the Great Minds here .. I think we're going to blow them away ..
So please let's see and hear what you do with your Thermoflect .. so I can showcase the talent found here ... now do I ask for 48'' x 84'' ??

Dos
02-01-2012, 00:11
I think a great appropriate reply would be to list about 6-10 ideas of what everyone might do here and send it to her that way.
You could also add a hammock forum thread for her later so she can see all the pics, ideas, field tests, etc in one place.
A supplier doesn't want to be all over the place will nilly , but I am SURE they will be very responsive.
Who knows where it will go.... ?

lilricky
02-01-2012, 00:37
.093 oz/SY???? That has to be a typo! Or else SY does not mean square yard. Momentum 55 is .75 oz/SY, if this stuff weighs what they say it weighs, I'm going to build an underquilt and top quilt out of it! Heck, I'll make a tarp too!

UncleMJM
02-01-2012, 00:42
I'm in for 3.

UncleMJM
02-01-2012, 01:17
Tried to put my name on the spreadsheet ala amsteel. But could not add my name. Maybe I am not supposed to do it myself. :)

I tried too so not just you Brian.

psyculman
02-01-2012, 04:23
I would like one please.

TFC Rick
02-01-2012, 06:48
.093 oz/SY???? That has to be a typo! Or else SY does not mean square yard. Momentum 55 is .75 oz/SY, if this stuff weighs what they say it weighs, I'm going to build an underquilt and top quilt out of it! Heck, I'll make a tarp too!

It's very light stuff.

lilricky
02-01-2012, 09:16
It's very light stuff.

It must be, .093 ounces= 2.6 grams, a sheet of regular paper weighs 4 grams. So a square yard of this stuff weighs less than a sheet of paper?? Seems hard to believe.

AaronAlso
02-01-2012, 10:13
It must be, .093 ounces= 2.6 grams, a sheet of regular paper weighs 4 grams. So a square yard of this stuff weighs less than a sheet of paper?? Seems hard to believe.

Yeah at that weight it's approaching anti-gravity status. I'll have to believe that was a typo and 0.93oz/yd^2 is what was meant. That would put each 4'x7' blanket just under 3oz; which seems more believeable.

If this estimate is accurate and my suspicions about warmth are correct. I'm looking to make 1 of these into a second insert for my MM Shamu UQ and maybe hit 20F* in a ~17oz full length UQ; that is modularly adjustable for 3-4 season comfort. (should be perfect for my thru-hike)
Originally I was looking at using Insulbrite for this purpose. However, it is probably 3x the weight of Thermoflect.
The clothing made from this is likely the best alternative to fleece. It will pack smaller, weight less, be less bulky on the body, and should be comparibly as warm, breathable, and wind resistant.
I've considered ordering some of the clothing as well. I just don't see it as feasible in a group buy format; given the different sizes.

TFC Rick
02-01-2012, 10:45
I must have assumed it meant per square yard when I read that. We use these blankets in the OR to keep folks warm. I have only played with a few. I sent some to another forum member who is a DIY magician (no pressure! lol) and we'll see what comes of it. I think they would work for lightweight style blankets. I have no idea of the durability or packability but they are very light and throw back alot of heat from your body.

Really looking forward to what comes from this. Thanks guys for always pushing ideas on here.

gmcttr
02-01-2012, 11:39
PM sent for 3. Thanks

WV
02-01-2012, 11:52
I think they would work for lightweight style blankets. I have no idea of the durability or packability but they are very light and throw back alot of heat from your body.
Key questions. Also are they breathable or vapor barriers? We'll see when we get them. I'm looking forward to lots of original uses. Hammock origami...?

sedohr
02-01-2012, 11:55
I'd like 2......

TFC Rick
02-01-2012, 12:34
Key questions. Also are they breathable or vapor barriers? We'll see when we get them. I'm looking forward to lots of original uses. Hammock origami...?

