PDA

View Full Version : Woopieslings on Hennesey

KAW
02-01-2012, 08:38
I have had a pair of woopieslings for a couple monthe now. I have watched installation vidios etc. I have been reluctant to install. I am trying to figure out if prusic knot loops will still be functional for adjusting factory fly setup. Or will they interfear with the woopies. I have a nice diy sil cat tarp that i use on a seperate ridge line. My dillema is I was cought in severe hail wind and torental rains is the smokies last year. It sure was nice to be double tarped! I will also be voiding hennesey warrenty as soon as woopies are installed! What are your thoughts?:

HighlandHorde
02-01-2012, 09:31
I've got a Hennessy and I switched to whoopies as soon as I could :) I've got my tarp on a separate ridge line but I know what you mean about the double tarping so I have just put the factory prussics back on the hammock suspension (on the whoopies). It seems like it will work fine but I think it will depend on the length of the whoopies (location and length of bury). I will try and get mine setup and post a couple pics soon.

SmokeBait
02-01-2012, 09:46
We make our whoopie slings for Hennessy Hammocks with an extra length of line from the bury of the fixed eye to the constrictor part. This extra length is to allow placment of the original prusik/hook for the original tarp. So, yes, you should be able to attach it if they were our whoopie slings. As far as voiding the warranty, and I'm no lawyer, I don't think they can void it just for installing whoopie slings. Now if the whoopie slings where to damage the hammock, which I've never heard of them doing, then they could refuse to honor the damage.

last1up
02-01-2012, 11:48
I just put whoopies on my Hennessy, and hung it yesterday for the first time. the prusik/hooks fit ok. But the cord that Hennessy uses did not seem to "bite" on the Amsteel good. If I pulled on the trap, they would move a little.

SmokeBait
02-01-2012, 13:24
I just put whoopies on my Hennessy, and hung it yesterday for the first time. the prusik/hooks fit ok. But the cord that Hennessy uses did not seem to "bite" on the Amsteel good. If I pulled on the trap, they would move a little.

Last1up, try giving the prusik 4 wraps around the Amsteel rather than the original 3 turns. That should increase the bite.

shhQuiet
02-01-2012, 14:14
Hmmm... We must have crossed paths as I was posting basically the same thing here (with pictures):

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46377

KAW
02-01-2012, 14:17
Thanks for all the replys. I did get them from woopieslings.com and specified for Hennesey. So I should be good to go. I have some extra amsteel I ordered, mayby I should retie prussics with that. Would they bite better?

bloomgorge
02-01-2012, 14:25
+1 on the extra wrapping but I think you might enjoy buying a ridgeline setup from smokebait as you'll get a tighter pitch on the tarp.

Owl
02-01-2012, 15:17
From what I've read on other threads, I'd suspect that taking off the stock suspension WOULD void the warranty provided by Hennessy.

Don't know that this has ever really stopped any of us from making this change though...just thought I'd mention it since the question was raised.

SmokeBait
02-02-2012, 00:09
From what I've read on other threads, I'd suspect that taking off the stock suspension WOULD void the warranty provided by Hennessy.

Don't know that this has ever really stopped any of us from making this change though...just thought I'd mention it since the question was raised.

If I remember correctly from my years working for an automobile manufacturer, it is the Magnuson-Moss Act that protects consumers. A manufacturer can't just void a warranty at will. If a modification can be proven to cause a failure then the manufacture can decline warranty. An analogy might be like putting aftermarket wheels on your car. It doesn't void the car warranty. Now if the ball joint breaks due to additional stress caused by improper wheels, then the manufacturer can decline to warranty the ball joint but the burden of proof is on them.

Owl, you're right though. This hasn't stopped most of us. Nor is there any trend of anybody's whoopie slings damaging their hammock.

SmokeBait
02-02-2012, 00:13
+1 on the extra wrapping but I think you might enjoy buying a ridgeline setup from smokebait as you'll get a tighter pitch on the tarp.

I'm with you bloomgorge. I like my tarp separate. Even though the stock Hennessy Hammocks have a tarp length not much longer than the hammock, it still sags somewhat when the hammock is loaded. Some like it integrated though. It's a personal choice and variety makes the world go around :)

KAW
02-03-2012, 18:08
I Dont know how every one else sets up a Hennessey. but I have seen so many post about sagging ridge lines? I have to say I have Not experienced this! I set hammock up so ridgeline is slightly less than taught! When In hammock it isnt sagging? Maybe folks are paronoid about to much ridge line tennsion and snapping ridge lines? I dont know but my Hyperlight stock ridge line does not sag!