You know WV I'm not sure. I tried to blow on them and couldn't feel anything on the other side, but it may just be a really tight weave. They should be pretty useful considering.

sargevining
02-01-2012, 12:46
I must have assumed it meant per square yard when I read that. We use these blankets in the OR to keep folks warm. I have only played with a few. I sent some to another forum member who is a DIY magician (no pressure! lol) and we'll see what comes of it. I think they would work for lightweight style blankets. I have no idea of the durability or packability but they are very light and throw back alot of heat from your body.

Really looking forward to what comes from this. Thanks guys for always pushing ideas on here.

I'm hoping it will pack with less mass than the reflectix pad for the HHDJ. I figure on using that as a template to make a replacement. That dang thing is a bear to pack.

Black Wolf
02-01-2012, 12:51

I'm putting this to their Product Manager now .. as well as confirming that the .093 was in fact a typo .. I'm sure it is/was .. they offered to send me some and I'll take a 3'x3' and weigh it when I get it .. they are quite thrilled that this community is interested in Thermoflect and looking forward to seeing our uses ..

AaronAlso
02-01-2012, 15:52
That brings us to 70 as per the Spreadsheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Amp-LRFZQiLfdFhSaUhiU2cxenRoNVQ3U3NsR3l6MUE)
We're getting close.

Bob Mac
02-01-2012, 19:11
I sent a P mail for 2 but I don't see my name on the spread sheet. Am I supposed to sign the spread sheet or what.

AaronAlso
02-01-2012, 19:35
I sent a P mail for 2 but I don't see my name on the spread sheet. Am I supposed to sign the spread sheet or what.

Yep thanks for pointing that out. Got you and Flight Chick there now for a total of 74

Edit: And, I just got another PM for 2 more putting us at 76. That leaves 14 to be claimed. I am going forward with the order. Once the last blankets are claimed the thread can be closed.

Black Wolf
02-01-2012, 21:26
here's the update guys ..

Sorry for the confusion. The .093 was a typo and should have been .93.

In response to your new questions: Thermoflect is inherently impervious. However, when used in neonatal applications, overheating is not an issue as with straight polyethylene. We are working on MVTR testing but it is not yet complete. We receive very few reports of patient condensation. However, the potential is there.

I will get your samples on the way tomorrow. Now a question for you… I noticed the forum link mentioned Thermadrape. Are you considering it for the same application? Just curious.

and then ...

I just found out the .93/sqyd is the substrate. I am on my way to test the GSM myself and will give you an accurate number shortly.

and then ...

Okay…let me try this one more time…

Thermoflect weighs 48 gsm which converts to 1.4156891895740817 ounces per sy. I hope this helps and I am sure the samples will clear up all the confusion.

Have a great evening!

Black Wolf
02-01-2012, 21:28
Ok,

I've been thinking about this for awhile and finally think I'm ready to handle the logistics. For those not familiar this fabric is commonly used in hospital surgery garments to keep patients warm on the very cool operating table. (cool temps slow baterial growth)
Ok, I've found 4'x7' blankets in boxes of 25 (http://wilburnmedicalusa.com/patient-care-supplies/apparel/encompass-thermoflect-hypothermia-prevention-system-p-51557)for $150.36 deliver to me. That bring the cost of each to $6.02 for me. But, I only want a few of them to experiment with and maybe make something cool. I'd like to split the costs with other interested parties; if there are any.
As per forum group buy rules I need to include shipping & paypal fees which I've not yet determined. If permitted I would consider adding a $0.73 charge per blanket to account for shipping. Bring the calculation for final cost to X(6.75)+paypal cost | X= nmber of blankets ordered. I'm certainly not expecting to make any sort of mentionable profit. In fact I do expect to have some addiontal expenses come out of my pocket. I am willing to keep up to 10 blankets myself. So, once/if 15 of them are accounted for I will post a 1 week notice with absolute final costs. All interested parties will have this week to make payment via paypal, only.

is this Thermoflect or Thremo-drape ??

lilricky
02-01-2012, 21:48
Ok, thought that might be it, although I admit, I was having dreams of a lighter than air quilt! :lol:

here's the update guys ..

Sorry for the confusion. The .093 was a typo and should have been .93.

In response to your new questions: Thermoflect is inherently impervious. However, when used in neonatal applications, overheating is not an issue as with straight polyethylene. We are working on MVTR testing but it is not yet complete. We receive very few reports of patient condensation. However, the potential is there.

I will get your samples on the way tomorrow. Now a question for you… I noticed the forum link mentioned Thermadrape. Are you considering it for the same application? Just curious.

and then ...

I just found out the .93/sqyd is the substrate. I am on my way to test the GSM myself and will give you an accurate number shortly.

and then ...

Okay…let me try this one more time…

Thermoflect weighs 48 gsm which converts to 1.4156891895740817 ounces per sy. I hope this helps and I am sure the samples will clear up all the confusion.

Have a great evening!

Terry_Dodson
02-01-2012, 22:38
I sent a pm for 2 also.
Thanks
Terry

n1ck0l3man
02-02-2012, 10:00
PM'ed for 3:D

Tacky Hiker
02-02-2012, 16:25
I will take one !

floorman
02-02-2012, 17:43
I'll put in for 3 will pm you

HappyCamper
02-02-2012, 17:53
I'm in for 3.

Streetgang
02-02-2012, 18:08
I'm in for three as well

AaronAlso
02-02-2012, 20:25
Guess I'm gonna have to close this before I don't get any blankets or we have to go for 5 boxes.

UncleMJM
02-02-2012, 21:38
Why 3? :confused:

It looks like half the orders are for 3 and since I just randomly ordered 3 because I am getting one for each of 3 people, I'd like to know the rationale others are using.

Are there projects in mind that need a certain yardage?

Are there creative ideas for 3 piece sets of something?

What cool ideas am I missing? :scared:

Inquiring minds want to know :mellow:

HappyCamper
02-02-2012, 21:42
Sorry if I missed this somewhere . . . Is there any cotton in this? I tried searching online but didn't find any info about what it's made from.

Girotogo
02-02-2012, 22:14
3 for me please

Girotogo
02-02-2012, 22:15
oops...too late.

DivaB
02-02-2012, 22:49
I'd like 3 also (for the 3 of us) if I'm too late then just add me to a sheet should anyone else back out. PM is sent

sargevining
02-02-2012, 23:30
Why 3? :confused:

It looks like half the orders are for 3 and since I just randomly ordered 3 because I am getting one for each of 3 people, I'd like to know the rationale others are using.

Are there projects in mind that need a certain yardage?

Are there creative ideas for 3 piece sets of something?

What cool ideas am I missing? :scared:

Inquiring minds want to know :mellow:

I'm looking at the possibility of using it as a replacment for the reflectix pad in my HHDJ as it appears a good deal less bulky and may be at least as good an insulator to use here in SE Texas. I can also see its utility as a simple blanket inside the hammock that might negate the need for a sleeping bag, so there's a possibility that I'd need two at the same time. Finally, not knowing its strength and ability to take punishment, I figger it might be good to have one as a back-up, or to use if the first try at cloning the HH reflectix pad goes belly up.

HappyCamper
02-03-2012, 07:11
I got 3 simply to experiment with. If it turns out to be pretty breathable I was thinking of a cover like the Bear Buritto Oven, but not sure if that's the best use of it. That or a tween layer between me and under quilts, as an extra light weight warming layer. Might also depend on what useful ideas others come up with.

AaronAlso
02-03-2012, 07:31
Diva, Giro,

I'm so sorry. I wish I could continue to take orders and let everyone get a blanket to try out. However, I just can't take on too much here or I'll up to my eye balls in Thermoflect. I'm sure we will do another group by in the future maybe the end of summer. I will be sure to message you both, and anyone else who shows interest if/when another group buy is opened.

So, if you missed out this go around PM me and I'll keep a list.

DivaB
02-03-2012, 08:59
Diva, Giro,

I'm so sorry. I wish I could continue to take orders and let everyone get a blanket to try out. However, I just can't take on too much here or I'll up to my eye balls in Thermoflect. I'm sure we will do another group by in the future maybe the end of summer. I will be sure to message you both, and anyone else who shows interest if/when another group buy is opened.