SilvrSurfr
02-03-2012, 18:19
There's more than one reason to go with a separate tarp ridgeline. I like having the tarp in its own snake skins, with its own ridgeline and stuff sack. That way, I don't pack a perfectly dry hammock into a perfectly wet package.

If you're car camping this might not matter at all to you. However, if you're hiking two or three days in the rain, a different campsite every night, a dry hammock is a glorious thing. And when it's raining cats and dogs, being able to get that tarp up by itself provides immediate shelter for you, your backpack and hammock. You can then deploy the hammock with weather protection.

The first night I used the Hennessy Hammock it rained cats and dogs. When we were packing up to go to the next campsite, that's when I realized the stupidity of hammock and tarp in the same snake skins, or hammock and tarp part of the same suspension system. Too many possibilities for the hammock to get wet for no good reason.

J.Andersons
02-04-2012, 04:46
That,s great information, I,ll write this idea in my notepad!:)

SmokeBait
02-04-2012, 10:36
There's more than one reason to go with a separate tarp ridgeline. I like having the tarp in its own snake skins, with its own ridgeline and stuff sack. That way, I don't pack a perfectly dry hammock into a perfectly wet package.

If you're car camping this might not matter at all to you. However, if you're hiking two or three days in the rain, a different campsite every night, a dry hammock is a glorious thing. And when it's raining cats and dogs, being able to get that tarp up by itself provides immediate shelter for you, your backpack and hammock. You can then deploy the hammock with weather protection.

The first night I used the Hennessy Hammock it rained cats and dogs. When we were packing up to go to the next campsite, that's when I realized the stupidity of hammock and tarp in the same snake skins, or hammock and tarp part of the same suspension system. Too many possibilities for the hammock to get wet for no good reason.

Great points SilvrSurfr. Regardless of what hammock I'm carrying, I'll keep my tarp in an outside pocket of my pack just in case of rain. I can have the tarp deployed in no time and then have a dry area to work/hang hammock.

Hanging_Haunter
02-05-2012, 20:19
I've got a Hennessy and I switched to whoopies as soon as I could :)

Amen, brother!!! I got my Amsteel in the mail yesterday and swapped out my HH Exp'n immediately. Those Hennessy stock ropes are HORRIBLE. Slick, stiff, and bulky... everything you want a rope NOT to be.

Thank you thank you, whoopie sling inventor people, for being so brilliant and resourceful, and to HF for having this info available where I could find it.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e31/pjhawke/smilies/eusa_clap.gif

KAW
02-11-2012, 21:33
Bravo, However, I beleive I posted earlier, I double tarp. Stock Hennesey on stock suspension below a Sill cat tarp on its own suspension. Yes I realise the benifits of a seperate tarp. However , after the monsoon and tornados I Hammocked in the smokies last year, Man am I glad I double tarped at the expence of 8 or 10 oz. No not car camping backpacking.
I installed woopies and tried out back. Guess what they interfer with prusics, or vice versa. I will not go without my double tarp system.period! I might not have survived without it. Many strong gear oninions hear and thats fine. Fact is I have a few two. The woopies seem nice but I may go back to stock? They are absolutly not perfect!

SmokeBait
02-13-2012, 20:24
KAW, if you are using the standard fly that came with your HH, the whoopie slings should have about a foot on each end for the placement of the prusik loop. HH tarps are not much longer than the hammock so that should be plenty. The only time we have heard it isn't is if an oversize fly such as a Hex or Monsoon is outfitted. Perhaps a picture of the issue you are having could be provided. If you ever have an issue with one of our products, you are always welcome to contact us at [email protected]. You will find we do everything possible to ensure satisfaction.

KAW
02-13-2012, 21:56
ITs The stock fly and the prusics on both ends landed right smack dab in the center of the whoopie tension area. It causes conflict. The foot extra is not enough as you are not taking into consideration, the length of the prusics etc. Two feet would be what is needed on each end!

SmokeBait
02-13-2012, 23:00
ITs The stock fly and the prusics on both ends landed right smack dab in the center of the whoopie tension area. It causes conflict. The foot extra is not enough as you are not taking into consideration, the length of the prusics etc. Two feet would be what is needed on each end!