So, if you missed out this go around PM me and I'll keep a list.

That's Ok. I completely understand how much you've taken on!! Thank you very much and I look forward to the next opening if/when you do one.

Dos
02-03-2012, 11:16
PM sent as well as shipping exception

thanks for your time and efforts :)

Black Wolf
02-03-2012, 11:49
PM sent .. Payment and Address Sent as well ...

heywoodja
02-03-2012, 12:02
Thanks Aaron - Payment and PM sent

Boothill
02-03-2012, 12:09
payment and pm sent.....thanks for doing this

boot

Tacky Hiker
02-03-2012, 12:19
Payment sent yesterday !

Thanks !

HappyCamper
02-03-2012, 12:31
My payment and shipping info sent as well. You are now an official "Hammock Forum Group Buy Hero"

floorman
02-03-2012, 14:59
Pm sent and pmt thanks agian

Alan Burd
02-03-2012, 15:03
I didn't have the funds right now to get in on this but am curious what the bottom line cost per blanket delivered with all the added costs. I don't know what paypal charges but just make sure that you don't have to go to out of pocket to cover shipping etc. Will watch and hope for another group buy later. Thanks for taking this on, its likely to be a hassel shipping everything.
Alan

plaunius
02-03-2012, 21:00
Sent my shipping info and money Wed. Just wanted to thank you for all your work! It's mighty nice of you and your family to take this on. Good for ya'!

Poppabear
02-03-2012, 21:50
Payment and shipping info sent yesterday.

2Tall
02-03-2012, 21:52
Where can I find said "spreadsheet" link. Sorry if I missed it.

Oops found it

plaunius
02-03-2012, 22:57
Where can I find said "spreadsheet" link. Sorry if I missed it.

Oops found it

Post 37 in page 4. I'm on my iPad or I'd link you to it.

DemostiX
02-03-2012, 23:13
I'm late, but to offer this advice:

Priority Mail, when they are so light? USPS 1st class envelopes can be as heavy as 13oz anywhere in the country for $3.30.

jonbobshinigin
02-03-2012, 23:21
Well, this is my very first post I think, though I have been an observer for a few weeks. I have a hike coming up on the AT at the end of March and would like to get some of this to try out before then.

Anyhow, I would be willing to purchase a box and do the same for others, or be a part of some other purchase. That said, we should wait to hear the results of the stuff first!

Girotogo
02-04-2012, 01:04
Waiting is a good idea. When the time comes, I'm in for 3.

JohnSawyer
02-04-2012, 02:52

Crud... I have to DO something with these? I'm no magician... Illusionist? maybe... Heck, I got you fooled!

Yes, these are pretty light. Best I can tell it's a spun poly fabric that's been aluminized. They're "ok" warm, but IMHO, So Far, not as good as Insultex, but we'll see.

I have a test-bed UQ (ok, an UQ sized envelope of ripstop with drawstrings) I'm going to slide one in and see how warm it is... More to come...

You know WV I'm not sure. I tried to blow on them and couldn't feel anything on the other side, but it may just be a really tight weave. They should be pretty useful considering.

Using the "breath test:" I don't think they're a vapor barrier, but pretty close, similar to IX, I think they'll breathe, but very little. more like a vapor resistor...

OK, Some details: the one I have is 4'x4', with rounded corners and a cutout for your head. If I ignore the cutout, and square it off, it's 16-sq ft = 1.78sq yds. Weight: 2.4oz. Oz/sq yd = 1.34oz. Of course with the missing fabric, it's probably more like 1.4-1.5oz/yd... so, yes, it's light, but not as light as 1.1 nylon.

Ideas for use:

If I had to guess, this will likely be similar to a space blanket when used between the hammock and an UQ, but with better breathability and a heck of a lot quieter. I'm wearing it like a cape, and it's definitely warm. It is hard to describe. It's not like having a blanket on you, it's like wearing a weak radiant space heater...

I wouldn't lay ON one of these, conduction will out-run reflection any day of the week. Reflectix has the advantage of being radiant reflector, and having some "loft" in a built-in air gap (ok, it's bubble wrap)... Try sitting on a space blanket on concrete... you'll still be cold...

Given their limited breathability, using one as an overcover (as sugessted above) will likely work well, but you'll need to leave SOME air holes to release moisture and get some air exchange.

In a survival situation, one of these built into the back wall of a lean-to would reflect fire-heat and keep you really warm...

I am going out on a limb here, but I am thinking this will work best when there's a small air gap between it and you. Super-form fitting and you will get conduction through the material. With an UQ, it would be best between the UQ and you, unless you're dealing with a lot of wind, then this on the outside would block the wind from robbing the heat from the UQ.

I like the Thermadrape UQ or TQ idea. I wonder how low you could go with just one, maybe 2 layers of this...

John

Other ideas?

AaronAlso
02-04-2012, 07:21
Well John,

Based on the AMK Thermolite Bivy this stuff, when used correctly, should give 10F* extra warmth to a sleeping bag.

I've been pondering a TQ that wil be IX, Thermoflect, Ripstop, one layer of each. If my calcs & guesstimates are correct; it should come in around 12oz and be comfortable to 35-40F*

JohnSawyer
02-04-2012, 08:48
Well John,

Based on the AMK Thermolite Bivy this stuff, when used correctly, should give 10F* extra warmth to a sleeping bag.

I've been pondering a TQ that wil be IX, Thermoflect, Ripstop, one layer of each. If my calcs & guesstimates are correct; it should come in around 12oz and be comfortable to 35-40F*

I like that idea! But aren't radiant barriers better next to you? so: Thermoflect, IX, Ripstop?

WV
02-04-2012, 10:02
Well John,

I like that idea! But aren't radiant barriers better next to you? so: Thermoflect, IX, Ripstop?
Just so we cover all the possible permutations, I'd suggest ripstop close to you, then Thermoflect, then Ix. The ripstop is to prevent conductive heat loss from contact with the Thermoflect. Of course that may be duplicating the function of the thin fabric layer in the Thermoflect itself. I've been wondering how thick a layer you need to prevent conductive loss to other aluminized materials such as the shiny cuben or space blankets. (The Ix is just there to mess things up by being a vapor barrier on the outside. :laugh: )

Aaron, I'm looking forward to trying my own combinations. Thanks for making this opportunity possible.

John, thanks for the measurements and ideas in Post #97 - exactly what we needed at this point. Can't wait to see what you make out of the larger sheets.

Black Wolf
02-04-2012, 10:25
Using the "breath test:" I don't think they're a vapor barrier, but pretty close, similar to IX, I think they'll breathe, but very little. more like a vapor resistor...

>>> This is data from the manufacturer, it's not breathable at all ...

"" In response to your new questions: Thermoflect is inherently impervious. However, when used in neonatal applications, overheating is not an issue as with straight polyethylene. We are working on MVTR testing but it is not yet complete. We receive very few reports of patient condensation. However, the potential is there. ""

OK, Some details: the one I have is 4'x4', with rounded corners and a cutout for your head. If I ignore the cutout, and square it off, it's 16-sq ft = 1.78sq yds. Weight: 2.4oz. Oz/sq yd = 1.34oz. Of course with the missing fabric, it's probably more like 1.4-1.5oz/yd... so, yes, it's light, but not as light as 1.1 nylon.

*** And to the weight >>>

"" Thermoflect weighs 48 gsm which converts to 1.4156891895740817 ounces per sy. I hope this helps and I am sure the samples will clear up all the confusion. ""

So I'd say you're spot on here John ..

Ideas for use: <<< And their reply to this

"" Thanks so much for checking! I look forward to seeing your magical silver devices :) ""

Other ideas? << so be sure to post them up here .. I have forwarded this thread to them and they wanna' see the ideas the stem from here using their products ...