Well that's a first but please feel free to return them. We'll reimburse for the postage. I'll either rework them to provide you 2 feet of clearance or I will build new ones accordingly. Thanks

Mailing address:
Whoopieslings.com
P.O. Box 11
Defiance, MO 63341

KAW
02-14-2012, 10:13
Smoke there was another guy that posted help needed with woopieslings on a Hennesey a few days ago I saw it. He had exact same problem. You are woopieslings .com correct? That is where I bought them. If so I will return and have ya send me a set with another foot clearence. That would be great as I have time befor I hit AT in april. I thought opie was woopieslings.com Wanna be sure returning to right person.

SmokeBait
02-14-2012, 10:26
Smoke there was another guy that posted help needed with woopieslings on a Hennesey a few days ago I saw it. He had exact same problem. You are woopieslings .com correct? That is where I bought them. If so I will return and have ya send me a set with another foot clearence. That would be great as I have time befor I hit AT in april. I thought opie was woopieslings.com Wanna be sure returning to right person.

KAW, I took over whoopieslings.com from Opie a couple of years ago. I was looking at the specs for the HH Hyperlight and it seems that one has a considerably longer tarp ridge length the the hammock length thus the problem. On some of the other HH models, the tarp is barely longer than the hammock and others have reported they only need 5-6" of room for the prusik. My Explorer Deluxe is that way. Yes, send them back and we will fix you up with ones that have 2' between the bury of the fixed eye and the constrictor. I'll get them on their way back the day after receiving them. Thanks

KAW
02-14-2012, 11:41
I will ship out tommorrow that would be awsome thanks!

SmokeBait
02-14-2012, 12:09
I will ship out tommorrow that would be awsome thanks!

Here's a better deal. I saw another post of your where I believe your son has a ENO hammock. What you have will work on that if you so choose. I'll just make up a new set of Hennessy ones with 2' between buries and send them out and you can keep the others as compliments of whoopieslings.com. How's that? You still want yellow and blue?

gargoyle
02-14-2012, 17:01
Here's a better deal. I saw another post of your where I believe your son has a ENO hammock. What you have will work on that if you so choose. I'll just make up a new set of Hennessy ones with 2' between buries and send them out and you can keep the others as compliments of whoopieslings.com. How's that? You still want yellow and blue?

:boggle: Good Karma!! :cool:

KAW
02-14-2012, 20:47
Awsome, Customer service! I will gladly pay for them. You have awsome product but its hard to know if gear manifactures make a simple change etc. I emailed ya back, i will take care of my end as well!
I wish all gear manufactures were as compliant! I have emailed a certain gear maker several times about there pack size charts! I am ready to pop the cash still no reply! So I placed a order and dropped a later note hoping they will double check there size charts for this new pack. Guess what got instant order conformation, but still no reply to earlyer emails. Frustrating! I spose when ya have big Military contracts us little folk dont matter?

KAW
02-21-2012, 13:24
Smokebait, I received the replacements today. I set up and took some pics and sent them to you via email. The New Whoopies will work fine on my Hennesey Hyperlight. I can get a bit more adjustment for clearence from the burys bye shortning the prussics or giving them another wrap!
Thanks Again, I also received my other order as well.:)

SmokeBait
02-22-2012, 11:28
Good deal KAW. Thanks for the update. Enjoy that Hennessy!

KAW
02-22-2012, 15:32
Smokebait, my son came over this morning. I gave hime the woopieslings for his eno and sewed some tie out loops on side of eno for him. He texted me a minute ago. Said he installed the Whoopies and had her hanging. He was using d rings and biners on long straps. He saved at least a Half a pound in weight! Took his long straps back to rei and got figure nines for his new blackbird tarp. He is Stoked! AT will be here soon March 28th!!! I will give Woopieslings.com all the plugs I can on the trail. Thanks again for the Outstanding Customer Service

SmokeBait
02-23-2012, 10:35
Hey KAW, that's great news. Saving a 1/2 pound should really help on the AT. Enjoy your trip and thanks for helping with the R&D work.

Manchego
05-10-2012, 14:51
Thanks again for the Outstanding Customer Service

Good to read since I just placed my order this morning :)

skynyrd01810
05-10-2012, 21:17
I ordered a pair for my son's Hennessy Monday, received them yesterday and helped him put them on last night. He's a happy camper (or should I say hanger)

SmokeBait
05-11-2012, 12:33
Good deal skynyrd01810! Enjoy the hang :)