AaronAlso
02-04-2012, 10:29

Yes, this is the commonly held belief with outdoors enthusiest. In the construction field, though, the radient barrier is put on the outside of the mass insulation. Because the insulation is still a thermal body radiating heat. The goal, for buildings anyway, is to keep the heat inside the insulation which is keeping the heat in the building.

http://www.radiantbarrier.com/faq.htm

Because the IX is such low density and so thin. It is my belief that it will have no effect on the thermoflects radient ability. I doubt any significant difference in warmth would be noted in either configuration.
Now if a person where to use the blanket with a lower rate quilt for colder temps. It would be most effective to put the thermoflect blanket on the outside. As with construction standards this will keep the heat in the TQ longer.
If used inside the TQ, you would feel warmth almost immediately but in the long-term you would get cold, I think. This would be because your body isn't able to heat the actual insulation in the TQ fast enough. That's the theory anyway.

Black Wolf
02-04-2012, 13:23
Yes, this is the commonly held belief with outdoors enthusiest. In the construction field, though, the radient barrier is put on the outside of the mass insulation. Because the insulation is still a thermal body radiating heat. The goal, for buildings anyway, is to keep the heat inside the insulation which is keeping the heat in the building.

http://www.radiantbarrier.com/faq.htm

Because the IX is such low density and so thin. It is my belief that it will have no effect on the thermoflects radient ability. I doubt any significant difference in warmth would be noted in either configuration.
Now if a person where to use the blanket with a lower rate quilt for colder temps. It would be most effective to put the thermoflect blanket on the outside. As with construction standards this will keep the heat in the TQ longer.
If used inside the TQ, you would feel warmth almost immediately but in the long-term you would get cold, I think. This would be because your body isn't able to heat the actual insulation in the TQ fast enough. That's the theory anyway.

Perfectly stated .. My thought process is right in line with this .. if you're reflecting 97% of your body heat back to you .. then you're only using 3% of your body heat to warm the insulation .. I tend to think it would be much better to retain as much heat in the insulation ..

gmcttr
02-04-2012, 15:12
Perfectly stated .. My thought process is right in line with this .. if you're reflecting 97% of your body heat back to you .. then you're only using 3% of your body heat to warm the insulation .. I tend to think it would be much better to retain as much heat in the insulation ..

My thinking is just the opposite...I would rather keep as much of my body heat in my body. The whole point of insulation is to keep as much heat in you as possible, not to have something else (insulation) to warm.

DemostiX
02-04-2012, 17:21
There are some hi-zoot gear makers, expedition outfitter types, who mix films like this on the same surface. Example: A waterproof foot to a sleeping bag, because the foot end is more likely to get wet, not so different than a rubberized (and stronger) bottom for a soft backpack.

So, rather than worry the limited permeability of this, why not a quilt being sewn with two fabrics on the same surface? Leighlo, perhaps under the influence of one of the members of her company's board of directors, <smile> used to make quilts with both synthetic fill and down. (Synth on the sides?) Rab may have made down camping quilts with foot-boxes in less-shifty, less compressible synthetic.

Maybe, in this case, the center of a quilt, above or below the body would be of Thermoflect over down, and the sides would be synthetic fill / Climashield, enclosed in quite-breathable nylon. Water vapor would be kept out of the down, migrating through the synthetic-fill sides, but the whole would not feel clammy.

angrysparrow
02-04-2012, 17:24
Please leave this group buy thread for the transaction only.

If you want to discuss the properties of the material, or uses, start another thread in the appropriate forum.

AaronAlso
02-06-2012, 20:26
Man it's all fun and games till an angry sparrow shows up; huh!

Ok, For those involved...

Had a small delay getting money from my paypal account to my bank account. But the order has been placed and will be on it's way shortly. Pending any other unexpected delays I believe everyone will have their blankets well before the end of the month.

Please, everyone, check the spreadsheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Amp-LRFZQiLfdFhSaUhiU2cxenRoNVQ3U3NsR3l6MUE) again. Some of you haven't paid yet, some of you have paid but haven't told me who you are.

Otherwise all is going well, I'll keep you informed.

-A.A.

Dos
02-06-2012, 22:03
Aaron-
I PMed you and Paid you and gave you my proper shipping address on Feb 3rd (see post in this thread).
why does it say N in my column??
(my shipping address is different because I am on the East Coast heading towards my thru hike)
Please pm me and confirm.

mike777
02-08-2012, 01:20
If you end up with any extra, I'd be interested in 3.

Thanks.

sweetmusic
02-09-2012, 14:26
Just found out about this and am sorry to have missed the buy. If any wind up homeless I'd be glad to have up to 3, and if there is a list started for a future buy I'd like to add my name.

gmcttr
02-09-2012, 22:19
Spreadsheet...N=0...Sweet!

jonbobshinigin
02-16-2012, 13:02
Any report yet? I need one for a backup on a hike coming up! That is assuming they are going to fullfill the task.

AaronAlso
02-16-2012, 18:24
Well,

They arrived today! I will be getting things squared away and organized. I hope to have all of them in the mail no later the Monday 2-20-2012; ETA is still 2-28-2012.

2Tall
02-16-2012, 18:27
Well,

They arrived today! I will be getting things squared away and organized. I hope to have all of them in the mail no later the Monday 2-20-2012; ETA is still 2-28-2012.

Appreciate the update!

cpresoz
02-16-2012, 19:19
Yeah! Thanks so much Aaron. I am so excited. Just in time for our Arkansas hammock hang coming up.

sargevining
02-16-2012, 20:29
Whoo Hooo!

Dos
02-16-2012, 20:34
thank you Aaron!

n1ck0l3man
02-16-2012, 22:09
Woot! Thanks for your efforts!

Born_Old
02-16-2012, 22:17
Foresee a new thread, what did you do with your blanket?:confused:

long beach
02-17-2012, 16:59
Looks like i missed this. If anyone has an extra one i would take it.

HURTHEART
02-18-2012, 11:17
I appreciate you efforts. I bet it is more of a project than you anticipated.

jonbobshinigin
02-18-2012, 20:11
As I said, I'd be willing to make another order and facilitate it as soon as I hear the results.

wildcrafter
02-19-2012, 15:48
i might be interested want to hear about results frist

DivaB
02-20-2012, 17:49
For those of us who missed out on the group purchase, but still actively watching to see what you all come up with....please post here the new link for the blanket projects. Thanks bunches :)

AaronAlso
02-21-2012, 07:33
So,

I got all the blankets separated, in envelopes, addressed, &nd double checked. They have all been sealed up and stuffed in 2 boxes to be taken to the P.O. I get there about 3p yesterday to find it closed for President's Day. BLARGH!!! I swear those people get more paid vacations than anyone else. Heck, I think president's day is just an excuse for them to have another day off.

Anyway, I have them in my truck and will be taking them to the P.O. This afternoon as soon as I'm off work. We, might be looking at 3-1, or 3-2 at the latest for some of you. Most, should still get them by 2-28-12.

Cali
02-21-2012, 08:35
Thank you, we sure do appreciate your hard work. :)

Streetgang
02-21-2012, 18:50
AWESOME! Thanks for the hard work on this!

HappyCamper
02-22-2012, 15:52
Thanks so much for all the hard work!

jonbobshinigin
02-22-2012, 20:25
Re-view, Re-view, Re-view!! Please? :-)

n1ck0l3man
02-23-2012, 14:47
Re-view, Re-view, Re-view!! Please? :-)

As soon as I get mine I am going to hang in my yard with my new DIY Topquilt and i will let you know how it goes. I plan on trying it in between the layers of the blackbird instead of a pad (which I hate to carry, but I am to cheap to buy a underquilt). I will post you the link.

Bob Mac
02-23-2012, 18:53
Got my blankets today. Thanks again Aaronalso, for your time. Now to figure out just what I'm going to do with them.

inspectorguy
02-23-2012, 18:55
Got mine today. Thanks!

HappyCamper
02-23-2012, 19:05
Got mine! Thank you!

flight_chick
02-23-2012, 19:36
Got mine....Thanks!!

Pack Mule
02-23-2012, 19:42
Received mine today. Thanks!

Streetgang
02-23-2012, 19:54
Received mine today as well. Thanks for putting it together! THis stuff has some real potential.

canteen boy
02-23-2012, 20:01
Got mine. Thanks for the time and effort that you put into this project.
Warning: Refolding one of these blankets is very Rubix Cube like. :mellow::)

DocTheo
02-23-2012, 21:05
Got mine today! And yes, like refolding an old style roadmap. Anyone still remember those?

Dang this stuff is light.

RedBeardHanger
02-23-2012, 21:16
Wow! That was fast that y’all got them already!
I’ll have mine soon…
I’m anxiously waiting! I have several plans awaiting...

WV
02-23-2012, 21:17
I started a thread for sharing tests of shiny materials here (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=667659#post667659).

sargevining
02-23-2012, 21:42
Received mine. They are thinner that I expected them to be, which rules out one project. I thought I'd be able to make a 1 piece SPE type arrangement by cutting it into a "tee" shape and putting some grosgrain around the edges, but it doesn't look like it will hold its shape for that to work.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e6/sargevining/Hammok%20camping/inhammockhead.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e6/sargevining/Hammok%20camping/inhammockfoot-1.jpg

I'm going to sleep on that tonite to see if it holds up and does anything for warmth. Temps down to 55 tonite. I'm thinking of this for Early Spring/Late Fall, so it will be a fair test.

Going to try and cut one to fit my Hennesey pad, trim with grosgrain, and put some reenforcment for grommets. The Hennesey pad is just too bulky for anything other than car camping, but if I can get this to work, it should pack much better. With the drop, will make a pair of booties.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e6/sargevining/Hammok%20camping/henneseypad-1.jpg

Project #2 is to sew it to the Crazy Crib to use as a UQ. The crib worked well with the Woobie and if this is comparable in performance, it will be a good replacement, and I can still add the woobie to boost it even more.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e6/sargevining/Hammok%20camping/crazycrib.jpg

Thanks for taking on this project, and the fast delivery.

Brian in so cal
02-24-2012, 00:14
Received mine today. Thanks Aaronalso

WV
02-24-2012, 11:06
Received mine.

Also Bump to remind people to post thoughts about uses here (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=668094#post668094).

2Tall
02-24-2012, 11:34
Got mine!!!.thanks a bunch!

Boothill
02-24-2012, 17:17
go mine today, thanks for all the hard work Aaron

boot

Terry_Dodson
02-24-2012, 20:13
Got mine today also. :)

plaunius
02-24-2012, 20:25
Got mine, haven't opened it yet though.

russmay
02-25-2012, 15:23
Is anyone going to make a hammock sock with this blanket material?

Dos
02-25-2012, 15:34

This was one of the ideas I was giving some thought to.
My idea was to make the bottom of the sock with the blanket material
and make the top with rip stop for breatheability.
I was originally going to try it with this: http://www.diygearsupply.com/cgi-bin/shelf.cgi?numb=65 (http://http://www.diygearsupply.com/cgi-bin/shelf.cgi?numb=65)
until the blanket material became available.
I won't be able to get to this project for several months though.

And thank you Aaron! Mine came in today as well. :)

WV
02-25-2012, 18:02
See this thread (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=668094#post668094) for uses and tests. This is the group buy thread.

kreecher
02-25-2012, 19:49
Darn... Too late for the first round. I might be interested in 2 of them when there's a second round of ordering. If shipping to Europe can be arranged that is. In the meanwhile I'll keep an eye on the thread where the experimentation is being done. :)

Do I send a PM to be kept up to date ?

HURTHEART
02-26-2012, 12:50
I was surprised to see the package on my front porch, when I arrived home.
Ofcourse I tried to gently remove the sticker on the blanket, it made a little hole. I guess I will live with the sticker!
Thank you Aaron, excellent job of getting it all done. My daughter and I are very pleased. I used my blanket on my bed last night, since I am always cold these days.
I am not sure what project we are going to use our blankets on yet, this requires some thought and research.
Well done, Aaron.

old4hats
02-28-2012, 15:53
Got mine today, many thanks. Now as soon as someone comes up with some good ideas it's playtime.